Start by marking “Manhunting” as Want to Read:
Manhunting

Manhunting

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  12,947 Ratings  ·  718 Reviews
A timeless tale from the first name in romantic comedy - Jennifer Crusie!

OBJECTIVE: Find Man
Must be Rich, Handsome, and Successful

Kate Svenson is attractive, successful, a brilliant businesswoman - and miserable. After three failed engagements, she realises it's time for a PLAN...and organised, detailed agenda with a clear goal: finding Mr. Right.

The Cabins resort is ripe
Published February 1st 2007 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Manhunting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manhunting

Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsThe Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Best Ever Contemporary Romance Books
38th out of 3,310 books — 6,897 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieWallbanger by Alice ClaytonMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
34th out of 2,449 books — 5,534 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark's Book Nonsense
Feb 16, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Manhunting is a five star read if there ever was one. If you're feeling blah and want a good laugh - along with a wonderful romance - you can't get better than this!

Kate Svensen is thirty-five, gorgeous and has a successful career. She's the kind of heroine we all love to hate. But wait a minute this is a Crusie heroine after all and not your standard perfectly coifed heroine. Not at all. Kate may be more successful than most of us ever dream of becoming but she's also insecure and more than a l
Diana
Jul 01, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
There are times when I crave a night of romantic comedies. Manhunting fulfills this hunger in book form.

Is it mindless? Yes.

It is predictable? Yup.

Is it for everyone?Probably not. But that's okay!

For those of you that adore a cute little love story, this is it! I don't know if it's because I haven't read any chick lit lately, but I let my emotions rush with Kate (the main character). I swooned, I hoped for the best and got what I/she wanted.

I guess I was in that type of mood. :)
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 10, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, steamy
This is her first novel?!? There's the cutest note at the front of this book that says it's her first and a favorite as a result. I can totally see why. Jake is cool enough (besides the name, I mean) and I really liked how... dimensional, I suppose... that he was. His attachment to Toby's Corner was endearing, even while his lay about lifestyle is mildly off-putting. His brother, Will, helped that a bit as their relationship and shared insights into Jake actively showed us that he had more depth ...more
Linda

At 35 years of age, Kate Svenson seemed to have it all except a fulfilling personal relationship with....Ta Da!......a man. She needed a good man. Someone to love and accept her for who she was. Convinced by her BFF, she took the plunge and set off to vacation at The Cabins in Kentucky and find her dream guy.

The author has fine-tuned a formula and MANHUNTING had it all. Some insecurity with the H and h. Silly antics with stupid-goofy moments. Crisp dialog that sparkles at select times.
Carrie
Jan 27, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
4.5* This book was so much fun! I loved every minute of it. The characters (all of them) were well done, the writing was hilarious without being slap-stick, and the dialog was sharp and witty. I only wish it was twice as long! Crusie is sort of hit-and-miss with me, I loved Bet Me, and enjoyed Anyone But You. However, I didn't care for parts of Fast Women (too cynical about marriage) and I have attempted and not finished Welcome to Temptation twice. After reading Manhunting, I'll definitely be ...more
Saly
This book was a total hoot because it had two characters who practiced self-delusion perfectly, the heroine with her corporate life and three engagements she broke off, who wanted to have a companion, someone smart and successful and definitely not like the hero Jake who does nothing, ever since he quit his job as a tax attorney in the city and invested all his money in the resort run by his brother and that is where these two meet.

The hero doesn't want to do anything or so he tells himself as h
Emma
I loved this book. I always like a good love-hate relationship, this was particularly witty and enjoyable. All her dates made me laugh so hard! Great RomCom!
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Sep 03, 2014 Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Asher Lee ;)
4 stars

I really enjoyed this one!
It's part of my "Conquer all Jennifer Crusie's books quest" !

If you needed a little motivation to read this one...
Here is what I had the surprise to find in it...

Aubrey
Mar 02, 2008 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance fanatics
This book was hilarious! It is so hard to write a good romantic comedy. This is the first book I've read by this author and checked it out simply because I wanted to read a pink book. Usually I read books where there is a really good romance but not much of a plot, or a really good plot without much of a romance. I felt like this book had both. There were some major steamy scenes, so watch out, but this was one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Sara
This book was hilarious. You pretty much guess how it’s ending from page 5 or 6… but getting there is truly funny!
The bantering is great, witty, and irresistible.
This book is a quick, happy, and easy read. It’s perfect if you’re looking for a literary romantic gateway.
There’s one xrated scene towards the end, if you’re not into that skip a few pages, the story is great anyway.
Siria
Cute, fluffy, and predictable, this is very definitely early Crusie. While it is rather clichéd, and the writing is not technically strong—and I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll ever find a man with a moustache attractive—there is still enough spark in the banter and creativity in the humour to make it more than just a run-of-the-mill Harlequin romance novel. It passed an enjoyable hour or so in work, and if you like Crusie or romance novels in general, you'll probably enjoy this—just don't pick ...more
Lady Heather
May 10, 2013 Lady Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit, contemporary romance
Really good story!
Loved Kate!
Jack certainly took his time getting his head out of his ass, but in the end it well worth the wait!
Jan
On the shorter side, but very cute and sweet. I liked both characters, and especially the inner conflicts they faced. Normally I prefer romances that play over a longer period, but I think Crusie made up for the fact that falling in love in a week is not staying in love forever, by letting the characters aknowledge that and worry about it.

Kate's encounters with potential partners were quite funny, though the last one seemed a bit contrived to me. I loved her early encounters with Jake though, an
Isabella
Aug 25, 2015 Isabella rated it it was amazing
This book was a fluffy, adorable thing. It is funny and light!
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
4.5 stars!

This is one of my favorite chick lit books. It's one that I turn to when I'm in a slump or when I'm in the mood for a funny and cute romance book. I've read almost all of Jennifer Crusie's books and I love that her female characters are always so realistic and a little bit on the crazy side. Kate is a character that I normally wouldn't like. She has a good job and has good money and all she wants is to find a rich and successful guy to marry. This isn't as cold and calculated as it sou
Julie
I've had issues with a few of Jennifer Crusie's early books, but this one was her first, and it's fantastic. Seriously, I loved this. It's bumped Welcome to Temptation from number two to number three on my list of favorite Crusies. By the way, I'm slowly reading her backlist, which is why so many of my reviews here are of her books.

I love stories where people fall in love on vacation. In fact, I'd have to say it's one of my favorite tropes of all time. I also love stories with protagonists that
Rachna R
Feb 27, 2013 Rachna R rated it really liked it
Shelves: fave-romances
4.5 stars -
I think everyone who reads lots of romance has that One True Favourite, the one who gets your favourite tropes and lingers over the parts of a dynamic that matter the most to you - I think Crusie's mine! She's got problems, I definitely couldn't read all of her books on repeat, but there are aspects of things she does that I wish more of the books I read did.

Things she's good at that I love:
- Warmth and affection even during the "I don't need to be attracted to you, I don't even like
Jess
Apr 07, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, jennifer-crusie
Highly entertaining!! This book is all about Kate and her need to find the perfect man for her. She's already been engaged 3 times and never married. She keeps leaving the men after realizing that they aren't right for her. Her and her friend Jessie decide that Kate needs to attack marriage as if it were a business plan. After all, that's what Kate does for a living, so this should be the same thing right? No. Kate comes up with her plan of what the perfect man will be, and Jessie sends her out ...more
Dawnie
edit April.'16
Nothing new to add, it's just as fun and cute and easy to read as the other times. I love the date scenes and how absolutely ridiculous they are. And while the overall idea that people fall in love within a week and just overturn their entire life after that is very far fetched for me it is still a wonderful and very entertaining read!

Highly recommend if you want something fun, funny and cute to read!

Very fun easy read that made me laugh out loud at a few places.

The way the stor
Suzie Quint
Oct 01, 2011 Suzie Quint rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, favorites
I know that for a lot of folks WTT and Bet Me are the best Crusie reads, but this one is my favorite. I've had lots of guy friends, so I love that these two start out as friends. It's so much fun watching them "fishing" and I love how much enjoyment he gets as she manages to cripple every man she dates. I love, too, the way the realization that there's more going on than the friendship just slaps both of them upside the head. (Yes, I've experienced that, too.) This is my go-to for guaranteed ...more
Chelsea
Another fun read from Crusie. It turns out this is actually her first book, reprinted with a much less embarrassing cover (poor Jennifer), and it shows, a little. Not her strongest novel, but fun and silly, and the hero has a mustache. Thought that was worth mentioning. Oh, and someone gets stabbed with a fork! I lol'd, as it were.

She really is good at banter. These characters can go back and forth with the best of them, and I have a huge weakness for solid banter.
Dec 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book reminds me of the movie Casual Sex? with Lea Thompson, Victoria Jackson and Andrew Dice Clay. I watch that movie about every 2 years or so - mostly because it comes on at like 2:00 in the morning and I am too tired to get the remote and I LOVE the 80's stuff so it's nostalgic. Big hair needs to come back. Seriously.

Yeah - Anyway - this book reminds me of that movie.
Lee
Apr 24, 2008 Lee rated it liked it
Okay, so the ending is totally predictable...as in, it's obvious within the first couple of chapters who the main character is going to fall in love with. But the story between the beginning and the end is entertaining and funny, and the dialogue has some wonderful banter. I found myself laughing quite often at the sarcasm and light wit.
Samantha

Hilarious. Adorable.

I'll be reading more Jennifer Cruise as soon as possible.
Wendy Darling
Dec 01, 2014 Wendy Darling rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, read-2014
Fun, though it was a little annoying that she was constantly groped by guys and this was dismissed as harmless fun. Cute book overall, though.
Jen
I really love this book. It is another of my go-to books for when I'm feeling very depressed or having a bad panic/anxiety attack. Like Getting Rid of Bradley, it's a short and quick read that gives me "all the feels." I laugh. . .I cry. :-) Also like Getting Rid of Bradley, it's a favorite book o'mine by Jennifer Crusie. It's sometimes in a tie for first place in my affections, but usually it's my very-close-second favorite, as I think I always read Getting Rid of Bradley first. :-)

I've read th
Olga Godim
Apr 18, 2013 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jennifer-crusie
I’m a fan of Jennifer Crusie. I’ve already read everything written by her, so this charming little novel, one of the author’s earlier books, is a re-read. I picked it off my shelf after I read MrsJ’s review. Thanks, MrsJ.
Like many Crusie’s novels, this story is a romance, but it doesn’t conform to all the romance tropes. Most bookstores shelve Crusie with regular fiction, and I know why.
The protagonist Kate wants to get married. She is tied of being alone. As a very successful and rich business
Shxrxn
Mar 09, 2010 Shxrxn rated it liked it
Why would you say ‘yes’ to three men you couldn’t bring yourself to marry?
- Jessie
If I have everything I want, why am I still running so hard?
- Kate
All you have to do is choose to be happy.
- Kate
I like my life. Stay out of it.
- Jake
The thing about women, is that they got liberated too fast. They never learned to be straightforward about life because they had to sneak around for about a thousand years tricking men into doing things they wanted. So they manipulate you instead of telling you what
Rebecca
Apr 02, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Crusie is hands-down my favorite romance author. This is her first book, and it's pretty straightforward--there are no spies, terrorists, Navy SEALS, disinherited heiresses, demons, amnesia, unwanted pregnancies, time-traveling Vikings, or any of the other things most romances include to provide a plot. Just a man and a woman who don't think they are going to fall in love, until they do.

It's obvious where it's going from a few pages in--it's a romance. But getting there is all of the fun, in thi
2016 Reading Chal...: 1993 - Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie 1 12 Dec 07, 2015 05:05AM
  • True Confessions (Gospel, Idaho #1)
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Be My Baby
  • Sealed with a Kiss (Ty & Hunter, #2)
  • The Stranger in Her Bed (Logger #2)
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1)
  • Breathing Room
  • The Pregnancy Test (Sexy in NYC, #1)
  • She Drives Me Crazy (Walker Brothers, #1)
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

“It was a lot easier when we could just brand'em," Ben said. "Then everybody'd know not to mess with our womenfolk.” 29 likes
“Well, I know better what I don’t want. I don’t want somebody who’s always nagging me to be something I’m not. And I don’t want somebody who thinks she knows what’s best for me and who maneuvers around trying to get me to do things her way.”

Kate frowned. “Nobody wants anyone like that. It’s like saying, ‘I don’t want someone who’ll poke me in the eye with a sharp stick.’ Forget what you don’t want. What do you want?”
28 likes