Start by marking “The Methuen Book of Modern Drama: Plays of the '80s and '90s” as Want to Read:
The Methuen Book of Modern Drama: Plays of the '80s and '90s

The Methuen Book of Modern Drama: Plays of the '80s and '90s

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Published to celebrate twenty years of Methuen's Royal Court Writers Series, this volume contains five ground-breaking plays of the eighties and nineties.

Top Girls: "Builds to a superb, emotion-draining climax that sent me out of the theatre convinced that this is the best British play ever from a woman dramatist."—Guardian

Hysteria: "One of the most brilliantly original an
Published April 1st 2003 by A&C Black (first published June 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Methuen Book of Modern Drama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Methuen Book of Modern Drama

Beth Wright
Jan 27, 2014 Beth Wright rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Beth by: English teacher
Top Girls - As my first introduction into reading plays outside of school, I enjoyed this one (especially the first act) and feel great empathy for all characters involved in the main plot line (i.e. Angie, Marlene and Joyce).
Hysteria - I have an interest in psychology so any content containing Freud I was happy to digest. While it was great to read and very thought provoking, this is one that is would be better performed.
Blasted - Unsure about this one. Maybe it's simply because the experiences
Olivia M
The plays were all of a good standard, in character development, and quality of dialogue - this book is an apt representation of the last two decades of theatre. That being said, each play, to me, carried the same level of inconsequentiality. At the height of this was Sarah Kane's 'Blasted', which was recklessly abstract to the detriment of any potential realism. I recognise that this may just be Kane's style, but in alienating the audience, Kane doesn't achieve any genius theatrical feats. She ...more
Lin
Apr 12, 2008 Lin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Didn't read the whole thing, but a couple of the plays contained within. Some I liked more than others, what can I say? The one with the eye-sucking and the baby-eating I could have lived without, to be honest.
Kimberment
Some okay plays - some not so good. Very brutal plays. Not really my cup of tea.
Diane
Diane added it
Oct 28, 2014
Adrianee
Adrianee marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
anne
anne added it
Jun 28, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Qiong
Qiong marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Aina-Impi
Aina-Impi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Iga Kowacka
Iga Kowacka marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Sina
Sina marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Pratik
Pratik marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Tiago
Tiago added it
Feb 24, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Churchill is an award-winning playwright.
More about Caryl Churchill...
Cloud 9 Top Girls Far Away A Number The Skriker