Start by marking “Elephants Can Paint Too!” as Want to Read:

Elephants Can Paint Too!

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  32 reviews
I teach in two schools.

One is in the city.

The other is in the jungle.

Some of my students have hands.

Others have trunks.

Elephants live in Asia. They eat three hundred pounds of food a day. They spray water out of their trunks. Even so, they are a lot like you. They like to eat cookies and hang out with their friends. They even like to paint pictures.

In this true sto

Published September 1st 2005 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Elephants Can Paint Too!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephants Can Paint Too!

Randy
Jun 14, 2008 Randy added it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was the most surprising book I've read in quite a while. It's nonfiction, and it is indeed exactly what the title implies: elephants can paint too! The author travels to Thailand every year to train elephants to paint in order to help them earn their keep without hauling logs, contributing to deforestation, etc. This subject is obviously fascinating, but the structure is wonderfully appropriate for children, in that she parallels between children painting and elephants painting, which reall...more
Meg
I've had the incredible fortune of being able to see an elephant paint, so I grabbed this book off the shelf when I saw it!

I did not know that elephants cry tears like humans do, and I ALSO didn't know that they like Oreo cookies! I was amazed to learn that they select paint colors, and can even learn to paint trees and flowers. The author's note at the back of the book directed me to her nonprofit's website, which shows some of the more amazing art pieces and has more information about this ef...more
Kylie
Elephants Can Paint Too is a great non fiction book that shows kids paintings done by animals as well as provides students with different facts about elephants. The book is filled with pictures painted by both animals and children.

I would use this book in the classroom as more of an informational book on animals and what they can do. I think children would benefit seeing work similar to theirs in books as well as find it fun to see pictures painted by elephants.

After reading this text, I would b...more
Jackie
This book shows how truly amazing elephants are. Katya Arnold is an art teacher who teaches in two schools...one in New York, one in the jungles of Asia. Elephants can understand and carry out simple commands. They can be 'taught' to paint by using brushstrokes and paint.

Many interesting facts about elephants' habits, habitats, and families are included on the pages of this book that supports the Asian Elephant Art and Conservation Project, an organization dedicated to saving the elephant.

Used...more
Jim
Elephants Can Paint Too is a very imaginative book that teaches children very important lessons about elephants. The book not only discusses elephants interaction with humans but intelligently speaks about endangered species. The book details how the elephants were taught to paint and their of pictures of elephants painting and showing their finished work. Elephant art is sold all over the world and the proceeds is used for the preservation of the elephants.

The photos in this book gives the read...more
Dolly
Sep 30, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting book that shows how elephants can learn to paint, just as children do. The author teaches both and shows that elephants are playful, mischievous, curious, and even silly.

The narrative is short and the illustrations consist of big, colorful photographs that depict the artists and their artwork.

We really enjoyed reading this book together, especially the author's note at the end that explains her motivation for teaching elephants to paint as well as her promise to donate p...more
Baylee Washburn
Photography is used as a visual medium to infuse a sense of the real world into the pages of this book. Written by a New York teacher who also spends time lending a hand to the Asian Elephant Art and Conservation Project, this picture book effectively uses photography to make a realistic connection between students in Brooklyn, New York and elephants in the Thailand jungle. By illustrating this book with actual photos of children and elephants participating in similar activities and behaviors, t...more
Karla Talbot
Use with The One and Only Ivan.
Chris Young
An artist compares teaching painting to children and elephants, and the elephants are often better painters than the children. I found this book by accident and it made me want to cry. An unexpected look at the joy of artistic expression that I usually attribute to human beings. It's nice to know that I still have a lot to learn.
Andrea
My 5-year-old loves this book and finds it inspiring. Right now, she is doing large "elephant" paintings with lots of dots and dabs. She particularly likes to paint while I read it to her. She really seems to relate to those elephants--the way the books parallels the artwork and behavior of children and elephants is wonderful.
Debbie Hoskins
I did find this book recommended as a non-fiction book to read in storytimes. I have used it alot.
It works for an art or creative theme.

I included it in a collection of books outside at an "artfest" during ArtPrize in Grand Rapids. Of all the books I had out, this one was looked at most by adults and kids.
Pamela
Love this book! March's National Geographic issue explores the minds of animals. Specifically, elephants possess a sense of self and retain long memories. Now I've learned that they can also learn to paint, even flowers and trees with a few years of practice. Amazing animals.
I read this to my elementary students at the library last week and we all loved it. I did a little Googling and discovered that elephants can see two colors, so they likely view the world as a color-blind person does. This is a great non-fiction attention-grabbing read-a-loud.
Rachel
I begrudingly picked up this book thinking it would be too cutesy. But I really enjoyed reading it. The author teaches elementary school kids in NY and elephants in Thailand to paint. It was fascinating to learn about how the pachyderms learn how to paint.
Patty
The author writes of her own experiences with teaching children and elephants to paint. Yes, it's true: Elephants CAN Paint! Complete with laugh-out-loud parts, all my kids loved this book. I rarely buy books, but I just had to have this one.
Drew Paige
Great relation showing that animals aren't so different than people. Something as big as an elephant can paint just like you and me. It shows a great connection that if you put your mind to it even an elephant can accomplish anything!
Shelley
This is a book you can use for science. The book has a lot of information about elephants, as well as a true story about how they paint. This is a good book to use to discuss the characteristics of elephants.
Ralf Urbach
Im a big fan of art and in any form. This was a wonderful book to show my children that anybody/ anything could paint and it could be beautiful no matter what type of criticism is given.
Becca Holcomb
Elephants can paint too is great to teach young readers about different jobs. This is also a good story to show children that they can do anything they set their mind too!
Cathy
An informational book on how Asian elephants learn to paint alongside children. Kids will enjoy seeing photographs of the painting elephants and their paintings.
Diana Pettis
Xander really liked this text being interested in elephants. Another recommendation for read-aloud.

Great for children 6 and under in my opinion.
Kristin
I plan to use this with the videos of the elephants painting and a clip about the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, TN.
Inspired Kathy
Surprisingly I loved this non-fiction picture book. I had no clue that elephants could be taught to paint.
Crizzle
What an interesting and amazing book! I never knew elephants could paint such details; incredible!
Jenny Wright
Cute story comparing one teacher's class of human students and her elephant students. : )
Mychelle
the BEST kids book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anne
Great fun at an art or elephant-themed storytime.
Susan Erhardt
A fun nonfiction book that reads like a picture book.
Colby Sharp
Elephants painting rocks!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Baba Yaga: A Russian Folktale Katya's Book of Mushrooms That Apple Is Mine! Duck, Duck, Goose? The Adventures of Snowwoman: A Winter Tale Based on a Story by Vladimir Grigorievich Stuteev