Start by marking “Elephants Can Paint Too!” as Want to Read:
Elephants Can Paint Too!

Elephants Can Paint Too!

I teach in two schools.

One is in the city.

The other is in the jungle.

Some of my students have hands.

Others have trunks.

Elephants live in Asia. They eat three hundred pounds of food a day. They spray water out of their trunks. Even so, they are a lot like you. They like to eat cookies and hang out with their friends. They even like to paint pictures.

In this true sto

Published September 1st 2005 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Elephants Can Paint Too!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephants Can Paint Too!

Randy
Jun 14, 2008 Randy added it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was the most surprising book I've read in quite a while. It's nonfiction, and it is indeed exactly what the title implies: elephants can paint too! The author travels to Thailand every year to train elephants to paint in order to help them earn their keep without hauling logs, contributing to deforestation, etc. This subject is obviously fascinating, but the structure is wonderfully appropriate for children, in that she parallels between children painting and elephants painting, which reall ...more
Kylie
Feb 12, 2013 Kylie rated it really liked it
Elephants Can Paint Too is a great non fiction book that shows kids paintings done by animals as well as provides students with different facts about elephants. The book is filled with pictures painted by both animals and children.

I would use this book in the classroom as more of an informational book on animals and what they can do. I think children would benefit seeing work similar to theirs in books as well as find it fun to see pictures painted by elephants.

After reading this text, I would b
Meg
Feb 20, 2014 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, children
I've had the incredible fortune of being able to see an elephant paint, so I grabbed this book off the shelf when I saw it!

I did not know that elephants cry tears like humans do, and I ALSO didn't know that they like Oreo cookies! I was amazed to learn that they select paint colors, and can even learn to paint trees and flowers. The author's note at the back of the book directed me to her nonprofit's website, which shows some of the more amazing art pieces and has more information about this ef
Becky
May 26, 2017 Becky rated it it was amazing
First sentence: I teach in two schools. One is in the city. The other is in the jungle. Some of my students have hands. Others have trunks. Some students eat grass. Others eat peanut butter and jelly. But they all love cookies.

Premise/plot: Elephants Can Paint Too is a WONDERFUL nonfiction picture book. There is a simple, straightforward text that would be more than suitable for sharing with the youngest of readers. Yet, there's additional text that is just PACKED with fascinating details. I hav
Eric Finn
Nov 17, 2015 Eric Finn rated it really liked it
Very cute book about how elephants can't learn to paint just like kids can. Everyone has their own style of painting which can be appreciated by anyone as well. A good book to show kids that no matter what it's not a bad thing to have your own style and work on it like an elephant would have to to learn how to paint, and at the same time, we're not much different from the animals too. We like the same things, like grass, water, and, of course, cookies but at the same time learn at your own pace ...more
Jackie
This book shows how truly amazing elephants are. Katya Arnold is an art teacher who teaches in two schools...one in New York, one in the jungles of Asia. Elephants can understand and carry out simple commands. They can be 'taught' to paint by using brushstrokes and paint.

Many interesting facts about elephants' habits, habitats, and families are included on the pages of this book that supports the Asian Elephant Art and Conservation Project, an organization dedicated to saving the elephant.

Used
Jim
Oct 09, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Elephants Can Paint Too is a very imaginative book that teaches children very important lessons about elephants. The book not only discusses elephants interaction with humans but intelligently speaks about endangered species. The book details how the elephants were taught to paint and their of pictures of elephants painting and showing their finished work. Elephant art is sold all over the world and the proceeds is used for the preservation of the elephants.

The photos in this book gives the read
Baylee Washburn
Mar 04, 2010 Baylee Washburn rated it it was ok
Photography is used as a visual medium to infuse a sense of the real world into the pages of this book. Written by a New York teacher who also spends time lending a hand to the Asian Elephant Art and Conservation Project, this picture book effectively uses photography to make a realistic connection between students in Brooklyn, New York and elephants in the Thailand jungle. By illustrating this book with actual photos of children and elephants participating in similar activities and behaviors, t ...more
Dolly
Sep 27, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting book that shows how elephants can learn to paint, just as children do. The author teaches both and shows that elephants are playful, mischievous, curious, and even silly.

The narrative is short and the illustrations consist of big, colorful photographs that depict the artists and their artwork.

We really enjoyed reading this book together, especially the author's note at the end that explains her motivation for teaching elephants to paint as well as her promise to donate p
Debbie Hoskins
Oct 15, 2011 Debbie Hoskins rated it really liked it
I did find this book recommended as a non-fiction book to read in storytimes. I have used it alot.
It works for an art or creative theme.

I included it in a collection of books outside at an "artfest" during ArtPrize in Grand Rapids. Of all the books I had out, this one was looked at most by adults and kids.
Andrea
Jun 03, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing
My 5-year-old loves this book and finds it inspiring. Right now, she is doing large "elephant" paintings with lots of dots and dabs. She particularly likes to paint while I read it to her. She really seems to relate to those elephants--the way the books parallels the artwork and behavior of children and elephants is wonderful.
Traci Bold
Jun 30, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
An exceptional picture book about elephants and their skill at painting. Great photos of kids and elephants painting. Interesting facts too.

Written and photographs by Katya Arnold.

Published as an Anne Schwartz by Athenuem Books for Young Readers.

#elephants #artwork #children #painting #mustread
Chris Young
Jul 10, 2011 Chris Young rated it it was amazing
An artist compares teaching painting to children and elephants, and the elephants are often better painters than the children. I found this book by accident and it made me want to cry. An unexpected look at the joy of artistic expression that I usually attribute to human beings. It's nice to know that I still have a lot to learn.
Jul 29, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-lit
I read this to my elementary students at the library last week and we all loved it. I did a little Googling and discovered that elephants can see two colors, so they likely view the world as a color-blind person does. This is a great non-fiction attention-grabbing read-a-loud.
Brittany Basalla
Oct 23, 2014 Brittany Basalla rated it it was ok
Shelves: edrd-314
A very amusing book that shows the work of elephants who are taught to paint with paintbrushes and paper. Children who have never heard of elephants doing this before (I had at a zoo) would surely get a kick out of this book.
Rachel
I begrudingly picked up this book thinking it would be too cutesy. But I really enjoyed reading it. The author teaches elementary school kids in NY and elephants in Thailand to paint. It was fascinating to learn about how the pachyderms learn how to paint.
Pamela
Apr 11, 2008 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Love this book! March's National Geographic issue explores the minds of animals. Specifically, elephants possess a sense of self and retain long memories. Now I've learned that they can also learn to paint, even flowers and trees with a few years of practice. Amazing animals.
Drew Paige
Apr 22, 2011 Drew Paige rated it really liked it
Great relation showing that animals aren't so different than people. Something as big as an elephant can paint just like you and me. It shows a great connection that if you put your mind to it even an elephant can accomplish anything!
Patty
Oct 02, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing
The author writes of her own experiences with teaching children and elephants to paint. Yes, it's true: Elephants CAN Paint! Complete with laugh-out-loud parts, all my kids loved this book. I rarely buy books, but I just had to have this one.
Shelley
Apr 12, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This is a book you can use for science. The book has a lot of information about elephants, as well as a true story about how they paint. This is a good book to use to discuss the characteristics of elephants.
The Brothers
Jan 27, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, elephants, painting
A truly interesting and enchanting story of a woman who works with children and elephants teaching them to paint. Side by side photos show the different ways that humans and elephants do their paintings. Lots of fun facts about elephants I never knew.

Great photography.
Cathy
An informational book on how Asian elephants learn to paint alongside children. Kids will enjoy seeing photographs of the painting elephants and their paintings.
Becca Holcomb
Elephants can paint too is great to teach young readers about different jobs. This is also a good story to show children that they can do anything they set their mind too!
Anna Lewis
Mar 03, 2014 Cora rated it really liked it
Good!
Diana Pettis
Aug 07, 2012 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
Xander really liked this text being interested in elephants. Another recommendation for read-aloud.

Great for children 6 and under in my opinion.
Kathy
Apr 26, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly I loved this non-fiction picture book. I had no clue that elephants could be taught to paint.
Miss Sarah
Aug 08, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
A great nonfiction book about Elephants in Asia who are taught to paint alongside children. Loved the non fiction facts about elephants. Preschool and up for length and concept.
Megan Fulkerson
Oct 31, 2016 Megan Fulkerson rated it really liked it
This could be used when learning about art. This story could also be used for comparing and contrasting various things including the way that elephants paint versus the way that humans paint.
Ralf Urbach
Oct 11, 2013 Ralf Urbach rated it really liked it
Im a big fan of art and in any form. This was a wonderful book to show my children that anybody/ anything could paint and it could be beautiful no matter what type of criticism is given.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World
  • Prehistoric Actual Size
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
  • Surprising Sharks (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards))
  • An Egg Is Quiet