Start by marking “Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?: Bodies, Behavior, and Brains--the Science Behind Sex, Love, and Attraction” as Want to Read:

How long does it take to decide if a person is hot?
Is your lover more likely to get you pregnant than your husband?
Can men tell when a woman is fertile?

If you’ve ever wondered how scientists measure love—or whether men really prefer blondes over brunettes—this smart, sexy book provides real answers to these and many other questions about our most baffling dating and mating
Published September 30th 2008 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?

The Art of Seduction by Robert GreeneOpening Up by Tristan TaorminoThe Las Vegas Madam by Jami RodmanThe Complete Kāma-Sūtra by Mallanaga VātsyāyanaThe Joy of Sex by Alex Comfort
Let's Talk About Sex
15th out of 123 books — 98 voters
Cosmos by Carl SaganThe Double Helix by James D. WatsonThe Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan SykesBreasts by Florence   WilliamsStiff by Mary Roach
Science Time
7th out of 79 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

I’m a black sheep. Always have been. Study after study has proven that men actually DO prefer blondes. Also, study after study has shown that women are attracted to men like their father, and men to women like their mother.

I'm a guy and my mother is blonde. So yeah, man. Most guys are more likely to prefer blondes and they’re more likely to prefer women like their mother -- so I should totally be into blondes.

But I’m not. I dig brunettes! What the hell? Is this book crap? No, it's not. And I'll
Nov 06, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Very interesting and well written. Sometimes science books are written too dry and poorly, which is a shame since they do not do justice to their topic (which is not saying that the style should dumb down the way information is conveyed -- just keep it interesting!). This book was a great read with lots of information that was not only interesting, but quite useful if you are wanting to maximise your tips as a waitress or scientific explanations for attraction! I definitely recommend it.
Mar 25, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. I picked this book up, originally thinking that it was going to be a spoof book on relationships (which it isn't), and ended up really taking an interest in the genuine scientific studies within. Like many of the other reviews, I found that this book WAS more for women readers, but was still interesting to read nonetheless.
Willa Grant
Jan 25, 2009 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Every question & answer was fun & interesting.
Jan 19, 2009 Zenaide rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Do Gentle men Really Prefer Blondes, has helped me maintain a fun dialog while on dates and get togethers. Not to mention choosing the right look that's gives me that slight edge. Its a great conversation starter, when I mention I'm reading "Do gentlemen actually prefer blondes", people are actually curious to know if they do and ask for examples of scientific studies. Since the studies are fun and interesting I actually remember them, like the Law of Excitation. Anyway, great ...more
Feb 12, 2009 lp rated it it was ok
This was mildly entertaining, although I didn't finish. I never actually got to the part that explains whether gentlemen prefer blondes. I misplaced the book and am not that worried about it. Some of the scientific studies were interesting, but they were sandwiched between really dumb, Cosmo-esque commentary that was pretty unnecessary. Also, the font was purple, for chrissake. I'm sorry, I just can't take it seriously if the font is purple. (At least the i's were not dotted with hearts.)
Feb 23, 2009 Saadia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the latest science behind sexuality and sexual attraction, etc. Everything you ever wanted to know about chemistry, biology, genetics, reproduction, competition, natural selection of the fittest, monogamy, anthropology, etc. on this subject, ha!
Jul 13, 2010 Cheri rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
"Do gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?" is an enjoyable book if you like women's magazines. Some of the ideas that Pincott presents as fact are merely theories, with little actual proof behind them. There is an over heavy use of statistics, with little of the ranges being offered. And no discussion that some of the studies have been found to have cultural biases. Some theories have so many alternate explanations that are not mentioned, I can only assume that the author picked the most colorful pos ...more
Jun 08, 2010 Kendra rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun read. I kept finding myself reading excerpts aloud to my husband because I found so much of the material fascinating. I especially liked the chapter on pheromones. It definitely added strength to the nature side of the nature vs. nurture debates on human sexual attraction. It also gave me a new argument to use against people that believe homosexuality is a chosen trait, since gay men and women actually emit different pheromones to attract each other. It turns out that "g ...more
Feb 04, 2012 Davidl rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, as it covered an interesting topic and I usually enjoy science/explanation books. However, this book rubbed me the wrong way for two things the author seems to be implying:

A) That we're all just acting on instinct and subconscious drives, and that in actuality we're all superficial when it comes to choosing our significant others, rather than being a unique species that chooses our partners/mates based on emotion and connection and things like common interests
Jun 15, 2014 Josh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Studies on sexuality have to be careful due to the high risk of getting caught up in societal norms and mistaking those as biologically-driven imperatives, and this book, unfortunately, commits that fallacy, made worse by the fact that it completely ignores a wide swath of the human sexual spectrum - pan-/bi-/homosexuality. I'm not sure this is a reflection of bias on the part of the author or on the part of the availability of source study material, but the author seems to think that assertions ...more
Sep 08, 2016 Xanthi rated it really liked it
You could easily mistake this book as being written by Mary Roach. It is tinged with humour and a lot of information. I've read a fair few books that have covered the topics that this book tackles and was pleased to encounter information that I hadn't previously gleaned before.
This book was a real eye opener as to how much we are ruled by our hormones and how much of our prehistoric ancestry as humans, still control us.
Dec 14, 2010 Luis rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology
As humans we very much want to be in control of our futures and believe that we are the captains of our destiny, but Jena Pincott clearly shows how we are all victims of our bodies biology. We may never consciously know that the reason we are attracted to someone is their "smell" or that our "testosterone" levels are high because we are single men, but it happens, and it shapes are decisions and behavior.

This is an extremely interesting read if you have interest in biology and sociology. Pincott
LM Yellow
Jun 23, 2012 LM Yellow rated it it was ok
Parts of this book were fun and interesting to learn about. It took a deeper look into things you've probably read before like symmetry dictating attractiveness, pheromones, or the bizarre mix of genetic sameness and diversity we gravitate towards. I enjoyed hearing about the scientific studies and other cultures' preferences. However I found the author used the statement "we evolved" way too much. I think she was taking huge leaps and isolating a large group of readers by suggesting evolutionar ...more
Oct 29, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
I thought this would be a fluff book that only skimmed over the topics here and there of the real science behind why we are attracted to the opposite sex. The author actually provides an interesting compilation of psychological to neurological studies and research of all kinds of interesting information regarding our sexual behavior.

She presents us with a ton of information in a pretty light format. But it gives us the basics and the ability to delve further on any topic we are interested in.
Jul 29, 2009 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Straight women who rarely read
Shelves: audiobook, science
The narration is good, but "menstrual" sounds just like "minstrel" should. This is a shame, as "menstrual" shows up in just about every paragraph.

The text itself is surprisingly fun and informative. However, it covers the same ground that one may have read in newspaper health and science sections. If you don't keep up on psychology and sociology, maybe you should give it a try.

P.S. This book makes sex sound quite unsexy. You might avoid it if you're stoking the baby train's engine.
Nov 25, 2008 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lots of interesting tidbits that range from two-to-four pages on all sorts of topics from sights to smells that explain the scientific basis behind attraction. The book is designed so you can skip from topic to topic, but you can do what I did and read it straight through!
Nov 13, 2015 Erika rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I have read this beauty. I do have to say it is best consumed as a book rather than through audio. The formatting is wonderful and really helps to break it down better.
Apr 19, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Sex and the human brain: taking it apart, seeing how it works, and putting it back together again. We really are just big dumb animals, folks. Some of us bigger and dumber than others...
Feb 02, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Absolutely fascinating!
Jan 09, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're at all intrigued by the science of attraction, this is an amusing, quick read. Spurred by documentaries on the subject, I purchased this book not knowing many of those studies would be referenced in the book (which was a bonus for me since I wish there were follow up documentaries!).

While not ground-breaking discoveries, evolutionary reasoning & laboratory studies are presented to explain some of the old theories, such as men being more attracted to looks, while women are attracted
Nov 13, 2009 Candice rated it it was amazing
Witty and fun, this book was a great overview of the current science on love and attraction. The best section in my opinion is on hormones and how they affect our perceptions. Also loved the research on pheromones. I never knew that odors carried so much information. I should also mention that the book has a great sources and endnotes section so you can explore the studies yourself if you want to go more in depth. Only caveat is that the book is geared mostly for straight women although it addre ...more
Ahem... I have something to say. 'Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?'. The answer is simple AND obvious. Gentlemen prefer FLINGS, and blondes are exotic. How many people have dark hair than fair hair? This makes blondes DIFFERENT and therefore far more interesting for a fling. Am I right or am I right? I have a naturally critical and scientific brain. And blonde guys love me, and I am dark haired tanned skin German/Philippine. TaDa. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Blondes are 'fun'. It' ...more
Aug 12, 2012 Nisha rated it really liked it
This was a fairly good listen. The narration managed to not annoy me, the content was legit, and the author acknowledged evolutionary reasons that are just theories. The tone of the book was scientific, but casual enough for the non-science person to enjoy. Despite knowing many of the studies cited, I did learn a lot. There is only one thing that really annoyed me and that was certain section being repeated, almost as if they were space filler information. If I read the book, I probably would ha ...more
Huma Rashid
Jun 12, 2011 Huma Rashid rated it really liked it
This book was wildly fascinating. It's not at all a manual on how to seem more attractive to the opposite sex, but then again, I never thought that it was, although I can easily see how some would. It's all about the chemistry, biology, and physiology of sex and attraction and love, and in a larger sense, just how we relate to each other as people. It's chock full of scientific studies on these sorts of relations, and it was a quick, fun, interesting read that I really enjoyed.
Jun 17, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am fascinated with behavioral economics, stimulated by Malcolm Gladwell and Dan Ariely's excellent contributions. This book continues the discussion from yet another viewpoint. It is not as scientifically written as the others but is very accessible and compelling. There are several revelations not found elsewhere. If you're interested in what drives human behavior and decision-making, this is a fine read.
Jun 20, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
No book this saturated with one scientific study after another should be this fun to read. From the first page to the last, you'll learn something about how we humans (and therefore you!) work. Though she may not mention Freud, it turns out he was right--at least in the essential sense that he was right in just how much what we think about our world--and each other--is formed below the threshold of self-awareness. A very fun and very informative read.
Dec 21, 2014 Munderpool rated it it was amazing
A very interesting scientific appraisal of how romance generally works. It reads easily, with the occasional hard to pronounce hormone, or section of anatomy thrown in, but it's a fast read as it was intended to be, with empirical data, and the author's personal or inter-personal experiences added, for real world connectivity. I am pleased and would read her other works.
Jeff Yoak
This book was interesting in places to me because of discussing body language and other items of interest in my study of deception detection. Aside from that peculiar interest, I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all. Even with that, I abandoned it with a note to try it at some point in the future in another state of mind.
May 25, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok
Mildly amusing, but definitely the People magazine version of science writing. Instead of taking one topic and researching it in depth, as Mary Roach does, this author glosses over a myriad of topics related to sex, love, and attraction. Each one gets at most 2 pages and every entry ends with a "funny" quip.
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
  • Who's Been Sleeping in Your Head?: The Secret World of Sexual Fantasy
  • Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty
  • How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, and Act the Way We Do
  • Why Women Have Sex: Understanding Sexual Motivations from Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between)
  • Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women
  • The Evolution Of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
  • Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray
  • Moral Origins: The Evolution of Virtue, Altruism, and Shame
  • The Case of the Female Orgasm: Bias in the Science of Evolution
  • No Two Alike: Human Nature and Human Individuality
  • The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate- And What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top
  • Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes: The Ultimate Guide to the Opposite Sex
  • The Bride of Science: Romance, Reason, and Byron's Daughter
  • Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition
  • Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body
  • Erotic Capital: The Power of Attraction in the Boardroom and the Bedroom