Start by marking “Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?: Bodies, Behavior, and Brains--the Science Behind Sex, Love, and Attraction” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  81 reviews
How long does it take to decide if a person is hot?
Is your lover more likely to get you pregnant than your husband?
Can men tell when a woman is fertile?

If you’ve ever wondered how scientists measure love—or whether men really prefer blondes over brunettes—this smart, sexy book provides real answers to these and many other questions about our most baffling dating and mating
Published September 30th 2008 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?

The Art of Seduction by Robert GreeneDomination & Submission by Michael MakaiThe Complete Kāma-Sūtra by Mallanaga VātsyāyanaThe Joy of Sex by Alex ComfortOpening Up by Tristan Taormino
Let's Talk About Sex
11th out of 81 books — 62 voters
The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan SykesStiff by Mary RoachThe Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha MukherjeeThe Double Helix by James D. WatsonBreasts by Florence   Williams
Science Time
37th out of 76 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben
I’m a black sheep. Always have been. Study after study has proven that men actually DO prefer blondes. Also, study after study has shown that women are attracted to men like their father, and men to women like their mother.

I'm a guy and my mother is blonde. So yeah, man. Most guys are more likely to prefer blondes and they’re more likely to prefer women like their mother -- so I should totally be into blondes.

But I’m not. I dig brunettes! What the hell? Is this book crap? No, it's not. And I'll
Amanda
Very interesting and well written. Sometimes science books are written too dry and poorly, which is a shame since they do not do justice to their topic (which is not saying that the style should dumb down the way information is conveyed -- just keep it interesting!). This book was a great read with lots of information that was not only interesting, but quite useful if you are wanting to maximise your tips as a waitress or scientific explanations for attraction! I definitely recommend it.
Jason
Very interesting read. I picked this book up, originally thinking that it was going to be a spoof book on relationships (which it isn't), and ended up really taking an interest in the genuine scientific studies within. Like many of the other reviews, I found that this book WAS more for women readers, but was still interesting to read nonetheless.
Saadia
All the latest science behind sexuality and sexual attraction, etc. Everything you ever wanted to know about chemistry, biology, genetics, reproduction, competition, natural selection of the fittest, monogamy, anthropology, etc. on this subject, ha!
Willa Grant
I loved this book! Every question & answer was fun & interesting.
Kendra
This book was such a fun read. I kept finding myself reading excerpts aloud to my husband because I found so much of the material fascinating. I especially liked the chapter on pheromones. It definitely added strength to the nature side of the nature vs. nurture debates on human sexual attraction. It also gave me a new argument to use against people that believe homosexuality is a chosen trait, since gay men and women actually emit different pheromones to attract each other. It turns out that "g ...more
Luis
As humans we very much want to be in control of our futures and believe that we are the captains of our destiny, but Jena Pincott clearly shows how we are all victims of our bodies biology. We may never consciously know that the reason we are attracted to someone is their "smell" or that our "testosterone" levels are high because we are single men, but it happens, and it shapes are decisions and behavior.

This is an extremely interesting read if you have interest in biology and sociology. Pincott
Zenaide
I love this book! Do Gentle men Really Prefer Blondes, has helped me maintain a fun dialog while on dates and get togethers. Not to mention choosing the right look that's gives me that slight edge. Its a great conversation starter, when I mention I'm reading "Do gentlemen actually prefer blondes", people are actually curious to know if they do and ask for examples of scientific studies. Since the studies are fun and interesting I actually remember them, like the Law of Excitation. Anyway, great ...more
Christine
I thought this would be a fluff book that only skimmed over the topics here and there of the real science behind why we are attracted to the opposite sex. The author actually provides an interesting compilation of psychological to neurological studies and research of all kinds of interesting information regarding our sexual behavior.

She presents us with a ton of information in a pretty light format. But it gives us the basics and the ability to delve further on any topic we are interested in.
Thomas
Jul 29, 2009 Thomas rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Straight women who rarely read
Shelves: audiobook, science
The narration is good, but "menstrual" sounds just like "minstrel" should. This is a shame, as "menstrual" shows up in just about every paragraph.

The text itself is surprisingly fun and informative. However, it covers the same ground that one may have read in newspaper health and science sections. If you don't keep up on psychology and sociology, maybe you should give it a try.

P.S. This book makes sex sound quite unsexy. You might avoid it if you're stoking the baby train's engine.
l
This was mildly entertaining, although I didn't finish. I never actually got to the part that explains whether gentlemen prefer blondes. I misplaced the book and am not that worried about it. Some of the scientific studies were interesting, but they were sandwiched between really dumb, Cosmo-esque commentary that was pretty unnecessary. Also, the font was purple, for chrissake. I'm sorry, I just can't take it seriously if the font is purple. (At least the i's were not dotted with hearts.)
Jocelyn
Lots of interesting tidbits that range from two-to-four pages on all sorts of topics from sights to smells that explain the scientific basis behind attraction. The book is designed so you can skip from topic to topic, but you can do what I did and read it straight through!
Lovely. Sex and the human brain: taking it apart, seeing how it works, and putting it back together again. We really are just big dumb animals, folks. Some of us bigger and dumber than others...
Megan
If you're at all intrigued by the science of attraction, this is an amusing, quick read. Spurred by documentaries on the subject, I purchased this book not knowing many of those studies would be referenced in the book (which was a bonus for me since I wish there were follow up documentaries!).

While not ground-breaking discoveries, evolutionary reasoning & laboratory studies are presented to explain some of the old theories, such as men being more attracted to looks, while women are attracted
Cheri
"Do gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?" is an enjoyable book if you like women's magazines. Some of the ideas that Pincott presents as fact are merely theories, with little actual proof behind them. There is an over heavy use of statistics, with little of the ranges being offered. And no discussion that some of the studies have been found to have cultural biases. Some theories have so many alternate explanations that are not mentioned, I can only assume that the author picked the most colorful pos ...more
Candice
Witty and fun, this book was a great overview of the current science on love and attraction. The best section in my opinion is on hormones and how they affect our perceptions. Also loved the research on pheromones. I never knew that odors carried so much information. I should also mention that the book has a great sources and endnotes section so you can explore the studies yourself if you want to go more in depth. Only caveat is that the book is geared mostly for straight women although it addre ...more
Josh
Studies on sexuality have to be careful due to the high risk of getting caught up in societal norms and mistaking those as biologically-driven imperatives, and this book, unfortunately, commits that fallacy, made worse by the fact that it completely ignores a wide swath of the human sexual spectrum - pan-/bi-/homosexuality. I'm not sure this is a reflection of bias on the part of the author or on the part of the availability of source study material, but the author seems to think that assertions ...more
Davidl
I really wanted to like this book, as it covered an interesting topic and I usually enjoy science/explanation books. However, this book rubbed me the wrong way for two things the author seems to be implying:

A) That we're all just acting on instinct and subconscious drives, and that in actuality we're all superficial when it comes to choosing our significant others, rather than being a unique species that chooses our partners/mates based on emotion and connection and things like common interests
Gen
Ahem... I have something to say. 'Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?'. The answer is simple AND obvious. Gentlemen prefer FLINGS, and blondes are exotic. How many people have dark hair than fair hair? This makes blondes DIFFERENT and therefore far more interesting for a fling. Am I right or am I right? I have a naturally critical and scientific brain. And blonde guys love me, and I am dark haired tanned skin German/Philippine. TaDa. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Blondes are 'fun'. It' ...more
Nisha
This was a fairly good listen. The narration managed to not annoy me, the content was legit, and the author acknowledged evolutionary reasons that are just theories. The tone of the book was scientific, but casual enough for the non-science person to enjoy. Despite knowing many of the studies cited, I did learn a lot. There is only one thing that really annoyed me and that was certain section being repeated, almost as if they were space filler information. If I read the book, I probably would ha ...more
LM Yellow
Parts of this book were fun and interesting to learn about. It took a deeper look into things you've probably read before like symmetry dictating attractiveness, pheromones, or the bizarre mix of genetic sameness and diversity we gravitate towards. I enjoyed hearing about the scientific studies and other cultures' preferences. However I found the author used the statement "we evolved" way too much. I think she was taking huge leaps and isolating a large group of readers by suggesting evolutionar ...more
Jessi
An entertaining book about the science of falling in love.
Huma Rashid
This book was wildly fascinating. It's not at all a manual on how to seem more attractive to the opposite sex, but then again, I never thought that it was, although I can easily see how some would. It's all about the chemistry, biology, and physiology of sex and attraction and love, and in a larger sense, just how we relate to each other as people. It's chock full of scientific studies on these sorts of relations, and it was a quick, fun, interesting read that I really enjoyed.
Mike
No book this saturated with one scientific study after another should be this fun to read. From the first page to the last, you'll learn something about how we humans (and therefore you!) work. Though she may not mention Freud, it turns out he was right--at least in the essential sense that he was right in just how much what we think about our world--and each other--is formed below the threshold of self-awareness. A very fun and very informative read.
Andy
I am fascinated with behavioral economics, stimulated by Malcolm Gladwell and Dan Ariely's excellent contributions. This book continues the discussion from yet another viewpoint. It is not as scientifically written as the others but is very accessible and compelling. There are several revelations not found elsewhere. If you're interested in what drives human behavior and decision-making, this is a fine read.
Rena
This was very informative and interesting. Actually it was just really amusing to read. I couldn't help but laugh most of the time, but everything in here made sense. It was a good way to pass some time.
Melissa
Oct 18, 2008 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young teens
Recommended to Melissa by: Metro life panel
Teh first chpater was good. The whole book was basically an episode I saw about sexuality on the History Channel 2 years back. The reast of th ebook simply repeated the first chpter 20 times. Sometimes not even bothering to re-word it. I thought it was a good book for someone who dosent understand why our body's are programmed sexualy the way they aare, but this is old news to me.
Terri
Interesting and very well researched. The author covers a lot of ground and as a result does over simplify the topics in some cases, but overall does a good job of capturing and keeping interest. Would have been nice if her focus wasn't so purely socio-evolutionary, - but then i guess this book probably wouldn't have had the same easy answers and mass market appeal.
Shannon
This book was terrible. I forced myself to finish it, specifically so I could complain about it. Stupid little jokes/sayings at the end of each section were the worst. Also, the book seemed very sexist/elitist... I don't really know what else to say, it was beyond stupid and don't waste your time. I would have given this book zero stars if that was an option!
Jeff Yoak
This book was interesting in places to me because of discussing body language and other items of interest in my study of deception detection. Aside from that peculiar interest, I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all. Even with that, I abandoned it with a note to try it at some point in the future in another state of mind.
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
  • Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty
  • Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray
  • Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women
  • Who's Been Sleeping in Your Head?: The Secret World of Sexual Fantasy
  • The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
  • Why Women Have Sex: Understanding Sexual Motivations from Adventure to Revenge (and Everything in Between)
  • How Sex Works: Why We Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, and Act the Way We Do
  • The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature
  • A History Of Celibacy
  • The Case of the Female Orgasm: Bias in the Science of Evolution
  • The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate- And What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top
  • Sperm Wars: Infidelity, Sexual Conflict, and Other Bedroom Battles
  • Moral Origins: The Evolution of Virtue, Altruism, and Shame
  • No Two Alike: Human Nature and Human Individuality
  • Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • The Bride of Science: Romance, Reason, and Byron's Daughter
  • The Naked Woman: A Study of the Female Body
Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy Success: Advice for Achieving Your Goals from Remarkably Accomplished People Mom Candy: 1,000 Quotes of Inspiration for Mothers Healing: Advice for Recovering Your Inner Strength and Spirit from the World's Most Famous Survivors Perché gli uomini preferiscono le bionde? - 100 domande stuzzicanti (e relative risposte) sul più grande mistero dell'umanità: l'amore