Start by marking “Toreador (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Toreador (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #1)

Toreador (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novels #1)

"The World of Darkness Exposed It begins with Clan Novel: Toreador, but this novel is just the beginning of a 13-book series dedicated to the Kindred. It's the biggest event in World of Darkness history This epic series of over one million words will reveal the secrets of this hidden world, from the smallest detail to the grandest marvel. The Nosferatu's apparent scheme to ...more
Published January 14th 1999 by White Wolf Publishing (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Toreador, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toreador

Μιτς Γιωτίξ
I recently finished Vampire: the Masquerade- Bloodlines (in case you're wondering, I first used a tremere and I'm currently playing as a malkavian- obfuscate is the shit!) so I decided to finally read this book that I bought for 3 euros at a local book bazaar.
It is the first novel of the "Clan" series, named so because each book mainly describes a single vampire clan. As the name implies, this one is about the Toreador, the "artistic" vampires of the setting. Leopold is a young Toreador who doe
Angel
This was an interesting reading experience. The whole novel takes place in one night or so, and the story does pack a lot into that one night. Though we are mostly following Victoria Ash and Leopold, the story moves back and forth between other characters, all with their different schemes and motivations. If you like dark fiction with a lot of intrigue and machinations, then this book is for you because the vampires of The Masquerade, known as the Kindred, pretty much live to pursue Machiavellia ...more
Gabby
Jun 11, 2010 Gabby rated it really liked it
It was a very long book. It took me at least half a month to finish it. I can't say I hated it though. I was extremely upset and pleased at the same time as soon as I read the final pages of the last few chapters.
The idea of vampires in this novel pushed me into a whole new world. I got so far in that actually forgot that the second half of the book took place in a single night.
I remember it was around six or seven at night and I was screaming "NO! THAT CAN'T BE THE WAY IT ENDED!" because they j
Timothy McNeil
One of the problems with a planned series of novels is the difficulty of balancing the needs of of the overarching tale with the need to have each book stand alone by itself. Stewart Wieck's Clan Novel: Toreador fails the latter and arguably more important requirement. While Wieck struggles through much of the first half of the book making constant references to the lexicon of White Wolf's Vampire: The Masquerade without granting a novice reader any insight (and frustrating this reader who pla ...more
Monti
Sep 11, 2013 Monti rated it really liked it
Real rating is fluctuating between 3.5 and 4

I am rereading this book. I (I think) read it when it first came out during the days of the Old World of Darkness game systems heyday.

I'm not quite sure how entertaining this book would be to someone who has not played the games. I have the feeling that it would be easy for someone who doesn't know the world already to get lost in the novel.

There is a lot of explanation throughout the book, in an attempt to clue in the casual reader. To someone who has
Lindsey
Aug 01, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Despite the short length of this book, it still took me weeks to finish. The prose was boring and much too introspective (and also full of typos!). I hope this is due to the fact that Toreadors are insufferable and self-absorbed, because I'm not sure I can take another 12 books of this kind. I liked the brief chapters on the other non-Toreador characters, so maybe this long, drawn out introspection is a trait unique to this clan book only. The next book is about the 'cruelest' of the Sabat clans ...more
Marpesia
Jan 06, 2008 Marpesia rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-horror
This is the first volume in a 13 book set which focuses on the thirteen clans of the Kindred. It is a huge undertaking to commit to a 13 book series but White Wolf Publishing is known for the quality of it's publishing and this series, thus far, does not disappoint. The Toreador's are considered hedonists and are easily ignored by the other clans but one of the Toreadors has a plan. That plan includes becoming the most powerful vampyre in Atlanta and to control the city. She has set her plan in ...more
PsypherPunk
Aug 03, 2012 PsypherPunk rated it it was ok
I had rather high hopes for this one; I was quote enjoying it...then it abruptly ended. I think my main concern is that this is obviously part of some larger plot; characters are set up, knocked down, then the book finishes. Sure, I know there's a whole series of these (the inclusion of chapters for another two of them rather bludgeon one into noting it) but by itself this isn't particularly satisfying.

Still, as I say I was enjoying it. It certainly manages to (mostly) avoid the laboured feel fr
Deadwish
Reseña completa en mi blog:

El libro tiene sus momentos excelentes, pero también algunos más aburridos. Por suerte los capítulos son cortos y esos escollos se superan con velocidad.
Dejando de lado lo malo, recomiendo esta novela a los amantes de los vampiros adultos, estén familiarizados con el Mundo de Tinieblas o no.
Adam Warner
Jun 28, 2013 Adam Warner rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire-novels
I have been a fan of White Wolf vampires for 20+ years. This book showcases predominately the Toreador clan; the artists. In this worlds vampiric society, there is a great deal of politics as well as intrigue, deception and fantasy. This is a great first book of a 13 book series. Very excited to read them all.
António
Jun 10, 2014 António rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-world
Starting in a slow pace and accelerating towards a riveting finale, the book is able to convey in an effective way how political the Kindred society is in a storyline of power struggle and hunger.
Not the most thrilling read I've been faced with but a good read none the less, especially if a fan of White Wolf's universe.
Gina
Apr 01, 2016 Gina rated it it was ok
I liked it more than the Tremere one, but it just ended in an illogical place. I am going to get the volumes that include all of the novels in chronological order so that I can follow the story-line better.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Apr 12, 2008 Michelle (In Libris Veritas) rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, horror, fantasy
I really like the idea of The Masquerade and all the different personality sets there are for the vampires. This was an awesome start to the series and I loved how it follows one person from the clan but gives and over all storyline.
Beau Johnston
Jan 19, 2016 Beau Johnston rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, vampire
As a vampire book, it was entertaining (despite the foppish arrogance of the Toreador Clan). But there was a lot of "behind-the-scenes, cloak-and-dagger" stuff going on, which didn't hold my interest.
Lisa
Oct 25, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it
Recommended to Lisa by: Brian
Shelves: vampire
I must have been reading a different book than everyone else because I hated this book. It took me forever to read -- there were too many characters and too many vampire clans for me to keep straight especially when I didn't really care about any of them. One of my least favorite books ever.
Alexander Faria
Dec 05, 2015 Alexander Faria rated it liked it
Interesante historia.. el final muy peculiar . quedron muchos cabos sueltos, muchas cosas en el aire pero este es el primero de la serie
Suellen
Jan 31, 2012 Suellen rated it liked it
Nice start that made me search for the other books of this series. They are really rare in Brazil, though.
Anthony Alessi
Feb 13, 2011 Anthony Alessi rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, own
This is a fantastic series if you are a fan or player of the Vampire the Masquerade Table Top game. I gave it a 3 because I don't recomend this series to those who are not.
Dan
Feb 27, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
Starts slow and repeats itself but then turn pretty interesting.

You should be familiar with Vampire : the Masquerade before reading this or you'll be confused.
Calamity
Calamity rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2014
Vassilis
Vassilis rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2013
Roberto Bastías
Roberto Bastías rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Agota
Agota rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Randy Blackwell
Randy Blackwell rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2012
B. Czirok
B. Czirok rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
John Stevens
John Stevens rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Débora Rezende
Débora Rezende rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Jakob Cherpovsky
Jakob Cherpovsky rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2012
Hugh
Hugh rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2012
  • Gangrel (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #3)
  • Tzimisce (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #2)
  • Lasombra (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #6)
  • Ravnos (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #8)
  • Giovanni (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #10)
  • The Book of Nod
  • Clanbook: Assamite
  • Clanbook: Malkavian Revised
  • Clanbook: Tremere Revised
  • The Unbeholden
  • Gehenna: the Final Night (Time of Judgment Trilogy, #1)
  • Clanbook: Gangrel Revised
  • The Erciyes Fragments

Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novels (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Tzimisce (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #2)
  • Gangrel (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #3)
  • Setite (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #4)
  • Ventrue (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #5)
  • Lasombra (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #6)
  • Assamite (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #7)
  • Ravnos (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #8)
  • Malkavian (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #9)
  • Giovanni (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #10)
  • Brujah (Vampire: The Masquerade: Clan Novel, #11)