Start by marking “Moominland Midwinter” as Want to Read:
Moominland Midwinter

Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins #6)

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  5,840 Ratings  ·  276 Reviews
Moomins always sleep through the winter - or they did until the year Moomintroll woke up and went exploring in the silent, snow-covered valley where the river used to scuttle along and all his friends were so busy in summer.

'They seem to grow in wisdom and delight every time i read them... a perfect marriage of word and picture'
-Phillip Pullman
Published 1971 by Puffin Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Moominland Midwinter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moominland Midwinter

notgettingenough
Apr 02, 2010 notgettingenough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book has the best footnotes.

A displaced hedgehog is a hedgehog that has been removed from its home against its will and not even had time to pack its toothbrush.

And a bit later on, when we are so sad because squirrel is dead, the most comforting footnote I've ever read:

In case the reader feels like having a cry, please take a quick look at p. 126.
Eddie Watkins
The human world is a huge mess that somehow survives the day. I don’t know how it happens, and I’m not sure that all our (un)concerted efforts to help it survive don’t just further complicate things and make that daily survival less and less possible. My attitude in these matters is generally that of a cynical Taoist – a profound faith in things as they are functioning “perfectly” in enormous rhythms of time wedded to an understanding that most humans only make things worse. If pressed my explan ...more
Marika Oksa
Dec 25, 2016 Marika Oksa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luin kirjan uudelleen joulun aikaan. Ihana ja lumoava Taikatalvi <3.
Camilla
Book #5 in #CramaThon2015.

I didn't DNF this the first time I tried reading it because I didn't like it, but more because I wasn't in the mood for it at the time. Glad I picked it up again during CramaThon, because I really enjoyed it!

(Finish a book you DNF'ed.)
Stephen Curran
Jun 22, 2015 Stephen Curran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'"When one's dead, then one's dead," said Too-Ticky kindly. "This squirrel will become earth all in his time. And still later on there'll grow trees from him, with new squirrels skipping about in them. Do you think that's so sad?"
"Perhaps not," said Moomintroll.'

Granted, I've only just finished reading it, but this might just be my favourite book. Towards the end, when Moomintroll's long and lonely ordeal is finally over, someone suggests that he should put a glass over a budding crocus to prot
Emma Sea
There's a fab essay by Maria Popova on this book on Brain Pickings today, encompassing "the paradox of active surrender." Highly recommended.

***

Found my childhood copy of this while cleaning out an old box last night, and to my delight I enjoyed it just as much as a grown up. My favourite of all the moomin books, because of the haunting quietness. On my must-read list for all children.
Tiina
Jan 08, 2017 Tiina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tästä tuli oma lemppari muumikirjojen joukossa. Esi-isä <3
Sinistra
Sep 13, 2012 Sinistra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Someone bought me this book from a second-hand store when I was a kid. I can't remember who. I had never heard of the Moomin world before that, and for more than a decade no one else I knew ever indicated a knowledge of it. I saw a Little My button on a girl's backpack in High School and pointed it out and she went nuts with joy that someone had recognised it. Moominland was a secret world known by so few. Now the books are easier to find I IMPLORE you to buy them.

I swear this book changed me i
Bjorn
Jan 09, 2017 Bjorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland
Outside, the cold went up against the night and the moonlight shone through all the green and red windowpanes.
Tell me about snow, said Moomintroll and sat down in his father's sun-bleached garden chair. I don't understand it.
Neither do I, said Too-Ticky. You think it's cold, but if you build a house from it it's warm. You think it's white, but sometimes it's pink, and sometimes blue. It can be the softest thing of all and it can be harder than stone. Nothing is certain.

In which Moomintroll wakes
Abby Monk
Aug 08, 2016 Abby Monk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that was gifted to me for my birthday after I said I hadn't read any of the Moomin series, I got a fantastic looking hardcover edition and thoroughly enjoyed reading it on the train. A quick read, I felt that even though I hadn't read any of the other books in the series, I was still able to follow the characters. Also added a touch of frost to a very very warm day. Great read.
Kate
I love all the Moomin books, but this one especially. It's a small existentialist masterpiece. Who but Tove Jansson can blend menace and whimsy in such a winning way? I'm plotting an omnibus review of the whole series when I've finished rereading them all (two more books to go after this one).
Kristīne
Aug 10, 2015 Kristīne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolūta sajūsma!!
Tāds mīlīgs dzīves gudrību krājums. Melanholiķa bībelīte.
Bettie☯
Mar 16, 2009 Bettie☯ rated it it was amazing
Waiting for the sun... a charming tale of winter.

From Brainpickings: Tove Jansson (1914–2001) is among the most imaginative, important, and influential children's book creators of all time, an artist and writer of unparalleled creative vision and great sensitivity to life's ineffable nuances. A recipient of the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award, she had the courage to turn down Walt Disney and build her own creative empire. From her beloved Moomins characters to her spectacular vintage i
Elizabeth
my absolute favorite of the Moomin books. This time I read it entirely in the summer house, which has emerged triumphant in winter in much the same way Too Ticky takes over the Bathing Hut in the book.

"here come the dumb
the lonely and the rum
the wild and the quiet
bang goes the drum"

Too Ticky is the character I would most like to be... I suppose Little My is my favorite, but I would rather actually model myself on Too Ticky. And I want a red winter hat that I can turn inside out when it's spring
Jessica
More strange and existential than the others, this might be my favorite. The meditations on winter and the nature of the creatures that choose to dwell in the cold and dark were gorgeous. And though much of this was lost on my children, the 7YO seemed to appreciate the melancholy and loneliness of Moomintroll being the only one of his family awake, while the 3YO liked the little moments with Little My or the skiing hemulen.

Re-read-aloud 2015: The kids and I loved this again. So odd and dreamy, a
Jun 29, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anna, Stella, Destinee
Moomin wakes up from his hibernation, but it is still winter! He discovers a whole "new" world. This one is really fun and the some of the illustrations are very cool.
Deborah O'Carroll
A good wintry tale, another fun Moomin story. :) Little My is the best. XD
Rebecca Foster
My third and favorite Moomins book (so far). Moomins are supposed to sleep through the winter, but this year young Moomintroll awakens and finds himself in a “strange and dangerous” world transformed by snowdrifts. He can’t get his parents to wake up so is effectively a temporary orphan, surrounded by peculiar creatures from Jansson’s menagerie, this time including a dim-witted squirrel, invisible shrews, a glum little dog who wishes he could run with wolves, and the Dweller Under the Sink (with ...more
Kim
Sep 01, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"'It's dead. All the world has died while I slept. This world belongs to somebody else whom I don't know. Perhaps the Groke. It isn't made for Moomins.'"

Every year the Moomins sleep from November to April, snug inside and safe from the winter cold. But one year little Moomintroll, alone of his whole family, wakes up just after New Year's, finding himself in a world that is unfamiliar and lonely. The sun is hiding, the ground is covered with snow, and try as he might he can't wake up his mother t
Drew
Jun 09, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_to_kids
Surreal and serene, and then suddenly bursting with crazy.

Moomins usually spend the winter hibernating, but Moomintroll wakes too early and then can't get back to sleep. While the rest of his family sleeps, he endures the long, cold, dark winter, frightened, confused, and angered by the way the world has changed.

Fortunately, he has company in the mysterious and wise Too-ticky, who has claimed the Moomins' bathing-house for the winter, and Little My, who has decided to fully embrace the winter
Netscape
¡Un libro muy mono! Se nota que está orientado a los más pequeños, todos los personajes destilan un cariño y una ternura sin igual, con esa inocencia tan propia de los dibujos animados.

Sin embargo, me ha parecido muy cortito e incluso demasiado rápido, pues suceden una gran cantidad de eventos en muy poquitas páginas... Me hubiera gustado que durara un poquito más, aunque imagino que es algo difícil al tratarse de una lectura infantil.

Curiosamente, una de las cosas que más me han gustado han sid
Paula
May 12, 2010 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched ‘The Moomins’ after school back in the day, when I watched it, it was live action models (if that is the correct wording) but recently I saw the cartoon and it was not the same.

‘Moominland Midwinter’ is the first Moomin book I have read, following from years of recommendations from my good friend, I decided to find out more about those little moomins.

I enjoyed ‘Moominland Midwinter’, I liked how the main character, Moomintroll woke up from hibernation early and everything was differen
Andrea
Magical, haunting, witty, writing of such subtle depth and beauty - how glorious is this book! The characters almost spring forth from the pages into one's heart, and the illustrations are perfect. If you have read this as a child, images from this story will stay with you for a lifetime. If you are an adult newly come to this treasure, you will still be able to appreciate its genius.

Looking back over the decades since I first came to own my precious boxed set, I think Tove's writing prepared me
Jenni
I love Moomins, especially these books. I think I'm lucky that I was never read these when I was a kid and get to discover them now that I'm an adult and understand all the layers and meanings the stories have. This is one of those books that at first looks like it's just about winter, but there's so much more to it. The fear of unknown, adapting to unfamiliar situations, trust, anticipation. It is incredibly beautifully written, like all Jansson's books are, the language in itself being comfort ...more
Катя Czaja
Lyrical, philosophical, beautiful. I have re-read this book aloud to my boys almost every winter since the oldest was 4. This book never fails to capture the mood of winter and is a beautiful parable about accepting life as it is and not as you want it to be. What makes this book really stand out are the characters — Moomintroll’s struggle to accept winter and find his place in it, LittleMy’s chaotic energy, and Too-ticky’s philosophical acceptance of life as it comes, Sorry-oo’s longing for the ...more
Ellen
Nov 01, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Reread while I was on my research trip in Finland and it is still the best Moomin book in my opinion. So beautiful, lonely and hopeful at different times, and of course it introduces Too-ticky (based on Tove's partner Tuulikki) whom I love as a character! It was great reading it in the cold Finnish landscape too.
Kaarna
Dec 13, 2015 Kaarna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aiemmin luettu: kesäkuu 2014.

Luettiin tää ääneen tänään pienellä porukalla ihanassa tunnelmassa. Oli ihastuttava ilta ja oon kovin iloinen tästä kokemuksesta.
Hassan Salem
من منا لم يشاهد وادي الأمان و يعجب بالمخلوقات المتخيلة الناطقة
جيل الثمانيات كان الأوفر حظاً لهذا العلم الكرتوني الذي سمح لنا بأن نعشق عائلة مومين .
بخصوص هذه الرواية جاءت جيدة من ناحية تسلسل الأحداث والترجمة كانت ممتازة و أضفت الصور بعداً لها
وهي مناسبة لمختلف الأعمار .
Stora Läs Bok Vän...: December :: Trollvinter 26 6 Jan 06, 2013 07:37AM
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Most Beloved Sister
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Sinun lapsesi eivät ole sinun
  • Maa on syntinen laulu
  • The Unknown Soldier
  • Mielensäpahoittaja
  • Tainaron: Mail from Another City
  • Missä kuljimme kerran
  • Kätilö
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?
  • Sonja O. kävi täällä
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)

“All things are so very uncertain, and that's exactly what makes me feel reassured.” 99 likes
“There are such a lot of things that have no place in summer and autumn and spring. Everything that’s a little shy and a little rum. Some kinds of night animals and people that don’t fit in with others and that nobody really believes in. They keep out of the way all the year. And then when everything’s quiet and white and the nights are long and most people are asleep—then they appear.” 67 likes