Start by marking “Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)

Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  6,058 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
In the third novel of the best-selling Dragon Jousters series, The Altan serf Vetch has escaped the enemy kingdom of Tia, only to find his homeland, Alta, enslaved by the evil Priest-Kings. With a small band of followers, Vetch must gather a secret army of dragon riders to rid their world of war and magical domination once and for all.
Published May 3rd 2005 by DAW (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary

Jade Lauron
This isn't really the final book, since she then went back and wrote a fourth one, but since the threat of wild horses couldn't entice me to continue reading once I found a good stopping place, I might as well use this as my conclusion. It was, after all, only meant to be a trilogy.

She finally ended most of the tedium of dragon care, what was fascinating in the beginning soon felt like I really did own a dragon. The reader was present for every feeding, at least we were spared the shoveling of d
Coleman Glider
Apr 20, 2010 Coleman Glider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wing-leader Kiron, the former serf known as Vetch and a disparate group of refugees from the countries of Alta and Tia flee to the desert to a hidden refuge that the gods have uncovered and named Sanctuary. In Sanctuary Kiron and a small cadre of Jousters are safe from the evil Magi who are draining Alta and Tia of their "gifted ones." Kiron and the Jousters with their magnificent dragons who have as much personality as the human characters must learn to coexist in a land of extremes. They know ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 27, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, novels
This is the third book in the Dragon Jouster's series that began with Joust and continued in Alta, and you should read those first. I'm a fan generally of Lackey's books, particularly her Valdemar series, and I think these are among the best of her books I've read. The series is centered on Kiron (in the first book known as Vetch) and I like his arc throughout the books, as well as the magical land, reminiscent of Ancient Egypt, in which this is set--and the dragons of course. They're not talkin ...more
Reader-ramble
Jan 01, 2015 Reader-ramble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I just enjoyed these books. And I still have one more to go.
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoying the ongoing saga of Kiron and the dragon jousters. I like the way each book completes a story and yet is part of the larger narrative. The pacing is done very well. There was a bit more recapping of information from the previous 2 books than felt necessary, but I don't know as I would feel that way if I hadn't been reading them one after the other.

An enjoyable, complex fantasy world with engaging characters.
Dawn
Jun 18, 2007 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lackey fans, Dragon fans, young adults
Shelves: fantasy
The conclusion to Lackey's The Dragon Jousters series, an alternate fantasy history of Ancient Egypt. Kiron (nee Vetch) and his lady love Aket-ten and the rest of the Altan Jousters have fled to Sanctuary, a secret city in the desert, to seek refuge from the Magi. The Magi have taken control of Alta (Upper Egypt) and an offshoot takes over Kiron's slave home country, Tia (Lower Egypt) throughout the book. It is up to the rebels at Sanctuary to prevail over the evil wizards and to restore these t ...more
Saphirablue
Dominique
Oct 22, 2007 Dominique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed most of Mercedes Lackey's books, and while I enjoyed this one very much, it was not one of her best outings.

I always pictured Ari as a soldier and a leader of a small group of men under his command, not the leader of many hundreds hiding out in the desert so when he was "chosen" to be the King of Sanctuary, I didn't much buy into that.

My other real issue with the book concerns the encounter between Kiron and his love interest. Characters are supposed to grow and evolve as the stor
Debbie
Apr 14, 2007 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still love this new world that Lackey's created but I felt that this book fell short of the previous two. The story was slow to start and it didn't really get going until after the first 100 pages. Also, I think my reaction had a lot to do with the fact it's been about a year since I've read the second book and the events and characters of that were a little fuzzy. However, the ending was satisfactory and there are enough intriguing hints of what's to come in this universe that I'll keep readi ...more
mirba
Sep 03, 2014 mirba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
If you love dragons, this is the correct series to read. This three books are so filled with dragons and flying jousters that you'll feel the wind on your skin while reading it.

These books are a really good coming of age story, but also the world building, the politics and the society overall are very good.

Only thing that doesn't get a five star for me is that there are a lot of external characters, but these characters are sometimes forgotten, and sometimes it makes you feel that the book sho
Mav
Rena Sherwood
This was the lamest ending to a series that I've ever read. Yes, I know that there's another book in the series is done and dusted to me. I think I'm going to give up on Mercedes Lackey. She can start a series well but cannot follow through on the promises given. It's as if she'd rather write about clothes, food and awkward romantic encounters than plots or character development.

And there are WAY too many characters to keep track of. Even Lackey mixes up the name of a main character and a dragon
Mia
Jul 31, 2015 Mia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tammy
Aug 31, 2009 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
Escalating, endless war and corruption plague Tia and Alta. Kiron, with entourage, find and flee to a sanctuary for the Jousters, and soon, refuges, to gather and grow in hopes of one day freeing both lands.

An enjoyable, easy read, but not as action-packed or driven as the previous two until the end of the book. The plot centered around the development of Sanctuary as well, a sanctuary, and all the trials and tribulations of forming a community from scratch (and with people from enemy nations) a
Alice
Mar 14, 2009 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
This is pretty standard Mercedes Lackey fare. I read a lot of Lackey, and am rarely disappointed. The books are well written enough to hold the story, which are formulaic enough to seem familiar and accessible while still being creative enough to hold my interest. Lackey is an author who requires little from her readers, but who gives a lot back. It's not great literature, but I always look forward to her new works and I find there are few better ways to escape from the tedium of my commute or t ...more
Elizabeth
This book was not as good as the second book in the series was but it was still a pretty good book. There wasn't a whole lot of action and what little there was seemed rushed at the end. I am liking the characters more and more. I definitely would have liked to see a little more going on in the story, either action or intrigue. I will still definitely read the final installment of the series though.
Birgit
Feb 23, 2014 Birgit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Kieron, former serf Vetch, and his friend Ari and their dragons continues. The two countries at war are only the pawns of a higher power, and Kieron and his friends, among them the former twin rulers of Alta, have to flee for their lives into the desert to find Sanctuary, from their to organise resistance against the evil magicians.
Mrs Lackey again writes a brilliant tale that you will find it difficult to put down before you finish the last page.
Rosu Aquabutts
"It was okay."

Yeah I finished this like a week ago on an airplane! Good times. It was a decent book, I didn't like it as much as the previous two because instead of being not plot all dragons like the first and more plot based like the second it thought it could have 350 pages of dragons and 60 pages of plot and that would somehow make it an epic book and no.

But the dragons were cute and the ending was pretty cool.

Largely enjoyable series! Highly recommended to anyone who likes dragons.
Cilla Savary
Nov 16, 2014 Cilla Savary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. So a story laid out in three books is a trilogy. So what is a story across four books? A quadrilogy? This is the third of the four. I love this story. Riding dragons isn't new. Riding dragons as fighters isn't new. But Mercedes Lackey, as always, manages to weave a new story in a field that seems filled to the brim. And as always, she finds new twists to write about. You won't be disappointed.
Karen
Feb 28, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Stronger than Alta. The series (so far, because apparently there's a fourth book) is pretty awesome as dragon series go. "Dragon Jousters" is the "Inheritance Cycle" (Eragon, etc.) for people with reading ability above the sixth grade.
Raptorix
Oct 09, 2007 Raptorix rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ah! This book doesn't suck so bad as a third book, like the Silver Gryphon did. More Kirion and Aket-ten romance. Looking back, it doesn't seem like too much happened in the book compared to say, the first two.

However, I am excited to get my paws on Aerie, the fourth and final book of this series.
Maria
Apr 02, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in this series more than meets expectations. The characters from the previous books all come together and work for a common goal. The suspense in this book comes mostly toward the end but all three books are fast-paced and easy to read. This series will definitely go on my re-read shelves.
Christina
May 21, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plot: 6/7

Hahahaha, take that Magi! It will be interesting to see what the conflict is in book 4, since this one seems to wrap up the existing plots lines pretty well.

Writing Style: 5/7

Pretty fast-paced, and the ending is epic.

Cover: 5/7

I like seeing the whole flock of dragons on the cover, since this book is less about Vetch and more about all the dragon riders.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-3-times, fantasy
I discovered this series at the library. I was excited to find a dragon-themed world that didn't steal from McCaffrey. As usual, Lackey's description of different cultures and the inner workings of magic are major strengths. Here, survivors from the two countries unite in a secret sanctuary to defeat the wizards.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The conclusion to the Dragon Jousters. This third book was fine and a nice conclusion. Ms. Lackey does a great job with her world creation. I can see everything she describes. She's an excellent storyteller.
Lizzie Buckley
Dec 17, 2013 Lizzie Buckley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite book of the series besides the first one. action and drama, characters learning about themselves, all the best things a reader loves all rolled into a gem colored package with wings.
Jessalyn King
The blurbs for these books are truly awful. And I really do wish that the publisher had at least a proofreader skim the books before putting them out... It could have done with a final copy-edit too. Otherwise, I still enjoyed it.
Kaylee
Aug 11, 2016 Kaylee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The transition from book one to book two was very smooth. The transition from two to three was a bit annoying, with too much time spent on recap at the beginning.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it as much as the first two books, which is a lot!
Janine
Jul 29, 2011 Janine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The Dragon Jousters is a series about a serf who obtains a dragon egg, hatches it, and raises it as his own - revolutionizing the Dragon-Jousting industry, the driving force behind the war between his home country and the one that enslaved him.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I ripped through this pretty quickly. It was definitely a page turner and an easy read. The story was enjoyable, I just feel like Mercedes Lackey's actual writing could be better. But she does come up with good plots.
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • The Skies of Pern (Pern, #16)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Book of Fire (Dragon Quartet, #3)
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • The Mirror Prince (The Mirror Prince #1)
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • Shadow Leader (Wolfwalker, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Dragon Jousters (4 books)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)
  • Aerie (Dragon Jousters, #4)