Start by marking “The Egyptian Box” as Want to Read:
The Egyptian Box

The Egyptian Box

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Tee (short for Leticia) Woodie and her family have moved into a big, old house that is a part of her father's inheritance from Great-uncle Sebastian. While exploring the contents of Great-uncle's antiques-and-junk store, they find a parcel marked FOR DEAR LETICIA, MY SHABTI BOX. The decorated Egyptian box inside holds the shabti, a colorful wooden figure of a girl in paint ...more
Published January 28th 2008 by Aladdin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Egyptian Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Egyptian Box

An Odd1
Heiroglyphs, magic, easy to read, easy to identify with child. Unhappiness inside can make prickly outside. Moral can apply to adults. We can act mean, "Snooty" p 131 when we are lonely. We can learn to enjoy life when threatened with losing what little we have. Someone undervalued or unnoticed can be better, smarter, more generous, step in and save us.

Cowardly lazy over-critical sharp-tongued kid finds out the hard way to appreciate family, life, and changes. She is so hard done by "have to do
Sarah Sammis
I have a thing for Egyptian themed books so when I saw The Egyptian Box by Jane Louise Curry at my local library I snatched it up. It's about Tee trying to come to terms with being forced to move from Maine to Oasis California. There she is given a shabti (http://www.touregypt.net/shabti.htm) as part of her inheritance from her late Great Uncle who was an antique dealer specializing in unusual and mystical things.

Tee's brother transliterates the hieroglphs on the shabti box well enough to activa
Kenzie
I loved this book so much when I was younger. Mainly because I have a love for Egypt.
Natali
This book was one of the first books my mom and I read together and still one of my all time favorites. Tee has just moved into a new house, a new city, and a new life. When she finds an Egyptian box in her uncle's attic, her life will change forever. The box contains a shabti, a servant put in Egyptian tombs to serve the king or queen. When the shabti starts working for Tee, she thinks her life will be easier now. But when the shabti starts liking to be "Tee", Tee and her brother, Charles, must ...more
Veronica
This was a good book about a girl who awakens a Egyptian Servant and gets her to do everything for her. In time she realizes that this servant (shabati) is trying to be her - the shabati locks her in the basement and does other things to stop Lee having a normal life. Lee has to find a way to get her life back - even if it means that she'll have to go to school and do the dishes.

The ending is a bit strange. To easy.
Melissa
This is an interesting read, about an Egyptian Shabti that comes to life to serve the Princess that it was buried with thousands of years ago. A fun twist on history set for a fourth grade level, so I believe I will be reading this with my daughter soon.
Kendra
I found this book to be okay, but nothing special. It was very predictable and I thought it could have been more suspenseful and exciting. THE EGYPTIAN BOX would probably be suited for about 4th or 5th grade, but not much older. Optional.
Briana
Kinda seems a little sci-fi -- embraces idea of a secret robot to do chores, but then things go very very wrong -- only robot is a shabti.
Melissa
Good, solid story with an interesting premise. Would have rated a bit higher, but felt the ending took the easy way out.
Chris Liosatos
Chris Liosatos marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Rika Oi
Rika Oi marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Lindsay Gruesu
Lindsay Gruesu marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Cheyenne Alexander
Cheyenne Alexander marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Ni Walendy
Ni Walendy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Jacque
Jacque marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jane Louise Curry was born in East Liverpool, Ohio, on September 24, 1932. She is the daughter of William Jack Curry Jr. and Helen Margaret Curry. Curry grew up in Pennsylvania (Kittanning and Johnstown), but upon her graduation from college she moved to Los Angeles, California, and London, England.

Curry attended the Pennsylvania State University in 1950, and she studied there until 1951 when she
More about Jane Louise Curry...
A Stolen Life The Mysterious Shrinking House Parsley Sage, Rosemary, & Time The Black Canary Moon Window