Start by marking “Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image and Self-Worth” as Want to Read:
Finding the Angel Within:  Spirituality, Body Image and Self-Worth

Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image and Self-Worth

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Why is it so difficult to feel good about ourselves? There are times when most, if not all of us, have felt miserable about our bodies — no matter what the number on the scale tells us. Bestselling author Pamela H. Hansen has received thousands of letters and emails from people struggling with issues of body image and self-worth. Her new book confronts society's obsession ...more
Published 2008 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Finding the Angel Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding the Angel Within

Becky
This book was an easy read. I started it this morning and finished it in about 3-4 hours. Very insightful, gave hope and encouragement
Mindi Bennett
This book was given to me by my mom a long time ago and has just been sitting on the nightstand. The title and picture on the cover made it appear to be a self-helpie-ish kind of book that I wasn't very interested in reading. But I picked it up and finished it quickly, and I'm glad I read it. The author is LDS, teaches weight loss/management classes and serves on the Women's Advisory Council at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center (where she has received awards for her contributions to women's he ...more
Abby
I finished this book this morning. Technically, I had made it to page 101, and there are 140 pages in the book, and I covered those last 39 pages while brushing my teeth. My electric toothbrush runs for 3 minutes, I think, so each page received approximately 4.61 seconds of attention. But technically, I looked at most of them. So I'm hoping that counts as me having finished the book.

I really really like Pamela Hansen. And everything she said in this book was really, really good. Kind of like eve
Rachel
I've got to preface my 3 star rating, I really like Pam Hansen and loved her book "Running With Angels" which is a must-read, hands down. However, her latest offering was kind of an extension on her correct views of body images, our spiritulity, facing challenges, etc. It was nothing really new and I didn't actually finish the book for that reason. It did contain updates on her family and responses from readers of her first book. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book at all, just a bit repetit ...more
Giana
Again, another compelling and motivational book. She addresses body image and the pressure placed on our women, young and older, that get caught up in the false advertising we face every day. We are taught how to love the body given to us by a loving Father-in-Heaven. She also helps us to see that we can be an angel for others and the happiness that comes from serving others. It's the angels in Pamela's life that got her through her many losses.
Joe
Also a very inspiring book as her other book "Running with Angels", this one didn't seem to apply to me as much as the other one did. But she shares some very inspiring stories to help boost one's self-worth. A great book that I would recomment to anyone, especially someone who struggles from time to time to understand their real value as a person.

Also, I like Pamela Hansen because she gave me a guaranteed entry into the St. George Marathon.
jennifer
Excellent! Again an easy read but things I needed to hear! Having struggle with body image issues my whole life I could relate to so much that she shared! In this book she presents a sound approach to developing a healthy body image. She really spoke to my heart by her personal expamples and the examples of others! This may be more for the mormon audience as she uses a lot of mormon theology--but I think it is applicable across religious backgrounds.
Jennavier
This self-help book about low self esteem and poor body image really spoke to me. These are things I've been struggling with. I've been trying to make changes in my life but it's often hard to cut your own path to self-worth. Finding the Angel Within was about how faith in God and faith in myself can help me stop destructive behavior. It was occasionally less clear then I'd like but the overall message was very helpful.
Rachelle
I really liked Pam Hansen's first book (Running with Angels), so I was excited to read this one. This book had some good information and helpful tips, but reading it felt like a really long Relief Society lesson where you look at the clock every two minutes. It never felt like it got to the "meat" of the matter either. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I don't reccommend reading it either.
Melissa
This book has been really good for me. After having babies I have such a hard time feeling good about myself. After the weight gain. My husband got this for me and it helped me lots after our fourth child was born. It helps you realize what is really important. It is easy to get caught up in what the world thinks is important. I love these kinds of books.
Ann Amadori
This is not the sort of book I usually read but I enjoyed the stories and object lessons the author used to illustrate her points about spirituality, improving body image and self-worth. It caused me to think and I am glad to say I do not have much of a problem with these issues. It was nice to read her perspective however. Maybe I can help someone else.
Peggy
Oct 18, 2008 Peggy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Peggy by: Book club book
I enjoyed this book. There isn't much new in terms of counsel or advice, but it is sometimes shared in a manner that may help women hear it better. And there were some good quotes. I think it would be a good book for most women to read, as it's very fast reading, and it could help make the difference in a person's life.
Amy
Reading this book made me appreciate myself, and everyone needs to do that a little more in today's world. We are constantly assaulted by the world's idea of "perfection", which is disheartening to the general population. This book gives perspective on what is truly beautiful and what great lives we can lead!
Debra Kaitschuck
While the book had a good message, I just wasn't as involved with it or moved by it as I have been with some self-help books I've really enjoyed. There are lots of LDS references in the book. There is lots of advice and experience from other people. It wasn't near as personal to her as Running With Angels was.
Sara
This was recommended to me by a friend who really connected with the book. It is a quick read, and has some good material - the organization could be improved, I thought. Always good here and there to consider our feelings towards our bodies and assess those feelings with an eternal perspective.
Hollie Robb
Well didn't finish it. I just had a hard time with this one. Yes we all have a story good or bad, but we all have one. But to be fair I do think that herself discovery is very inspiring. But I do believe that we must discover ourselves, and we all have different ways of doing just that.

Tracy
Oct 24, 2008 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tracy by: karen valentine
I loved it! It made me want to be healthier and I guess reminded me or added to my understanding of the connection between our bodies and our spirits. This is written by a good friend of my mother-in-law, and I just love her insights and her sincere, funny, non-judgemental style of writing.
Liz
I liked it- it definitely gives you stuff to think about as far as body issues go. She had some good insights as to balancing between striving for a healthy body and becoming obsessed with a "perfect" body. The spiritual aspect of caring for our bodies was threaded throughout the book.
Danni
I loved this book. It made me feel better about who I am. It talks about not looking to the world to find beauty because that is not what Heavenly father sees anyway. She is such an amazing woman and I really admire what she has done with her life.
Marita
Sep 17, 2008 Marita rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marita by: RS
Shelves: rs, spirituality
A good example why a good, inspirational talk is not nessessary a good book. The highlighted quotes drove me crazy like I could not figure out the best part of the page on my own! I liked some of the personal stories and quotes she used.
Cori Allan
I finally finished this book! It was a really good book with lots of great quotes and insights - I am just not one for self help, so it was easy for me to read a bit here and there and then put it down between my other books of choice.
Karlee
I thought this was a great book. I feel that very girl/woman should read it. It gave great insights on caring about ourselves, and the importance of loving ourselves. Really enjoyed some of the stories and quotes in there.
Rachel Messel
Apr 11, 2010 Rachel Messel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Natalie
I did not read her first book, "Running with Angels". It had a good message, but I felt I was wading through her journal and thoughts before it got to something more substantial that I could 'take into my daily life'...
Inspired Kathy
I loved her first book Running with Angels. This one is not nearly as good but still a good book. I found something within it's pages that was just what I needed to hear to quit making excuses.
Renae
This was given to me as a gift from my grandmas sister! I love the this second book now I need to get a hold of the first book called running with angels. :) All women should read this book
Karie Caldwell
I usually don't read this kind of stuff, but I am really liking it!!! If you struggle with self-esteem/ self-image issues, it is a must! Lots of truth in this one!
Cherice
I creased several pages and wish I had taken my colored pencil with me to the pool while I read this. A quick uplifting book. Thanks, Angie!
Melissa Hilton
Very good uplifting book. It's nothing new, yet something that is always good to hear. There are some good stories and things to think about.
Becky
I didn't end up finishing this. I loved her first book "Running With Angels", but this was too similar. I felt like I had already read this.
Tiffany
Jul 11, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with self esteem issues
Shelves: religious, self-help
I thought this book was good it helped me to see that I need to look at myself differently than I have been. It really helps the self esteem.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life
  • Forgiving Ourselves: Getting Back Up When We Let Ourselves Down
  • Live, Love, and Learn: Devotional Messages for Women
  • The Cost of Winning: Coming in First Across the Wrong Finish Line
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 2: 2000-2004 (Hardcover)
  • What I Wish I'd Known When I Was Single: How to Do Life As a Young Adult
  • An Elect Lady: The Illustrated Life Story Of Emma Smith
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
  • Broken Things to Mend
  • The Continuous Atonement
Running With Angels Live, Love, and Learn: Devotional Messages for Women In the Strength of the Lord: Talks from the 2009 BYU Women's Conference