Start by marking “Los Principes Demonio (El Rey Estelar, La Maquina de Matar, El Palacio del Amor)” as Want to Read:

Los Principes Demonio (Demon Princes #1-3 omnibus)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  901 ratings  ·  40 reviews
El Rey Estelar, La Máquina de Matar, El Palacio del Amor.
Tres novelas completas que se han convertido en clásicos de la ciencia ficción policiaca.
La educación de Kirth Gersen ha hecho de él un maestro en todas las formas conocidas de lucha y asesinato, preparado para enfrentarse a los criminales más peligrosos de la galaxia. Su vida tiene un único objetivo: dar muerte a
Published 1988 by Ediciones Martinez Roca

To ask other readers questions about Los Principes Demonio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Los Principes Demonio

Dan Schwent
The Star King: Kirth Gersen, last remaining survivor of the Mount Pleasant massacre, begins his quest for vengeance against the five Demon Princes. His first target, a Star King called Malagate the Woe. But which of the three suspects is Malagate?

The Star King is a space opera tale but felt like a western at times and a James Bond story at others. Gersen is a ultra-capable protagonist. I'm hoping the other Demon Princes give him more trouble.

I have two gripes with this book so far. One, this edi
Larou
One thing that has always bothered me about science fiction as literary genre is that so very few of its authors seem to have any awareness of their medium, i.e. language. Of course there are exceptions (Cordwainer Smith and Samuel Delany come to mind, not coincidentally my two favourite science fiction authors) but for the vast majority of science fiction literature out there, the language it is written in is serviceable at best and all too often merely clunky and stilted. Jack Vance is another ...more
Mark
An assassin with a philosophical bent of mind seeks revenge on five arch-criminals who killed his parents. The criminals are half-way to being archetypes, these first three being roughly ambition, fear, and passion. Some of the appeal is the slow unraveling of why the criminal became that way. However, reading Vance is mostly about his style and the environments that he creates. Occasionally a SF author will begin his chapters with a short quote from a made-up future book. In the Demon Prince no ...more
Daniel
This is an omnibus that compiles the first three of Jack Vance's five novels in his Demon Princes series, and the author's powers are on full display. Herein may be the finest distillation of that distinctive Vancean voice, which is at once wry and sincere and somehow un-self-consciously magniloquent.

His characterizations are more vibrant sketches than fleshed out portraits (although never flat-out flat), and the plotting suffers some, but these are not the elements by which Jack Vance entrance
Wilsontherocker
Jack Vance's books are fun to read. These aren't novels that you'd want to read for their intricate plots or page-turning suspense. These are novels that you read for Jack Vance's narrative voice and his character and scenic descriptions. And on that level, these three novels are completely successful. I kept returning to these novels because I wanted to know what dry and witty thing the hero, Kirth Gerson, might say next. I looked forward to the snippets of philosophical insight that often intr ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Not a bad read...but I wasn't as taken with it as some others I've talked to. I like some Vance...this failed to hold my interest. I really wanted to like it. I liked the idea and bought both collections together, but just didn't care for it/them.

By the way, they both went to the used book store at the same time to.
Aaron Singleton
Ahh, the Demon Princes. What can I say? Classic Vance. SF, mystery, intrigue, action, romance, adventure. Each of these books are superb. Anyone who has read Vance knows how good the writing is. For everyone else, you should give Vance a chance. Wow. My new slogan
Stephen Fielder
I had heard that Jack Vance was a master of science fiction, so I sought out one of his books to see for myself. I wasn't disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed both volumes 1 and 2 of The Demon Princes.
AJ
Nov 12, 2011 AJ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to AJ by: Alexia Schulz
Shelves: sci-fi
Ok let me get the bad out of the way because it's minimal and should not be detracting: 1) tech is slightly dated due to being originally written in 1964 and 2) role of women is slightly dated due to being written in 1964

That aside, this book was such a great read. The writing is crisp and accessible, the concepts quite original and unique even 50 years later. The stories are part action, part mystery and a bit of pulp detective mojo. I can't really say too much bad about it except that similar
Ciro
Olvidándonos de la trama (puedes leer un libro de Ian Fleming con venganza de por medio para todo fin práctico), lo que más me gustó de éste volumen y el siguiente Los Principes Demonio 2 fueron las descripciones de los lugares, planetas, costumbres y personajes involucrados... siempre viene bien un libro de vaqueros o de espías "sideral" y me la pasé divertido con éste libro de lectura rápida (aunque a veces un poco extenso).

Johne
I've finished the first segment of this book, The Star King.
After a slow start, the story of Kirth Gersen and an unknown antagonist named Malegate the Woe was very engaging and delightfully illuminating. You either love Vance's style of prose or you hate it, but in this case, his ideas eclipsed even his signature pedantic delivery. This was a mystery and a love story and drifted toward planetary noir. I was very entertained, and can't wait to read the remaining four parts of his encounter with
Donna Ialongo
Somehow I missed Jack Vance in the 60s when I was such an avid syfy reader. I think I might have liked him then more than I do now. Good plotting. Erudite vocabulary. Amazingly detailed creation of future worlds. But . . . the sexism must be overlooked as "normal" for the decade and, of course, we have surpassed some of his futuristic technology already -- even tho he sets these novels 1,500 years in the future. I'm not sorry I read them, but I think I might skip the last two in the series.
Gordon Howard
Serviceable science fiction - a morality tale from the Old West put into a science fiction future where humankind is colonizing the galaxy, but where the frontier, called the "beyond," remains. I read a compilation of all five novels, of which three are in this tome. Our protagonist dispatches one of the five "demon princes," arch-space criminals, who have wronged him, in each of the individual novels.
Dave
Jack Vance is still a kickass writer.

Of all his books, this series is my SECOND favorite:
1) The Star King
2) The Killing Machine
3) The Palace of Love
4) The Face
5) The Book of Dreams

If you're not a sci-fi or fantasy fan, this may not completely appeal to you. I'd recommend Lyonesse first, which should appeal to just about everyone.
Linda Roistacher
Read an interview with Jack Vance, who lives in Oakland, CA and is about 90 and was intrigued. I am enjoying this volume. Very little science...mostly about human [sic:] behavior. Good story teller; good suspense; characters are pretty interesting on the whole for sci-fi.
Nathanielk
An insanely fecund imagination: he makes you believe he is just reporting on completely formed cultures. The plots and characters are a bit dated, but overall the story is still fascinating.
Syaozhong
May 13, 2007 Syaozhong rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any
Shelves: completed
Landmark tales of revenge. Again, the very interesting studies of human nature and self-serving-ness. And also again, the vast and awe-some worlds evoked.

An engrossing read.
Amy
This is definitely my husband's genre and not mine. I thought the books were slow and uneventful and a little pointless. But Jack Vance certainly has an imagination.
Steve
older style space opera sci fi, with interesting moody noir personal style. good counterpoint to self consciously preoccupations with modern world.
Kate Howell
A must read. Absolutely my favorite Jack Vance Series of All times.
Boone
Excellent, no one can compare to Vance.
M.D. Backes
Vance at his xenophilic best.
Jordan
This Demon Princes collection is the first sci-fi tale of Vance’s I’ve read. I started with his influential Dying Earth and Lyonesse series, but it took me a while to try his sci-fi works. And the Demon Princes in no ways disappoints. Filled with whimsy, wit, and strangeness, it’s very readable. The tale of a man of driven revenge moves at a solid clip as Kith Gersen travels the cosmos, hunting the Demon Princes.
Keith
Sep 24, 2011 Keith is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, on-hand, sci-fi
Review in progress; I'm not done reading yet.

A sci-fi version of the classic revenge adventure—the same basic trope driving the kind of martial arts movies that inspired Tarantino's Kill Bill. Of course, it has all of Vance's trademark other-worldly weirdness, much in the vein of the Dying Earth stories, if less bleak and more cosmopolitan. Some of the background detail reminds me of the universe that Frank Herbert created for the Dune Chronicles, though not so much of the specific planets, and
Andrew
This is a collection of novellas that for the most part are engaging, well-written, and enjoyable. From time to time there are scenes that derail the pacing or jerk the reader out of the immersive world Vance has created. It is all in all a fine book that sci fi fans will enjoy; it's just hard to imagine it being anybody's favorite.
Matt
I was a big fan of Vance's "Tales of the Dying Earth," and picked this up hoping to get more of the characterization and vivid settings that he so artfully employed in those. It definitely delivered! Vance writes with great descriptive prose, drawing out elaborate environments and characteres and spinning them together into compelling stories. In "The Demon Princes," he sets up a protagonist with a very direct revenge motive, and then sets to work populating a universe full of interesting locati ...more
David Grace
An admission. Jack Vance and I are very good friends (he named a planet after in "The Face," Demon Prince Novel number 4). Still, I think he is one of the best SF writers of the last fifty years. And he has not written just one or two good books. Jack has written fifteen or twenty terrific books. The Demon Princes series, The Brave Freemen Series, The Planet of Adventure series, The Blue World, Showboat World, the list of great books goes on and on.

Start with the five Demon Princes Books then re
Кирилл Темненков
Развлекательное чтиво - космоопера: большая вселенная, сверхсветовые межзвездные перелеты, множество обитаемых миров, заселенных людьми, везде свой общественный строй. Картина мира вроде бы не особо оригинальная, но местами читать развлекательно.

Серия состоит из пяти книг, сюжет простой - в этом мире есть пять плохишей, в каждой из книг главный герой убивает одного из них.

Все бы хорошо, но первая книга была ничего, вторая - поскучнее, а на третьей я уже засыпал. Четвертую и пятую вообще уже чит
Saul
More than anything, its Vance's writing that keeps me captivated. The soft flowing nature of his prose takes the reader into a fantasy SF world, rich with charm and adventurous plots. There are few writers like Vance. However, I suppose he's not for everyone. If your looking for Hard SF, I don't think you'll be satisfied. Still, Vance is classic SF. A good read for anyone who loves the classics.
Elijah Kinch Spector
These books are a fuzzy memory to me now, but a very good fuzzy memory, and I think that really fits the way these stories are written.

Here's a review I wrote of the whole series, at once. I referred to these books as being "like Charles Portis writing science fiction."
  • Dangerous Visions 1
  • Freddy's Book
  • Night of the Jabberwock
  • Paper Grail
  • Engine Summer
  • The Big Gold Dream (Harlem Cycle, #4)
  • Forsake the Sky
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, 'The Dying Earth', was published in 1950 to gr
More about Jack Vance...

Demon Princes (5 books)
  • The Star King (Demon Princes, #1)
  • The Killing Machine (Demon Princes, #2)
  • The Palace of Love (Demon Princes, #3)
  • The Face (Demon Princes, #4)
  • The Book of Dreams (Demon Princes, #5)
The Dying Earth (The Dying Earth, #1) Tales of the Dying Earth: The Dying Earth/The Eyes of the Overworld/Cugel's Saga/Rhialto the Marvellous Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1) The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2) The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)

“When the ships had lifted, they returned across the river to the silence of death. Then his grandfather told him, "Many fine things your father had planned for you: learning and useful work and a life of satisfaction and peace. Do you recall this?"
"Yes, Grandfather."
"The learning you shall have. You will learn patience and resource, the ability of your hands and your mind. You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done—so therefore you may never know life of peace. However, I guarantee you ample satisfaction, for I will teach you to crave the blood of these men more than the flesh of woman."
The old man had been as good as his word.”
5 likes
“Candor is never indiscreet. Truth, which is to say, the reflection of life, is beautiful.” 4 likes