Start by marking “Humans (Neanderthal Parallax, #2)” as Want to Read:
Humans (Neanderthal Parallax, #2)

Humans (Neanderthal Parallax #2)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  4,516 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Robert J. Sawyer, the award-winning and bestselling writer, hits the peak of his powers in Humans, the second book of The Neanderthal Parallax, his trilogy about our world and parallel one in which it was the Homo sapiens who died out and the Neanderthals who became the dominant intelligent species. This powerful idea allows Sawyer to examine some of the deeply rooted assu ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Tor Books (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humans

Greg
Nov 04, 2012 Greg rated it it was ok
This book is pretty terrible.

I shouldn't have gone on with the series. Now that I'm two thirds of the way through I feel like i should finish it. Just to see where this train wreck is going. It's the book equivalent of slowing down while passing a car wreck, hoping to maybe see a decapitated head.

Another reviewer called out this book as basically being an extended liberal strawman argument. Yeah, it is that.

My friend Ceridwen said something about a part of a Sawyer book she read being like so
Laurie
Feb 16, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
I really love this author and want to read everything he's written. His books are so good that at first I thought his writing was nothing special, generic. This is because I become so wrapped up in his stories and the worlds he creates, I can't extricate myself enough to see his "style" or comment or even remember his particular wording. From page 1, I am immediately absorbed. I like his characters. I care about them. They are all really distinct and do not fall into cliches. While I know who is ...more
Fantasy Literature
Mar 13, 2016 Fantasy Literature rated it liked it
Ponter, the Neanderthal from another dimension, is back on Earth – our Earth.

This time, Ponter has brought nearly a dozen of the most celebrated scientists and intellectuals from his world. Though we humans are a difficult bunch to deal with, the Neanderthals seem determined to make contact work. Thank goodness, since a lone gunman on our side shoots a member of their delegation as soon as he gets the chance. Mary, meanwhile, is recruited into an American think tank that is determined to figure
Bruce Kroeze
Oct 04, 2010 Bruce Kroeze rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf
The second book in this series. It won awards, though I can't figure out why.

I found the characters to be even more cardboard cutouts than in the first novel. Also, the sharp insight and extrapolations based on science were notably lacking in this one.

Of course, Neanderthals are good in every way. Handsome men with giant units, they are great and sensitive lovers of course, sweet new-age men who pull together for the good of all.

Who wouldn't love this contrived utopia where no animal has ever go
Fred
Feb 01, 2010 Fred rated it did not like it
More human bashing using our oh so perfect yet totalitarian neanderthal cousins. Simplistic ideas tightly wrapped in bullshit and I wanted the main characters to die. couldn't finish it. Got it as an audiobook, I was sighing and rolling my eyes so much that people around me started taking it personally.
This is sci-fi for congenital idiots.
Jorid Sørli
Mar 25, 2017 Jorid Sørli rated it did not like it
Wow, that was bad. I guess the author was trying to be profound, but it was falling asleep boring! Nothing new happens in this book and the religous discussion are just anoying and neverending. I only finished because I was on a plane with no internet connection. Bad! Stop with book 1!
mlady_rebecca
This is one of those series that underscores science fiction as speculative fiction. Beyond being a compelling story, it's an amazing forum for social commentary.

By looking at the alternate world where Neanderthals became the dominant human species, rather than homo sapiens, we can easily see many roads not taken, and the consequences that followed. Things like overpopulation, slavery, and certain livestock born diseases would not exist if we were still hunter/gatherers. There would also be mor
David
Jan 17, 2011 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The story line for this series continues to be interesting but as I continue to read a number of Sawyer's books in rapid succession I am becoming less and less fond of his writing.

Some of it is just annoying. For example, in this book a main character in the story is a female PhD Geneticist who works at York University in Toronto. She is offered a job in Rochester, NY, and asks "That's not far from here, is it?" Doh! It's across the lake from you lady! While in Rochester it is suggested that sh
VanGogh's Beard
Feb 21, 2011 VanGogh's Beard rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Ugggh..
I had to wait a day or two before I wrote the review for this book.
The first was was amazing and offered such possibility for the exploration of a new world.
This one is such a disappointment.

What it ends up being is a weak romance/rape/revenge novel.
If you're into that kind of thing, you'll dig this series.
-or-
If you're a caucasian male and enjoy feeling responsible for all the ills of the world, this will tickle your guilt as well.

I finished it and am curious to see if the last one rede
Lis Carey
Feb 22, 2014 Lis Carey rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-sf, fiction
Note: This review is from several years ago, I'm guessing 2005 or 2006. Clearly I had a very different reaction to Humans Humans (Neanderthal Parallax, #2) by Robert J. Sawyer than to Hominids Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1) by Robert J. Sawyer. I have no idea whether the quality of the two books is really that different, or the change is in me, or whether Humans simply doesn't work out of sequence, but would work better if I read them in order.

This is a 2004 Hugo Award nominee for Best Novel. No, really, it is. You can check the website.

It's also the second of Sawyer's three novels about our ki
Darren Vincent
Feb 15, 2012 Darren Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
An incredible book. My review of the first book in the series was that I was not all that impressed in comparison to some of his other books. This book more than makes up for whatever I felt was lacking in that book. THIS book is pure Sawyer. Pure fiction backed by (seemingly) sound science. And that is just the shell of the plot.

What makes this book so great (as well as some of his others) is the ideas he brings forth from within the main plot. There were some ideas and situations that I was no
Merredith
Aug 17, 2011 Merredith rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: archaeology and anthropology lovers
A couple of years ago, I borrowed an at the time roommate's copy of the first volume in this trilogy. It sets up that way back at the beginning of humanity, earth split into two parallel universes, and in the other, it was us who died out, and neanderthals who became the humans of the world. they accidentally open a portal to canada, and the saga begins. In this second of the three books, the main character Ponter convinces his government to let him reopen the portal, and crosses back into our r ...more
Badseedgirl
What the hell just happened here? The first book in Robert Sawyer’s “Neanderthal Parallax,” Hominids, was a science fiction exploration of an alternate dimension in which the Neanderthal society became the apex predator, and how this society evolved in a modern day Earth. It won a Hugo award, and if not perfect was at least an entertaining read. It was good enough for me to want to read the second book in the series, Humans.

This second book, well, let’s just say it is not the same. Humans now ho
Susanna
Jul 02, 2014 Susanna rated it it was ok
What I said about the first book of the trilogy.

Plus: The author shouldn't have listened to whoever told him that it was time for a very explicit sex scene. You should only write about the things you know after all...

And I won't even try to understand why the Neanderthal protagonist has to become a Christian - I am afraid my head would explode if I did.
Traveller
I found Humans a better read in almost every respect than its predecessor. A more subtle and natural style, yet more action-packed, and also containing even more speculative ideas than the first one.

Perhaps, also, I had to some extent become used to Sawyers' far-fetched ideas and scenarios by now. Well, it is specualtive fiction, after all...
NormaCenva
Mar 03, 2017 NormaCenva rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I very much enjoyed the exploration of the unique world the Author crafted for this series. The character's are still amazing. And it is kinda great to read a book where humans are shown as complete inconsequential primitive idiots prone to unnecessary violence.
N.B. Mary Vaughan is such an ignorant idiot! Just proves that religion fucks up everything, and especially the mind, even if it is a scientist's mind. Her idiotic semantics really diminished the pleasure of re-reading this.
Ben Babcock
When something momentous, like a Neanderthal physicist from an alternate universe visiting our universe, happens once, it's a fluke. When it happens a second time—and when the portal that connects the two universes shows every sign of lasting indefinitely—it's a paradigm shift. Society will have to adjust to having Neanderthal neighbours like Ponter Boddit, who is not only redefining what we consider "human"; he's also holding up a mirror to "human" society, forcing us to reevaluate all the prac ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 06, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Humans (Neanderthal Parallax #2)
by Robert J. Sawyer

Humans, the second books in the Neanderthal Parallax series is a disappointment compared to the first book (which I gave three stars).

(view spoiler)
Bill Purdy
Feb 28, 2008 Bill Purdy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys good, earthbound sci-fi
Backstory is important with sci-fi titles, since that's the foundation on which entire careers are launched. It seems the guiding principal of successfully writing SF (i.e., actually making a living doing it) is to develop and establish a compelling "universe," preferably one that resonates with the book-buying public, then milk that "universe" for all it's worth by first writing a trilogy, then (if you're really good) writing several more trilogies (e.g., "Volume 17 of the Ayy'k'brin Starquest" ...more
D.L. Morrese
Oct 10, 2011 D.L. Morrese rated it it was ok
Humans, the second novel in Robert J. Sawyer’s The Neanderthal Parallax series is more romance than science fiction complete with the mandatory steamy sex scene. Unfortunately the female lead in this romance story, Mary (Homo sapiens), provokes little interest. I personally found nothing especially admirable about her and actually found her somewhat annoying. The male lead, Ponter (Homo neanderthalensis), is more interesting, but even he seems to fluctuate from being scientifically objective, as ...more
Mei-Lu
Jan 06, 2012 Mei-Lu rated it it was ok
Humans is the second book in Robert J. Sawyer's trilogy, the Neanderthal Parallax. The trilogy is about what happens when a portal opens between two parallel universes - one the one we live in, the other one in which the Neanderthals (rather than homo sapiens) survived to become the dominant species. In the first book, Hominids, we spent most of our time with the Neanderthal physicist, Ponter Boddit, who had become accidentally transported into our universe. In Humans, the Neanderthals and the h ...more
John
Feb 16, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Similar to its preceding book, Humans is a technically smooth novel with a pleasing style. Unlike its preceding book, Hominids, this installment mixes it up a bit. The running plot is framed by Ponter's session with a personality sculpture (what we would call a shrink in our universe)

At first the story focuses primarily on Ponter Bonditt and Tukana Pratt, who are Neanderthals from Earth from a parallel universe visiting Earth from the universe we know. With the portal between the Neanderthal wor
Mandy Moody
Sep 22, 2008 Mandy Moody rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Humans is a typical sequel in the fact that it's not nearly as good as it's predecessor. Although I would have given it 3.5 stars, if halfs were allowed.
Humans picks up where Hominids left off with very little time having passed between books. Ponter is working with a personality sculptor (or a therapist) and speaking of a crime he committed while in our world. Most chapters begin with their conversation, and the story follows as a flash-back. The style was a bit disconcerting as I prefer to rea
James
Jan 28, 2013 James rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Volume 2 of Sawyer’s Neanderthal trilogy was pretty good. I think where it fails is in its making this reader curious about the events of the two cultures clashing nicely and then shifts over to a soap opera of sorts. That, I was not thrilled with!

The book picks up where Volume 1, Hominids, left off. Humans could somewhat stand on its own, but go ahead and read Hominids first.

It was fun to read about Ponter and the new ambassador and how they deal with the alternate Earth (us). As the story go
Fred Hughes
Dec 14, 2011 Fred Hughes rated it really liked it
This is the second book in The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy. The other two being Hominids (book 1) and Hybrid (book 3).

In this book Ponter Bonditt ( Neanderthal physicist) and Mary Vaughan (human geneticist) continue to develop their relation ship .

A permanent portal is created between their two worlds and both cultures travel to the other side to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.

Mary grapples with the confusing Neanderthal relationships while also trying to deal with her rap
Mukta Mohapatra
Jul 23, 2015 Mukta Mohapatra rated it really liked it
Now that the Neanderthal world has figured out way to keep the passages between their world and ours open, humans from both worlds are traveling back and forth to learn from each other. Scientists, doctors and artists are comparing work. The Neanderthal government is cautious and wants to close the tunnel off, but the people of their world are determined to keep it open.

This story is told to us as Ponter talks to a therapist. He is having a hard time dealing with a crime he committed on our Eart
Chris
I like the book because it's a cool concept. Portal opens between Neanderthal world and homo sapiens world and interesting things happen. However there are a few things that really bug me about the book.

First of all, the humans never really criticize the Neanderthal world. They only say that it's "different." Sure, we have crime and pollution and overpopulation and all sorts of unpleasantness. Ponter is completely right to criticize those things, but Mary Vaughn never seems to say, "Gee, you li
John Parungao
Apr 09, 2015 John Parungao rated it really liked it
For the second book of the Neanderthal Parallax trilogy, it's an interesting read as we get to know Mary Vaughan better and see her continuing recovery from the assault in the first book. We also see the growing bond between her and Ponter Boddit. We also get to see the development of relations between our world and the parallel Neanderthal world.

It's also interesting to note that as part of this developing exchange between two worlds Mary accepts a job with the Synergy Group, a think tank based
Sara
Feb 19, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it
Enjoyed re-reading this series. Fast paced. Canadian focus :-) The plot can outrun the characters at times. Anthropological science fiction that keeps one engaged.
Fred
Jan 25, 2012 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not as good as the first one but still worth reading. I'm actually about a third of the way through the book following this one now and I can state with certainty that it does get better.

The ultimate moral quandary in this particular book and one of the major ones in the series revolves around the sterilization of criminals and those with genetic diseases and disorders. Arguments are presented both for and against and the reader is more or less left to decide which side they personally come down
  • Kiln People
  • Blind Lake
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Radio #2)
  • The Pirates of Ersatz
  • Nekropolis
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • The Planet Buyer
  • Fifty Degrees Below (Science in the Capital, #2)
  • Bones of the Earth
  • The Enemy Stars
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • Courtship Rite
  • The Whole Man
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Seeker (Alex Benedict, #3)
  • Mammoth
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in
More about Robert J. Sawyer...

Neanderthal Parallax (3 books)
  • Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1)
  • Hybrids (Neanderthal Parallax, #3)