Start by marking “Moje pierwsze samobójstwo” as Want to Read:
Moje pierwsze samobójstwo

Moje pierwsze samobójstwo

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Nowa książka Pilcha to zbiór 10 opowiadań. Miłośnicy pisarza znajdą tu oczywiście szalone uwielbienie dla damskich wdzięków, osobliwe przygody, czy mniej lub bardziej skryte popijanie. Natychmiast rozpoznają charakterystyczny, błyskotliwy, słodko-kwaśny styl. A jednak pobrzmiewa w nim coś nowego: to czarodziejski Pilch nostalgiczny, liryczny a nawet poetycki, odwołujący si ...more
Published January 2006 by Świat Książki

To ask other readers questions about Moje pierwsze samobójstwo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moje pierwsze samobójstwo

Travelling Sunny
Jerzy Pilch is either incredibly brilliant or incredibly disturbed. I'm leaning towards brilliant. Although I've rated it only two stars based on my personal reaction, I believe this will rate four or five stars in the hands of the right reader - probably a male.

Ten chapters in the book, each telling a different snippet of the man's life story. Which man? The author or the character? It's not clear, which is certainly a mark in favor of his storytelling ability. It took four or five chapters bef
Brandon Prak
My First Suicide tells the story of Jerzy Pilch, a lonely meat shop worker who is near his breaking point. The book is set in New York during the late 1800's, when he barely just began his journey for love. Hoping to end his loneliness and find love, Jerzy Pilch must search for the right women that would satisfy his interests. Jerzy Pilch does everything he could to find the right girl searching far and wide, going on random blind dates, and even asking random women he thought were right. The bo ...more

I'll just repeat, in much condensed form: see Sunny -- she said it first and best -- and I'm pretty sure there are two occurrences of the discrete/discreet homophone error, which makes me want to write a letter to David Frick and see if he has some kind of literary Polish justification for it, as I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here (and it really just happens to be a bugaboo of mine).

Otherwise, very different from what I remember of H
Full Stop

Review by Tyler Malone

“I am composing short stories now. A collection of short stories of a different sort,” says the narrator of Polish writer Jerzy Pilch’s recently translated My First Suicide, his third book to be published in English by Open Letter Books. The beautiful woman to whom he is speaking taunts him with the following question: “A novel is less than a novel, but a volume of short stories is more than a volume of short stories?”

Like The Streets
Jest to moja pierwsza styczność z Pilchem i jestem mile zaskoczony. Niektórzy krytycy porównują jego styl do Hrabala i muszę przyznać, ze wyczuwa się pewne podobieństwo, choć Pilch w tym zestawieniu jest bardziej wulgarny. Prosty, dosadny język ociekający sarkazmem i cynizmem w stosunku do siebie, jako narratora i całego świata wokół daje mieszankę wielu błyskotliwych przemyśleń. Pilch z tego, co widzę ma pewną dziwną tendencje do nazw własnych, które często wręcz rytmicznie wybijane są co jakiś ...more
At times brilliant but also frustrating, Pilch remains an interesting writer though not every moment of this one added up to much. Still liked it, but I found myself wondering why.
Zuza Sobecka
Several chapters are incredible, I fell in love, but they are followed by few very boring and complicated chapters, which I'd throw away.
Chad Post
DISCLAIMER: I am the publisher of the book and thus spent approximately two years reading and editing and working on it. So take my review with a grain of salt, or the understanding that I am deeply invested in this text and know it quite well. Also, I would really appreciate it if you would purchase this book, since it would benefit Open Letter directly.

This is a brilliant novel-in-stories that will definitely satisfy fans of Pilch's other works. Funny, touching, occasionally, and always stylis

This quirky little gem is part of an exciting series of translated literature from Open Letter at the University of Rochester. Brimming with dark humor and nostalgia, eroticism and innocence, these ten short connected pieces coalesce into a literary whole that is almost as unexpected as it is pleasurable. Last piece was not my favorite otherwise pretty close to five stars.
I remember that this book made me laugh, and, unfortunately, little more than that. Inchoate as they may be, my memories of this book are largely positive.
Aug 18, 2012 Will rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Will by: Chad Post
At turns funny, poignant, but always entertaining, it felt like I was sitting in a Warsaw cafe with Pilch while he was drinking and telling stories about his life, his loves, his losses, his desires, his routines, his habits...I loved it, and highly recommend it.
It's a collection but all linked. Not exactly stories either. More like recounting in a stream of consciousness. a brilliantly dry sense of humour shines through. Who would think Lutherism was so funny
Found this to be quite interesting. Good writing style and it had me turning pages for hours. Got this as an ARC
Zuzx G
Tytułowe opowiadanie to majstersztyk.
'Nic - rude niebo nad Czantorią.'
Sara Szczuka
Sara Szczuka marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
pitogo marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Patryk is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Jolanta Cyrek
Jolanta Cyrek is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2015
Rozalia marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Sonrisa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
  • Guadalajara
  • Gottland
  • This Is the Garden
  • Boso, ale w ostrogach
Jerzy Pilch is one of the most important contemporary Polish writers and journalists.

Critics have compared Pilch's style to Witold Gombrowicz, Milan Kundera, or Bohumil Hrabal.
More about Jerzy Pilch...