Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Moje pierwsze samobójstwo” as Want to Read:
Moje pierwsze samobójstwo
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Moje pierwsze samobójstwo

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  371 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Nowa książka Pilcha to zbiór 10 opowiadań. Miłośnicy pisarza znajdą tu oczywiście szalone uwielbienie dla damskich wdzięków, osobliwe przygody, czy mniej lub bardziej skryte popijanie. Natychmiast rozpoznają charakterystyczny, błyskotliwy, słodko-kwaśny styl. A jednak pobrzmiewa w nim coś nowego: to czarodziejski Pilch nostalgiczny, liryczny a nawet poetycki, odwołujący si ...more
Hardcover, 304 pages
Published January 2006 by Świat Książki
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Moje pierwsze samobójstwo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moje pierwsze samobójstwo

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Travelling Sunny
Jerzy Pilch is either incredibly brilliant or incredibly disturbed. I'm leaning towards brilliant. Although I've rated it only two stars based on my personal reaction, I believe this will rate four or five stars in the hands of the right reader - probably a male.

Ten chapters in the book, each telling a different snippet of the man's life story. Which man? The author or the character? It's not clear, which is certainly a mark in favor of his storytelling ability. It took four or five chapters bef
...more
Brandon Prak
Dec 18, 2013 Brandon Prak rated it really liked it
My First Suicide tells the story of Jerzy Pilch, a lonely meat shop worker who is near his breaking point. The book is set in New York during the late 1800's, when he barely just began his journey for love. Hoping to end his loneliness and find love, Jerzy Pilch must search for the right women that would satisfy his interests. Jerzy Pilch does everything he could to find the right girl searching far and wide, going on random blind dates, and even asking random women he thought were right. The bo ...more
Karin
Aug 16, 2012 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DAMN IT, GOODREADS. YOU DONE ATE MY REVIEW.

I'll just repeat, in much condensed form: see Sunny -- she said it first and best -- and I'm pretty sure there are two occurrences of the discrete/discreet homophone error, which makes me want to write a letter to David Frick and see if he has some kind of literary Polish justification for it, as I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here (and it really just happens to be a bugaboo of mine).

Otherwise, very different from what I remember of H
...more
Vincent
At times brilliant but also frustrating, Pilch remains an interesting writer though not every moment of this one added up to much. Still liked it, but I found myself wondering why.
Full Stop
http://www.full-stop.net/2012/08/17/r...

Review by Tyler Malone

“I am composing short stories now. A collection of short stories of a different sort,” says the narrator of Polish writer Jerzy Pilch’s recently translated My First Suicide, his third book to be published in English by Open Letter Books. The beautiful woman to whom he is speaking taunts him with the following question: “A novel is less than a novel, but a volume of short stories is more than a volume of short stories?”

Like The Streets
...more
EpidermaS
Dec 30, 2015 EpidermaS rated it liked it
Shelves: antologie
A mnie się wydaje, że ironia, którą wszyscy w tej książce widzą, że ten cały dystans, to niezła przykrywka jest. Pan się grodzi, Panie autorze. Pan się osłania. Pan się w tym całym pancerzyku sarkazmu chowa przed czymś, czego zidentyfikować nie jestem w stanie.

Jest w Pilchu jakiś niepokój, jakieś rozedrganie, jakaś tęsknota za tym, co już było, a jednocześnie pogodzenie z faktem, że nigdy nie powróci. Narrator we wszystkich chyba opowiadaniach CZEGOŚ poszukuje, ale ciężko jednoznacznie zdefinio
...more
Marek Pawlowski
May 29, 2014 Marek Pawlowski rated it really liked it
Jest to moja pierwsza styczność z Pilchem i jestem mile zaskoczony. Niektórzy krytycy porównują jego styl do Hrabala i muszę przyznać, ze wyczuwa się pewne podobieństwo, choć Pilch w tym zestawieniu jest bardziej wulgarny. Prosty, dosadny język ociekający sarkazmem i cynizmem w stosunku do siebie, jako narratora i całego świata wokół daje mieszankę wielu błyskotliwych przemyśleń. Pilch z tego, co widzę ma pewną dziwną tendencje do nazw własnych, które często wręcz rytmicznie wybijane są co jakiś ...more
Chad Post
Nov 03, 2011 Chad Post rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DISCLAIMER: I am the publisher of the book and thus spent approximately two years reading and editing and working on it. So take my review with a grain of salt, or the understanding that I am deeply invested in this text and know it quite well. Also, I would really appreciate it if you would purchase this book, since it would benefit Open Letter directly.

This is a brilliant novel-in-stories that will definitely satisfy fans of Pilch's other works. Funny, touching, occasionally, and always stylis
...more
Tony
May 31, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition


This quirky little gem is part of an exciting series of translated literature from Open Letter at the University of Rochester. Brimming with dark humor and nostalgia, eroticism and innocence, these ten short connected pieces coalesce into a literary whole that is almost as unexpected as it is pleasurable. Last piece was not my favorite otherwise pretty close to five stars.
Will
Aug 05, 2012 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Will by: Chad Post
At turns funny, poignant, but always entertaining, it felt like I was sitting in a Warsaw cafe with Pilch while he was drinking and telling stories about his life, his loves, his losses, his desires, his routines, his habits...I loved it, and highly recommend it.
Nora
Aug 05, 2013 Nora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a collection but all linked. Not exactly stories either. More like recounting in a stream of consciousness. a brilliantly dry sense of humour shines through. Who would think Lutherism was so funny
Agnieszka Czoska
Mar 11, 2016 Agnieszka Czoska rated it it was amazing
"Krytyka życia nie musi być pochwałą śmierci. Ale obrona życia musi być pochwałą rozpaczy." ("Rękopisy człowieka z moich stron")

Realizm magiczny, czasem odchudzony ironią, ale raczej dogłębny. Stąd wzięło się wiele demonów...
Ellie
Found this to be quite interesting. Good writing style and it had me turning pages for hours. Got this as an ARC
Ilona Góra
Feb 15, 2013 Ilona Góra rated it it was amazing
Beloved one.
Zuza Sobecka
Jul 01, 2015 Zuza Sobecka rated it it was amazing
Several chapters are incredible, I fell in love, but they are followed by few very boring and complicated chapters, which I'd throw away.
Taylor
Jul 04, 2016 Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I got four stories in but I couldn't manage to shake the terribly misogynistic vibe from #1 long enough to give any others a real chance. Maybe I'll revisit one day to finish the rest.
Daniel
Jan 05, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember that this book made me laugh, and, unfortunately, little more than that. Inchoate as they may be, my memories of this book are largely positive.
Zuzx G
Nov 07, 2012 Zuzx G rated it it was ok
Tytułowe opowiadanie to majstersztyk.
Justyna Suchecka
Justyna Suchecka rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2017
season
season rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Łukasz
Łukasz rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Izabela
Izabela rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Kamil
Kamil rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2013
arte
arte rated it really liked it
May 07, 2017
Marcin
Marcin rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Johannes Bernstein
Johannes Bernstein rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Rafal Czapski
Rafal Czapski rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Orange Bleu
Orange Bleu rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Mon
Mon rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Gnój
  • Zły
  • Widnokrąg
  • This Is the Garden
  • Paw królowej
  • Morfina
  • Beksińscy. Portret podwójny
  • Barbarian in the Garden
  • The Eighth Day of the Week
  • Ślepnąc od świateł
  • The Dark
  • Siódemka
  • The Faithful River
  • Tales of Galicia
  • Death in Danzig
  • Gra na wielu bębenkach: 19 opowiadań
  • Guadalajara
  • Boso, ale w ostrogach
529153
Jerzy Pilch is one of the most important contemporary Polish writers and journalists.

Critics have compared Pilch's style to Witold Gombrowicz, Milan Kundera, or Bohumil Hrabal.
More about Jerzy Pilch...

Share This Book