Start by marking “Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King” as Want to Read:
Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King

Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King (Symphony of Ages 0.5)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  430 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Contents:
* Terry Brooks - "Indomitable"
* George R. R. Martin - "The Sworn Sword"
* Diana Gabaldon - "Lord John and the Succubus"
* Orson Scott Card - "The Yazoo Queen"
* Elizabeth Haydon - "Threshold"
401 pages
Published 2004 by Ballantine Books/Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Legends II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends II

Rhonda
Dec 02, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I only got this to read the George R R Martin story because it is the second in the prequels to his A Song of Ice and Fire books. I really enjoyed the continuing story of the main characters, Dunk and Egg, and look forward to his third installment.
Sara
Jul 07, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
I only read the story by Elizabeth Haydon in this anthology, "Threshold", part of her Symphony of the Ages universe.

It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't go into details about it, but this story is incredibly well-written. It envoked strong emotions in me. It's very rare that stories envoke stomach-clenching horror, but "Threshold" did that.
Michael Kant
Feb 14, 2010 Michael Kant rated it really liked it
I picked up this anthology primarily to read the Terry Brooks contribution, and fell in love with Elizabeth Haydon's story. Her novels sometimes leave a bit to be desired, but if you only read one story of hers, make it this one.
Stacia
Dec 28, 2007 Stacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story anthology that I own, and I think it's a great addition to my library. I purchased this book because I was actively reading the worlds of several of the authors included in the book (and I would have recommended all those I was already reading - especially George R. R. Martin and Elizabeth Haydon), and I enjoyed what I learned from these stories. I also enjoyed the introduction to those authors I had not been reading.
Susan
Aug 21, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: whatever
George R. R. Martin - "The Sworn Sword" - 5/5

Orson Scott Card - "The Yazoo Queen" - Boring. 5/3

Diana Gabaldon - "Lord John and the Succubus" - Boring as fuck. 5/2

Elizabeth Haydon - "Threshold" - The description of the whole series was promising, so I was looking forward to reading this one - had to be disappointed. The language she uses, Idk, it's just so... off (pompous and overcomplicated were the words I was looking for), it makes reading the story utterly tedious. I find myself distracted b
Jennifer Lea
Reslly only got it for part two of George R. R. Martin's 'Dunk and Egg' series and had I been more serious about any of the other titles, I probably would have gotten more about it.
I've read Terry Brooks for years so I was very familiar with his story and as to Elizabeth Haydon, I'd like to read more from her.
That's about it ... :P
Marko
Nov 24, 2014 Marko rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-f
I got this anthology for the newest installment of GRR Martin's Dunk and Egg series, but was also looking forward to reading other stories in the book. As I am not familiar with any of the other series which these stories draw upon, I did not have any expectations of their subject or quality (well, apart from Brooks's Shanara, which I don't like very much).

This part of the anthology, in total, was OK. Martin's story was pretty dissapointing. I didn't get a feeling in more than a hundred pages of
Daniel
Read this specifically for the Terry Brook's short story, Indomitable.
Scott M Sizer
Only read the Dunk and Egg story. Very good.
Matt
May 20, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legends II: Dragon, Sword, and King bounds together short stories from five bestselling authors in fantasy in one-half of a follow up volume to the first Legends anthology. Edited by Robert Silverberg, this collection sees returning authors such as George R.R. Martin and Orson Scott Card with newcomers Terry Brooks, Diana Gabaldon, and Elizabeth Haydon. All are connected to the author’s best known established universe; however the success of each story is how the reader quickly understands the u ...more
Kolya Matteo
Mar 01, 2012 Kolya Matteo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've read the fantasy of George R.R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, and Terry Brooks before, and I liked their three stories. It's been over a decade since I read any of Mr. Card's or Mr. Brooks's fantasy, and I didn't enjoy their stories here as well as Mr. Martin's; I liked Mr. Card's story about Alvin Maker better than the Shannara story (although at the time, I think I liked the Shannara series better.)
The Shannara story was like one of the novels in miniature: Stranger arrives in Shady Vale, tak
Joshua
Jan 18, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it
3 out of the 5 stories are pretty good, with one being great (Martin fanboy here). Others weren't to my taste. Was pleasantly suprised by the Gabaldon story. Worth tracking down if you are a fan of Martin.
Brian
Jun 23, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the record, I'm only read the George R. R. Martin story in this one, library book and I don't read fast enough.

I thought the story was pretty good; mostly a demonstration of how detailed the Westeros world is, and that is pretty impressive. Parts of the story were somewhat cliche, strong woman kept down in a man's world, differences in social standing getting in between people, etc. I was a bit down on the story until the last 20 or so pages, when it finally picked up. I imagine folks who ar
Patrick
Jan 25, 2011 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I picked this up solely to read Terry Brooks' "Indomitable," which is another coda to his original Shannara trilogy. While the story itself (much like The Dark Wraith of Shannara ) doesn't add much to the mythology, it was refreshing to see Brooks work within the form of a short story; I wish he would do so more often.

As I haven't read any of the other franchises that are featured in Legends II, none of the other stories particularly appealed to me.
Milenavv
Feb 12, 2015 Milenavv rated it really liked it
Sequel of previously great books of short stories from favourie novels
Gabrijela Kermeci
Aug 04, 2014 Gabrijela Kermeci rated it really liked it
The Threshold and Dunk and Egg were great,others not so...
Jenna
May 31, 2009 Jenna rated it liked it
I like anthologies. It's a great way to get a glimpse of an author's style without committing to an entire novel, which can sometimes turn into a horrible, dragged out experience.

I picked up this particular one to read the short story by Terry Brooks, which was a post Wishsong of Shannara event. Of course, I loved it.

I had also been curious about all of the other authors and may even have to read a few of them now. =)
Mary
read: "The Yazoo Queen" alternate-history/fantasy by Orson Scoot Card; I was not impressed.
read: "Lord John and the Succubus" by Diana Galbaldon,; it was very consistent with The Outlander series.
read:"Shannara" by Terry Brooks, adequate fantasy
read: "The Sworn Sword" by G R R Martin, excellent! my whole reason for the Legends series.
Rick Ludwig
Oct 01, 2013 Rick Ludwig rated it really liked it
I read three of the short novels in this book and enjoyed them all. I would have read more, but my son borrowed it and the due date arrived before we knew it. I read the stories by Terry Brooks, George R.R. Martin and Orson Scott Card. They were all excellent.
Jan-Maat
Bought this for the GRR Martin Dunk & Egg story. I was interested enough by the Orson Scott Card story to go on and read an Alvin Maker book. So far no ill effects from reading the other stories, but I am still under constant medical observation just in case.
Christian McKay
Nov 18, 2009 Christian McKay rated it liked it
Much more consistent than the first volume, though pales in comparrisson to the best from the same. The Martin and Card stories were very good but not great. The Gabaldon, on the other hand, was fantastic. Last two couldn't catch my interest.
Gordon
Dec 14, 2008 Gordon rated it liked it
I picked this up from the library to read the Terry Brooks short story. It was fine, short, which was nice. I'm debating whether to continue in the series, or abandon and try someone else for a bit. Or pick TB back up later.
Ilex
Jun 21, 2012 Ilex rated it really liked it
I only read the Dunk and Egg tale in this (George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire) story. It was very enjoyable, continuing to set up background and backstory to the world and politics of the greater novels.
Ken French
Again, I only read the George R. R. Martin novella. Not quite as good as the one in the first Legends. Still, Dunk & Egg are great characters and I wish there were other stories of their adventures.
Terence
Sep 04, 2013 Terence rated it liked it
Read this book mainly to read the Sworn Sword by George R.R. Martin. I enjoyed the Sworn Sword, but I didn't particularly care for the other short stories in the book.
Arezia
Mar 11, 2015 Arezia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I bought it for Terry Brooks and George Martin's stories. And they are really good! Plus, thanks to this anthology, I discovered Diana Gabaldon!
Jack
Jul 20, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Only read The Sworn Sword in this collection. Really good! The ending was a bit of a surprise. I really, really liked the Red Widow.
Kaycie
Mar 16, 2009 Kaycie rated it it was amazing
I read this to get the Gabaldon short story - I am so glad I did, b/c it turned me on to George RR Martin!
Tami
Sep 22, 2008 Tami rated it liked it
Only read a couple of authors but the stories were great!
Roman
Mar 31, 2009 Roman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Yazoo Queen by Orson Scott Card (2004)
  • Warriors 1
  • Flashing Swords! 2
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • Act of Will (Hawthorne Saga, #1)
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One
  • Key to Survival (ChroMagic, #5)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection
  • The Valiant
  • Year's Best Fantasy 2
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection
  • Thieves' World: First Blood (Thieves' World, #1-2)
  • Children of the Lion: Cheysuli Omnibus 3 (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5-6)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition
  • The Bone Forest (Mythago Wood, #3)
  • Grails: Quests of the Dawn
  • The Bedford Introduction to Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)
  • The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)