Start by marking “Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.” as Want to Read:

A three-volume set of authoritative sermons that is a must for every LDS library. The path to salvation and happiness is explored and explained. This book provides a rich treasury of President Smith's timeless gospel insights.
Published January 1st 1999 by Bookcraft (first published July 4th 1976)

Be the first to ask a question about Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.

Adam
Mar 29, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Spanish and found it very informative. A lot of topics that are discussed from time to time are answered in this book.
Matthew Fellows
Jan 02, 2015 Matthew Fellows rated it did not like it
There was actually a time in my life in which I read this entire thing...WHAT THE FUCK?!
Ernie Dawson
Oct 08, 2009 Ernie Dawson rated it it was amazing
Pretty in-depth book on mormon doctrine which pre-dates Elder Bruce R. McConkies Mormon Doctrine. This book is only for the very serious student of mormon doctrine.
Carolyn
Jan 22, 2009 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite reference books. I wouldn't ever be without it.
Jenny Galbraith
Oct 02, 2011 Jenny Galbraith rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! Especially if you love deep doctrine.
Aaron
Mar 25, 2013 Aaron rated it really liked it
I'm writing a running commentary as I read this book.

I read yesterday evening Joseph Fielding Smith's statement that God will not reveal himself to anyone who does not have the gospel and the priesthood. He recognized that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in the Sacred Grove before he had either the gospel or the priesthood, but JFS explained that instance as a limited exception to the rule he had just stated. Because the gospel and the priesthood were not on the earth when Jose
Celeste
Mar 29, 2011 Celeste rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-yet-finished
Just a little bit at a time. I'm sure I'll be reading it for a looooong time.
Rachael
Oct 13, 2016 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This one took a long time but I am so glad that I read it! I learned so much. It is not light reading but it is well worth the time and effort. I loved it!
Eloise
Apr 19, 2009 Eloise rated it liked it
Shelves: own, church
A good reference book with a great deal of information on many gospel topics. The institute manual for Doctrine and Covenants referred to it quite a bit. I understand a little better why President Smith's teachings have been viewed as harsh by some people. He doesn't mince words. As a result, I've been somewhat reluctant to quote from the book a lot in my classes. However, there are some very clear explanations that are really useful.
[Name Redacted]
See my remarks on Fielding Smith's Answers to Gospel Questions: The classic collection in one volume. They're even more applicable here.
John Stevens
Sep 13, 2008 John Stevens rated it really liked it
Very insightful commentaries on nearly every component of living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the doctrine as described in the scriptures and a clear representation of the intended meaning. I believe it is accurate. Just getting into it.
Jeffrey
Jan 25, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Read this three volume set on my mission. It is a great read about most every principle and doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Although I found some of the material to be outdated in principle I still thought it was a great future reference book and enjoyed it a lot.
Tkplant
May 19, 2008 Tkplant rated it liked it
This opened my eyes to the personality of Jospeh Fielding Smith. He really had a distain for scientists. I also recognized Prophets are called for "their" time.
Mark
May 29, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
It is very helpful to see life and the gospel as explained and seen by such a stalwart disciple as Joseph Fielding Smith.
Garrett Tucker
Dinosaurs didn't die before Adam per a section of this work.
Jeffrey
Aug 18, 2015 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
A classic in Mormon literature. Took me quite a while to get through it all but it was well worth it. One of my overall favorite doctrinal books - one that I'd highly recommend.
Nandagopala
Nov 15, 2015 Nandagopala rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Been wanting to read it for a long time. I'm still in the first few chapters of the first volume but so far so good. Great book for those in the Mormon Church.
DeVonne
Aug 03, 2012 DeVonne added it
Shelves: lds-books
Great reference books.
Beth
greatest reference around. use this as a resource manual.
Cindy
Dec 02, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
I have volume 2 and 3 of this book. I would give Volume 3 a solid 4 stars, but only 3.5 to Volume 2. Now I need to get Volume 1!
Kathleen
Sep 23, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This set of 3 volumes helped me understand the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ more fully, and be better able to adhere to it's teachings.
Danny
Feb 23, 2008 Danny rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-religious
Great general resource for LDS doctrinal topics.
Cindy
Jan 08, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
I enjoyed learning more about the true gospel of Jesus Christ.
Clyde
Clyde rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Ricardo Ulanday
Ricardo Ulanday rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Jenny's
Jenny's rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Ginger
Ginger rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Wawa1209
Wawa1209 rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
David Stout
David Stout rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2009
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • The Great Apostasy
  • Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr. was the tenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1970 until his death. He was the son of Joseph F. Smith, who was the sixth president of the LDS Church. His grandfather was Hyrum Smith, brother of LDS Church founder Joseph Smith, Jr., who was Joseph Fielding's great-uncle.
More about Joseph Fielding Smith...

“Satan has control now. No matter where you look, he is in control, even in our own land. He is guiding the governments as far as the Lord will permit him. That is why there is so much strife, turmoil, and confusion all
over the earth. One master mind is governing the nations. It is not the president of the United States; it is
not Hitler; it is not Mussolini; it is not the king or government of England or any other land; it is Satan
himself.”