The Art of Peace

The Art of Peace

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  993 ratings  ·  48 reviews

The real way of the warrior is based on compassion, wisdom, fearlessness, and love of nature. So taught the great Morihei Ueshiba (1883�1969), founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido. Aikido is a disciple Ueshiba called the �Art of Peace.� It offers a nonviolent way to victory in the face of conflict, and he believed that Aikido principles could be applied to

Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by Shambhala (first published November 10th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Peace

Holy Bible by AnonymousThe Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.The Bhagavad Gita by AnonymousTao Te Ching by Lao TzuThe Quran by Muslim's Higher Power
Best Holy Books
90th out of 156 books — 464 voters
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomOctober Snow by Jenna BrooksThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoChicken Soup for the Teenage Soul by Jack CanfieldThe Jetstream of Success by Julian Pencilliah
Best Inspirational Books
199th out of 242 books — 352 voters

More lists with this book...

Martin
Granted this is not a Japanese original print of Ueshiba's words. Still it's a decent translation, and does collect many of the concepts that are often discussed in advanced aikido classes or seminars.

For those of you that have never heard of aikido, do not be turned off so quickly. This book reads like short reminders of for better living. If you have more time, explore his words more carefully and you might discover a universe of questions that arise from his words.
Charlie

Morihei Ueshiba was ahead of his time in preparing for a crowded, difficult world and his philosophy is extremely refined, non-dogmatic zen buddhism. Unfortunately his legacy has been held to an almost radical traditionalism regarding his teachings through the practice of the art of Aikido. Fortunately, his words transcend the quasi-militarism of the modern "martial arts" describing a state of as near perfection for an individual's potential being as possible.

One of the few books that deserves...more
Rick Marcello
Let me make this clear. I believe that Jesus Christ is God, Lord, and Savior. What does this have to do with this book? Well the Art of Peace is the basically the philosophy behind the martial art Akido. When I read the book I found it to be very poetic. With that being said I disagreed on a some serious religious and philosophical points. The one that stood out to me was the open denial of Christ and His Way. The book itself again was a quick and excellent read. But if you are not studying the...more
I LOVE this book! It has really short, bite-sized chapters that are still inspirational, no matter how many times I read them. This book was the first gift the Senseis gave me at the end of my first year at the dojo, and reading it made a great impact on my life and my attitude. Ueshiba wrote it for practitioners of his art (Aikido), but it applies to all aspects of life, martial and non-martial.
Naomi
Lots of wisdom to meditate on in this relatively slim volume of teachings from the Aikido master Morihei Ueshiba. Although I can't lift a suitcase (Morihei Ueshiba's definition of someone strong enough to practice Aikido), I still observe lots to learn from a great teacher.
Jeremy
Excellent bookend to the Tao Teh Ching...and good for any aikidoka (or any martial artist for that matter) in making peace and harmony an overarching goal in the struggle of the everyday.
Anne Marie
Is great even just to open at any page randomly each day and meditate on what you find there
Milos Vasic
The book that changed my life !
Andy
I want to learn Aikido now.
Supe
Good advice on being nice
Dania
Read & apply..
Bernie Gourley
The edition of The Art of Peace that I read is divided into three parts. Part I is a brief biography of Morihei Ueshiba, who was known as Ō-sensei to Aikidō practitioners and other admirers. Part II contrasts the art of war to Ueshiba’s art of peace. Part III is a collection of aphorisms and brief statements outlining the art of peace.

Ueshiba is the founder of Aikidō, a martial art that was derived in part from Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu, but which is distinct from that art in many ways. (e.g. the...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
This is a review of the kindle edition, which is expanded from the Shambhalla mini-book.

The Art of Peace is a three part book. The first part is a brief history of Ueshiba and his life and spiritual formation. Then they discuss his beliefs, and the third part is the art of peace itself, a collection of sayings and brief five-line haiku (tanka?) The kindle version also packs in 3 chapters of another book on Budo.

The first part is the most interesting. Ueshiba comes across as almost a Christ-like...more
Cristián
Pura filosofía. Lo que más me gustó:

As soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you.

The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit.

Through the virtue of training, Enlighten both body and soul.

A good stance and posture reflect a proper state of mind. (lol)

Each day of human life contains joy and...more
Stefany GG
From time to time I like to grab de this little book and read a lesson for that day to think about and apply it in my daily basis as a warrior for peace.
Damian Wells
Aikido is an oriental, specifically Japanese pathway to internal and external peace. This book is very good in so far as it explains it in detail and with clarity.
Sylvan Clarke
Good to read a book that provides a philosophical angle on achieving peace from all quarters of life, i loved the references to dealing with martial arts attack scenarios although i believe these are definitely more suited to high level practitioners who have obtained a a state of naturalness within their art. The short quotes made for a quick read and i would have given it 5 stars if it offered further advice on stopping violence before it starts i.e. conflict management & communication str...more
Cristian
Huge waste of paper mainly. Most pages are from 2 to 5 lines of content (with some exceptions), while the rest remains empty, so the 180+ pages this book is could be fit in around 40 or maybe less. There are also some caligraphy images in between that don't really seem important.
All in all, the content itself can sometimes be interesting, special if wanting to know a bit more about Morihei Ueshiba's mentality, but it's mostly pretty ambiguous or esoteric, and John Stevens seems to have taken qui...more
Krzysztof
Morihei Ueshiba is a fascinating person. For me the most interesting was learning about Ueshiba as a person more than about his teachings. The Art of Peace is more about style of living, approach to nature and to other people rather than about martial arts. It's a whole philosophical system.

The book should be interesting for all people, not especially interested in Aikido. I wasn't, I'm still not interested, but the book is worth reading for sure.
Mark
This short book is a good introduction to Morihei Ueshiba, founder of Aikido. The short biography combined with his collected writings shares much of his philosophy, and I found it both insightful on its own and enticement to learn more. Ultimately, what Ueshiba is trying to convey to people can't be written, so there are inherent limitations. But the book is well-done and well worth reading.
Laurel
The Art of Peace is deceptively short; though it is less than 200 pages, it takes a while to get through. It is enlightening, thought-provoking, and surprisingly practical. The Art of Peace is the kind of book that requires rereading to begin to understand it, but it is well worth the mental effort.
Andrew
I read this one on the beach in Zanzibar. It's kind of like the bible...written cryptically in places, and kind of impractical if taken 100% literally. Anyway, this is a quick read with some nice metaphorical messages about how to deal with external stresses.
Øystein
It was ok, used it mainly as a read to/from school.
I read a page and then stared off into the distance looking intelligent for a while :)
I'm not engaged in the matrial art Akaido which this book is closely related to, but it put an perspective on some subjects.
Matt Peterson
Jul 17, 2007 Matt Peterson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in aikido
This book is a collection of the poems, artworks and writings of the founder of Aikido. The book can be read as one element, or broken down into its components to be used for contemplation/meditation. The lessons are applicable to any field of study or practice.
Koshin
This is a collection of sayings from the founder of Aikido Morihei Ueshiba. The underlying principles of his art as well as his philosophies on life. You don't have to be a martial artist to appreciate the spiritual wisdom contained in the book.
Elizabeth Rose
I reread this little book at least twice a year because I love it so much. Much of its content is simple, common sense advice. The genius of The Art of Peace is that it sums up its wisdom with great clarity and brevity.
Paul
Good concepts in general. I had read a few years back and, as it should be, when you read a book again later in life different concepts sink in. It was like a new read. Something was missing though for a better rating...
William
John Stevens is a great translator, but I'm not a fan of his own work. His translations though are easy to read, and give a feeling that he understands what is being said in a different language, than just straight translation.
MrsQ
This is one of my favorite philosophy books--in fact, most of what is in here applies beautifully in the classroom. I like to use quotes from here as my "thought of the day" all the time...
Ari Lestariono
It is a martial arts of Hearts,it can be implemented in daily life,how to control emotions and blended with the Universe,not to collide with the energy of surroundings and becomes breath of peace
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of Shogun (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living
  • Karate-do: My Way of Life
  • The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi
  • Zen and Japanese Culture
  • Zen and the Brain
  • Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence
Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido Secret Teachings of Aikido Budo Training In Aikido Heart of Aikido: The Philosophy of Takemusu Aiki L'essence De L'aïkido:  L'enseignement Spirituel Du Fondateur De L'aïkido

“As soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weakens and defeats you.” 32 likes
“In the art of peace, a single cut of the sword summons up the wondrous powers of the universe. That one sword links the past, present, and future; it absorbs the universe. Time and space disappear. All of creation, from the distant past to the present moment, lives in the sword. All human existence flourishes right here in the sword you hold in your hands. You are now prepared for anything that may arise.” 7 likes