Start by marking “The Greatest Miracle in World” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Miracle in World

The Greatest Miracle in World

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,872 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
Mandino is the most widely read inspirational and self-help author in the world and also the author of 18 books with total sales of more than 36 million copies sold in 22 languages.
Published December 31st 2011 by Frederick Fell Publishers (first published 1975)

Seasielle ...
Oct 23, 2011 Seasielle ... rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My Aunt lent this book to me. After almost 2 months inside my book shelf, I finally placed a hand on this super inspiring book. How downhearted I felt because of not reading it upon receiving it. This book was totally awesome. When I say awesome, not just the simple one, but AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you feel the music in your life is already out of tune, just grab this book and read it to know the hidden secrets in every tune of music that is present in each one of us.

Love is the greatest secre
Walt Walkowski
I'm rating this zero stars. If this isn't the worst book I've ever read, it ranks very close to it, and it's an incredibly dangerous read to boot. Mandino says he has something "direct from God" for readers, but it's simply a mish-mash of pop psychology (circa 1970s) dressed in "God-language" with a few Bible verses (in flowery KJV) to add to the effect. The message, which has been delivered over the years in various forms of dress-up, is the very familiar song and dance related to the power of ...more
Dutch
Nov 09, 2010 Dutch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Dutch by: Sean Shepard
Outside of scriptures, this is the book I recommend the most for others to read. It is an awesome book! One of the few books that has actually made me cry and continues to do so every time I read it. I've read other Og Mandino books, but none touch me nearly as much as this one. My favorite quote from the book is:

"But how does all this connect to those books you've got piled up. Certainly they don't contain any secret methods on how to come back from the dead."
"Ah, but they do, Mr. Og. Most hu
William Patterson
Jan 13, 2011 William Patterson rated it it was amazing
Well, first things first. I will not be coming back to this page to see any of these comments again. Now, that being said. Let this statement prove something to you that we may just have forgotten (indeed many of us)........A critic (of this book or in-general) is simply a soul who is no longer folllowing his dream.......

Ch. 9 is where it's all at fellas, the stories greatest value is that it may be false or true, but the message is real just the same. There is no thriller in this one of a kille
Alana
Jul 29, 2011 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i could not put down this book when i began reading it...as i read the God memo I cried and cried...this is definitely one of my favourite books!
Italia8989
Sep 30, 2015 Italia8989 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Italia8989 by: Laura
I imagine that Og was rolling in the dough after he wrote this book in the 1970's. As a salesman and article writer, he must have known how to have people buy into what he said without secularizing beliefs. Thus, readers are not proselytized (as in most Christian memoirs).

If I'm assuming correctly, the seventies were a time when most individuals were stuck between the fantastical and logic. Og shapes a "true story" (where is the proof?) into a tale with various philosophical references and mana
Rahul
Aug 12, 2010 Rahul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
I include this in fiction because this IS a STORY, and it happens to be well-told. This is a self-help book which espouses American right-of-center beliefs that somewhat resemble secular humanism. I'm not ashamed to admit that I used to buy into this kind of drivel when I was younger. However, there are two assertions made here that are actually true. One, that people who lack a high degree of motivation are essentially living suicides, and two, that even those thoughts that we "casually" expose ...more
Karl
Sep 27, 2013 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this novel, one of the World's foremost inspirational authors, Og Mandino, shares the greatest secret in the world (no I am not going to tell you what it is). Using his encounters with a "ragpicker" named Simon Potter, Og Mandino shares a story about life and finding happiness that ultimately culminates in the "Memorandum from God."

Whether or not one believes the story surrounding the events that lead to the creation of the memorandum, I found this book inspirational and it was a very enjoya
Gabby
Oct 31, 2011 Gabby rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. Throughout the book my opinion of the main character, Simon, changed. I liked that it kept me reading to find out if Simon was being veracious or not. The author did a great job of personalizing the story, as well as giving it a mysterious feel. This book is great for anyone in need of a good pick me up and some motivation. By the end of the book I felt inspired to use my "powers of choice."
Vivaswantha
Jan 01, 2016 Vivaswantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first eight chapters in the book prepares you for a message and delivers it with a bang in the ninth chapter. One of the greatest book to put us on a right track of life.
Amanda Mcnair
Jan 19, 2013 Amanda Mcnair rated it really liked it
This is definitely a book for those who can chew the meat, spit out the bones. I think it does a wonderful job at reminding you that you are God's creation and therefore a miracle. Makes me think of Psalm 139. I don't care for Og Mandino's theology nor The God Memorandum in chapter 9 as there are several unbiblical parts. There are better books out there to explain this principle, the utmost being the Bible. Glad I read it, wouldn't necessarily feel comfy recommending it.

I will include my favor
Stacy
Nov 07, 2012 Stacy rated it it was ok
This was my first and most probably my last Og Mandino book. It was sweet, preachy, and a little dated. I think the sentiment was good and did enjoy Chapter 9, The God Memorandum. The problem was the eight chapters leading up to it were not my cup of tea. The story was that Og met God in the flesh and God gave him a memo to print for the world.

The four laws of happiness and success according to God? 1. Count your blessings. 2. Proclaim your rarity. 3. Go another mile. 4. Use wisely your power of
Ben
Jan 09, 2013 Ben rated it it was ok
Shelves: faith, christianity
A story by the author who meets a mysterious stranger. The strange helps the author overcome some problems then is gone as if he were never there in the first place. the stranger is Simon Potter. Is he really God? He gives the author four steps to be happy and over come a lose of self esteem. The book seemed dated and out of touch with today's ideas. I really did not gain much in the reading other than learning what the book was about. It is not just a self help book, but a religious self help b ...more
Brian Kaplan
The G-d Memorandum in this book changed my life. It gave me the ability to find my G-D and to bring Him back into my life and to stay clean and sober...I am writing this on my 19th year of Sobriety and if it were not for this book and my sponsor...I would not be here today! The Grace of G-d does wondrous things. If you struggle with a conception of G-D this book will help you find your way.
I grew up in the neighborhood in Chicago that this takes place in...so the story is very real to me!
Ellie
Jul 17, 2007 Ellie rated it it was ok
This book was referred to me by a good friend. Its only 150 pages; I read it within 3 hours. He claims it the best book ever, but I will have to disagree.

However, if you are a Christian and believe in Him, you will love this book. I appreciated it for what it was, but I don't buy into it, so it was more of a preaching book to me, and that wasn't something I was looking forward to reading.

Its good, don't get me wrong, but make sure you're in the mindset for an "inspirational" story!
Brandon Giella
Someone at work gave this to me to read. Mandino is a very talented writer, very talented. If he had left the God bits out of it I would have given it a higher rating. As it is, it is not at all on the foundation of a Christian worldview (despite its claims), and it can lead to very poor thinking about the nature of man and God. In short, good writing, poor theology.
Monk
Dec 10, 2009 Monk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite self help/inspirational book (outside of scripture). I've used the God Memorandum countless times in working with youth and have found it to be a powerful means of improving a person's self-image. I've gone back to it often in times of discouragment or depression. I have owned countless copies of this little book, as I keep giving away the one on my bookcase.
Rowena
Jun 16, 2010 Rowena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember liking this book the first time I read it. I changed my mind after I re-read it in 2005. I mean, the book is full of inspiring messages but the way Simon kept praising Og Mandino over and over was very annoying.
Mary Augustyn
Og Mandino has a way with words. Book is easy to read and it's one to read over and over again! How many times have I read it? A few times over the years...
Jessica Anderson
This book immediately catches your attention and doesn't let it go until you finish. It is a beautifully written symbolic narrative. I read in two days.
Summer
Feb 11, 2008 Summer rated it it was ok
A little too calculated for me. There is a nice dialogue at the end from "God" that is interesting to think about but overall the story is a little too movtivational speaker.
Sudarshan Nataraj
Jan 27, 2013 Sudarshan Nataraj rated it it was ok
Another self-help book with just one chapter on actual self help(Thank God!!). Disappointment in many ways as there is nothing much to "read".
Jim George
Just okay, some inspiration, just no where as powerful as some other of Og's books.
Carter Nelsen
Jan 22, 2017 Carter Nelsen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book one star because I thought it was boring. I only read it because Mr. Loving told me to a while ago, so my expectations weren't high. It was still a boring book. It did not have a very exciting plot at all, making it excruciatingly painful to read. The book moves at a very slow pace with not any exciting parts in the book. The book does have a mystery at the end that leaves you wondering what happened. However, it is disappointing to me as I don't enjoy that type of ending. That ...more
Alex Puthoff
Feb 01, 2017 Alex Puthoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written book on the treasures each person has been given. Makes one realize that all he needs to succeed in life is to use his gifts of sight, hearing, thought, etc. to act and change the world for the better. Then, once he conquers his goals, he should move on to sharing his experiences and wisdom with those around him by simply being around others and perhaps even writing about his life.
Ani Anderson
Jan 11, 2017 Ani Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's no words to explain how lovely and kind this story is. This story is full of wisdom and a great quotes... you will always remember it. My mother used to tell me the story as a little girl and I read it every few years. I will be sharing it with my kids one day...
Alejandra
Nov 20, 2016 Alejandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiring
When a book change your life...

Poonam Kaur
Nov 09, 2016 Poonam Kaur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book for self help. Short book for the ones who love reading while travelling. The book opens our mind towards positivism!
Bernard
Jan 28, 2017 Bernard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in fact not completely my style. but 3 Stars was not enough :)
Virginia
Book Review of The Greatest Miracle in The World
By: Virginia Williams
The book The Greatest Miracle in the World, written by Og Mandino is based on his point of view. He tells a story about how he met a wonderful man named Simon in the parking lot one day on his way to work, and his life was forever changed. He would come to Simon’s small apartment home, where Simon would talk to him and encourage him to make a difference in the world. Simon spoke many words of wisdom about never losing hope and
Amazing book! A must read! 1 8 Mar 12, 2012 02:07AM
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • Enthusiasm Makes the Difference
  • I Dare You!
  • Household Gold (How to Convert Household Expenses into Household Income)
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • How to Think Like a Millionaire
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
19753
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more
More about Og Mandino...

“Most humans, in varying degrees, are already dead. In one way or another they have lost their dreams, their ambitions, their desire for a better life. They have surrendered their fight for self-esteem and they have compromised their great potential. They have settled for a life of mediocrity, days of despair and nights of tears. They are no more than living deaths confined to cemeteries of their choice. Yet they need not remain in that state. They can be resurrected from their sorry condition. They can each perform the greatest miracle in the world. They can each come back from the dead...” 75 likes
“An Excerpt from “The Greatest Miracle in the World” -

"Consider a painting by Rembrandt or a bronze by Degas or a violin by Stradivarius or a play by Shakespeare.  They have great value for two reasons:  their creators were masters and they are few in number.  Yet there are more than one of each of these.

On that reasoning you are the most valuable treasure on the face of the earth, for you know who created you and there is only one of you.

Never, in all of the seventy billion humans who have walked this planet since the beginning of time has there been anyone exactly like you.

Never, until the end of time, will there be another such as you.

You have shown no knowledge or appreciation of your uniqueness.

Yet, you are the rarest thing in the world.”
50 likes