Start by marking “The Twelfth Angel” as Want to Read:
The Twelfth Angel

The Twelfth Angel

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,326 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
"A very special story about life and love and courage."
MERLIN OLSEN, SPORTSCASTER
John Harding had a high-powered career, a loving wife, and a beautiful son. He's lost it all and has returned to his home town of Boland, New Hampshire, teetering on the brink of suicide. But an old friend asks John to manage his old Little League team, the Angels. Reluctantly, he agrees, and
Published August 27th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published April 13th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelfth Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelfth Angel

Derek Wilker
Mar 12, 2015 Derek Wilker rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I rated The Twelfth Angel four stars. It started with how John's wife and son died in a car crash and he was thinking about suicide. His old friend, Bill West, had came to talk to him. Bill convinced him to be the manager for the little league team that they used to both play on, the Angels. He met a boy who gave John his life back. He taught John to never give up. The book kept you hooked and made you want to read the next chapter. The book started with a tragedy and how he d ...more
Mary Lou
Jan 28, 2016 Mary Lou rated it it was amazing
It grips you from the very beginning. A story of courage and pain. Never - never- never give up.

Quotes:
You can see further through tears than with a telescope

Qualities of good leadership: Compassion understanding setting a good example cooperation, teamwork, reaching forward, mutual goals, encouragement, praise and always striving to improve

I've never seen anyone or anything beat you, Ive never seen you give up just be yourself, you can handle this problem

Day by Day in every way, I'm getting bet
Domenic
Apr 04, 2013 Domenic rated it it was amazing
I can’t help my tears from falling down into my cheeks. This book of courage and optimism keeps every reader to stand in every challenge that may come towards the way. This very special book is highly recommended to everyone who lacks motivation in life. This book inculcated in my heart these 8 words that I should keep saying to myself everyday. “Never… never… never… never… never… never give up.”, as what Tim always says.
Jessica Lu
Apr 13, 2013 Jessica Lu rated it it was ok
A fine story touches my heart.

It is written in a simple non-decorative style, so it is easy to finish within a few hours.

The image of this strong-minded and always smiling boy stays clearly in my mind shouting "never give up! and "I am better at every level everyday!" There is so much we can learn from him, a truly beautiful soul!
Monica
Feb 24, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preparate con una caja de pañuelos a un lado tuyo, es un relato conmovedor de como valorar tu vida en toda adversidad que se te presente; me agradó este libro te lo avientas super rápido, fácil lectura y con un mensaje para llevarlo todos los días.
Recomendable.
ryanjay Florentino
Mar 02, 2009 ryanjay Florentino rated it it was amazing
It is one of he best book I ever read. I love the way Og Mandino encoraged me to live my daily life to its fullest. "Everyday I bacame better and better." No matter how huge the tossing storm of life is I will "never, never,never, never, never give up."
Clayton Tune
Dec 30, 2009 Clayton Tune rated it liked it
Touching story. One of his more recent. Unlike his others, this one focuses completely on the tale and not ways to better yourself. If you're in the mood for something light, moving and inspirational, this is always a nice choice.
Anita
Jan 17, 2015 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One man, stricken with grief and seeking to end it all, is given a ray of hope when he is asked to coach a Little League Baseball team. His angel is not of the caliber of that from 'Angels in the Outfield', but in the form of an 11-year-old boy. Being completely unfamiliar with the game of baseball, I missed out on the action in the play-by-play recount of some of the games.

The essence of the story is in Albert Schweitzer's quote: "At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark fro
Patty
Oct 21, 2011 Patty rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this book and I was determined to finish it. Now I have.
Jacqueline
Sep 19, 2008 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Great book for boys. Fun to read as a family. Great lessons on life.
Joy
Sep 10, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Timothy didn't have to..shouldn't have..aaaack.
Sophie Muller
May 05, 2013 Sophie Muller rated it it was amazing
7-word summary:
Death - baseball - training - problems - "Never give up!"

Discussion question: When faced with a problem, how do you react?
My answer: First I try to see if the problem is really a problem: sometimes, it's a situation I'm just not familiar with. If it's really a problem, I take a deep breath, take all the steps to solve it while remembering my sister's wise words: "This too shall pass!"

Comments:
I was deeply moved by this book for the tragic, fun and simple moments it depicts. Best o
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Book @ 1993, 4/00. While knitting Julie's afghan. When John Harding's wife and son are killed in a car accident, he loses his will to go on, but encouraged by a friend to coach a little league team, he finds a source of inspiration in a slow running, poor batting, mediocre fielding Timothy Nobel who will NEVER GIVE UP!! Very good.
Annika Spencer
Jan 14, 2015 Annika Spencer rated it really liked it
This book was excellent from the beginning. I think we all can in some way relate to John Harding. I have learned a truly invaluable lesson from little Timothy that no matter what it is important to stay positive and Never Give Up, because "Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better!"
La Sewell
Jan 21, 2016 La Sewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful and very touching!

Having heard this story on cassette many years ago and loving it, I finally purchased the Kindle version, would love Audible to release the audio version. Uplifting, touching, well invested time spent reading it. Highly recommend!
Charlie Lunter
Oct 05, 2014 Charlie Lunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó mucho el libro, pero algo que se me hizo muy tedioso fue la descripción de los partidos de "Los Angeles".... Sinceramente yo creo que es un muy buen libro de motivación y aunque es muy cortito, si me tardé mi tiempo pero algo que tendré muy en mente será...

"¡Nunca... nunca... nunca... nunca... nunca... nunca... Te des por vencido!"
Adriana
Sep 09, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing
No puedo ponerle menos de cinco estrellas. 'El Ángel #12' fue el primer libro que leí, y me marcó por siempre. Sólo ver su portada me hace sentir nostálgica.
Kieran
Sep 20, 2014 Kieran rated it it was amazing
One of those books that I have read repeatedly and will always return to like an old friend.
Mike Doyle
Mar 03, 2014 Mike Doyle rated it it was amazing
Great read. Shows just how the human spirit can prevail.
Denisse
Aug 22, 2013 Denisse rated it it was amazing
Let's face it. Og Mandino's books are short but is very inspiring.
This is a very expensive book for a kid like me back then.
I remember saving my allowance lol.
This is a story of a man who plans to commit suicide but was changed when his life was touched by the hands of his twelfth angel. The twelfth angel is very sick but he still wants to play baseball.
It is a beautiful read and it will prove to you that children are gift from God. And though they are small,fragile, and innocent, they have th
ANNETTE
Apr 07, 2016 ANNETTE rated it it was amazing
Very good book, loved the boy's attitude and his kind heart.
George Pateridis
Jul 01, 2014 George Pateridis rated it it was amazing
No matter what - Never never give up!
Jamie
Apr 06, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite reads!
Stacey Lynne
Mar 11, 2016 Stacey Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving story of strength and love!
Bevhuckabagmail.com
Aug 27, 2009 Bevhuckabagmail.com rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. I have read it several times and bought it as gifts for several of my friends. Recommend it highly!

Merged review:

Wonderful story about a man whose wife and son were killed in an accident and a friend who convinced him to coach a Little League Baseball team, where a little boy stole his heart and made him want to live again. I recommend this highly. I have given this book as a gift to many people
Albert
Jan 22, 2009 Albert rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read. Actually, it reminds me of not losing hope even in the moment of near dying. Timothy Noble inspired not just John Harding, his couch, but also me as a reader. I appreciated the simplicity of the story, easy to recall characters and not complicated plot. It was indeed an enjoyable read, an entertaining and inspiring book to ponder.
Valentin Rozman
Jan 07, 2014 Valentin Rozman rated it liked it
It is nice to know about baseball, but sad to know that western medicine is in self-deception about the real cause of tumors and thus doing nothing to remediate the situation.
Natalia Jimena
Dec 31, 2013 Natalia Jimena rated it really liked it
Un libro corto, pero que te llena de alegría...el rumbo de la historia es hermoso, lo malo es que hablan mucho de baseball y pues si no conoces del tema se te dificulta; sin embargo, haciendo de lado eso es super recomendable!
Daniel Montoya
Feb 02, 2011 Daniel Montoya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Te lo avientas en 2 patadas, creo que la mejor forma de describirlo es:

Una GRAN historia en pocas páginas. Conmovedora a más no poder, no es el típico "¿quién se ha robado mi queso?" o cosas por el estilo.

Una narrativa genial que nos lleva a cambiar la forma de ver las cosas. De mis recomendaciones MÁS fuertes.
Finley Neal I
Jul 27, 2009 Finley Neal I rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The copy I read is the original 1993 release. This is a heartwarming story of belief and courage. It had me both in tears and laughter! It's lesson, when life take a future altering turn "Never give up"! I believe anyone reading this book will close it having learned a life lesson. It's a quick & easy read I highly recommend!
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • Success Is Never Ending, Failure Is Never Final
  • Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement
  • Ziglar on Selling
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • The Janitor: How an Unexpected Friendship Transformed a CEO and His Company
  • Positive Imaging: The Powerful Way to Change Your Life
  • Live the Dream: No More Excuses
  • Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference
19753
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more
More about Og Mandino...