The Twelfth Angel

The Twelfth Angel

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,061 ratings  ·  93 reviews
"A very special story about life and love and courage."
MERLIN OLSEN, SPORTSCASTER
John Harding had a high-powered career, a loving wife, and a beautiful son. He's lost it all and has returned to his home town of Boland, New Hampshire, teetering on the brink of suicide. But an old friend asks John to manage his old Little League team, the Angels. Reluctantly, he agrees, and...more
Published August 27th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published April 13th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelfth Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelfth Angel

Mary Lou
It grips you from the very beginning. A story of courage and pain. Never - never- never give up.

Quotes:
You can see further through tears than with a telescope

Qualities of good leadership: Compassion understanding setting a good example cooperation, teamwork, reaching forward, mutual goals, encouragement, praise and always striving to improve

I've never seen anyone or anything beat you, Ive never seen you give up just be yourself, you can handle this problem

Day by Day in every way, I'm getting bet...more
Domenic
I can’t help my tears from falling down into my cheeks. This book of courage and optimism keeps every reader to stand in every challenge that may come towards the way. This very special book is highly recommended to everyone who lacks motivation in life. This book inculcated in my heart these 8 words that I should keep saying to myself everyday. “Never… never… never… never… never… never give up.”, as what Tim always says.
Jessica Lu
A fine story touches my heart.

It is written in a simple non-decorative style, so it is easy to finish within a few hours.

The image of this strong-minded and always smiling boy stays clearly in my mind shouting "never give up! and "I am better at every level everyday!" There is so much we can learn from him, a truly beautiful soul!
Monica
Preparate con una caja de pañuelos a un lado tuyo, es un relato conmovedor de como valorar tu vida en toda adversidad que se te presente; me agradó este libro te lo avientas super rápido, fácil lectura y con un mensaje para llevarlo todos los días.
Recomendable.
ryanjay Florentino
It is one of he best book I ever read. I love the way Og Mandino encoraged me to live my daily life to its fullest. "Everyday I bacame better and better." No matter how huge the tossing storm of life is I will "never, never,never, never, never give up."
Clayton Tune
Touching story. One of his more recent. Unlike his others, this one focuses completely on the tale and not ways to better yourself. If you're in the mood for something light, moving and inspirational, this is always a nice choice.
Jacqueline
Great book for boys. Fun to read as a family. Great lessons on life.
Joy
Timothy didn't have to..shouldn't have..aaaack.
Sophie Muller
7-word summary:
Death - baseball - training - problems - "Never give up!"

Discussion question: When faced with a problem, how do you react?
My answer: First I try to see if the problem is really a problem: sometimes, it's a situation I'm just not familiar with. If it's really a problem, I take a deep breath, take all the steps to solve it while remembering my sister's wise words: "This too shall pass!"

Comments:
I was deeply moved by this book for the tragic, fun and simple moments it depicts. Best o...more
Mike Doyle
Great read. Shows just how the human spirit can prevail.
Denisse
Let's face it. Og Mandino's books are short but is very inspiring.
This is a very expensive book for a kid like me back then.
I remember saving my allowance lol.
This is a story of a man who plans to commit suicide but was changed when his life was touched by the hands of his twelfth angel. The twelfth angel is very sick but he still wants to play baseball.
It is a beautiful read and it will prove to you that children are gift from God. And though they are small,fragile, and innocent, they have th...more
George Pateridis
No matter what - Never never give up!
Jamie
One of my all time favorite reads!
Bevhuckabagmail.com
This is an excellent book. I have read it several times and bought it as gifts for several of my friends. Recommend it highly!

Merged review:

Wonderful story about a man whose wife and son were killed in an accident and a friend who convinced him to coach a Little League Baseball team, where a little boy stole his heart and made him want to live again. I recommend this highly. I have given this book as a gift to many people
Albert
One of the best books I've read. Actually, it reminds me of not losing hope even in the moment of near dying. Timothy Noble inspired not just John Harding, his couch, but also me as a reader. I appreciated the simplicity of the story, easy to recall characters and not complicated plot. It was indeed an enjoyable read, an entertaining and inspiring book to ponder.
Valentin Rozman
It is nice to know about baseball, but sad to know that western medicine is in self-deception about the real cause of tumors and thus doing nothing to remediate the situation.
Natalia Jimena
Un libro corto, pero que te llena de alegría...el rumbo de la historia es hermoso, lo malo es que hablan mucho de baseball y pues si no conoces del tema se te dificulta; sin embargo, haciendo de lado eso es super recomendable!
Daniel Montoya
Te lo avientas en 2 patadas, creo que la mejor forma de describirlo es:

Una GRAN historia en pocas páginas. Conmovedora a más no poder, no es el típico "¿quién se ha robado mi queso?" o cosas por el estilo.

Una narrativa genial que nos lleva a cambiar la forma de ver las cosas. De mis recomendaciones MÁS fuertes.
Finley Neal
The copy I read is the original 1993 release. This is a heartwarming story of belief and courage. It had me both in tears and laughter! It's lesson, when life take a future altering turn "Never give up"! I believe anyone reading this book will close it having learned a life lesson. It's a quick & easy read I highly recommend!
Hugh Woodson
Never Never never Never Never Never Never Never Never Give up!!!!

That my favorite quote! Love the book. It all about tryng, courage and never stop doing from the start to finish!

very recommendable for you to read even if you not a fan of baseball
nod
This is an excellent book to read especially for people who is on the edge of giving up. Each sentence in the book is beautifully written. I will never ever forget this book of Og Mandino because it taught me that day by day in my every own special way I'm getting better and better and better...
Ruth
Og Mandino writes in an unfailingly idealistic style. This lovely story shows you a sweet world with enough sadness to pull on your heart strings. Even if you can see the plot's direction before the author reveals it, it's comforting and tender all the same. A definite feel-good read.
Mark
This book is unlike so many instantly forgetable others. I have benefitted from Timmy's "Every day, in every way, I an getting better and better," and "Never, never, never, never, never, never , give up," They saw me through recovery from a devastating stroke.
Brynne Betz
I hadnt ever read Og Mandino before and enjoyed his simple, kind, beautiful style. I can tell he is truly a gem of a person and while I really cant stand baseball, I had a delightful time reading about it thru Og's eyes! Touching story.
Charissa
nice moral novel. Man's wife and son die; he is mourning and thinking of suicide. Then life changed when he is asked to coach little league team. One small boy touches his heart and teaches him to care about life again.
Keddy Moise
It's the kind of book that throw some light in your days when all seems dark. The way this little angel inspires his teammates and his coach is really powerful. Not with mere words but with his life.
Dee
This was my first Mandino (I picked up some others as well) and I cried like a baby through the whole thing. I would have given it 5 stars except I had a headache from all the crying at the end.
Tj
I love stories like this, very uplifting and feel-good, formulaic though it may be.
Timothy and I share the same first name and birthday (March 12) so that gave me goosebumps in the end.
Suzanne
This book was a sweet shorty story. I think it would be a nice choice for young readers as it leaves the reader with an appreciation for life and living, no matter the challenges.
Nori Mea
"this book of og mandino had a vast effect into my life. It really had a meaningful examples and lessons to be learned that made me think more positively against life's ups and downs... "
  • I Dare You!
  • Nazaret (Caballo de Troya #4)
  • Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do!
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Volar Sobre el Pantano Superando Adversidad
  • The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness
  • The Magic of Believing
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Hunting Humans: The Rise of the Modern Multiple Murderer
  • Over the Top
  • Maigret Stonewalled
  • How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends: Revised and Updated
  • An Unplanned Life (Unplanned, #2)
  • Skill With People
  • 10 años con Mafalda
  • Don't Check Your Brains At The Door
19753
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame....more
More about Og Mandino...
The Greatest Salesman In The World The Choice The Greatest Salesman in the World II The Greatest Secret in the World The Greatest Miracle in the World