Start by marking “A Better Way to Live” as Want to Read:
A Better Way to Live

A Better Way to Live

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  798 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The author recounts his descent into despair and his discovery of spiritual nourishment in the works of Aristotle, Emerson, Ben Franklin, and Plato, and enumerates the seventeen rules that helped transform his life.
Published December 1st 1990 by Bantam (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Better Way to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Better Way to Live

Tell Me Your Dreams by Sidney SheldonRed Kayak by Priscilla CummingsBlack Rose by Nora RobertsThe Opal Deception by Eoin ColferSecrets in the Fire by Henning Mankell
exotic and unforgettable
6th out of 11 books — 5 voters
Equating the Equations of Insanity by Durgesh SatpathyThe Four Agreements by Miguel RuizWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveThe Truth of All that Is by Amelia BertThe Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Favorite Self-Help and Healing Books
107th out of 231 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Wes
Jul 13, 2008 Wes rated it it was amazing
Self-awareness book by a classic author of self-help books. Not only reminds me about solid principles of life, but makes me aware of how much I take for granted the great things in my life. Og is the epitome of positive thinking!
Madara
Mar 04, 2012 Madara rated it really liked it
Daudzi no mums ir domājuši par to, kāds ir laimes noslēpums un kur to meklēt; kā padarīt savu dzīvi veiksmīgāku un kā dzīvot labāk? Uz šo jautājumu atbildes ir sniedzis pasaulē visvairāk lasītais autors Ogs Mandino savā grāmatā „Kā dzīvot labāk”. Šis autors spēj ietekmēt un pārvērst daudzu cilvēku dzīves atsaucoties uz daudzu populāru cilvēku izteikumiem un atklājot savu dzīves pieredzi.
Ogs Mandino ir 1923.gadā dzimis amerikāņu autors, kurš ir strādājis papīra rūpnīcā, vēlāk ASV armijas gaisa s
Tim
May 03, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
An excellent book! The first book I've ever read in one sitting. I especially liked the 17 rules. I liked them so much that I think I may have them enlarged and either put in my house or my classroom.
Helmut Knobl
Apr 11, 2012 Helmut Knobl rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
In my opinion this is an excellent book to help the reader truly find a better way to live. There are no secrets to the rules, they just work when they are applied. The secret, if there is one, is to apply the rules. Most people probably just read them without applying them. For the last 13 years I have applied rule no 2. Today, and everyday, deliver more than you are getting paid to do.

I have had great success in applying this rule.
D
Jun 26, 2014 D rated it liked it
This is an old (circa 1990) Og Mandino Positive Mental Attitude book. It is a quick read with with Mandino's life story and 17 rules to live by, like - "be grateful," "laugh at yourself" and "Realize that true happiness lies within you." Nothing new here, but a tried and true philosophy of how to live a good life and be happy, and that is always good to keep in mind.
Roxanne
Aug 07, 2007 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Bought this book in 1995 and have read it more than 10 times already. A good read specially during low times in life. It reminds the reader that happiness and success (and vise versa) is a choice. Just like the "Being Happy!" book.

Good Thoughts produce Good Things!
Dani Miller
Feb 25, 2012 Dani Miller rated it really liked it
This is my ultimate favorite book by Og Mandino. I very good way to remind us of our blessings. I have read it several times.
Scott
Jun 15, 2012 Scott added it
A very good book. An inspiration to live our life's with a humble approach to the many blessigs we have!
Amanda Star
Aug 03, 2011 Amanda Star rated it really liked it
Some of this being common sense, the rest is stuff we need to be reminded of daily.
Elizabeth Mendoza
Easy to read. I loved the way Mr. Mandino included his own life experiences in the book.
Kevin Hammond
Apr 25, 2012 Kevin Hammond rated it really liked it
A look into the life of Og Mandino himself. Great wisdom and insight.
Mel
Jul 25, 2008 Mel rated it it was ok
Seventeen rules to live by for a better life.
Jary Welker
Mar 26, 2013 Jary Welker rated it it was amazing
Another great Og Mandino book.
Georgia
Awesome and easy to read
MJ
Oct 28, 2015 MJ rated it it was amazing
There are many positive thinkers in our world today, but those with the ability of putting it into words for the rest of us are few.

The first rule in his book is about creating a better way to live.

"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward, toward the life that God intended for you ... with grace, strength, courage, and confide
Adriana
Los libros de autoayuda son mal vistos en México por su precaria profundidad literaria y ser más melodrama que otra cosa. Og Mandino es diferente, su libro es su experiencia y ahí precisamente se distingue de los demás. "Acción palabra mágica" porque la magia de su vida aconteció en el momento que puso en marcha las sugerencias espirituales que a él le funcionaron. Sin embargo, es una narración muy sencilla, plana, facilona, definitivamente no es ningún reto de análisis literario.
Jose
Great short rules to live by

These rules are true to humanity, but it's like because of the everyday struggle people forget. Og does an excellent job in making you feel in conversation with him and reminding you concisely the rules that will help you achieve more, be happier and get along with you fellow human.
Tamara Harutyunyan
Поймите, что истинное счастье
заключено в вас самих. Не тратьте
времени и усилий в поисках довольства,
радости и душевного спокойствия в
окружающем мире. Помните,
счастлив не тот, кто , получает, но
лишь тот, кто дает. Протягивайте
руку помощи. Делитесь. Улыбайтесь.
Обнимайтесь. Счастье — это
бальзам, который вы не можете
преподнести другим, не пролив
несколько капель на самого себя.
Andrea
Apr 07, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it
This was a good book to read to remember how we need to prioritize things in our life. A quick read with good information.
John
Oct 16, 2015 John rated it really liked it
A better book to read.
A better way to spend a little time.

Prove me wrong.
Carlotta68
Nov 02, 2013 Carlotta68 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro da tenere sempre a portata di mano, un manuale di vita. Da leggere, rileggere, farlo proprio per poi passare dalla teoria alla pratica.....e sarebbe un mondo migliore per tutti...
Muralikrishna
May 03, 2013 Muralikrishna is currently reading it
This is a must read book. Og Mandino has outlined 17 Golden Rules to live by. I am sure that if one strictly follows these rules, he/she can lead a successful and rewarding life.
LeMira
Dec 14, 2015 LeMira rated it really liked it
Very simple to read and very quick read, but to get the full effect, take it one day at a time as suggested in the book. I've loved it and will come back to it again.
Gregory
Sep 02, 2008 Gregory rated it really liked it
Thi book was excellent. It was more of a re-affirmation than anything. But i'm a strong believer in re-introducing myself to meaning ful principles over and over again.
Lisa Elster
Mar 15, 2013 Lisa Elster rated it really liked it
I didn't love the first chapter even though I understood why he wrote it that way. After that I loved it and felt it was really inspirational! I am an Og Mandino fan!
Danni
Jan 11, 2012 Danni rated it it was amazing
this is my book group book for February. I loved it. So many interesting ideas to make life better. I hope to try some. It is going to make for a good discussion.
Anthony Mast
Dec 02, 2014 Anthony Mast rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Another great book from Og Mandino. More great information about being intentional with your life and living to your fullest God-given potential.
Peter
May 13, 2010 Peter rated it it was ok
wholesomely written self-help fare -- but reading this i felt myself edging towards the precipice of addiction to self-help books...
Jen Gile
Dec 22, 2013 Jen Gile rated it it was amazing
Love this book. All common sense but puts life, marriage, and more in perspective! Easy read and I highly recommend!
Orion
Apr 09, 2008 Orion rated it it was amazing
As good if not better than The Greatest Salesman in the World. Really makes you appreciate your life.
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • If It's Going to Be, It's up to Me: The Eight Proven Principles of Possibility Thinking
  • Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
  • Household Gold (How to Convert Household Expenses into Household Income)
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • Enthusiasm Makes the Difference
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Your Personality Tree
  • The Generosity Factor
  • The Tongue - A Creative Force
  • How to Think Like a Millionaire
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband
  • How to Be Rich
19753
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more
More about Og Mandino...