Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  16 reviews
While most martial arts deal only with the initial punching and kicking stages of combat, Brazilian jiu-jitsu concentrates on ground combat. This guide shows how to use Brazilian jiu-jitsu to increase combat effectiveness. Photographs and step-by-step instructions show how to master the techniques used in this exciting new form of combat.
Published October 1st 2001 by Invisible Cities Press Llc

Craig Cunningham
In addition to all the work I do in higher education, I also love and practice Jui Jitsu. I have been a student of Gracie Jiu Jitsu for many years. I bought this book back in 2002, early when it first came out. I love it, and still read it. In fact, the other night, I was reading it again. I have brought it with me in training sessions with many of the Gracies, including Royler Gracie, Rorion Gracie, and the Late Great Grandmaster Helio Gracie. All of them have also signed my copy of this book....more
Joshua
This book is a great way to improve on your technique when you're not learning in class. I consider it the Cliff Notes of Brazilian JJ. The pictures are detailed and clear and the written instruction is easy to understand. However, just like Cliff Notes, you're not going to become a Jiu-Jitsu master by just studying the book. The real technique comes from hands-on lessons. The book also contains the history of BJJ that is garnished with many pictures. I would recommend this guide to anyone takin...more
Richard Ty
It's a good book if you just started jiu jitsu or are a beginner. This was my first book i bought about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu years before i started training. I bought this one just out of curiousity. It did help me out a bit getting my blue belt, because it's so easy to understand.
Kurt
Jul 29, 2008 Kurt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chris Greci
When I first started in Jiu Jitsu, I was helpless. I was at the mercy of men much smaller than I am. Then...I got this book. The concepts that are conveyed and the techniques that are displayed will prepare you for the most experienced grapplers' tricks. However, you must practice Randori if you want the real "feel" of BJJ. This book is a great start though!
Shane
As with all martial arts books it's great when used in conjunction with actual training. It's good for getting a sense of things when starting out and for a mental refresher when you are returning to training after a long break.
Rustam
Typical martial arts instruction book, but very high quality. Also, goes into some depth about the history and theory of Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. I'll be studying this book for a while.
Chris Brown
This is the book that got me training.
Joseph
Renzo and Royler teach the basics of BJJ. Full of great technique and very detailed.
Zack Haddon
Jan 25, 2008 Zack Haddon is currently reading it
Great reference for learning/teaching the art of Brazilian/Gracie JiuJitsu.
Jerome Lim
A great book for beginners who want to improve their ground work!
Nathan Eckman
I can now break any part of your body that bends. Bring it.
Matthew
YEAH! My first BJJ book. Good reference text for basic techniques.
Dominic
Good for beginners and more advanced students alike.
Marco Tyrtl
A must have for Jiu JITSU practitioners
Jim Anan
Great instructional book
Zach Usi
Zach Usi is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Maximilian Hughes
Maximilian Hughes marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Michael Flynn
Michael Flynn marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Arian Evans
Arian Evans marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014