Start by marking “Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man” as Want to Read:
Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man

Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man (The Messiah Series #6)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Second Coming-is there any serious Christian who has not pondered the significance and consequences of that long-awaited, glorious event? Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Council of the twelve, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, expounds on this topic in all its magnificence and in his usual flowing style. The crowning work of his trilogy on the life of Chr ...more
Published June 1st 1982 by Deseret Book Company (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Millennial Messiah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Millennial Messiah

Ryan Hatch
Feb 06, 2015 Ryan Hatch rated it really liked it
7.5/10
I feel like the difficulty of this a bit over exaggerated. I'm as dumb as the next guy, but this really wasn't to hard to get through. I think what throws some people off is that McConkie is super thorough, even when it comes to ideas and doctrine that a lot of us have grown up learning. I did enjoy that amidst the common knowledge he just throws in a little nugget of deep doctrine every once and a while, to make sure you're paying attention. Of course, a few chapters were just gripping, m
Denise
Feb 01, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This book helped me tie the prophecies of the scriptures together in a pattern of events that I could see and understand. I read this book on Sundays and so this is the culmination of reading that I started in September of 2007.
Michele
Aug 22, 2011 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
This finishes the series for me. I made a goal to finish them all and it has taken years, do you hear me? Years! But, I did it, and am very glad.
Erin
Dec 31, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
I final book in a series that has taken me a while to read. I was very much intrigued with the knowledge and depth the author goes into the research of his books. A bit repetitive. Everything could have been said in less pages, but repetition is good at times. For this reason it is a 3 star rather than a 4 star. I love the insight the author brings to the scriptures. The scriptures seem so easy to understand when he explains things. I loved my time reading this book. It is a little difficult to ...more
Kenneth Burr
Feb 24, 2014 Kenneth Burr rated it it was ok
to wordy.
Clint
Jan 02, 2013 Clint rated it liked it
Great as a reference book for Mormons, but tough to read all the way through. This book was written to provide a more current treatment of the Articles of Faith of the Mormon Church than that by James E. Talmage in Jesus the Christ.
Libby
Nov 07, 2011 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: churchy
Okay, so I didn't read this whole book. It's more of a reference type book, and I basically just checked it out so I could read one chapter. I loved the chapter that I read, and even made myself a copy of the whole chapter to have on hand as a reference. I did skim some other topics, but to read this whole book cover to cover would take me years. ;)
David
Jul 18, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Though McConkie's style is hard for some to palate due to his confidence and authoritarian voice, one cannot argue that the doctrines he supports through scripture are both well-placed, insightful, and significant. Those wishing to understand the Second Coming would do well to read this book. Straightforward, easy reading.
Julenew
May 11, 2011 Julenew is currently reading it
I've been planning to read this series of books, like, FOREVER! But, the more the daily paper begins to read like the wind-up chapters of the Book of Mormon, the more I feel a need to separate fact from myth regarding the Last Days. It's time to sit down and do some *serious* study. . . .
Shon
Apr 26, 2013 Shon rated it liked it
This is a well-informed trek through the scriptures about the Millennium. He includes some conjecture about what certain passages mean - but they are all clearly mentioned as such. There are lots of repeated descriptions, so I felt like I was rereading entire paragraphs from page to page.
EJ Johnson
Sep 17, 2008 EJ Johnson rated it liked it
This is not an easy book to read but well worth reading. McConkie's writing style takes some getting used to. He was a great biblical scholar and I was intrigued with his ability to but together passages found in various places and sometimes really obscure Bible books.
Ddspoons
Feb 18, 2008 Ddspoons rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
There are 3 in this series, The Promised Messiah, The Mortal Messiah, and The Millennial Messiah.
This is a quite large book that will take me a while to finish. Right now I am reading bits and pieces. It has great info. as the books from Bro. McConkie always do.
Roger
Apr 19, 2012 Roger rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I just learned that the lost ten tribes do not currently exist as a gathered body, but they are being gathered from all over the world into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Bernie
Oct 30, 2010 Bernie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super long, super dense, but I haven't seen a more correct, scripturally-cited treatise on the Millenium anywhere. Quite a few bits of information I hadn't heard before.
Sheralyn
Feb 02, 2013 Sheralyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, clean-adult
Beautifully written and with such strength of Spirit. I gained so much understanding in his writing and enjoyed the joy with which he writes of the days to come.
Connie
May 01, 2009 Connie rated it it was amazing
This book was an incredible book. I learned SO much that I didn't know or hadn't thought of. I want to read it again.
Mom
Jul 13, 2008 Mom rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is probably my 6th time reading this book. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Wish I had some of the author's. :)
Alan
Jan 28, 2014 Alan rated it really liked it
Typical Bruce R McConkie. Very wordy, but good stuff every once and a while.
Ernie Dawson
Aug 23, 2010 Ernie Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Elder McConkie has great insight.
Marilyn Porter
May 01, 2009 Marilyn Porter is currently reading it
I'm about 2/3s of the way through the book.
Cindy
Oct 02, 2007 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, informative, deep as Bruce R McConkie goes.
Glorioso A.
Glorioso A. rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Mdonalds1
Mdonalds1 rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Janna
Janna rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Shad
Shad is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Ramon Brito
Ramon Brito marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • History of the Church (Boxed Set)
  • The World and the Prophets (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 3)
  • The Great Apostasy
  • The Promise of Discipleship
193151
Bruce Redd McConkie was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).

McConkie served in the First Council of the Seventy of the LDS Church from 1946 until his calling to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1972, where he served until his death in 1985.

During his service as a general authority, he published several doctrinal books an
More about Bruce R. McConkie...

The Messiah Series (6 books)
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 1 (Mortal Messiah)
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 2
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 3 (Mortal Messiah)
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 4 (Mortal Messiah)
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ