Start by marking “There's An Awful Lot Of Weirdos In Our Neighbourhood: A Book Of Rather Silly Verse And Pictures” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The exuberant pages of Colin McNaughton's newest anthology are packed with puns, parodies, and playground humor. With such worthy odes as "A Poem to Send Your Worst Enemy" and "Picking Noses", and with McNaughton's equally outrageous illustrations, this rollicking collection promises hours of silly, hilarious, completely disorderly fun.
Published March 29th 1990 by Walker Books Ltd (first published January 1st 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about There's An Awful Lot Of Weirdos In Our Neighbourhood

Alice Woodhead
Oct 28, 2012 Alice Woodhead rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems is great fun for both children and the adults reading to them. The poems vary greatly in length, style and topic but all are equally witty.
The monsters theme makes this book particularly appropriate for around Halloween and the varying length of the poems makes it an easy read to dip in and out of.
The monsters themselves range from dinosaurs to werewolves to disgusting cousins and cover a wide range of settings and themes including friendship, food, and school.
The n
NTE
Dec 06, 2014 NTE rated it really liked it
Read for CBR6

I think the best part about books of poems written for children is that the poets allow themselves to be unabashedly inspirational or absurd. They let themselves go past the limits of ‘ordinary’, into territory that’s considered too sentimental or ridiculous for grown-ups: When it comes to writing for children – particularly writing poems for children – there are no such boundaries. The less ‘normal’ the better, the more sweet or shocking, the more relate-able, it seems. And someon
Amy
Oct 31, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My younger brother and I loved this book as children. It is one of my biggest regrets in life that I got rid of my copy years ago in either a charity bag or carboot sale (although I do hope it brought others the laughs it brought us). I believe it isn't currently in print anymore which is a real shame and I would sign any petition to bring it back.

It is a fantastic way to introduce poetry to young children and many of the verses are hysterically funny. The fact that I can still recite some now s
Betsy
May 13, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In general, poetry isn't "my thing," but this book, that we picked up by chance at a garage sale (which makes it all the more special in my book) has my 5 year old begging to read it over and over, is a gem. The humorous and slightly crass poems have us laughing out loud over and over again. The British twist makes them all the more interesting to us American girls. And the illustrations are nothing to turn your nose up at either.

I think this starred review from Publishers Weekly says it best:
Feb 15, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
this book is meant for the kids at age 7-8
but i really enjoyed it while i was reciting it for kids
they laughed so hard at this one :

Teef Teef I have loshed my Teef
Hash anyone sheen my Teef ? you wont be able to help I shuppose ; but shomebody shtole them from under my nose ! Hash anyone sheen my teef ??
Lynne
Apr 27, 2014 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly funny; for young and old alike.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Colin Ayling
Colin Ayling rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Rowena
Rowena marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Nick
Nick added it
Feb 19, 2016
Cheyanne Belcourt
Cheyanne Belcourt marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Nicola O'Connor
Nicola O'Connor rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Ali
Ali added it
Jan 08, 2016
Jenni Stewart
Jenni Stewart marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Nikki Yoee
Nikki Yoee marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Nick
Nick added it
Aug 21, 2015
Sophie Willan
Sophie Willan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
Jim Riley
Jim Riley marked it as to-read
Tina Mcmillan
Tina Mcmillan rated it it was amazing
Suzi Barbee
Suzi Barbee rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Jun 24, 2015
Aj
Aj rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Thrown With Great Force
Thrown With Great Force rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Wendy P
Wendy P marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Growing up in his native England, the young Colin McNaughton had little indication that he would one day become an author-illustrator. There were no books at all in his parents' home, he recalls, but there were always comics. These were his formative literature, and their slapstick humor has been a lasting influence. "I've been talking about the comic format for years," he says. "It's the modern w ...more
More about Colin McNaughton...