Start by marking “There's An Awful Lot Of Weirdos In Our Neighbourhood: A Book Of Rather Silly Verse And Pictures” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The exuberant pages of Colin McNaughton's newest anthology are packed with puns, parodies, and playground humor. With such worthy odes as "A Poem to Send Your Worst Enemy" and "Picking Noses", and with McNaughton's equally outrageous illustrations, this rollicking collection promises hours of silly, hilarious, completely disorderly fun.
Published March 29th 1990 by Walker Books Ltd (first published January 1st 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about There's An Awful Lot Of Weirdos In Our Neighbourhood

Alice Woodhead
This collection of poems is great fun for both children and the adults reading to them. The poems vary greatly in length, style and topic but all are equally witty.
The monsters theme makes this book particularly appropriate for around Halloween and the varying length of the poems makes it an easy read to dip in and out of.
The monsters themselves range from dinosaurs to werewolves to disgusting cousins and cover a wide range of settings and themes including friendship, food, and school.
The n
NTE
Read for CBR6

I think the best part about books of poems written for children is that the poets allow themselves to be unabashedly inspirational or absurd. They let themselves go past the limits of ‘ordinary’, into territory that’s considered too sentimental or ridiculous for grown-ups: When it comes to writing for children – particularly writing poems for children – there are no such boundaries. The less ‘normal’ the better, the more sweet or shocking, the more relate-able, it seems. And someon
Amy
My younger brother and I loved this book as children. It is one of my biggest regrets in life that I got rid of my copy years ago in either a charity bag or carboot sale (although I do hope it brought others the laughs it brought us). I believe it isn't currently in print anymore which is a real shame and I would sign any petition to bring it back.

It is a fantastic way to introduce poetry to young children and many of the verses are hysterically funny. The fact that I can still recite some now s
Betsy
In general, poetry isn't "my thing," but this book, that we picked up by chance at a garage sale (which makes it all the more special in my book) has my 5 year old begging to read it over and over, is a gem. The humorous and slightly crass poems have us laughing out loud over and over again. The British twist makes them all the more interesting to us American girls. And the illustrations are nothing to turn your nose up at either.

I think this starred review from Publishers Weekly says it best:
this book is meant for the kids at age 7-8
but i really enjoyed it while i was reciting it for kids
they laughed so hard at this one :

Teef Teef I have loshed my Teef
Hash anyone sheen my Teef ? you wont be able to help I shuppose ; but shomebody shtole them from under my nose ! Hash anyone sheen my teef ??
Lynne
Brilliantly funny; for young and old alike.
Wendy P
Wendy P marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Carl Ayling
Carl Ayling marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Oly
Oly marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jul 09, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 04, 2014
Jules abraham De leon
Jules abraham De leon marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Pooja Balaji
Pooja Balaji marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Usha Kumari
Usha Kumari marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Charlotte Rose
Charlotte Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Clare Digby
Clare Digby marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Harry
Harry added it
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Growing up in his native England, the young Colin McNaughton had little indication that he would one day become an author-illustrator. There were no books at all in his parents' home, he recalls, but there were always comics. These were his formative literature, and their slapstick humor has been a lasting influence. "I've been talking about the comic format for years," he says. "It's the modern w ...more
More about Colin McNaughton...
Suddenly! Not Last Night But the Night Before Once Upon an Ordinary School Day We're Off To Look For Aliens The Aliens Are Coming!