Start by marking “Mitch and Amy” as Want to Read:

Mitch and Amy

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,266 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Double Trouble

Then the school bully starts picking on Mitch -- and on Amy, to

Published December 30th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Mitch and Amy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitch and Amy

My favorite chapter is when Mitch finally realizes that reading can be fun. Clearly perfectly captures the everyday wonder of that moment for all of us.
Aimee
Mar 25, 2016 Aimee rated it really liked it
In just under a month, Beverly Cleary will celebrate her 100th birthday, and for well over half a century, her books have delighted readers everywhere with their believable and sympathetic characters and the ordinary situations they face.
Mitchell and Amy Huff are twins just starting fourth grade. Like many pairs of twins, these two have very different personalities. Amy is an enthusiastic Girl Scout who loves reading and is very good at arts and crafts. Mitch is something of a clown who loves al
Kathleen Sanchez
Dec 02, 2016 Kathleen Sanchez rated it it was amazing
This book Mitch and Amy by Beverly Cleary is about two twins (Mitch and Amy) and they are their own enemies. This book reminds me of me and my older brother. we are always fighting, but at then when its over I always end up feeling bad for the way that I acted. But then later we always forget about it and move on. I gave this book a five star because it was just the right reading level and I can relate so it was interesting. In the book they each have their own problems. Mitch has trouble readin ...more
Zaylene Mendoza
Do you think having a twin would be fun? Or an amazing thing?
Well in The fiction book Mitch and Amy you'll get a little taste of how it feels to be twins and be bullied.
I actually enjoyed this book .

Mitch and Amy both think being twins is fun,but don't have the Sam interest, Amy is good at reading. Mitch is a math whiz. Amy likes to play pretend. Mitch would rather skateboard. They never want to watch the same television show. And they always try to get the better of each other. But then the
Melody
Oct 09, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heard
I've always avoided this title because I thought it was one of Cleary's teen romances. I don't like teen romances. But Mitch and Amy are twins, not boyfriend and girlfriend. I fell in love with the competent Bernadette in this book. The way she deals with the bully is a thing of beauty, but so is the aftermath.

One interesting effect of going through all the Cleary books in a row is seeing how certain small anecdotes get recycled (sewing pants for stuffed elephants, for instance, and the "shave a
Fred Ann
Jun 18, 2014 Fred Ann rated it liked it
I decided to preview this book wondering about the suitability or interest appeal it might have for my grandchildren. Both main characters are nine years old, going into grade four. great I have a nine year old grandson going into grade 4 this coming fall. Mitch, one o the main characters builds a skate board check. another 9 year old grandson is taking skate board lessons! the mother of the twins Amy and Mitch is a birdwatcher as am I and I share my interest with my grandchildren. Mitch is conf ...more
Chloe Resendez
May 22, 2016 Chloe Resendez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a pretty good one. I liked how the author put in some humorous and dramatic features in the writing. This story is about these two siblings, Mitch and Amy, who are both very different. Mitch is a boy who spends his time outdoors and loves to ride his skateboard while Amy is a girl who would rather spend her time doing arts and crafts. Throughout some chapters, you will find both siblings fighting and annoying each other. It isn't until one day Mitch finds a bully that is ...more
Alice
May 07, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it
I hate ashamed to say that I didn't read much as a child. I was in the top reading groups, but never read for pleasure outside of school. How on earth my teachers let me get out of Elementary School or even Middle School without exposing me to Beverly Cleary, should get a finger wagging. I read the Motorcycle Mouse Series and I am sure that is only because we had a copy at the house.

So, Mitch and Amy, a GREAT brother sister twin dynamic book. We love our siblings, we want to give our siblings s
Kerith
Jul 17, 2012 Kerith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mitch & Amy have always reminded me of my own brother and myself. We weren't twins, but as close in age as we could be and not be twins. The arguing and teasing, but still the closeness and loyalty was all the same. I read this now and remember that, but see it through the eyes of Mrs. Huff instead. Ms Cleary, having twins herself, was certainly writing what she knew, and this little story of a brother and a sister banding together, with their friends, against the neighborhood bully stands t ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Mitch and Amy both think being twins is fun, but that doesn't stop them from squabbling. Amy is good at reading. Mitch is a math whiz. Amy likes to play pretend. Mitch would rather skateboard. They never want to watch the same television show. And they always try to get the better of each other.

Then the school bully starts picking on Mitch -- and on Amy, too. Now the twins have something rotten in common: Alan Hibbler. This twosome must set aside their squabbles and band together to de
Cathleen
Jun 11, 2009 Cathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
I read this book years (and years) ago. Loved it! Mitch and Amy are twins with typical sibling issues; however, when push comes to shove, they defend each other and genuinely care about each other. Each of the twins has issues to overcome. With Mitch it's a dislike of reading, with Amy it's math. When Mitch gets sick and his mother finds him "sneak reading" a book under the covers, her reaction is priceless. A must read for boys or girls.
Diane Bell
Apr 02, 2012 Diane Bell rated it really liked it
This is a reread, several times over. My eleven year old son wanted me to read something with him, so we pulled out this book. I am enjoying it just as much as he is, but Beverly Cleary is one of my favorite authors. I love how she writes things that are so true to life. I'm a middle aged mom and still enjoy her books, possibly because I can totally relate to both the kids and the parents in her stories.
Emily Mack
Oct 18, 2015 Emily Mack rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

One of my favorites from my childhood! As a triplet, I definitely understand the love/hate relationship intense and unique in multiples. I thought my sisters and I were different until I met Mitch and Amy!! Some of the references are a bit dated just because of when this was written (I'd say the same of Ramona Quimby) but in my opinion that only adds to the charm. Like Ramona, the spunky child characters make this story what it is.
Melissa
Jan 18, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mitch and Amy, by Beverly Cleary, is about the relationship between two twins. Mitch, a sporty math champ, is the exact opposite of his twin sister Amy, a girly girl who loves to read. Later in the book, the twins both have trouble standing up to the school bully Alan Hibbler, and they have to work together to solve this problem. If you enjoy realistic fiction books, you'll love Mitch and Amy.
Carrie
Sep 26, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I wonder if Cleary wrote this as an homage to her own twins. I found it heartwarming without being too cloying. Interesting take on the bully theme and doubly interesting to me because it takes place in the East Bay.

(Side note: I read the 1973 version with illustrations by George Porter, and this is not something I read as a kid--it's a new one for me! I can't believe my hometown public library didn't have this book. Why not?!)
Amy
While this does deal with always familiar themes like siblings and bullies, it is fairly dated. Amy and her twin brother, Mitchell, start school and are excited about the technology in their classroom ( a TV! and a tape recorder!) There are also multiple times that sexist themes, like a girl not being able to do certain things, that left a bad taste in my mouth. Would not recommend easily.
Traci
Apr 09, 2009 Traci rated it it was ok
This book was cute and I generally really enjoy Beverly Cleary. But this one was too wordy for the audience. We did it at home as a read-aloud, just for something fun. And whether my daughter or I were reading it, we found ourselves stumbling over extremely long sentences. Even though I enjoyed the topic and some of the things that happened, it's not my favorite Cleary book.
Bekka
I first read this book as a kid sometime in the 70s, as I was working my way through Beverly Cleary's entire opus. It wasn't my favorite as a kid, and I found it to be just ok now. It has the charm of Cleary's writing style, but I didn't find the characters and situations as compelling as some of her other books. Still a great read though!
Anna
Mar 08, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
A trip to the library led me down memory lane in the kid's section so I grabbed a few of Beverly Cleary's books that I had never read when I was younger. This was a cute little story of twins and their trials of life (school and chores, hehe). I like books that are simple and straight-forward, and accurately portray the huge dramas of normal life activities through the eyes of children. Fun!
Joy
Feb 28, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This book took me back to the 1960's. So funny how some things change like technology since this book was written yet other things - sibling conflict seem to go from one geration to another.
Found the book while cleaning up and I found that I still enjoy a real easy read especially when Beverly Cleary writes the book.
Josiah
Apr 16, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice story, crafted well in the style of much of Beverly Cleary's older material. The narrative is reliable and well done, giving in-depth insight into what it means to be a twin in both the good and bad times. This book is an excellent choice for reading to be entertained or to learn about relationships.
Paige
Nov 02, 2012 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2
It reminds me of my sister and I.The children are constantly fighting and bickering about something. But when the town bully starts to pick on them, they are forced to work together to beat this bully. I rate this book 4 stars for its realistic features.
Sep 05, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
It's a pretty long book, but my third graders loved it. They were able to relate to the problems that the twins, Mitch and Amy. After we read the book, we even created out own bird just like Amy made in the book.
Bunny
Super cute. The bullying storyline I wasn't a fan of, for reasons that are probably silly and projecting. But otherwise, a fun, short read.

Also, this book makes me want to play with paper machete, which I haven't done since 3rd grade. Hmm.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 21, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids with siblings
Shelves: childrensbooks, humor
Amy loves to read and loves to talk. Mitch would rather ride his bike than read. Then Amy goes to camp, and Mitch finds a book with cowboys, and it's so good, he actually wants to read it. And by the time he's done, he's a true reader! Another winner by Cleary.
Rebecca
I must have read this one a dozen times as a kid. It doesn't hold up quite as well as the Ramona books. Some of the attitudes about what boys can do vs. what girls can do are not exactly enlightened. Of course, the book still has that Beverly Cleary charm, so I won't hold this one against her.
Scott
Jun 22, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Read this to my daughter - i remember it fondly from my childhood and I was hoping she would find something in the book to help her cope with some brother issues she has from time to time. Great book from a great author.
Joann White
Dec 07, 2009 Joann White rated it it was amazing
Good story line.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
It's been years since I read this, and I just finished it with Brigham. We both loved it.
Amy
Mitch and Amy by Beverly Cleary (1991)
  • New Kid in Town
  • Ten Kids, No Pets
  • Escape from the Slave Traders
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Paddington: Here and Now (Paddington, #12)
  • Bicycle Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #15)
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Franklin's Secret Club
  • Anastasia Has the Answers (Anastasia Krupnik, #6)
  • Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • The Zebra Wall
  • Jelly Belly
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up
  • Nate the Great on the Owl Express
  • Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

“Girl Snouts.” “We are not,” contradicted Sarah. “We’re Girl Scouts.” “Hup, two, three, four. Hup, two, three, four,” counted Mrs. Collins, who was the jolly type and did not understand how parents sometimes embarrass their children. Down the hill marched the class. Mitchell felt Bernadette’s toe on his heel again and jumped in time.” 1 likes
“Amy thought a moment. How could they get rid of their mother? “We could have her away taking care of a sick neighbor, and we are all alone in the house” 1 likes