Start by marking “Mitch and Amy” as Want to Read:

Mitch and Amy

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,020 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Double Trouble

Then the school bully starts picking on Mitch -- and on Amy, to

Published December 30th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Mitch and Amy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitch and Amy

My Brother Is My Best Friend by Nicole WeaverDestiny and Faith Go to Twincentric Academy by Teddy O'MalleyLottie and Lisa by Erich KästnerJake and Lily by Jerry SpinelliTrading Faces by Julia DeVillers
Children's Books About Multiples
30th out of 81 books — 30 voters
The World of Karov by Elyse SalpeterThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneI Know This Much Is True by Wally LambTwelfth Night or, What You Will by William Shakespeare
Best Books About Twins
88th out of 130 books — 198 voters

More lists with this book...

Zaylene Mendoza
Do you think having a twin would be fun? Or an amazing thing?
Well in The fiction book Mitch and Amy you'll get a little taste of how it feels to be twins and be bullied.
I actually enjoyed this book .

Mitch and Amy both think being twins is fun,but don't have the Sam interest, Amy is good at reading. Mitch is a math whiz. Amy likes to play pretend. Mitch would rather skateboard. They never want to watch the same television show. And they always try to get the better of each other. But then the
Fred Ann
I decided to preview this book wondering about the suitability or interest appeal it might have for my grandchildren. Both main characters are nine years old, going into grade four. great I have a nine year old grandson going into grade 4 this coming fall. Mitch, one o the main characters builds a skate board check. another 9 year old grandson is taking skate board lessons! the mother of the twins Amy and Mitch is a birdwatcher as am I and I share my interest with my grandchildren. Mitch is conf ...more
My favorite chapter is when Mitch finally realizes that reading can be fun. Clearly perfectly captures the everyday wonder of that moment for all of us.
Melody
I've always avoided this title because I thought it was one of Cleary's teen romances. I don't like teen romances. But Mitch and Amy are twins, not boyfriend and girlfriend. I fell in love with the competent Bernadette in this book. The way she deals with the bully is a thing of beauty, but so is the aftermath.

One interesting effect of going through all the Cleary books in a row is seeing how certain small anecdotes get recycled (sewing pants for stuffed elephants, for instance, and the "shave a
Rebecca
I must have read this one a dozen times as a kid. It doesn't hold up quite as well as the Ramona books. Some of the attitudes about what boys can do vs. what girls can do are not exactly enlightened. Of course, the book still has that Beverly Cleary charm, so I won't hold this one against her.
Melissa
Mitch and Amy, by Beverly Cleary, is about the relationship between two twins. Mitch, a sporty math champ, is the exact opposite of his twin sister Amy, a girly girl who loves to read. Later in the book, the twins both have trouble standing up to the school bully Alan Hibbler, and they have to work together to solve this problem. If you enjoy realistic fiction books, you'll love Mitch and Amy.
Amanda Moore
Good book

This book is a very good book it's not always funny or always having trouble with people it is one of the best books I have read. Beverly Cleary you are a good author!!
Kerith
Mitch & Amy have always reminded me of my own brother and myself. We weren't twins, but as close in age as we could be and not be twins. The arguing and teasing, but still the closeness and loyalty was all the same. I read this now and remember that, but see it through the eyes of Mrs. Huff instead. Ms Cleary, having twins herself, was certainly writing what she knew, and this little story of a brother and a sister banding together, with their friends, against the neighborhood bully stands t ...more
Kris
3.5 STARS

"Mitch and Amy both think being twins is fun, but that doesn't stop them from squabbling. Amy is good at reading. Mitch is a math whiz. Amy likes to play pretend. Mitch would rather skateboard. They never want to watch the same television show. And they always try to get the better of each other.

Then the school bully starts picking on Mitch -- and on Amy, too. Now the twins have something rotten in common: Alan Hibbler. This twosome must set aside their squabbles and band together to de
Sally
Reread because I was in the mood. One of my favorite Beverly Clearys.
Cathleen
I read this book years (and years) ago. Loved it! Mitch and Amy are twins with typical sibling issues; however, when push comes to shove, they defend each other and genuinely care about each other. Each of the twins has issues to overcome. With Mitch it's a dislike of reading, with Amy it's math. When Mitch gets sick and his mother finds him "sneak reading" a book under the covers, her reaction is priceless. A must read for boys or girls.
Carrie
I wonder if Cleary wrote this as an homage to her own twins. I found it heartwarming without being too cloying. Interesting take on the bully theme and doubly interesting to me because it takes place in the East Bay.

(Side note: I read the 1973 version with illustrations by George Porter, and this is not something I read as a kid--it's a new one for me! I can't believe my hometown public library didn't have this book. Why not?!)
Diane Bell
This is a reread, several times over. My eleven year old son wanted me to read something with him, so we pulled out this book. I am enjoying it just as much as he is, but Beverly Cleary is one of my favorite authors. I love how she writes things that are so true to life. I'm a middle aged mom and still enjoy her books, possibly because I can totally relate to both the kids and the parents in her stories.
Anna
A trip to the library led me down memory lane in the kid's section so I grabbed a few of Beverly Cleary's books that I had never read when I was younger. This was a cute little story of twins and their trials of life (school and chores, hehe). I like books that are simple and straight-forward, and accurately portray the huge dramas of normal life activities through the eyes of children. Fun!
Traci
This book was cute and I generally really enjoy Beverly Cleary. But this one was too wordy for the audience. We did it at home as a read-aloud, just for something fun. And whether my daughter or I were reading it, we found ourselves stumbling over extremely long sentences. Even though I enjoyed the topic and some of the things that happened, it's not my favorite Cleary book.
Azkamalazka
they were like my cousins
Joy
This book took me back to the 1960's. So funny how some things change like technology since this book was written yet other things - sibling conflict seem to go from one geration to another.
Found the book while cleaning up and I found that I still enjoy a real easy read especially when Beverly Cleary writes the book.
Josiah
This is a nice story, crafted well in the style of much of Beverly Cleary's older material. The narrative is reliable and well done, giving in-depth insight into what it means to be a twin in both the good and bad times. This book is an excellent choice for reading to be entertained or to learn about relationships.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 21, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids with siblings
Shelves: childrensbooks, humor
Amy loves to read and loves to talk. Mitch would rather ride his bike than read. Then Amy goes to camp, and Mitch finds a book with cowboys, and it's so good, he actually wants to read it. And by the time he's done, he's a true reader! Another winner by Cleary.
Paige
It reminds me of my sister and I.The children are constantly fighting and bickering about something. But when the town bully starts to pick on them, they are forced to work together to beat this bully. I rate this book 4 stars for its realistic features.
Scott
Read this to my daughter - i remember it fondly from my childhood and I was hoping she would find something in the book to help her cope with some brother issues she has from time to time. Great book from a great author.
Amy
It's a pretty long book, but my third graders loved it. They were able to relate to the problems that the twins, Mitch and Amy. After we read the book, we even created out own bird just like Amy made in the book.
Summer
Mitch and Amy is not one of Beverly Cleary’s most popular books, but it is one of the best. It explores the at times complicated relationship of twins who are different but devoted to each other.
Veronica
One that I can read over and over. The differences from then to now amaze me since it was not so long ago. I loved the relationship between twin brother Mitch and sister Amy.
Catherine Woodman
Beverly Cleary was one of the favorites of my childhood, and while my kids were less attached to her, they still enjoyed her books--this is a good one.
Steph
fun
light
easy
its like a little kid book for like age 9
i didn't not like, i think im just too old for it.
its basic beverly cleary
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I forgot all about this one. Read it as a kid--got it from the Scholastic Book Club. Loved it! I ought to dig it out and re-read it...
Colleen
I love this book, all of Cleary's work, really. This book made me want to be a twin; I'm so glad to have revisited her world!
Sherri
This book could be about any set of siblings, twins or not, and their love/hate relationship. Enjoyed it.
The Styling Librarian
Mitch and Amy by Beverly Cleary – twins dealing with bullies and learning how to get along…
  • New Kid in Town
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran
  • Ten Kids, No Pets
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • Paddington: Here and Now (Paddington, #12)
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • The Ghost Ship Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #39)
  • Ralph S. Mouse: teacher guide
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • Financial Peace Jr.: Teaching Kids About Money! : "Cool Tools" for Training Tomorrow's Millionaires!
  • Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline, #2)
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck
  • The Kid Who Became President (Kid President, #2)
  • The Lemonade Trick
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...
Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1) Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6) The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1) Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)