Start by marking “Doctrinal New Testament Commentary: Volumes 1-3” as Want to Read:
Doctrinal New Testament Commentary: Volumes 1-3

Doctrinal New Testament Commentary: Volumes 1-3

"Understandest thou what thou readest?"

So asked Philip of one who was diligently searching the scriptures.

"How can I," came the answer, "except some man should guide me."

Jesus said: "Search the scriptures," and gave the promise, "Whoso treasureth up my word, shall not be deceived."

Today the Lord's command is: "Teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom."

This Doctri

Paperback, 2015 pages
Published December 10th 2002 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctrinal New Testament Commentary

Derek Warren
Aug 23, 2011 Derek Warren rated it it was amazing
Arguably the best commentary available on the New Testament. I love this series because Elder McConkie focuses on doctrine, the very meat of the New Testament. He brings in historical facts when they help to clarify doctrine. But as the title indicates, the focus is on the precepts that are at the root of true, Gospel living.

He includes the full text from the King James version of the bible, broken down into consumable and logical parts. Where applicable, he includes the Joseph Smith translatio
Aaron
Dec 04, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those scurrilous exegetes . . . good thing we have Elder McConkie to expound on the text of the New Testament. Wait a second, doesn't that make him an exegete?

Seriously, this series was great. There were several spots, scattered throughout the three volumes, where I do not think he was right. For example, while it may be true that we are given blessings here in this mortal world based on things we did in the pre-mortal life, I do not believe that those who are in less favorable positions in this
Michele
Jan 05, 2012 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2012
Finished just in time. I can't believe I read all three in one year. Really helped me a lot with my New Testament reading.
I was really struck by how many times they mentioned temporal work being necessary for your salvation. I think lots of people think that if they are spiritual enough, temporal things just aren't important. I would say, read the New Testament and you will see it just ain't true. Work is essential to our salvation!
This was awesome: You are rewarded for being patient!
271: Futur
Erin
Jan 24, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
This is my companion for this year's study. Three volumes. Second time through. I am sure I will learn, or re-learn much.

I took the whole year to finish. I love to read Bruce R. McConkie. Sometimes he is repetitive, but that is how we learn. I love having a companion to read side by side with my scriptures. I learn so much more.
Chrisanne
Sep 09, 2015 Chrisanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid research and information. I feel like the format could be updated for a more modern flow. It would make it easier to follow. Sometimes I was confused about who said what. But the version I borrowed from the library was a first edition. Maybe they've done that already?
Ruth
Dec 13, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent
Erika
Aug 25, 2008 Erika rated it it was amazing
Let's be honest - I did not read this cover to cover, but it's an amazing resource to help me be smarter for my seminary class!
Clint
Jan 02, 2013 Clint rated it really liked it
A great reference commentary on the New Testament for Mormons. It was a tough slog, but I actually read these three volumes all the way through.
Kevin
Jun 21, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
This was required reading in college, took new testament class. It was good stuff. A really thick book.
Nephi
Jul 11, 2010 Nephi rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection for anyone wanting a clear explanation of the new testament. From restored gospel perspective.
Chris
Jan 16, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-religious
A wonderful study guide to help you better understand the beautiful and profound teachings of the New Testament.
David
Apr 09, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, sped
The best commentary on the New Testiment and practically the only way to survive Paul for the uninitiated.
Munteeomibe
Jan 05, 2012 Munteeomibe added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Munteeomibe by: munteeomibe
Ernie Dawson
Aug 23, 2010 Ernie Dawson rated it really liked it
I read all 3 volumes. Great stuff.
Amber
Jul 11, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
Great as a companion study to the New testament
Cindy
Oct 02, 2007 Cindy rated it liked it
These books contain a lot of information, but are informative.
Kurt
Jul 08, 2008 Kurt rated it it was amazing
Great resource.
Chrissy
May 23, 2009 Chrissy is currently reading it
I love this book. It is really helping me with my scripture study.
Roger
Roger rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Josh Hasler
Josh Hasler rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2009
David Stout
David Stout rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Steven Montgomery
Steven Montgomery rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2007
Quinton Baran
Quinton Baran rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2008
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Taft Babbitt
Taft Babbitt rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Cori
Cori rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Ken Parkinson
Ken Parkinson rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The World and the Prophets (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 3)
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith
  • The Lord's Way
  • History of the Church (Boxed Set)
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, Vol. 1- First and Second Nephi
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
  • Answers to Gospel Questions: The Classic Collection in One Volume
  • The Great Apostasy
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
193151
Bruce Redd McConkie was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).

McConkie served in the First Council of the Seventy of the LDS Church from 1946 until his calling to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1972, where he served until his death in 1985.

During his service as a general authority, he published several doctrinal books an
More about Bruce R. McConkie...