Start by marking “The Promise of Discipleship” as Want to Read:
The Promise of Discipleship

The Promise of Discipleship

In The Promise of Discipleship, Elder Neal A. Maxwell helps us discover the exhilarating and sometimes arduous journey of Christian discipleship, viewing it in the light of knowledge gained through the Restoration. He explains why we must develop the traits of a true disciple, including being longsuffering, yet firm and steadfast, and admonishes us along the road to becomi ...more
Published March 28th 2001 by Shadow Mountain (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise of Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise of Discipleship

Elizabeth S
Apr 30, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it it was amazing
This is the last book written by Apostle Maxwell, and it is just as much of a gem as his other books. His doctrine is sound, his testimony of Christ and His gospel is deep, and his word choices are exquisite. Elder Maxwell is well known for his artistic alliteration. Here is a good example from this book:

"To know Jesus more and more is to experience His attributes. We thus draw closer by way of appreciation, admiration, and even adoration of Him. We truly accelerate knowing Him, as we become mor
Apr 29, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, leadership
Wonderful book! I love reading Elder Maxwell's words about discipleship--life is about discipleship. Who do we follow? What are our goals and priorities? How do we lead our lives? We live in a time of commotion, but as we live as a disciple and follower of Christ the way is sure. It's not easy. Our trials match our progression to help us grow further. We must have a determination to focus on the Lord and His will for us. There's nothing else more important! This is why we're here. It's easy to g ...more
Nov 18, 2014 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-read
A really good, quick read.
Jan 20, 2015 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blew-me-away
Go slow, there was a lot to think about. One quote that has stuck with me is: "Resilience is a form of repentance".
Teri Anderson
Aug 30, 2009 Teri Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
In particular, I really enjoyed the chapter on the spirit world. Maxwell talked not only about the sheer volume of spirits there, but the intensity of the missionary work and teaching that is going on there. There'll be plenty of missionary work for us all to do when we cross over. Great book. You can't go wrong with Neal A. Maxwell.
Brandon Dean
A really good review of and instruction concerning key points to consider when trying to become a true follower of Christ. It's a Maxwell book so it's full of deep meaning sentences and well worded aphorisms. So while it's a bit heavy in parts, it's words are bold and really provide some help on living more like the Savior.
Oct 03, 2008 Leahcim rated it it was amazing
James here again. Elder Maxwell in his wonderful talent lets us know what discipleship really means and how we can and are to be disciples of our Lord and Savior. A great read for anyone wanting to know more about the Savior and about the covenants we make to be like him.
Ander Heaton
Apr 08, 2012 Ander Heaton rated it really liked it
This book was a little hard to read, but reading on Sundays when I am tired is not the greatest idea anyways. There are some excellent things in this book, and I have pulled a big handful of great quotes from this amazing man's writing to save for future use.
Crystal Freeman
Jun 27, 2008 Crystal Freeman rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
It was in college that I read this book. I can't remember what I really liked about it, but I remember it touched me and changed me unlike even most religious books do. I should certainly re read it and I hope I like it as much this time too.
Aug 04, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
I really like how Elder Maxwell writes. It is very intellectual, I had to keep a dictionary handy. I love the way he illustrates his ideas with the scriptures. He bears a strong testimony of Jesus Christ, the Church and Joseph Smith.
I love Neal A Maxwell's writings! Another excellent work of his. I love the depth & knowledge this book brought to me. I always appreciate and enjoy the metaphors and descriptions he uses.
Aug 14, 2012 Dansage rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Neal A. Maxwell discusses what it really looks like in daily living for a disciple of Christ. Not like most of his writings, this is easier to understand and much easier to apply.
John Jannuzzi
Jun 16, 2013 John Jannuzzi rated it really liked it
I love his ability to express himself, to so eloquently describe things, i.e., "moments are the molecules that make up eternity." It was a very uplifting book.
James Davis
Feb 16, 2010 James Davis rated it it was amazing
Elder Maxwell is so eloquent but the beautiful arrangement of his words doesn't compare to the significance of what he teaches. Reading this book was time well spent.
Oct 23, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
Neal A. Maxwell's books are amazing, but very deep, so they take time and pondering, but I always love what I learn from his's worth the effort.
Dec 30, 2011 Janell rated it liked it
As wonderful as this book was, it seemed to float above my head much of the time. For me it took a great deal of concentration. :-)
Dec 10, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a lesson. Maxwell centers most of his writings on dicsipleship so this book is all inclusive of his insight. Powerful.
Jun 21, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Wish I was a little smarter so it didn't take so long for me to read/understand this book. Of course, it's excellent just sometimes over my head.
Jan 22, 2008 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Neal A. Maxwell, one of my favorites as you will see. Some feel he is not as easy to read but I feel he has some deep things to say.
Mar 11, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
I have read this book again and again. Someone who is serious about their following Jesus Christ should definately read.
Eric Johnson
Jan 04, 2008 Eric Johnson rated it it was amazing
he has one of the greatest commands of the English language. Every sentence is filled with beauty and many with humor as well.
Nov 05, 2013 Cyndi rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I found this book thought-provoking and detailed. The words are carefully chosen so it is not a book to rush.

Sep 13, 2010 Tebafin rated it really liked it
Of course it is great!!! "If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves."
Jun 17, 2011 Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: religiosity
Reading him just makes me miss him all the more. I especially loved his chapter on the spirit world. Good stuff.
Sep 06, 2011 Caralee rated it it was amazing
I have read this in the past, but recently decided to read it again! What a fantastic book, it's amazing!
David Barney
Dec 08, 2013 David Barney rated it really liked it
good stuff. Typical Elder Maxwell. Great use of words. Makes you think to better understand.
Nov 06, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it
You can't go wrong with Elder Maxwell. I just felt it was a little choppy.
May 29, 2008 Robert added it
I enjoyed this book a lot. Great chapters on Joseph Smith and the Holy Ghost.
Mar 29, 2008 Betzy rated it it was amazing
Another of Maxwell's masterpieces that captures the insights of eternity.
Jun 22, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I love Elder Maxwell...He really makes you think.
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Be Your Best Self
  • The House of the Lord: A Study of Holy Sanctuaries Ancient and Modern
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • That We Might Have Joy
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle
Neal A. Maxwell was well known as an Apostle, author, administrator, and educator. A graduate of the University of Utah, he was the Commissioner of Education for the Church Educational System for six years. He also held a variety of administrative and teaching positions at the University of Utah, including that of executive vice-president.

In 1974 Elder Maxwell was called as an Assistant to the Cou
More about Neal A. Maxwell...