Start by marking “Not My Will, but Thine” as Want to Read:
Not My Will, but Thine

Not My Will, but Thine

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  770 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The spiritual life consists of many virtues and activities- earnest prayer, scripture study, love of fellowman, caring service, to name a few. Undergirding all, it seems, is attitude toward God.

Here Elder Neal A. Maxwell shows how crucial is that element. For the disciple, he points out, the teaching and example of Jesus Christ shows an inescapable pattern- submission alw

Published December 1st 2002 by Bookcraft

To ask other readers questions about Not My Will, but Thine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not My Will, but Thine

Mdonalds1
Elder Maxwell masterfully teaches the concept of doing the will of God over doing our own will. I have wanted to read this book for a long time and have actually been reading it for over a year....here a little and there a little.... :-)

In any case, the greatest thought I am taking with me from this book is the idea that we are not owners of anything....we are merely stewards. Even the elements of our body will one day return to the earth until we are resurrected......again a gift...because of...more
Niko
Elder Neal A. Maxwell is an articulate and eloquent writer. Add to that his powerful testimony of Jesus Christ and gospel principles, and "Not My Will, but Thine" is an engaging and inspiring work. I found myself underlining and wanting to share passages on nearly every page, wanting to draw closer to my Father in Heaven, wanting to be a better person through the grace and power of the Savior, wanting to read it again and again.

As the title indicates, the overall theme is submissiveness to God'...more
Andrea
I read this book over a decade ago and what I read I still apply it in my everyday life. Each day I read an exerpt that I pulled from this book. It seems to keep me in "check" with my reality, which then pulls me up to a higher ground for another day.
"So often in life, it seems a blessing is quickly succeeded by a stretching. Spiritual exhilaration is often short lived, being soon followed by vexation, temptation and even tribulation. Perhaps this is so because we cannot handle exhilaration for...more
Belcantomom

Reading this, I could hear Elder Maxwell speaking and it was comforting. I love how he knew the scriptures so well that his speaking weaves quoted pieces of the scriptures seamlessly with his own words.

This book came at a serendipitous time. I love when many pieces come at once to form the puzzle you have been trying to figure out for years. His writing is much like his speech, eloquent and deep. This is not for someone looking for a light read. That being said, it was much easier for me than,...more
Melissa
I'm embarrassed to say this is one that I read over and over and over again. I just keep gleaning so much from it. So grateful for it. Hope to someday have a better write up of how I feel. Hard to put into words
Cindy
I love the way Elder Maxwell expresses/expressed himself; not to say I always understand what he is saying. But when I do, I feel like pure knowledge is flowing into me. I have those great "ah-ha" moments that inspire me. I always learn about something I am not doing or something that I need to change so that I can be a better disciple of the Lord. This book was just another great opportunity for me to be taught by a man who worked with all his might to submit himself to the Lord and then help t...more
Craig
Elder Maxwell stresses the purposes of our mortal existence, the most important of which is to seek and do the will of our Heavenly Father. At times, we stumble and we must repent. We must submit with a willing heart and because we want to please our Heavenly Father and become like him. Often we must endure, but He is always at our side ready to comfort and assist us. Through the process of submitting and enduring, we experience tremendous growth. Our ability to submit and endure is made possibl...more
Angus Mckay
I've been thinking a lot about religious authenticity - namely one's level of commitment to their religion - of late, and this book weighs in heavily on this topic. I found the doctrines and they way they are presented herein very refreshing and reinvigorating. Maxwell has a very unique style, which I know rubs some people the wrong way, but I very much enjoy it. I wouldn't say this is an absolute "must read", but I recommend it to anyone who is searching for deeper understanding of what it take...more
Dan
I loved this book! You should read it!
Catania Larson
I really liked this book.

Several of the concepts he mentions are things that have opened my eyes into understanding discipleship. I, of course, struggle in many ways, and I want to be a better person. I know that I'm the only one standing in my way.

About every other page has something that I highlighted and wanted to remember. This is a philosophical, yet practical, book.

If you are looking to learn more about discipleship, then this is a good book to read.
Chris
What a great book for one who is seeking to be a disciple of Christ! This book beautifully provides insight into the necessity of one overcoming what the world has largely endorsed through secularism, governments, and social sciences in an attempt to replace religion. This book empowers the individual through its thought provoking insight to consider what changes can be made so that everlasting joy can be achieved, which is after all the reason we are here.
Patty
This book was kind of deep for my simple mind. I read it slowly to try to get the most out of it as possible. I think it's one of those books you can read over and over and get something different out of it depending on your life situations at the time. My first reading, I was able to get the most out of the last two chapters. This is definately worth reading. Just be patient with yourself and take your time if you need too.
Eric
Just a great book! I took so long reading it because 1) I was pretty busy with school and 2) I felt like I had to read every chapter twice to make sure I didn't miss anything. Well, I'm sure I still missed much.

As anyone who is familiar with Elder Maxwell knows, his profound phrasing and apt analogies bring important principles to life. This book is no exception. I especially loved the climactic and satisfying end.
Jolie
I loved this book. Neal A. Maxwell is such a deep thinker. I had no idea that someone could write a whole book about submission. This book opened my eyes to the reasons why it is important to submit to God but validates why we don't submit to mankind--we do not put our trust in the arm of flesh. There were some really, really good thoughtful points in the book that left me thinking for days...and maybe years.
Seth
Neal A. Maxwell is such a good writer. This book is about discipleship to Jesus Christ, and contains such clearly explained precepts and instruction that it makes you wonder why you never saw things that way before. It's as if the "smog" of the world is lifted and you can see things "as they really are." I felt so good reading this the first time that I've started reading it over again.
Angee
I feel really bad giving a book by Elder Maxwell such a low rating. It was deep. Maybe if I had more time to devote to it, I would have enjoyed it more. But my life right now needs books that are easy reads; definitely not this book. I didn't even finish it! There were some good things in it, and I would like to read it again in the future when I have the time to devote to it.
Sherilyn
Neal A. Maxwell is one of my most favorite general authority and I love to read about his knowledge of our Savior and his will for us. He has a way yo make you think and reflect on where you are in life and what you need to do to draw closer to our Savior and to make the changes necessary in our lifes so that we can be ready to meet our Savior.
Shane
On the one hand I felt like I understood what I was reading. On the other I feel like I will need to read it a hundred more times to scratch the surface and begin to grasp its profound meaning. Perhaps because each page is packed with scriptural references and thoughts reflecting years of pondering and living by the word of God.
Catherine
I studied this book while I did my scripture study, and it gave so many wonderful insights. Elder Maxwell can be difficult to understand sometimes, but when I would just slow down, I was able to learn a lot of new things and there was a lot for me to ponder.
Deni Torrez
This is probably one of my fav books. It was such an eye opener for me.. yes it is all things we know but the way it was presented was great!! I will prolly make it part of all the christmis gifts i give this year. two thumbs up!
Melissa
I love Elder Maxwell! His writing is so eloquent and thought-provoking. In his own loving way, he encourages his reader to be more submissive to the Lord's will. Not necessarily a fast read, but a wonderful one.
Michael Adamson
Jun 20, 2008 Michael Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: Self
Also another wonderful book I read during some very stressful times in my life due to my sons illness and eventual death. This book helped me to realize that all is in God's hands. even with the loss of a child.
Joey
Mar 05, 2009 Joey is currently reading it
I have enjoyed the insight from Elder Maxwell. I usually turned him off when I he would speak in Conference.. (didn't understand him). I find myself re-reading paragraphs, but am really enjoying it.
Kristelle
I thought this book was amazing. It was hard to read in long stretches due the the deepness of the topic. I also found that there were times when I didn't always follow the line of thought.
Cindy
I loved this book. It is quiet deep, but that's normal for Elder Maxwell. I enjoyed learning about his perspective for learning to do Heavenly Father's will. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.
Katie
Elder Maxwell has a unique way with words. At times it can be hard to grasp everything but as I got farther into it the more I was able to get used to his style. It was a good book.
Pauline Evans
I love Neal A. Maxwell's books, this was very helpful to me at a time when I really needed it. He writes in a way that is easy to understand.I hope to read his whole library of books!
Cheri
Took alot more thought than I was capable of at this time - didn't really apply to my immediate situation. I'll go back and read it again later. Had a few sections I enjoyed.
Susan
I loved this book .. I love reading Maxwell
because he seems to invent his own words.
He was a most eloquent writer.. and to think he got his start as a pig farmer...
Heidi
I can't think of a man who would know how to submit more to the Lord's will than Neal A. Maxwell. He has always been one of my favorite spekers and authors.
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • The Great Apostasy
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
193147
Neal A. Maxwell was well known as an Apostle, author, administrator, and educator. A graduate of the University of Utah, he was the Commissioner of Education for the Church Educational System for six years. He also held a variety of administrative and teaching positions at the University of Utah, including that of executive vice-president.

In 1974 Elder Maxwell was called as an Assistant to the Cou...more
More about Neal A. Maxwell...
All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience The Enoch Letters The Promise of Discipleship The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book Moving in His Majesty and Power

“True discipleship is for volunteers only. Only volunteers will trust the Guide sufficiently to follow Him in the dangerous ascent which only He can lead.” 14 likes
“While we must always begin from where we are, we need not stay where we are.” 6 likes