Start by marking “Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went” as Want to Read:
Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went

Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A classic look at the story of money is updated for the 1990s by the eminent economist, offering an in-depth, often hilarious lesson in human behavior and a layman's course in the theory and practice of economics. Reprint.
Published 1976 by Pelican (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money

Paul
Un libro que te abre los ojos y esclarece tantas cosas sobre porque el mundo está como está. Para entender la situación nacional como la internacional.
Se ocupa de las lecciones del uso del dinero en la historia, los progenitores del dinero, el como empezaron a surgir los bancos, la forma en que actúa la gente que es dueña de estos bancos, y la actitud de desconfianza de la gente frente a los bancos. Los inicios del Banco de Inglaterra, el patrón oro, la historia del papel moneda, el rol de la pl
Procyon Lotor
Finissima divulgazione economica di gran classe. Per tutti, soprattutto i non specialisti. Introduzione storica dove serve, talvolta eccessiva per proteggersi accademicamente, taglio pratico, regole spesso applicabili. Le quattro nature del danaro: misura dei prezzi e fondo di valore, strumento di pagamento e (derivando) riferimento per il credito, sono ben trattate senza l'inutile aura esoterica che caratterizza tanta cattiva divulgazione economica; non per caso si parte dall'incompleta ma gene ...more
Milloum
Well, i'm french. and i'm no very big lover of economics.
I was drawn to this book because i thought it promised an interesting and accessible introduction to some tricky aspects of the central topic of economic theory: money. and to some extent i did.

But i got more than i bargained for. You see, JK Galbraith has adopted a historical approach to his subject, which works, since indeed, the intricacy of all things money-related has grown with the centuries.

And up until year 1776, it's all good. I m
Seán
Categorical Syllogism Review:

Idiots are rarely right about anything.
Thomas Sowell, an idiot, hates this book.
Therefore, this book is probably pretty good.

I really enjoyed this. Galbraith upbraids the Milton Friedmanites, savages Nixon, writes like a smoking jacket-wearing gangster, and eradicates ignorance on every page:
Where economic misfortune is concerned, a word on nomenclature is necessary. In the course of his disastrous odyssey Pal Joey, the most inspired of John O'Hara's creations, finds
Kressel Housman
With all that's going on with the economy, I figured I owed it to myself to finally learn how money works. Rabbi Wein describes Galbraith's memoirs as "funny," and the flap copy on this book said that reading it would not be "a chore," so I figured this was the economics book for me.

After about 60 pages, I'm giving up. I can see that it's well-written and well-documented, but most of it is going over my head. I read a little about bank crises in Europe in the 1700's and the debate over gold sta
Cody Cummings
"Well thought out and articulated. The language was a bit elevated, and sometimes it took a couple of rereadings to completely comprehend. The dry sarcasm was greatly appreciated. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for someone who does not have some kind of background in finance because the vernacular and assumed knowledge-base are at least at the level of a bachelors degree in finance."
Walter Souza
I took this book plainly with no expectations. And I liked what I read. The history of the money and everything that the mankind already likewise used. It can be bothersome, but it depends on your eager to read about the subject. Maybe it is the kind of book that you feel that you got what you wanted before finish reading.
Anyway, assuredly it is a good book to explore the subject.
Rory Foster
Plenty of interesting history, and lots of opportunities for economic thinking at all levels. Many of the topics seem accessible with little or no serious background. I also like that Gilbraith acknowledges areas in which others disagree with his conclusions. A lot of the discussion gets complicated and terse, though, so it can be tough going for a novice. Still, a worthwhile read.
Jun-Dai Bates-Kobashigawa
A fascinating narrative about the history of money, mostly covering the last couple centuries, mostly in the US and Western Europe. Oddly enough this book reminded me very much of Eagleton's Introduction to Literary Criticism, probably because both work through history, pull out various ideas, and then proceed to point out everything that is wrong with them.
Erik Graff
Mar 28, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: economics neophytes
Recommended to Erik by: David Schweickart
Although not assigned, I read this book alongside a bunch of other Galbraith books for Davud Schweickart's Capitalism, Democracy, Socialism class at Loyola University Chicago. Although a history of common currencies since antiquity and around the globe, it serves as a witty introduction to some basic concepts of economics.
Daniel
Why did we believe once in gold being money and then silver and now only paper?

Why can't we simply barter?

Galbraith tells us all the answers!

Kari
Jibes at conservatives and liberals, but very liberal, and very opinionated, my word.
John
Very fun. A history of (mostly) American experiments with money and banking.
Mike
starting to get a hazy feel for how the fed works I think.
Sokolg
Sokolg marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jude Blackwell
Jude Blackwell marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Amr Elhassan
Amr Elhassan marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Redim Ameti
Redim Ameti marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Joris
Joris marked it as to-read
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Meagan
Meagan marked it as to-read
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
  • Eco-Economy
  • The ABCs of Political Economy: A Modern Approach
  • The Enigma of Capital and the Crises of Capitalism
  • When Money Dies: The Nightmare Of The Weimar Hyper Inflation
  • Web of Debt
  • The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
  • On Ethics and Economics
  • How Rich Countries Got Rich And Why Poor Countries Stay Poor
  • Paper Promises: Debt, Money, and the New World Order
  • Rogue Economics
  • Economics Explained
  • The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century
  • Parecon: Life After Capitalism
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • The Nature of Economies
  • The Cash Nexus: Money and Power in the Modern World, 1700-2000
  • The Battle
  • Principles of Economics
John Kenneth Galbraith, OC (October 15, 1908–April 29, 2006) was a Canadian-American economist. He was a Keynesian and an institutionalist, a leading proponent of 20th-century American liberalism and progressivism. His books on economic topics were bestsellers in the 1950s and the 1960s.

Galbraith was a prolific author who produced four dozen books and over a thousand articles on various subjects.
More about John Kenneth Galbraith...
The Great Crash of 1929 The Affluent Society A Short History of Financial Euphoria  The New Industrial State (James Madison Library in American Politics) The Age of Uncertainty

“The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled.” 0 likes