Start by marking “Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)

Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"Star Wars'" explosive space saga lives on in "Crimson Empire" as a new generation of heroes takes over from Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.
Published December 1st 1998 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Crimson Empire, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimson Empire, Volume 1

Gah, I love this book! It has all of my guilty pleasures: the underdog hero is a bad guy who is really a good guy; there is a tough chick who kicks many asses and takes a variety of names; big-effing spaceships; cameos from the franchise heroes (Wedge!); star-crossed lovers...well not yet, but its clear where this is going and I love it. Carnor Jax is a great old-fashioned villain, killing his boss and buddies and trying to rule the universe. I wish he had more a presence in the (old) EU. The in ...more
The Emperor is dead, and one of the last members of his Crimson Guard, is a fugitive from the new government and determined to seek revenge on a group that were conspiring against the empire.

Amazing how they could take those guys in the red helmets that got five minutes of screen during the movies and turn them into interesting characters and set up this entertaining bit of sci-fi adventure meets revenge flick.

A pleasant surprise from the usually uneven world of Star Wars comics.
Matthew Price
"Crimson Empire" looks at an elite group that didn’t get a lot of development in the films – the Emperor’s elite Royal Guard.

Written by Mike Richardson and Randy Stradley (Aliens vs. Predator), with artwork by Paul Gulacy (Master of Kung-Fu) and P. Craig Russell (Elric: Stormbringer), “Crimson Empire” has a creative team that is very lauded in the comics industry.

Kir Kanos, one of the last two surviving members of Emperor Palpatine’s Royal Guard, is on the run. After the emperor’s death, Kanos i
This is an Expanded Universe comic. Ever wondered about those characters and places and events mentioned but hardly explained in the movies? That's just part of what the Expanded Universe does. Crimson Empire I, does well in giving some background on the Imperial Royal Guard. The men in red robes and helmets seen in Return of the Jedi, the Emperor's guards, these are the Imperial Royal Guard. This particular story addresses the question of what happens to the Emperor's loyal guardsmen once the E ...more
Terri Paxton
This book is amazing. It's one of the first of the Expanded Universe to really show the point of view of an Imperial. The hero, Kir Kanos, was one of the Emperor's Royal Guard. We get to see flashbacks of his training for the job including a few scenes with Vader. Kanos is a man of integrity and honor, who truly believed in serving the Emperor. His mortal foe, Carnor Jax, took the same oath and betrayed it. Kanos has sworn revenge for that.
But the real meat of the story is the interaction betwee
Logan Young
I'm giving this a 3.5. The art was ok, the story was ok, but I think the thing that makes this comic unique is that they took figures which appeared for probably less than a minute in Return of the Jedi and made a whole comic about them. I'm of course talking about the mysterious Imperial Guard, who were Emperor Palpatine's personal bodyguards. They captivated me when I was a kid, and I always wanted to know more about them. I wish I had read this comic when it was first published, my 9 year old ...more
Espionage, new lore, and a classic antihero set this post-original trilogy story into high gear, showcasing the duty-bound red guard, Kir Kanos. Expanding upon the mysterious and intimidating guards glimpsed briefly in 'Return of the Jedi', the Crimson Empire saga explores the power vacuum left in the wake of the emperor's death, and offers a slightly different take on the rebel forces, especially in the reluctant commander, Mirith Sinn. A fantastic start to the trilogy.
Y con este volumen doy por finalizado el intento de quitarme esa espinita post-adolescente de comprobar si había algo de la magia de "La guerra de las galaxias" en sus cómics asociados. He probado con dos de las series de las que mejor había oído hablar, ésta y Dark Empire I, y el resultado en las dos ha sido francamente decepcionante.

En ésta en concreto asistimos a una historia más vista que el tebeo: el renegado superduro enfrentado a todos en una misión de venganza que acaba uniendo fuerzas c
So the Emperor is dead but his crimson guard still remains, and the best one of them all has taken up the empty throne, so to speak, although i do want to say i remember a drawing of Jax9wait i think that's the good guy, it's been a long time and i don't have my comics anymore) anyway the new emperor who still dresses like a crimson guard, but black, is in a throne. So anyway, the good guy is also crimson guard, well ex crimson guard, and of course, Vader had a hand in training these two. Well o ...more
Another audiobook for my 3 year old and me to listen to. Interesting plot and more fun than the Dark Empire 2 and 3 books.
I liked learning about the Imperial Royal Guard and the fight scene at the end was pretty cool.
Published by HighBridge in March of 1999.
Performed by an ensemble cast.
Duration: 2 hours.

I have not read the graphic novel so the audiobook is my only experience with this story about a member of the Emperor Palpatine's elite Imperial Guard. I think this is important to note since it has to be difficult to convert a graphic novel, with its emphasis on visuals to move the storyline, to a completely audio format. Audiobooks from regular novels don't have this issue.

This point is important - the au
I'm not entirely sure, but I thought that people weren't able to just "learn" the Force, as the main villain did. And how the Emperor was not able to detect it? Still, it's a story set in the SW universe and the audiobook version was in itself well done.
An Emperors guard is betrayed by another. He was sworn to defend the Emperor, the other plotted his death. This is a clever twist on the usual Star Wars tale, it is nothing special, but a good idea. A new kind of anti-hero. A good read.
Wilde Sky
Two fearsome warriors, who used to be colleagues, battle for justice / power.

I thought this graphic story stood up well as a stand-alone story, with a reasonable plot / characters and decent illustrations.
Andrew Rose
Imperial Infighting

When two Imperial guards cross weapons the fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance. Excellent introduction to two compelling new characters in the Star Wars saga.
Andrew Pennebaker
Vapid, childish. Every character is granted their own personal idiot ball. Villains prefer monologuing their incipient plans for global domination over killing the protagonist.
Samuel G Wells
Absolutely brilliant

A great story following a great anti-hero. I can't believe I hadn't read it until now. A+ read for sure.
A decent if unspectacular Star Wars tale. Good to see Wedge at the helm of a Super Star Destroyer though.
Kurt Zisa
One of the best Star Wars Graphic Novels - compelling back story about the emperors personal guard.
Not the best art, or the best story, but competent.
It was an alright story. I felt it was too predictable, but I'll give the next volume a try.
A solid Expanded Universe story. I really liked it in the beginning, but in the TPB's second half, I find Kir Kanos is portrayed "unrealistically" strong. Sure, he was trained to be an elite soldier in the Imperial Guard, but so was his opponent who even has mastered basic use of the force. I did enjoy the artwork though and was happy that Kir Kanos didn't turn from antihero into hero by the end of this volume.

No jedi, no sith, and still an awesome story... loved it :)
Tony Black
This definitely shows its age when compared to present-day Star Wars comic books from Dark Horse. The artwork and writing is very similar to some of the final comics Marvel released when they still had the Star Wars license. An overall good story. Loved the appearance of the Lusankya which I had previously only ever read about in the books.
It was entertaining. I liked the idea of taking an imperial guard and focusing on his quest for revenge. Even though there weren't any real surprises, it was fun to take a romp through the Star Wars universe with Kanos Kil.
I enjoyed it. It was different and refreshing than the usual stories surrounding the main characters. Although I do agree w/ another review that they tried to make Kanos sound too much like Boba Fett.
The story just wasn't that interesting to me, the main character vaguely resembles the detached Boba Fett we saw in the stories before he got over used in the last few years.
Kurt Rocourt
I prefer Kir Kanos over Darth Maul and Boba Fett. There's the element of danger but a code of honor behind the action of the last member of the Imperial Guard.
Dennis Brock
I just thought this was ok. Loved the artwork, but thought the story was lacking.
  • Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 1: Betrayal
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 6: On the Fields of Battle
  • Death, Lies, & Treachery (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1-3)
  • My Brother, My Enemy (Star Wars: Rebellion, #1)
  • Mandatory Retirement (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #9)
  • Star Wars: Infinities - The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Sith War (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #6)
  • Flashpoint (Star Wars:  Knights of the Old Republic, #2)
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
  • Star Wars: Chewbacca
  • Path to Nowhere (Star Wars: Dark Times, #1)
  • Star Wars: Infinities - Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: Crimson Empire (3 books)
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 2: Council of Blood (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #2)
  • Star Wars: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost (Star Wars: Crimson Empire #3)
47 Ronin Crimson Empire, Volume 2: Council of Blood (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #2) Star Wars: The Crimson Empire Saga Star Wars: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost (Star Wars: Crimson Empire #3) Aliens: Genocide (Aliens, #4)