Start by marking “Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night” as Want to Read:
Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night

Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night (Scot Harvath)

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  2,482 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Written by a cadre of major thriller authors, this collection's contributors include James Grippando, Alex Kava, John Lescroart, Eric Van Lustbader, and Douglas Preston.
Published June 1st 2006 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Thriller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thriller

William Herschel
A book of thrilling short stories, what could go wrong? Choosing James Patterson as an editor is one answer.

My edition features a typo in the introduction page THANKING the editor to start the book. The stories are not even that interesting and feature characters that, if not familiar with the authors in the first place, render them rather pointless.

The only reason this (and it's sequel) are going to sell is because of who's name's are on the book. To be fair, one of my favorite authors has a st
Rebecca
I find myself enjoying short story anthologies more and more these days so I was looking forward to reading this one.
I actually read this while reading the third anthology in the series and I found the commentary from James Patterson before each story to be so long and tedious. I much preferred Sandra Brown’s in Thriller. I read this book for the short stories and while I find a little bit of commentary interesting, I don’t need another short story telling me about the short story before I start
Bex
Mar 20, 2010 Bex rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I thought this product would be a good way to broaden my horizon of thriller writers, especially since I drive a lot and get sick of the radio. It certainly includes a lot of stories from a lot of writers, many of them famous. But I was disappointed. The stories are weak, compared to the novels of those writers I've read. One of the best stories is the first, by Lee Child, who is probably my current favorite thriller writer. Beyond that I would say there are three stories that really work out of ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I enjoyed 75% of this book.
As always some stories were better than others.
Chad Schimke
Jan 03, 2014 Chad Schimke rated it really liked it
THRILLER - How can I get a snapshot of thirty established—and, rising writers--in the thriller genre? I love to read but don’t always have as much time as I would like. That’s the phenomenal thing about Thriller, edited by James Patterson, something not seen often in publication. Sure, there are anthologies focused on single authors, examples like the Norton Anthology or the Best-of-the-Year compilations. It’s awesome to have these short stories compiled. I read one when I have time and take lon ...more
Jody
Aug 23, 2011 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I was hesitant about reading this one as James Patterson's name is on the front but once I realized it was a collection of short stories by various authors I decided to try it out. Like most books with a variety of authors sharing a short story you will find some you read just to get through the book and some you read where you wish the story would just go on. This is a good way to get introduced to some authors you have probably never even heard of. Go ahead and try it but do not be fooled by t ...more
I'll be brief: This is a 500+ book with a LOT of stories. Some of them are good, others are pretty boring, and some I had to FORCE myself to finish. If you're the type that can pick up a book of short stories and ONLY read the ones that interest you . . . . go right ahead! If you're the annoyingly anal type that has to read a book cover to cover . . . . you may want to plunge needles deep into your eyes to make it stop. There are a lot of spy/espionage thriller stories that just aren't my favori ...more
Mark Soone
Based upon my ratings I go with a 3.1....I would probably call it 3.5 just because I love short story anthologies and found this fun. I enjoyed the chance to get to read some stories by authors whom I have heard but not really read, as well as to meet characters from their mostly reknowned series. Through this collection I found some authors I will certainly check out in the future, while others I will continue to ignore. I am not sure that the title thriller is appropriate as close to half of t ...more
L8blmr
Apr 19, 2017 L8blmr rated it liked it
The good thing about an anthology is that you can read 15-20 pages and get a complete story. Some of these were so-so, others were too deep in espionage and/or politics for me, and a handful were really good page-turners. The last story, though, belonged in a horror anthology because it was creepy and scary to the extreme (and graphically violent). Why do I feel as though that's the one that's going to take up permanent residence in my mind?
Arun Divakar
Feb 12, 2017 Arun Divakar rated it it was ok
There are times when no matter how hard you press down on the accelerator, the vehicle does not seem to go any faster. The needle appears to stay stationary and you feel frustration welling up inside you. Until I finished this book, I had bucketed these feelings to the time spent on a vehicle. There is a sense of stasis that this book imparts which is hard to break free of. While occasionally there are stories which help you breathe free, most of the reading experience is like swimming in amber. ...more
Chetecut
Преди около месец издателство “Enthusiast” ни представи първия том на новия си сборник с криминални разкази - “Трилър”. В моето семейство почти всички имаме слабост към криминалния жанр и веднага купихме книгата. Мина още около седмица докато и аз успея да се добера до томчето. Когато най-накрая то се озова в ръцете ми вече знаех, че ще го изгълтам на един дъх. Затова не бързах да започна.
Насладих се на оформлението(поздравявам дизайнерите на корицата- Вихра Стоева и Лиляна Карагьозова), мириса
Candice
Oct 14, 2016 Candice added it
Shelves: 2016-2017
Candice L. Hope OBrien
October 11, 2016
English 10
Thriller by James Patterson

Author’s Background
He was born on March 22, 1947. He released 13 book in both 2012 and 2013. 14 books in 2011. His first published book was The Thomas Berryman Number which came out in 1976

Literary time period
This book was written in 2006.

Setting
“James Penney”
In Laney California, a man named James Penney is layed off after seventeen years on the duty; James burns down his house and tries to start a replacement life.
“Oper
Jan
Aug 12, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
I read a lot of short stories when my children were young and I couldn't have finished anything else and have since gotten out of the habit. "Thriller" short stories were authored by some of my favorites, Lescroart, Child, Konrath, Berry, just to name a few, which I enjoyed. I was also introduced to many authors I haven't read before, Denise Hamilton, Gregg Hurwitz, David Morrell, James Siegel, just to name a few, and will be adding to my TBR list because of it! A definite win/win situation.
Monica Willyard
Apr 28, 2014 Monica Willyard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshare, nls
Most of the stories in this anthology are excellent. I have discovered several new authors whose novels I'm eager to explore. Some of the stories have really stuck with me, making me think and ask new questions.
Tim
Jun 26, 2016 Tim rated it did not like it
I severely miss the development of novels. Short stories leave me unfulfilled. Hence, I am finished with short stories. 2 of 10 stars
Billy Maise
May 30, 2009 Billy Maise rated it liked it
A fast, entertaining collection of stories.
Well, most of them.
Inconsistency is the main flaw.
Some of the stories were tasty little morsels.
Others were little piles of poop.
Chris
Jan 27, 2016 Chris rated it it was ok
It proves that novelist shouldn't write short stories...although Steve Berry did it...
Kyle
Oct 27, 2011 Kyle rated it liked it
JAMES PENNY’S NEW IDENTITY

James Penny’s New Identity tells the story of war veteran James Penny, who is laid off from his job after 17 years. Penny acts out on his anger at being fired and is now on the run from the cops. He meets a precarious army police officer that befriends him, and helps him, yet has an even more mysterious past than his own.
At the beginning of the story, Child sets up an apathetic mood by describing the setting using short, descriptive sentences. “There was one industry in
Meredith
Narrators include: Joyce Bean, Jim Bond, Susie Breck, Mel Foster, Dick Hill, Laural Merlington, Michael Page, and Bill Weideman.

The narrators aren't identified with their stories, but some of the voices are known to me and distinctive, so in theory I could match up some of them. Also, these are skilled narrators, which is good to see, as often these short story compilations end up with only so-so narrators.

Unfortunately the quality of the stories ran from engaging to exceedingly poor.

James Pe
Michael Obiora
Feb 28, 2014 Michael Obiora rated it liked it
James Patterson’s name is cleverly splashed across the front cover of this title, luring in his fans. Sorry to disappoint all you Patterson Heads out there - this book was only EDITED by the prolific, best-selling novelist. Perhaps other prospective readers weren’t duped like myself but ultimately I’m fine with this because I enjoyed the majority of this collection of short stories.
Although all under the Thriller genre, the tales varied. Each chapter begins with an introduction (written by Patt
Sally
Oct 01, 2016 Sally is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far this volume is a huge problem. On top of an already large to-read stack, these short stories are adding authors that I want to explore. So far, with one exception, I've found the stories excellent reads with top quality writing. Generally I prefer to get into a full novel, and so I read these at intervals. But I should have known - James Patterson's recommendations - what a ride they are.
Julie
Mar 07, 2017 Julie rated it did not like it
This was a hard one to get through. Not at all what I expected, very un-thrilling. The best story was the one at the end titled 'Gone Fishing' by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.
Feb 28, 2017 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A great way to find a new author.
Jason
May 20, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, anthology
I have not ventured often into anthologies. I enjoy short stories, but I consider myself a less than enthusiastic fan of the form. I enjoy anthologies, though, because variety of authors and their styles provides an exciting template to be introduced to new writers and new niche areas of the genre I have not otherwise been exposed to yet.

After reading this compilation of thriller short stories, I have my eyes set on reading a few more authors' works in the future, including Gayle Lynds, J. A. K
Yordan Eftimov
Какво е важно за трилъра? Най-малкото – познание за живота. Или чудовищно владеене на езика. Дрън-дрън. Трилърът не е литература. Очаквам веднага някой да се обиди. Някой читател на кримки, който гледа на себе си като на културен човек. Човек, който ще бъде моментално уязвен от признаването на простата истина, че има изкуство за забавление, в което всичко е не само клиширано, ами живее от и заради клишето. Но при този тип четива има майсторски увлекателни и не толкова успешни в увличането. Както ...more
Kristin
Mar 30, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Most of these stories were written by authors whose other works I have not read but of whose names I am familiar, so I figured I'd get a small taste of their writing and maybe find a new favorite. Unfortunately, while these stories were good, there weren't any particularly memorable ones that left me with the feeling of needing to read more. One good thing was that with the exception of Alex Kava, Michael Palmer, and F. Paul Wilson, I legitimately had no idea what any of these authors tended to ...more
Mike Kazmierczak
Nov 16, 2012 Mike Kazmierczak rated it it was ok
This book was given to me by my mom who tends to read more mystery and suspense than the horror that I read. I have nothing against the thriller genre and in fact after my first love of horror, it battles with science fiction for second place. With all the well-known author names on the cover, I was looking forward to reading the collection. Unfortunately I wasn't too pleased with it.

While I thought the "gimmick" behind the book was simply a bunch of good thriller authors, there turned out to be
Michelle Plass
Jan 08, 2011 Michelle Plass rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of short thrillers! I loved the concept behind the book: Thriller writers taking a character (or more!) from their stories and creating stand-alone stories about them! Just fabulous!

My favorites:

The Face in the Window by Heathe Graham: A nice little who-dun it!

The Hunt for Dmitri by Gayle Lynds: I loved the characters in this one! I need to read more by her.

Disfigured by Michael Palmer and Daniel Palmer: Creepy, twisted, and a great all-around thriller

The Abelard Sanctio
Trisha
Jan 10, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Maak kennis met de beste misdaadauteurs ter wereld!
In dit unieke boek bundelt de crème de la crème van de Amerikaanse misdaadauteurs zijn krachten. Het resultaat van dit bijzondere project is een zeer divers overzicht van alles wat het misdaadgenre haar lezers te bieden heeft.
Naast een kennismaking met de meesters van het genre vormt Thriller ook een extraatje voor de fans van de verschillende auteurs: alle verhalen zijn speciaal voor deze bundel geschreven en niet eerder uitgebracht.
---
Thriller
Sandie
Jul 29, 2016 Sandie rated it really liked it
I used to absorb anthologies by the score because they were so easy to get through, especially if I didn't have a lot of time to sit and read for hours at a time. I am very glad my sister lent me this book. No only did it give me the opportunity to "read on the fly" so-to-speak, it also opened up a whole new list of authors I'd like to continue following.
Most of the stories were great, many made me wish they were longer works, and a few confused or frustrated me. Such is the case of a collectio
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2010
  • Fallen Flowers
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2006
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • Agents of Treachery: Never Before Published Spy Fiction from Today's Most Exciting Writers
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Scot Harvath (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath, #1)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • The Apostle (Scot Harvath, #8)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • Full Black (Scot Harvath, #10)