Start by marking “Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau

Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau (Voodoo #1)

The story of Marie Laveau, the character featured on American Horror Story: Coven.

New Orleans in the mid-nineteenth century: a potent mix of whites, Creoles, free blacks, and African slaves, a city pulsing with crowds, commerce, and an undercurrent of secret power. The source of this power is the voodoo religion, and its queen is Marie Laveau, the notorious voodooienne, wo
Published January 15th 1995 by Picador (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Dreams

Kindred by Octavia E. ButlerBeloved by Toni MorrisonParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. JemisinWild Seed by Octavia E. Butler
Speculative Fiction by Authors of Color
364th out of 401 books — 200 voters
Voodoo Dreams by Jewell Parker RhodesDark Dreams by Brandon MasseyThe House of Dies Drear by Virginia HamiltonTell My Horse by Zora Neale HurstonEvery Tongue Got to Confess by Zora Neale Hurston
Ethnic Horror
1st out of 15 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Aug 06, 2008 Jeanette "Astute Crabbist" rated it did not like it
Okay, I give up! I really really gave this one a good try. Between two libraries all they had was an unabridged audio book; no printed versions. I've been listening and telling myself it will get better, but it's not happening. Extremely bad writing!

I wanted to read this because I thought it would be interesting to learn something about Marie Laveau and her voodoo legend. I think I'd be better off seeking out a nonfiction account.
Sharonda _Isadora
Good read. This didn't wow me...I wanted it too, but it didn't. I'll say right off the back that I love the history, the story of Marie Laveau that this was all built around. I have a love for history and when a author can give me a good historical fictional story that revolves around real people, I'm hooked.

Voodoo Dreams is more of a YAish story because we get a lot of Marie when she becomes of age. I'm not much of a YA reader but because the author added this deep history about Marie to the t
Mocha Girl
Oct 13, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it it was ok
There is a legend that the infamous New Orleans native and Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau never died, that, in fact, her spirit lives on in selected female descendents, each a namesake, and Laveau's faithful are awaiting her return. Jewell Parker Rhodes (Voodoo Dreams, Douglass's Women, Magic City) births a modern day Marie in the second book of the Marie Laveau/Voodoo trilogy, Voodoo Season: a Marie Laveau Mystery.

The novel centers on first year medical resident, Marie Levant, a cum laude graduate
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jun 23, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No One
Marie Laveau was a powerful, legendary figure in 19th Century New Orleans--despite being a "woman of color" in that day and age in the South. A fascinating figure, but not a fascinating book, I think because Marie never comes into focus for me or feels convincing. This Marie is too passive, too much a victim whose fate is determined by others, and the story doesn't fit with what I know of Laveau, the daughter of a white planter and free Creole born in the French Quarter who married Jacques Paris ...more
Christina (Reading Thru The Night)
Dec 17, 2011 Christina (Reading Thru The Night) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, spooky
Voodoo Dreams is the story of Marie Laveau, but it's also the story of Maman Marie, Grandmere, and the Voudon Queen. It is about legacy, fate, and bloodline.

When we first meet Marie, she is the Voodoo Queen and through the strength of Damballah, has murdered John, her baby's father in the midst of a ritual performance in New Orleans. We get the sense that she was held prisoner by his unrelenting desire for power.

When we first meet her, she speaks out that sometimes the beginnings must start from
Sarah Carter
Jan 05, 2016 Sarah Carter rated it really liked it
First things first, this is not a horror novel. While it has elements of the supernatural certainly, it is not chills and gore.

What it is, is a superb historical novel (reminding me a lot of the works of Phillipa Gregory). The author has taken what little we know of Marie Laveau and weaved a complex story of belief, womanhood & power. Because I was expecting a darker tale (my bad), it took me a while to really bed down with this book. However it was totally worth it.

I've already got Voodoo
Alcqueline
Oct 26, 2009 Alcqueline rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this mystery. It’s a quick read. The momentum of the story picked up after the initial hospital scene. Marie Laveau may be a better detective than a doctor. She has a great gift, but is in denial about it. I love the setting in Southern Louisiana.
Katrina
Jan 06, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it
Great story! I think this was a wonderful historical novel; and I learned alot about Voodoo. I can't wait to read more from Jewell Parker Rhodes.
PJ
Mar 09, 2008 PJ rated it liked it
This book fed nicely into my longtime love affair with New Orleans.
Cathy Douglas
I started this book thinking I was going to love it, but never did finish. I felt the author's modern viewpoint stuffed Marie's. When I read historical fiction, I prefer the illusion of going back in time, not having the author on my back, pointing out the sights over my shoulder.

The book has some things going for it: the subject is fascinating, it has some feel for voodoo, and it's not bad at all for a first novel. I have a feeling this is an author who will age well.
Nicole
Jul 18, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Cried uncontrollably.
Paula
Jan 03, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
I listened to this on audio and it was interesting but as it was a novel I'm not sure how much was based on fact. I think I would like to read a book on Marie Laveau that is more non fiction.
Magpie
Jul 20, 2016 Magpie rated it liked it
Does not have reread value for me, but I think it is a must read. New Orleans is historically romanticized as a wonderful carnival, but that is not the case. It has a dark and complex history revolving around slave culture that the author portrays. I called the book sexually perverse, but even the bad guys are victims of the institution. Throw in the loss of culture and religion for imported slaves and the unfortunate relationships of the women of the Laveau family. Many readers will not like th ...more
Kathleen Valentine
Sep 14, 2010 Kathleen Valentine rated it really liked it
Dr. Jewell Parker Rhodes has a distinguished background. She is the Artistic Director for Global Engagement and the Piper Endowed Chair of the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing at Arizona State University. As an African-American woman of considerable accomplishment her perspective on Marie Laveau is considerably different from that of Francine Prose but both are equally fascinating. Rhodes' Marie Laveau is very much a woman of her times, a free black woman raised by a grandmother who ...more
Ellee
May 07, 2008 Ellee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jen
Shelves: 400-500pgs, horror
This novel by Jewell Parker Rhodes is another excellent snapshot of life in New Orleans. This book takes place before the Civil War and paints a vivid picture of the city at that time. Voodoo Dreams is a coming-of-age story wrapped up in spicy Creole Louisiana, slavery, and - of course - voodoo. It's also a self-awakening story as Marie tries to find out who she is and what her purpose in life is - which is something all of us can relate to.

I cannot stress enough what a gifted storyteller Jewell
Ingrid Jennings
Dec 09, 2012 Ingrid Jennings rated it really liked it
Today I finished reading Voodoo Dreams: A Marie Laveau Novel by Jewell Parker Rhodes. It was her first novel. Her writing is very poetic. She use a lot of description and details, as I read Voodoo Dreams, I traveled to the 1800’s and walked down the streets of New Orleans. I visited one of Marie’s rituals and was able to see the sadness and frustration in her heart. I watched her become possessed by Damballah and drop to the floor slithering like a snake. I listened to the drum man and let the m ...more
Jeri Lane
Nov 01, 2012 Jeri Lane rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book...but it was hard to get through and took me forever. I couldn't at all identify with the characters. Probably because i'm a middle aged white woman in the year 2012, but still, there should be some humanity to the characters everyone can relate to. You will not find this here. It was pretty graphic sexually and violently. The author made the book hard to read simply because the chapters all felt the same. It was redundant and sad. I wanted to feel something for Marie ...more
Jaelynn Hall
Aug 21, 2016 Jaelynn Hall rated it it was amazing
Dark & mysterious. I appreciated the toned down religious tones and the overall theme that's it's all the same. This book to me was a story of women empowerment -without being raging.
Meg
Dec 30, 2014 Meg rated it it was ok
I can't really say I enjoyed this novel, well written though it was. Even though in the end Marie Laveau (view spoiler), I still didn't understand why the author chose to take one of the most powerful witchy figures in American history and portray her as primarily a victim. Also, there was a lot of violence, including domestic and sexual violence in this book - relevant but not enjoyable.
L.
Apr 08, 2013 L. rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I love books about Voodoo and other traditions of folk magic. This book was a decent attempt to fill in the gaps of the history of Marie Laveau the Elder, legendary queen of Voodoo. Like any work of historical fiction, it has its moments of extreme prejudice. Marie and Doctor may have been friends/ lovers/ colleagues/ adversaries. It is easy to romanticize the past, especially New Orleans in the 1800s. Nonetheless, it was obvious that JPR did her research. I had this nagging feeling, though, tha ...more
Tracy
Dec 27, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historical drama lovers
This book was not what I expected, so perhaps I am being harsh in giving it 3 stars (If I could I would rate it 3.5 stars.) I was expecting a book that explained more about the voodoo religion and the strong woman who is still remembered today. This was more of a social timepiece about slavery and misogyne. I thought it was well written and about 3/4 of the way through I actually became interested in the story and stayed up late to finish it. I will not be reading the second book in the series h ...more
Katie
Oct 29, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I wish there was a "2.5 stars" option. I am fascinated with New Orleans and am very interested in its rich history, including Voodoo. I thought that this book would feed that interest, especially with Marie Laveau starring, right? Wrong. It was a read, and that is it. It had its moments, but probably not enough to win it that half of a star to let people know that I liked it instead of thinking it was just "ok." I'm going to go ahead and read the second installment, Voodoo Season to see if it is ...more
M. Pelczar
Apr 25, 2014 M. Pelczar rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the novel and Rhodes' characterization of Marie Laveau. Rhodes' lush descriptions of 19th century New Orleans indicate solid historical background and good research. I found it difficult to put the book down!
Miranda Heath
Dec 28, 2009 Miranda Heath rated it it was amazing
Maureen
Oct 16, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it
Complex, often brutal, beautiful, thought-provoking, and ultimately hopeful
Yvonne Loveday
Sep 03, 2011 Yvonne Loveday rated it really liked it
This one was a page turner, but I think it just barely makes its classification as historical fiction. Four or five of the six main characters didn't exist. One did, but has no historical connection to Marie Laveau. I don't know enough about the genre to know if that is unusual. But there was a Marie and Voudou and 19-century New Orleans--all of which made for a very compelling story. It was hard to put down at times. Next I'm reading a nonfiction about Marie Laveau to put it into perspective.
Tami Montano
Oct 31, 2012 Tami Montano rated it it was amazing
I felt an instant connection with this story as I first started in reading. The characters were so tangible and real to me as a reader. I felt what the character struggled with in the story with redemption and trying to find her true self. I love the setting of New Orleans and setting made the story that much more dramatic. Jewell Parker Rhodes is a conjurer of a good tales, I loved Hurricane as well. She certainly can weave a reader into her stories. I look forward to reading more from this aut ...more
Pudds Downing
Jan 13, 2009 Pudds Downing rated it it was ok
Wow. Who knew there were so many really revolting ways to describe sex? This could have been a very interesting book if the author had figured out that there are other words in the English language than "cock". It's unfortunate that she is, apparently, so lacking in confidence in her writing ability that she had to fall back on the old ploy of filling pages with vulgar scenes. Because when she finally got around to simply telling the story it was quite well written and intriguing.
Margaret
Feb 04, 2010 Margaret rated it really liked it
Interesting historical novel. Not the voodoo nonsense you might imagine from the title, but a fictionalized biography of a reluctant voodoo queen of the 19th century. Perspective on slavery & free blacks in New Orleans, white noblesse oblige, and a great portrayal of a business person who will stop at nothing to achieve a dream. There is corruption and redemption. A fascinating look at a time, place and society I never thought to examine.
Claudia
May 17, 2008 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical fiction readers
Recommended to Claudia by: Jade
One of my former students came into the room as I was finishing Rhodes's fictional biography of Marie Laveau, VooDoo Queen of New Orleans. When he saw the tears on my face, at first he was alarmed; then he remembered. I cry. Jewell Parker Rhodes has combined the atmosphere of my favorite city in the US with a story of strong women whose heritage reaches back to Africa. Another student read this first and recommended it.
  • Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)
  • Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers
  • Scandals
  • Voodoo in New Orleans
  • The Queen of Harlem: A Novel
  • The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square
  • Zora!: The Life of Zora Neale Hurston
  • A Bigamist's Daughter
  • Miss Nobody (Shaw Family Saga, Book 1)
  • Voodoo Queen: The Spirited Lives of Marie Laveau
  • Die Upon a Kiss (Benjamin January, #5)
  • The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2)
  • Harlem Redux
  • Salsa Nocturna: Stories
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • A Million Nightingales
  • His First Wife
  • Voodoo and Hoodoo
Jewell Parker Rhodes is the award-winning author of Voodoo Dreams, Magic City, Douglass’ Women, Season, Moon, Hurricane, and the children’s books, Ninth Ward, Sugar, and the upcoming Bayou Magic. Her writing guides include: Free Within Ourselves: Fiction Lessons for Black Authors and The African American Guide to Writing and Publishing Nonfiction.

Her work has been published in Germany, Italy, Can
More about Jewell Parker Rhodes...

Voodoo (3 books)
  • Voodoo Season
  • Yellow Moon (Voodoo, #3)

“Women hand sight down through the generations. Mother to daughter.” 5 likes