Start by marking “The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy (Ring of Bright Water, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy (Ring of Bright Water, #1-3)

The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy (Ring of Bright Water #1-3)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is the chronicle of the life of Gavin Maxwell and the domesticated otters that inhabited a landscape on the west coast of Scotland. 'Ring of Bright Water' and the remaining two parts of the story are included here.
Paperback
Published May 1st 2001 by Penguin UK (first published April 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
171st out of 851 books — 1,248 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienWatership Down by Richard AdamsAlice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Of NIMH by Seymour Reit
Nests, Dens, Lairs, Holes, Lodges, Setts
8th out of 62 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Andy
Ah, this is difficult. I had never heard of Ring of Bright Water, nor seen the film and it wasn't until I read Miriam Darlington's excellent Otter Country last year that it came onto my radar.

I was a little disappointed to discover that this collection heavily edited all 3 books. However, after reading it makes sense, condensing the story and provides some focus. It makes it hard for me to objectively rate Ring of Bright Water though, not knowing what has been cut.

I can understand why it was so
Rosamund Noll
Wm
I saw the movie as a child and was traumatized. I came across the book last year, and could not put it down. It is odd. It is idiosyncratic. It is very Scottish. Everyone should read this book.
Mona
I first read Ring of Bright Water in high school, as a Reader's Digest Condensed Book. Then I came upon the trilogy (I had not known until recently that there were two other books).

It is British naturalist Gavin Maxwell's memoir of life at his beloved home Camusfearna, shared with the otters that made it famous. His style of writing is from an earlier generation, full of long rhapsodic sentences describing his environment. When he writes about his otters it is with charm, and later, with the kee
Andy Ritchie
Amusing, bizarre, tragic, heart-warming...
I could go on and on with the adjectives to describe this trilogy of books.
The whole saga is simply an extraordinary tale of what many would view as an obsession undertaken in the most beautiful yet basic of environments.
Maxwell himself, and the characters that come into and out of the pages (human and non-human) are brought vividly to life through their triumphs and through their failings.
Quite brilliant.
Oscar

"The Ring of Bright Water" is by far the best book that I have ever read, and the trilogy is the best series that I have ever read! I would recommend this book to everyone, six stars! I recommend that you don't watch the film first though, because it's not great and may put you off the book. Or, it might make the book seem better. Anyway, read this book!
Kathy
If you want to take a trip to the area of the Herbredes Islands of western Scotland and experience vicariously what it is like to live with an otter, realizing quickly that you'd never do it for real, then this is the book for you. Beautiful nature writing in this autobiographical look at an eccentric but interesting man.
Mairead
Thoroughly enjoyed the first and third books - middle one a little weak. Love the amusement of the otters in the first one and the honesty of the writing throughout. Maxwell's mental instability comes through more and more as the books progress. Would read more of his again.
Bob Crickard
I found the prose to be some of the most descriptive I have ever read despite the book being an account of one disaster after another. It was certainly not an uplifting or optimistic work. Nevertheless, it fully deserved the acclaim it achieved shortly after publication.
New Rose Images
Re-read the first section - Ring of Bright Water - with a new appreciation, as that part of Scotland has become quite well known to me, though I have never visited the actual spot. Think I will leave the rest for another day, but ROBW is highly recommended.
John
The story is wonderful although I found it a little tedious at times. The imagery is excellent, the tale a bit sad at times, but the issue with this version is that it is highly edited and incomplete. I need to search for an older copy.
Mel
Great tale of a life with river otters as companions. Lots of trials and tribulations associated with caring for wild animals...certainly not the fluffy image I had in mind before I read the book.
Holly Weiss
The Scottish Highlands. Maxwell's home, Camusfaera, is no longer there, but the spirit of the highlands lives on!
Bethany
Sep 07, 2013 Aileen added it
Shelves: abandoned
abandoned
Stephanie Hannah
Stephanie Hannah marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
John R
John R marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Edie
Edie added it
Apr 26, 2015
Diane Challenor
Diane Challenor marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Biganderz
Biganderz marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Bridget Weller
Bridget Weller marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
  • Two Towns in Provence
  • Natural Obsessions: The Search for the Oncogene
  • Manhattan, when I Was Young
  • Aman: The Story of a Somali Girl
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • Shell Games: Rogues, Smugglers, and the Hunt for Nature's Bounty
  • Red Sky at Sunrise: Cider with Rosie; As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning; A Moment of War
  • The Snoring Bird: My Family's Journey Through a Century of Biology
  • Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag
  • Fourth Uncle in the Mountain: The Remarkable Legacy of a Buddhist Itinerant Doctor in Vietnam
  • Russian Journal
  • Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson
  • The Living Mountain
  • Raising Ourselves: A Gwitch'in Coming of Age Story from the Yukon River
193021
Gavin Maxwell was born in Scotland in 1914 to Lieutenant-Colonel Aymer Maxwell and Lady Mary Percy, whose father was the seventh Duke of Northumberland. After serving in the Second World War as an instructor with the Special Operations Executive, he purchased the Isle of Soay in the Inner Hebrides, where he attempted to establish a shark fishery. In 1956 he travelled to the Tigris Basin in Souther ...more
More about Gavin Maxwell...

Ring of Bright Water (3 books)
  • Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1)
  • The Rocks Remain
  • Raven, Seek Thy Brother (Ring of Bright Water, #3)
Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1) The Rocks Remain Raven, Seek Thy Brother (Ring of Bright Water, #3) A Reed Shaken by the Wind: Travels among the Marsh Arabs of Iraq Lords of the Atlas: The Rise and Fall of the House of Glaoua, 1893-1956