Start by marking “Hats off for the Fourth of July” as Want to Read:
Hats off for the Fourth of July

Hats off for the Fourth of July

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This is one small town parade readers shouldn't miss! It starts with music and drums. What will come next? Cowboys on horseback? The baseball team? The fire engine? Or Miss Eelgrass with the green hair? And when the parade's over and the streets start to clear, another spectacle is waiting up in the sky.
Published May 27th 2002 by Puffin (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hats off for the Fourth of July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hats off for the Fourth of July

Matthew
I picked this one up because it was sitting next to something I wanted at the library and I thought, "Why not?" I don't see a lot of books about Independence Day and this was just light and easy to read that might be good for fun on the holiday. It has a recurring scaffold at the beginning that begins to change slightly as you move through the story. Nice book for young audiences.
Judith
Jun 21, 2015 Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
We loved this book! It's very rhythmic, so I bounced my knee as he sat on my lap, and I read it with a beat, adding a "music & drum" or "boom ... boom" to fill in the beats while I turned each page.

My only caveat (why does every book have one?) is that Miss Eelgrass (featured mermaid on float) is not dressed too modestly.

Naomi
May 27, 2015 Naomi rated it did not like it
Mediocre. There was nothing that stood out about this book. Text was "rhyming" with some repetitiveness, but there was really no warmth to this book at all.
Nichole
This is a big hit with Connie thanks to the motorcycles.
Kyle Greenberg
Hats off for the Fourth of July is a book that could be used to introduce the national holiday. Students could learn about what a 4th of July parade is like and what happens when it is over, which is fireworks. Teachers could also use this book to teach students about sequence of events and historical fiction, as it relates to the real life national holiday.
Jul 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Both of my storytime groups loved it!
Teri
Jul 06, 2012 Teri rated it did not like it
Shelves: 4th-of-july
BLAH
Terra
Terra added it
Feb 25, 2016
Elaine Conway
Elaine Conway marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Austin Patterson
Austin Patterson rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Michele Olson
Michele Olson rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it liked it
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Library
Library rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2015
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Our Children
Our Children rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Abby
Abby added it
Jan 13, 2015
Capitola Anderson
Capitola Anderson rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2015
Kate Buechler
Kate Buechler rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Misty Wright
Misty Wright rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...