Backs To The Wall: A Larrikin On The Western Front

Backs To The Wall: A Larrikin On The Western Front

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Originally published in 1937 (and long out of print), this is a gripping, first hand account of a young soldier's experiences in France and Belgium during the First World War.
Published by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published April 1st 2007)

'Aussie Rick'

This book covers the World War One experiences of George Deane Mitchell, a private in the 48th Battalion, 1st A.I.F. This is a great account of one man's front-line duty between 1916-1918. It’s a pretty good read and strangely enough before reading this book I had not previously heard about George Deane Mitchell. I looked him up on the Internet and this is what I found:

"He served at Gallipoli from 25 April 1915 until he was evacuated with enteric fever on 6 August. Rejoining his battalion on 9...more
Sharon
Books about the Great War are not supposed to be funny, but G.D. Mitchell's Backs to the Wall had me laughing out loud at times. This man was not only a larrikin but had a wonderful way to tell a story. Sometimes to his own detriment.

Then there were times he had me in tears, the raw emotion of losing his best friend being one of those times. He put in actual excerpts from his diary at times to illustrate what he was actually writing.

Taken at face value, some of his antics were nothing to make a...more
Cardinal Biggles
Cardinal Biggles marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Finding Fifth
Finding Fifth marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Teganbuckley
Teganbuckley marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Jodie Smith
Jodie Smith is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2009
Gabriele Wills
Gabriele Wills marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2009
Rcha   Right Of The Line: An Anecdotal History Of The Royal Canadian Horse Artillery From 1871