The Tao of Muhammad Ali

The Tao of Muhammad Ali

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Trade Paperback
Published September 28th 1999 by Three Rivers Press (first published 1996)

K
One of the best books I've ever read, this is as good as any novel. Such powerful and beautiful writing not only about Ali but about bullying and growing up with only one parent and overcoming numerous obstacles. This is one I'll keep and read again.
Paul
This was an homage to "The Greatest" and one of my idols. I learned that Davis Miller has at least equal and maybe greater adoration and reverence for Ali than I. I wasn't sure that was possible.
David Mclean
Best book ever about Muhammad Ali. And even if you don't like Ali you'll love this. What it reminds me of more than anything else is The Great Gatsby with Davis Miller as Nick Carraway and Ali as Gatsby. Beautiful and important writing that isn't like any other book I've read. Also very inspiring.

I bought the book last summer at the Kennedy Center from Davis Miller who signed it. He was there because of an opera titled Approaching Ali that's based on the book. I would never have known about the...more
Juls
I have always been intrigued by Muhammad Ali. The man who had great flair in the boxing ring and loved to proclaim himself as "The Greatest" spoke more with his strong convictions, kind actions and loving soul than any words could express. I enjoyed every minute of this book.
I LOVED this book. What a fascinating, generous, dynamic person. I had no idea how amazing his life was, beyond his boxing career!
Davis Miller
Just found goodreads for the first time. Happy that readers like my book TAO OF MUHAMMAD ALI. I'm presently working on a follow-up titled APPROACHING ALI. Please don't hesitate to leave comments. I'll be honored to reply.

All best, Davis
Jamie Clubb
It’s hard not to start this review with some trite clichéd truism like “Muhammad Ali is undeniably the most famous and celebrated sports personality of the last century”. I don’t know why the man’s name hasn’t just become a part of the English language to define a living legend. Ali’s life story seems to be a model for a mythological hero in any country’s culture – the hero is a figure of masculine dominance; he’s fighter, but he is also a spiritual leader, a political leader, a man who stood up...more
Debby
I actually picked this book up--had to order via an Amazon reseller in the UK, as it doesn't seem to be available here!--for one reason. I wanted to read The Tao of Bruce Lee, by this same author, and within the first few pages, he had already mentioned his history with Muhammad Ali a couple of times. Being a bit OCD about reading stuff in order--although in this case, I assumed that the Bruce Lee volume would be free standing (and it probably is!)--I set aside Bruce Lee and determined that I'd...more
Damian Tibbs
Easy to appreciate as an Ali fan.
Mattparryyahoo.com
The book is a biography of the life of author Davis Miller and not of Muhammad Ali as one might first think. It follows his life from high school to the near present day and details his growing fascination with "The Greatest" from his childhood. The book centres mainly around the author's life changing events and how Ali influenced them or pulled him through them. It ends with Miller meeting Ali, which prompted him to write his award winning story "My Dinner With Ali", and how he came to be good...more
RK Byers
peaked high and then kinda dragged. i wonder if Davis Miller ever realized (and I'm sure he did) that despite doing it for the noble cause of feeding his family, he was just another in the line of people "using" Ali.
Martin
Not what I expected when I picked up this book... but still an interesting read.
Owen Scott Verde
Part of my "Books Read" list I found while moving/unpacking.
Rah~ri
i did enjoy reading it at the time.
Mike Riley
Mike Riley is currently reading it
May 01, 2014
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Bryant Evans
Bryant Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Davis Miller is an American author notable for a series of works combining reportage and autobiography. His most famous works are The Tao of Muhammad Ali, and The Tao of Bruce Lee, both critically acclaimed bestsellers in the United Kingdom and Japan.
More about Davis Miller...
The Tao of Bruce Lee: A Martial Arts Memoir The Zen of Muhammed Ali Journey to the Center of the Earth (Graphic Novel) The War of the Worlds. by H.G. Wells Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)