Start by marking “Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians, #1)

Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,724 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
In the midst of fresh grief and unfamiliar surroundings, Kaitlin, the Donovans' oldest daughter, must face life in rugged California. Will the men of this restless country take advantage of her innocence? Will she recognize God's unexpected gift of love? Can she keep her family safe until her father returns? Grief turns to triumph and innocence to maturity as Kaitlin lifts ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Tomorrow Brings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Tomorrow Brings

Teresa Snyder
Jun 19, 2012 Teresa Snyder rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that makes you cry; not because it's sad, but because it's so sweet. It's the first of a four book series. I'm thankful that I did not stumble upon this author, or series, until all the books were released. I enjoy going straight to the next book without having to wait months in between books. Well worth the read.
Karijean31
Oct 16, 2010 Karijean31 rated it liked it
I love Lori wick's Christian novels. They are a lot of fun to read. The characters always learn something religious and change and grow. It is a fun journey.
Jerry
Oct 19, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
A very sweet, emotionally charged story. Loved it!
Haley *Books, Boys, Baking, and Horses*
This book was literally one of my favorite book ever two years ago. Whenever I was sick, I read it. Whenever I felt like a romance, I read it. Well, I still read it.
Seriously, a few years ago I read like every single Lori Wick book. I missed only a few but that is because my sisters said they weren't as good.
There actually is another book that I would say is my favorite Lori Wick book. Ever heard of Every Storm? Well, if not, read it. It is amazing. But I am not reviewing that book right now.
O
L
Jul 31, 2012 L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is the first of four in the Californians series. As always, Lori Wick did a great job of combining history ad culture with a spiritually moving love story. Beginning in Hawaii, it begins with the journey of three young people whose missionaries are serving in Japan. When their Mom dies during a furlough to California, each of the children grow up quickly and develop new lives, both on the mainland and in their relationship to God. Ready to track down the second one in the series, As Tim ...more
Leah (packfan20)
I was annoyed that the author kept switching between "Kaitlin, Katie and Kate", sometimes even within the same sentence. Pick a name!

(view spoiler)
Tabitha
Jan 23, 2012 Tabitha rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this book. It was amazing! I have reread it quite a few times. I love the story. A great book that kept me reading. Loved it!
Larry Holshu
Feb 22, 2012 Larry Holshu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Excellent book. A must read for anyone who likes romance. A breath of fresh air. A good story with no foul language-wonderful. Lori Wick is a smart, intelligent story teller.
Charity U
May 05, 2011 Charity U rated it it was amazing
This one and "Sean Donovan" were my favorites. :) Highly recommended, they're very good.
Alysa Farrell
Mar 18, 2017 Alysa Farrell rated it liked it
While this book was a nice and pleasant read...I feel the editors dropped the ball. Kaitlin, Katie, Kate was referred to by all three names sometimes one right after another, there was no consistency, to the point at first I was confused thinking that Kaitlin and Kate were two different people!

Once you get past the names, it's a sweet story and an easy read!
Sarah Messenger
Aug 28, 2015 Sarah Messenger rated it it was ok
Julie Graves
Kaitlin's parents are missionaries in Hawaii. Kaitlin, Sean and Marcail have never been off of the island. For Kaitlin's 20th birthday her parents surprise her with tickets for the whole family to go home to San Francisco, California.

Once they arrive at their Aunt Maureen's in San Francisco the Donovan children find that this is not just a vacation trip. Their mom is very ill and needs to see a doctor. When events happen that have their father returning to Hawaii and leaving Kaitlin, Sean and Ma
Barbara
This first book in the Californian's series is an easy, enjoyable read, perhaps closer to a 3.5 for me. The main characters, Marshall Riggs and Kaitlin Donovan, are two people I ended up caring about, and the historical setting of San Francisco and Santa Rose, California seemed interesting and well-researched. Also, Salvation is presented very clearly. There were a couple of things that bothered me a little bit and prevented it from being rated higher: As a reader, I love Christian historical fi ...more
Louise
Aug 14, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing
Book #1 of "The Californians" series.

Lori Wick is a new author for me, but I absolutely love her stories and her writing style. Her novels are very tender, sweet, easy to read, and always leave you with a message.

"San Francisco, 1871. As the Donovans step off the clipper onto the brick-lined streets of San Francisco, the wind holds no hint that their lives are about to change forever.

After a devastating tragedy, Kaitlin, the oldest daughter, must face life in rugged California. Will the men of t
Kaleigh
Sep 16, 2012 Kaleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
Whatever Tomorrow Brings is a sweet story and I enjoyed it for the most part. My only problems were that when the characters talked to one another it sounded fake and almost cheesy at times. I've never heard anyone talk like that. Obviously it wasn't bad enough to make me stop reading, but it was still annoying. I also think it was kind of silly how the main character went from 'Kaitlin' to 'Katie' to 'Kate' all within the same paragraph. I would understand if her full name was 'Kaitlin' but she ...more
Beth
Mar 26, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Somehow, reading Lori Wick and reading certain Maeve Binchy are very similar experiences for me. Set my brain to ignore stylistic/conventional annoyances, escape into another time or place, become very emotionally involved in characters' lives, and read until I'm finished. Promptly feel like picking up another book by the same author and either A) having a baby (Lori Wick) or B) visiting Ireland (Maeve Binchy). I do appreciate the Christian themes in Wick's novels, though of course I often wish ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
In 1871, Kaitlin Riggs finds herself having to care for her brother and sister. The trio land in Santa Rosa, California where she meets Marshall Riggs. She isn't at all interested in the man even though he falls for her at first site. This is a predictable but fun Christian romance.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Donna Gregory
This is the first book of a series titled "The Californians". I love this book but then I am especially fond of books written in the 1800 years period. If this is your fav reading genre, you will enjoy this book. About different members of a family as they grow, fall in love and marry. Has the usual heartaches to go along with the story but is based on Faith. Hope all of you enjoy it as much as I did. Now, on to the second book!
AlixJamie
Jun 13, 2010 AlixJamie rated it it was ok
Since I read the second and third book of this series before I read this one, I viewed it more as a missing piece to a puzzle than an individual book. Again, Lori Wick has created an impossibly beautiful and overly sweet heroine for her main character. There were also some moments when I was cringing over the tackiness of a certain scene or conversation. But aside from these details, it is still a worthwhile read.
Ogz
Sep 01, 2012 Ogz rated it liked it

I didn't enjoy the beginning as much but I love the concept. It's quite an engaging story, though, I'd prefer it to be more real.. Some bits are not so good. Some areas quite predictable. It's not my best book so far but it's a really good one.
I love the story... I'd have preferred the preacher's sermon to have been highlighted not every word given in the story. Some trivialities included. I'll read more from Lori Wick.
Karen & Gerard
I liked it. It’s a Christian romance about family and hospitality. Three siblings whose mother died after moving to California from Hawaii and whose father went back to mission work in Hawaii but left kids in the states with the intent to join them later have to make it on their own with the help of Christian friends. Katie, the oldest, gets a teaching job and takes care of her teen brother Sean and little sister, Marcail,
Judine
Jul 16, 2008 Judine rated it really liked it
For a change, it took me a few chapters to get into this one, but by chapter 10, I was hooked. However, I think this was one where it might have been better to "pick up in the middle." I'd have liked the Donovans to be mysterious to us as readers when they come to town, rather than know about them right away. This is one series which could better utilize flashbacks.
Nellie
Jul 12, 2011 Nellie rated it really liked it
Kaitlin lives with her parents and siblings in Hawaii as missionary children. They move to Ca. and she meets Riggs and is instantly wondering what these new feelings are. As always. Wick writes a compelling story. She is a little on the preachy side, but the stories are always clean and fun. I thought the characters were well developed, and I will definitely read the sequeils.
sarah
Sep 12, 2008 sarah rated it it was amazing
I really don't get into this type of book, the romance novel, Christian or not, but these kept my attention and were highly recommended one summer by my mother. They are excellent and about more than romance. They are about a family's struggles and real life journey with God. I tried to read others and never got through them. These are the best.
Chaya & Cinnamon
Oct 29, 2015 Chaya & Cinnamon rated it it was amazing
Beautiful romance and plenty of emotion as well as faith. It kept my interest and I was anxious to see what happened next. The main characters all feel like real people and I care about them. That's really important to me. I'm glad there are more books in the series and not just one story!
Lisa Baudler
Jun 28, 2014 Lisa Baudler rated it it was amazing
If Lori Wick writes it... I'm gonna read it and this is the book that got me started I checked it out 3 times from the library before I bought it just to read it again and then I read the rest of the series which is just as great!
Jenny Hintz
Jan 22, 2008 Jenny Hintz rated it it was amazing
This series was really good. I couldn't put it down and pretty much read a book a day from the series. I learned that as a parent, sometimes your influence can't be replaced by someone else's. Also how the power of love can affect people.
Rianna Rowsell
Mar 22, 2016 Rianna Rowsell rated it really liked it
A lovely, gentle story, that speaks of God in a way that doesn't make me cringe. The characters are really relatable, which isn't always the case in Christian fiction. I also picked up some dating tips, and learnt new things about the Bible.
Kim
Jun 19, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
My first but certainly not last book by this author. I love the romance that's clean and filled with references to life depending on and revolving around a relationship with God. This book was a quick read but I feel in love with the family and the rest of the series was better book by book!
Natalya
Oct 28, 2013 Natalya rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. It kept me up all night. I couldn't find a single place where I could put it down, and not wonder about what happens next.
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • Wall of Fire (The Appomattox Saga, #7)
  • A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, #3)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

The Californians (4 books)
  • As Time Goes By (The Californians, #2)
  • Sean Donovan (The Californians, #3)
  • Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)

“If something upset her, she usually talked about it or cried and then got on the road to getting over it or changing it. … Kate had a tendency to bury her hurts deep inside and when they tried to rear their ugly heads, she effectively pushed them right back down. Kate gave the appearance of handling upsets well, when in actuality she did not handle them at all.” 5 likes