Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians, #1)

Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,998 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Lori Wick�s bestselling series The Californians (more than 500,000 copies sold) has a fresh new cover design to delight avid Lori Wick fans and readers just introduced to Lori�s belove
Published March 1st 2007 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 1st 1992)

Teresa Snyder
This is one of those books that makes you cry; not because it's sad, but because it's so sweet. It's the first of a four book series. I'm thankful that I did not stumble upon this author, or series, until all the books were released. I enjoy going straight to the next book without having to wait months in between books. Well worth the read.
L
This one is the first of four in the Californians series. As always, Lori Wick did a great job of combining history ad culture with a spiritually moving love story. Beginning in Hawaii, it begins with the journey of three young people whose missionaries are serving in Japan. When their Mom dies during a furlough to California, each of the children grow up quickly and develop new lives, both on the mainland and in their relationship to God. Ready to track down the second one in the series, As Tim...more
Larry Holshu
Excellent book. A must read for anyone who likes romance. A breath of fresh air. A good story with no foul language-wonderful. Lori Wick is a smart, intelligent story teller.
Karijean31
I love Lori wick's Christian novels. They are a lot of fun to read. The characters always learn something religious and change and grow. It is a fun journey.
Tabitha
I absolutely adored this book. It was amazing! I have reread it quite a few times. I love the story. A great book that kept me reading. Loved it!
Charity U
This one and "Sean Donovan" were my favorites. :) Highly recommended, they're very good.
Julie Graves
Kaitlin's parents are missionaries in Hawaii. Kaitlin, Sean and Marcail have never been off of the island. For Kaitlin's 20th birthday her parents surprise her with tickets for the whole family to go home to San Francisco, California.

Once they arrive at their Aunt Maureen's in San Francisco the Donovan children find that this is not just a vacation trip. Their mom is very ill and needs to see a doctor. When events happen that have their father returning to Hawaii and leaving Kaitlin, Sean and Ma...more
Mark Baker
In 1871, Kaitlin Riggs finds herself having to care for her brother and sister. The trio land in Santa Rosa, California where she meets Marshall Riggs. She isn't at all interested in the man even though he falls for her at first site. This is a predictable but fun Christian romance.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Louise
Book #1 of "The Californians" series.

Lori Wick is a new author for me, but I absolutely love her stories and her writing style. Her novels are very tender, sweet, easy to read, and always leave you with a message.

"San Francisco, 1871. As the Donovans step off the clipper onto the brick-lined streets of San Francisco, the wind holds no hint that their lives are about to change forever.

After a devastating tragedy, Kaitlin, the oldest daughter, must face life in rugged California. Will the men of t...more
Kim
My first but certainly not last book by this author. I love the romance that's clean and filled with references to life depending on and revolving around a relationship with God. This book was a quick read but I feel in love with the family and the rest of the series was better book by book!
Lisa Baudler
If Lori Wick writes it... I'm gonna read it and this is the book that got me started I checked it out 3 times from the library before I bought it just to read it again and then I read the rest of the series which is just as great!
Beth
Somehow, reading Lori Wick and reading certain Maeve Binchy are very similar experiences for me. Set my brain to ignore stylistic/conventional annoyances, escape into another time or place, become very emotionally involved in characters' lives, and read until I'm finished. Promptly feel like picking up another book by the same author and either A) having a baby (Lori Wick) or B) visiting Ireland (Maeve Binchy). I do appreciate the Christian themes in Wick's novels, though of course I often wish...more
Tasha
I so enjoyed reading this book!
Karen & Gerard
I liked it. It’s a Christian romance about family and hospitality. Three siblings whose mother died after moving to California from Hawaii and whose father went back to mission work in Hawaii but left kids in the states with the intent to join them later have to make it on their own with the help of Christian friends. Katie, the oldest, gets a teaching job and takes care of her teen brother Sean and little sister, Marcail,
Ogz

I didn't enjoy the beginning as much but I love the concept. It's quite an engaging story, though, I'd prefer it to be more real.. Some bits are not so good. Some areas quite predictable. It's not my best book so far but it's a really good one.
I love the story... I'd have preferred the preacher's sermon to have been highlighted not every word given in the story. Some trivialities included. I'll read more from Lori Wick.
AlixJamie
Since I read the second and third book of this series before I read this one, I viewed it more as a missing piece to a puzzle than an individual book. Again, Lori Wick has created an impossibly beautiful and overly sweet heroine for her main character. There were also some moments when I was cringing over the tackiness of a certain scene or conversation. But aside from these details, it is still a worthwhile read.
Leah (packfan20)
I was annoyed that the author kept switching between "Kaitlin, Katie and Kate", sometimes even within the same sentence. Pick a name!

(view spoiler)
Nellie
Kaitlin lives with her parents and siblings in Hawaii as missionary children. They move to Ca. and she meets Riggs and is instantly wondering what these new feelings are. As always. Wick writes a compelling story. She is a little on the preachy side, but the stories are always clean and fun. I thought the characters were well developed, and I will definitely read the sequeils.
Judine
For a change, it took me a few chapters to get into this one, but by chapter 10, I was hooked. However, I think this was one where it might have been better to "pick up in the middle." I'd have liked the Donovans to be mysterious to us as readers when they come to town, rather than know about them right away. This is one series which could better utilize flashbacks.
sarah
I really don't get into this type of book, the romance novel, Christian or not, but these kept my attention and were highly recommended one summer by my mother. They are excellent and about more than romance. They are about a family's struggles and real life journey with God. I tried to read others and never got through them. These are the best.
Jenny Hintz
This series was really good. I couldn't put it down and pretty much read a book a day from the series. I learned that as a parent, sometimes your influence can't be replaced by someone else's. Also how the power of love can affect people.
Marielle
A refreshing book with faith in it. I haven't read a "christian author" like this before and I enjoyed reading from another perspective. After the beginning, the book was fairly predictable though.
Lorraine
I love this book and the series from which its in. It always draws me nearer to God and makes me think about how I live my life. Lori Wick is an exceptional writer : )
Francie
this was ok. Held my interest but nothing very exciting. One of those religious preachy books. Oh my goodness some one tried to kiss her. LOL.
Jan Graves
This was the first book by Lori Wick that I ever read. I love her Christian romances. The characters are so believable and have Christian morals.
Natalya
This book was really good. It kept me up all night. I couldn't find a single place where I could put it down, and not wonder about what happens next.
Jenica
One of my favorite authors. This one I can tell is definitely one of her earlier ones since it doesn't draw you in as quick.
Michele
Good book, it definetly got me hooked on the series & the rest of the books in this series are linked to these families.
Joy
ive read this book many times. each time i read it i still love it and it never gets old.
Awakening
This book was really cool! I liked how the author gave the characters a real type of personality.
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West Series, #6)
  • Montana Rose (Montana Marriages, #1)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Protector (O'Malley #4)
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...
The Princess Sophie's Heart The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles #1) Pretense Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles #2)

“If something upset her, she usually talked about it or cried and then got on the road to getting over it or changing it. … Kate had a tendency to bury her hurts deep inside and when they tried to rear their ugly heads, she effectively pushed them right back down. Kate gave the appearance of handling upsets well, when in actuality she did not handle them at all.” 3 likes