Start by marking “S Is For Space” as Want to Read:
S Is For Space

S Is For Space

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,326 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
S is for science fiction, spine-tingling, supernatural and sublime! S is for stories from a "Star Wilderness that stretched as far as eye and mind could see and imagine".

Chrysalis
The Smile
Dark Tey Were, and Golden-Eyed
The
Mass Market Paperback, 211 pages
Published March 1st 1978 by Bantam Science Fiction (first published August 1966)

To ask other readers questions about S Is For Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S Is For Space

Catherine Siemann
Jun 09, 2012 Catherine Siemann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few years ago, I reread The Martian Chronicles, and wished I hadn't, because the best book in the world when you're in seventh grade isn't necessarily the best book in the world when you're in your forties. However, with Bradbury's death the other day, and all the tributes I've been seeing, I've been curious to reread some more. I found S is for Space on my shelves. The title is a misnomer, as most of its stories are actually firmly earthbound, but it's a collection which includes many of my o ...more
Raj
Feb 22, 2010 Raj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
This collection of short stories was a companion piece to R is for Rocket which I read last year and adored. I found this cheap on Ebay and was really looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, I came away somewhat disappointed. This is almost the antithesis of Rocket in that where that book looked to the future joyously and used the rocket as a symbol of exploration and freedom, this book feels dystopian, and almost bitter and anti-scientific in a way. I wondered if it was because of when th ...more
Mariam
Aug 20, 2013 Mariam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I repeat: do not read it. Just because Bradbury wrote it, doesn't mean that it will be as great as Fahrenheit 451. It is only my opinion after all, but I suffered through every short story and I really dreaded having to read another one. A little bit of a disappointment, Ray.
Hester
A mixed bag, where the best stories soar, but some fall flat under the weight of the author's idees fixes. The collection starts with the perfectly fine "Chrysalis," followed by the brilliant and flawed "Pillar of Fire." It introduces a theme repeated throughout the book. Bradbury writes disturbing stories set in 'utopian' futures and hopeful ones set in post-apocalyptic futures.

Interestingly, "Zero Hour" presages Betty Friedan. I find this funny as some of the other stories have pontificating h
Monika
Jan 14, 2013 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about "S is for Space" from Lianne at The Towering Pile. I've been wanting to read more sci-fi - I mean, I love watching sci-fi, and obviously I love reading... but when it comes to sci-fi books, I'm so picky! Reading Lianne's review, as well as having read and liked "Fahrenheit 451," I was pretty sure this would be a good match for me.

It's important to remember that this collection of short stories was published in 1966. The role of women in these stories continues to portray a 19
Magdelanye
Jul 11, 2011 Magdelanye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ray Bradbury is a master of atmosphere, and this book of short stories is no exception to his evocative, provocative style.This collection is not as thematic as most of his books that I have read, as he says in the introduction, expressing every side of his enthusiastic, empathic nature. I especially like his Martian stories and his treatment of children and the other. Bradbury is far more than a yarn-spinner, and his exploration of space includes inner as well as outer.
There was a story I was
Nissanmama
Feb 21, 2016 Nissanmama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the book that made me fall in love with science fiction.
Samuel Blondahl
Sep 25, 2014 Samuel Blondahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. This kind of short fiction is a wonderful thing to fall into, and I am very glad I picked it up. While any sci-fi from such a long time ago can seem strange to a modern reader, there is an immortal quality to Bradbury's writing that still resonates and rivets attention. His characters are emotive and vivid, and the scenes he writes are alive with rich detail. As a sci-fi writer myself, I consider this kind of work to be extremely important, I hope others pick this up as a means o ...more
Joel Julian
Fahrenheit 451 was my first experience of Bradbury and I found it to be a good read; Something Wicked This Way Comes was my second and I found it to be both ridiculous, pretentious and, at times, poorly written. S Is For Space is a short story collection which touches both ends of the spectrum. There's the good, the bad and the worth reading. I've decided I don't much like Bradbury's style as a writer, and even in the good stories I found myself rolling my eyes at his quirks and whimsy, but ther ...more
Stephanie Scelza
again, awesome, but superfluous, partly because they share the same themes, and partly because they print the same stories in many of his short story collections.
Jonathan Moore
Jul 29, 2012 Jonathan Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of my favorite Bradbury short stories are in this one. Makes me want to get under the covers with a flashlight and stay up all night!
Frank Taranto
Early Bradbury short stories. Bradbury is a master of mood.
Chris Cano
Dec 03, 2009 Chris Cano rated it it was amazing
Fucking awesome short stories. Andrew Bond should read this.
David Wei
In retrospect, had difficulties to enjoy the book. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to Bradbury's style?

Struggled while reading the stories that emphasized that parents don't pay attention to whatever their kids say. But hey! maybe parents in the 40's/50's were like that so quite hard for a 20th century kid to find it believable.

Would still recommend the book since I enjoyed the chrysalis and the pedestrian stories but would still warn the reader that he might find it difficult to read.
Ryan
Dec 04, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book about a year or more ago, hearing the short story “The Pedestrian” referenced somewhere in my readings/teachings about “The Giver,” which I teach. I found it used for a penny so I bought it. I read a story here and a story there over the past year, and to be honest – maybe this sounds blasphemous with Bradbury recently deceased, not to mention all the awards he’s won over the years – I thought the whole thing was pretty much a waste of time. Many of the stories can be read in ...more
K. Axel
Aug 01, 2013 K. Axel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
This is a review-in-progress, which means that I will review the stories as I read them.

I should probably say that I have no real knowledge of Ray Bradbury's writing as I have only read one or two of his shortstories and none of them have (for some reason) made a lasting impression on me.

Chrysalis (24 pages) is the story about a man who is undergoing a strange transformation into... something else. The story mostly follow the three men who takes care of him as he transforms. The story is well-
David Allen
A 1966 collection that, like "R is for Rocket," was aimed at the young adult market, this one has 17 stories, of which four had not been previously reprinted. Gathering such classics as "The Pedestrian" and "The Flying Machine," and with three stories -- "The Screaming Woman," "Zero Hour" and "Come Into My Cellar" -- about grownups not listening to children, sometimes at their peril, this is a decent overview of Bradbury's work.
Janith Pathirage
This is only about the short story "The Screening Woman". It was a different story from your average reading. Mystery with some sense of humor. I liked the originality of this tale but it was not a very thought provoking story by any means. So Im generous giving it 3 stars. Looking forward to read more of Ray Bradbury.
Charles
Feb 29, 2012 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-gone
I left this book on a bus, but eventually got it back. So, it took be several months to finish this. But, they're short stories, so I didn't lose the point, really.

Mostly disappointed. Some of the stories were good. When he started talking about rocket technology, the stories came across pretty dated. So, I like his fantasy stuff more than his SF stuff. Fantasy doesn't really get "dated", unless it reflects outdated ideas, like racism.

Bradbury does a really good job with child characters. Captur
Chris
Dec 28, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed a good number of the stories in here, though the first two are kind of clunkers. Bradbury always surprises me with the directions he takes his stories and the strange messages he writes into them. And then, at other times, the stories are total pulp. It's kind of a toss-up, but it's fun reading.
Mister Misfortune
My copy is almost completely ruined. I cherish this collection of wonderful short stories. Bradbury has a way of covering ludicrous ideas in overwhelming amounts of reality, and he does it so well that you almost can't tell the difference.
Ramona
I was excited to see older Ray Bradbury books in our library. so often older books are put in the library book sale. I have read quite a bit of Bradbury, the typical ones...Fahrenheit 451...second guessing myself on title!!!, etc. But, I truly enjoyed delving into his older works. He is a genius for knowing decades ago, how life might turn out technology wise. It is too bad the scientific invention didn't evolve as quickly. Where are our personal flying cars, fueled by solar power? Controlled we ...more
Melissa
Jun 24, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of short stories, but a little uneven in quality. Some of them are actually Martian chronicles.
Lisa Mazzei
I found this collection of short stories an easy read. I prefer R is for Rocket, which I read over 20 years ago, and re-read more recently.
Jude
Mar 06, 2015 Jude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Again, Bradbury impressed me. Even though I've already a couple of these short stories in the Illustrated Man, a lot of them were new to me. It is very interesting though to see the recurrent patterns in these stories: how Earth is being blown up by humans and modern civilization leaving people stuck in space or Mars, how no one fear death anymore, thus leaving a world without any imagination or dreams, and other concerns. Besides the amazing science-fiction side, it is also highly philosophical ...more
Arshad Mehtiyev
Sep 03, 2014 Arshad Mehtiyev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Chrysalis from this book. Short but good story with the awesome ending
Katie Lynn
I read this but don't remember which stories are in it.
Gillian Napier
Feb 24, 2014 Gillian Napier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable, in this day and age these stories are a pleasant mix of the old and the new.
Becky
Aug 28, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I didn't know when I bought it that it was a collection of short stories, but I was so glad when I found out. Each story is bizarre in its own way and makes a statement about our culture and rituals, how we perceive (or ignore) things and people, or what we deem important in our lives. My favorite was about the man who awoke dead in a future with no dead people and no fear and his plan to turn things upside down. Even the space adventures, which I'm not usually into, contain g ...more
Kevin Lucia
Jul 02, 2014 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. Did skip a few stories because I'd already read them elsewhere, but still wonderful.
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • Eye
  • Traces
  • Artificial Things
  • The Terminal Beach
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...