Start by marking “S Is For Space” as Want to Read:
S Is For Space

S Is For Space

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,982 ratings  ·  47 reviews
S is for science fiction, spine-tingling, supernatural and sublime! S is for stories from a "Star Wilderness that stretched as far as eye and mind could see and imagine".

Chrysalis
The Smile
Dark Tey Were, and Golden-Eyed
The
Mass Market Paperback, 211 pages
Published March 1st 1978 by Bantam Science Fiction (first published August 1966)

To ask other readers questions about S Is For Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S Is For Space

Raj
This collection of short stories was a companion piece to R is for Rocket which I read last year and adored. I found this cheap on Ebay and was really looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, I came away somewhat disappointed. This is almost the antithesis of Rocket in that where that book looked to the future joyously and used the rocket as a symbol of exploration and freedom, this book feels dystopian, and almost bitter and anti-scientific in a way. I wondered if it was because of when th ...more
Catherine Siemann
A few years ago, I reread The Martian Chronicles, and wished I hadn't, because the best book in the world when you're in seventh grade isn't necessarily the best book in the world when you're in your forties. However, with Bradbury's death the other day, and all the tributes I've been seeing, I've been curious to reread some more. I found S is for Space on my shelves. The title is a misnomer, as most of its stories are actually firmly earthbound, but it's a collection which includes many of my o ...more
Chris Cano
Fucking awesome short stories. Andrew Bond should read this.
Hester
A mixed bag, where the best stories soar, but some fall flat under the weight of the author's idees fixes. The collection starts with the perfectly fine "Chrysalis," followed by the brilliant and flawed "Pillar of Fire." It introduces a theme repeated throughout the book. Bradbury writes disturbing stories set in 'utopian' futures and hopeful ones set in post-apocalyptic futures.

Interestingly, "Zero Hour" presages Betty Friedan. I find this funny as some of the other stories have pontificating h
Monika
I first heard about "S is for Space" from Lianne at The Towering Pile. I've been wanting to read more sci-fi - I mean, I love watching sci-fi, and obviously I love reading... but when it comes to sci-fi books, I'm so picky! Reading Lianne's review, as well as having read and liked "Fahrenheit 451," I was pretty sure this would be a good match for me.

It's important to remember that this collection of short stories was published in 1966. The role of women in these stories continues to portray a 19
Magdelanye
Ray Bradbury is a master of atmosphere, and this book of short stories is no exception to his evocative, provocative style.This collection is not as thematic as most of his books that I have read, as he says in the introduction, expressing every side of his enthusiastic, empathic nature. I especially like his Martian stories and his treatment of children and the other. Bradbury is far more than a yarn-spinner, and his exploration of space includes inner as well as outer.
There was a story I was
Mariam
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I repeat: do not read it. Just because Bradbury wrote it, doesn't mean that it will be as great as Fahrenheit 451. It is only my opinion after all, but I suffered through every short story and I really dreaded having to read another one. A little bit of a disappointment, Ray.
Samuel Blondahl
Excellent book. This kind of short fiction is a wonderful thing to fall into, and I am very glad I picked it up. While any sci-fi from such a long time ago can seem strange to a modern reader, there is an immortal quality to Bradbury's writing that still resonates and rivets attention. His characters are emotive and vivid, and the scenes he writes are alive with rich detail. As a sci-fi writer myself, I consider this kind of work to be extremely important, I hope others pick this up as a means o ...more
Joel Julian
Fahrenheit 451 was my first experience of Bradbury and I found it to be a good read; Something Wicked This Way Comes was my second and I found it to be both ridiculous, pretentious and, at times, poorly written. S Is For Space is a short story collection which touches both ends of the spectrum. There's the good, the bad and the worth reading. I've decided I don't much like Bradbury's style as a writer, and even in the good stories I found myself rolling my eyes at his quirks and whimsy, but ther ...more
Stephanie Scelza
again, awesome, but superfluous, partly because they share the same themes, and partly because they print the same stories in many of his short story collections.
Jonathan Moore
Some of my favorite Bradbury short stories are in this one. Makes me want to get under the covers with a flashlight and stay up all night!
Frank Taranto
Early Bradbury short stories. Bradbury is a master of mood.
Ryan
I bought this book about a year or more ago, hearing the short story “The Pedestrian” referenced somewhere in my readings/teachings about “The Giver,” which I teach. I found it used for a penny so I bought it. I read a story here and a story there over the past year, and to be honest – maybe this sounds blasphemous with Bradbury recently deceased, not to mention all the awards he’s won over the years – I thought the whole thing was pretty much a waste of time. Many of the stories can be read in ...more
K. Axel
Aug 01, 2013 K. Axel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
This is a review-in-progress, which means that I will review the stories as I read them.

I should probably say that I have no real knowledge of Ray Bradbury's writing as I have only read one or two of his shortstories and none of them have (for some reason) made a lasting impression on me.

Chrysalis (24 pages) is the story about a man who is undergoing a strange transformation into... something else. The story mostly follow the three men who takes care of him as he transforms. The story is well-w
Charles
I left this book on a bus, but eventually got it back. So, it took be several months to finish this. But, they're short stories, so I didn't lose the point, really.

Mostly disappointed. Some of the stories were good. When he started talking about rocket technology, the stories came across pretty dated. So, I like his fantasy stuff more than his SF stuff. Fantasy doesn't really get "dated", unless it reflects outdated ideas, like racism.

Bradbury does a really good job with child characters. Captur
Chris
I really enjoyed a good number of the stories in here, though the first two are kind of clunkers. Bradbury always surprises me with the directions he takes his stories and the strange messages he writes into them. And then, at other times, the stories are total pulp. It's kind of a toss-up, but it's fun reading.
Jude
Again, Bradbury impressed me. Even though I've already a couple of these short stories in the Illustrated Man, a lot of them were new to me. It is very interesting though to see the recurrent patterns in these stories: how Earth is being blown up by humans and modern civilization leaving people stuck in space or Mars, how no one fear death anymore, thus leaving a world without any imagination or dreams, and other concerns. Besides the amazing science-fiction side, it is also highly philosophical ...more
Arshad Mehtiyev
I read Chrysalis from this book. Short but good story with the awesome ending
Gillian Napier
Thoroughly enjoyable, in this day and age these stories are a pleasant mix of the old and the new.
Becky
I loved this book. I didn't know when I bought it that it was a collection of short stories, but I was so glad when I found out. Each story is bizarre in its own way and makes a statement about our culture and rituals, how we perceive (or ignore) things and people, or what we deem important in our lives. My favorite was about the man who awoke dead in a future with no dead people and no fear and his plan to turn things upside down. Even the space adventures, which I'm not usually into, contain g ...more
Kevin Lucia
Wonderful. Did skip a few stories because I'd already read them elsewhere, but still wonderful.
John
Reading Bradbury is almost like listening to Bach – one not only enjoys the music but appreciates the form, proportions and structure of the piece on a higher level. I think this collection contains two that were later included in the Martian Chronicles, and they do stand out as the stronger, more well-wrought stories, but there is still some great stuff, in particular non-sci-fi story “The Trolley”, “The Wall,” and “The Pillar of Fire,” which is something of a love song to classic horror fictio ...more
Buzz Park
This book and its companion "R is for Rocket" turned me on to reading and my lifelong love affair with science fiction. Though I last read it 30+ years ago, I must give it five honorary stars. :-)

UPDATE: Bought a hard-to-find hardcover copy over Christmas break. I enjoyed it, and some of the stories brought back good memories (Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed, Chrysalis, etc), but I didn't enjoy it as much this time around as I did as a boy. 3-stars :-)
Sophie Howells
This is just brilliant, brilliant writing. I realized about halfway through that I had read it before as a kid. These stories had stayed with me as though they were dreams from my childhood. This book is so vivid that it's less like a story to me and more like a series of experiences. I love it and recommend it to anyone I know.
Mark Clough
S is for space and also for strange,
These stories of Ray's show quite a range.
Elise
After reading a couple new books, I've decided to re-visit my permanent library for a book or two. With that in mind, I am re-reading this collection of short stories by the illustrious Bradbury. So far, I am enjoying it this time around as much as the other approximately 8 times I have read the collection. Bradbury truly is one of the masters.
Jason
Great to read around Halloween time - and great to ready ANYTIME. Bradbury has always been one of my favorites and writes a short tale like a symphony. Loved this collection - thought the title seems a bit far-afield...it doesn't matter because the writing is just so good, spooky, descriptive and poignant.
Bobby
Mostly these stories are Bradbury's vision of future life in space or on the moon.

I enjoyed his stories in The Illustrated Man better as they generally used the science fiction settings to explore themes of humanity, making them more than just flights of fancy.
Professor
First collection of Bradbury stories I've read (I've read a few of his in anthologies and heard a lot adapted for radio) and I loved every minute of it. A fantastic and gifted author whose short stories are well worth anyone's time, not just sci-fi fans.
  • Shatterday
  • Artificial Things
  • Patterns
  • Holding Wonder
  • Saliva Tree and Other Strange
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)