Start by marking “Zen Without Zen Masters” as Want to Read:
Zen Without Zen Masters

Zen Without Zen Masters

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Presents a collection of contemporary Zen parables. For the novice, this work is an introduction to the baffling world of meditation, Eastern thought and the galaxy of philosophies that make up the expanding horizon of human awareness, and for the veteran, it integrates the inner quest with the experience of daily life.
Published May 1st 2014 by New Falcon Publications (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Without Zen Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Without Zen Masters

Tokyo Vice by Jake AdelsteinShōgun by James ClavellThe Shackles Of A Name by Martin Adil-SmithInstruction Manual for the 21st Century Samurai by Alexei Maxim RussellConfessions of a Yakuza by Junichi Saga
Good books about Japan
124th out of 132 books — 60 voters
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiTao Te Ching by Lao TzuAn Introduction to Zen Buddhism by D.T. SuzukiThe Way of Zen by Alan W. WattsThe Three Pillars of Zen by Philip Kapleau
Insightful Zen Buddhism Books
109th out of 109 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Jun 24, 2010 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Discordians, Setians, anarchists
Recommended to Michael by: Robert Anton Wilson
This is one of the more obscure books of the Discordian canon. Camden Benares was part of the original cabal, known as PoEE, that invented the Discordian religion in the late 1950s-early 1960s, a joke religion dedicated to Eris, Greek Goddess of Chaos and Discord. Benares was the only person in on the joke who was "serious" enough to legally change his name to the "holy name" he chose for himself as a Discordian. I have stated elsewhere that "when you make the mistake of not taking Discordianism ...more
Elguapo
Jul 24, 2008 Elguapo rated it really liked it
i have been looking for years for a copy of this book. for years i have heard these stories and often use them in everyday life when talking and getting to know folks, and now i got one and i love it. it makes me laugh,cry, poo, and brings the lightning of chaos to my clouded mind.
Cathy Hasty
Aug 12, 2012 Cathy Hasty rated it liked it
Interesting verging on bizarre...with some wisdom in between some crazy ideas. I found it in a second hand shop so it was worth the .25 I spent and the time...
lifelike
Dec 05, 2015 lifelike rated it liked it
ZEN Without Zen Masters feels like it's by Robert Anton Wilson. The only clue that it might be by someone else is that it's a very short read. Four sections of jokes/koans - Guides & Lovable Fools, Personal Work, The Zen of Sex, and the Reality of Illusion, with a fifth section of meditations and exercises. Some joke-koans are parodies of other koans. Others feel like moments from a diary. Nothing earth-shattering here. If you want to read everything R.A.W. ever contributed to, or if you nee ...more
Nikmaack
Aug 23, 2014 Nikmaack rated it really liked it
Fun, simple, practical. A little basic. Some Zen parables followed by descriptions of meditation exercises. A very short but interesting book. The exercises and overall attitude of the book is, hey, maybe this will work for you. If not, try something else.

Very light and sweet. If you're all old Zen pro you might find it too light and all too familiar.
Gary
Apr 18, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Another Zen favorite. This is one of the better Zen books out there. Very fun to read.
Kamila
Jan 17, 2015 Kamila added it
Easy and fun read with lots of easy exercises to do :)
Geoff Gander
Oct 22, 2013 Geoff Gander rated it it was amazing
A very readable approach to western Zen. The parables contained within the book are arranged thematically, and I find it's best to give it a read-through once, then go back to re-read specific parables when seeking inspiration or just a different interpretation on whatever happens to be going on in your life at that moment.

Each time I read this book, I find something new. The forward by Robert Anton Wilson is also entertaining.
Susanne
Nov 27, 2012 Susanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book long time ago, and unfortunately don't have it anymore, but I remember so much of it. Many of the stories are still like good friends and pop up in my memory when I need a little cheering up, or something to ponder on.

Humorous, intelligent, thought-provoking. Read!
david blumenshine
Feb 16, 2012 david blumenshine rated it liked it
"you may become free from the urge to change yourself"

hail eris!
Aug 05, 2013 Ivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, chaos
Good, good.
Roundwater
Roundwater marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Milky Milken
Milky Milken marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Kelsey Yoakum
Kelsey Yoakum marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Madam Anastasija
Madam Anastasija marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Mihai Zoican
Mihai Zoican marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Zalina
Zalina marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Heehoo Haas-Noneem
Heehoo Haas-Noneem rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Jonathan Andersen
Jonathan Andersen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Adam B Batchelor
Adam B Batchelor marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Cyrus Bufkin
Cyrus Bufkin rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Michael Sonlight
Michael Sonlight marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Scott Crutchfield-Rogers
Scott Crutchfield-Rogers marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Donald Lutz
Donald Lutz marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Lise Tabb
Lise Tabb marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
  • The New Inquisition: Irrational Rationalism and the Citadel of Science
  • Angel Tech: A Modern Shaman's Guide to Reality Selection
  • Religion and Nothingness
  • Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • The Psychopath's Bible: For the Extreme Individual
  • June 30th, June 30th
  • Immediatism
  • Only Don't Know: Selected Teaching Letters of Zen Master Seung Sahn
  • Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist  Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything In Between
  • Revelation X: The Bob Apocryphon, Hidden Teachings and Deuterocanonical Texts of J.R. Bob Dobbs
  • The Eternal Now
  • Zen & the Beat Way
  • Neuropolitique
  • Seven Theories of Religion
  • Suicide Note
  • Awakening Osiris: The Egyptian Book of the Dead
  • Jubilee Hitchhiker: The Life and Times of Richard Brautigan

“Everything is true in some sense, false in some sense, and meaningless in another sense.” 3 likes