Start by marking “Zen Without Zen Masters” as Want to Read:
Zen Without Zen Masters

Zen Without Zen Masters

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Presents a collection of contemporary Zen parables. For the novice, this work is an introduction to the baffling world of meditation, Eastern thought and the galaxy of philosophies that make up the expanding horizon of human awareness, and for the veteran, it integrates the inner quest with the experience of daily life.
Published May 1st 2014 by New Falcon Publications (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Without Zen Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Without Zen Masters

Tokyo Vice by Jake AdelsteinInstruction Manual for the 21st Century Samurai by Alexei Maxim RussellShōgun by James ClavellYakuza Moon by Shōko TendōConfessions of a Yakuza by Junichi Saga
Good books about Japan
117th out of 125 books — 48 voters
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiTao Te Ching by Lao TzuAn Introduction to Zen Buddhism by D.T. SuzukiThe Three Pillars of Zen by Philip KapleauA Guide to the Present Moment by Noah Elkrief
Insightful Zen Buddhism Books
106th out of 106 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 24, 2010 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Discordians, Setians, anarchists
Recommended to Michael by: Robert Anton Wilson
This is one of the more obscure books of the Discordian canon. Camden Benares was part of the original cabal, known as PoEE, that invented the Discordian religion in the late 1950s-early 1960s, a joke religion dedicated to Eris, Greek Goddess of Chaos and Discord. Benares was the only person in on the joke who was "serious" enough to legally change his name to the "holy name" he chose for himself as a Discordian. I have stated elsewhere that "when you make the mistake of not taking Discordianism ...more
i have been looking for years for a copy of this book. for years i have heard these stories and often use them in everyday life when talking and getting to know folks, and now i got one and i love it. it makes me laugh,cry, poo, and brings the lightning of chaos to my clouded mind.
Cathy Hasty
Interesting verging on bizarre...with some wisdom in between some crazy ideas. I found it in a second hand shop so it was worth the .25 I spent and the time...
Fun, simple, practical. A little basic. Some Zen parables followed by descriptions of meditation exercises. A very short but interesting book. The exercises and overall attitude of the book is, hey, maybe this will work for you. If not, try something else.

Very light and sweet. If you're all old Zen pro you might find it too light and all too familiar.
Another Zen favorite. This is one of the better Zen books out there. Very fun to read.
Jan 17, 2015 Kamila added it
Easy and fun read with lots of easy exercises to do :)
Geoff Gander
A very readable approach to western Zen. The parables contained within the book are arranged thematically, and I find it's best to give it a read-through once, then go back to re-read specific parables when seeking inspiration or just a different interpretation on whatever happens to be going on in your life at that moment.

Each time I read this book, I find something new. The forward by Robert Anton Wilson is also entertaining.
I read this book long time ago, and unfortunately don't have it anymore, but I remember so much of it. Many of the stories are still like good friends and pop up in my memory when I need a little cheering up, or something to ponder on.

Humorous, intelligent, thought-provoking. Read!
david blumenshine
"you may become free from the urge to change yourself"

hail eris!
Steven Otero
Good example of Crazy Wisdom
David Townsend
Cute and Fun, somewhat dated
Good, good.
Anna Pajunen
Anna Pajunen is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2015
Tiia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Kyle marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Quandary marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Anders Rønnau
Anders Rønnau marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
John Briffa
John Briffa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Gary is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Randon Lund
Randon Lund marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The New Inquisition: Irrational Rationalism and the Citadel of Science
  • Religion and Nothingness
  • Angel Tech: A Modern Shaman's Guide to Reality Selection
  • Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • The Psychopath's Bible: For the Extreme Individual
  • June 30th, June 30th
  • Neuropolitique
  • Revelation X: The Bob Apocryphon, Hidden Teachings and Deuterocanonical Texts of J.R. Bob Dobbs
  • Immediatism
  • The Eternal Now
  • Jubilee Hitchhiker: The Life and Times of Richard Brautigan
  • Suicide Note
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom
  • Seven Theories of Religion
  • Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist  Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything In Between
A Handful of Zen Common Sense Tarot: A Practical Guide to Reading the Tarot for Pleasure & Profit Zen without zen masters It's All in Your Head: Remarkable Facts about the Human Mind A Certain Flair For Death (Crying Clown Celebration)

“Everything is true in some sense, false in some sense, and meaningless in another sense.” 3 likes