Tom Appleby, Convict Boy

Tom Appleby, Convict Boy

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  27 reviews
At the tender age of eight, chimney sweep Tom Appleby is convicted of stealing and sentenced to deportation to Botany Bay. As one of the members of the First Fleet, he arrives in a country that seemingly has little to offer - or little that the English are used to, anyway.
Published April 28th 2004 by Angus & Robertson (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Appleby, Convict Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Appleby, Convict Boy

Miss Soszynski
Book Description

A story of transportation and life in a new world.

Luckily, not long after Tom′s arrival in the colony, the fair and kind Sergeant Stanley decides to take on Tom as a servant. Together Tom, Sergeant Stanley and...more
Eleanor Silvae
This was one of my favourite books when I was of age with Tom, i.e 8 or 9. I probablly wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much now but at that age, when I was in the intended age group it was a brilliant book! It probably helped that we were studying this period of Australian history at school. I haven't read it in years but I'll always remember it as an early favourite, that I obsessively read again and again and sparked a life long fascination with historical fiction. A great kid's book!
Matt Leo
Incredible story line.
Red Rocky
I bought this book for my 11 year old son to read during a school project on the First Fleet, convicts & early settlers in Sydney. I read it as well and really enjoyed it. Once again, an insight into the incredible hardship of these little kids being forced up chimneys and with such a disregard to their lives. Tom was one of the lucky ones and was sent from England to Sydney on the first fleet of convict ships. He was fortunate enough to end up working for an English soldier & his son wh...more
Gothsparkleprincess
I absolutely loved this book.. until the part where Tom arrives in Australia. I loved the chimney sweep scenes, maybe because I have a frickin' huge obsession with 1800s London. And Master Jack was just awesome. In a slightly magical villainous alcoholic kinda way.
Kate Bayley
Was okay. I had to read it for school. Not my thing but it was well written and I didn't get bored.
Jack
Apr 12, 2010 Jack rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Jack by: noe one who knows me well
i didnt really like the book to much. i thinhk how they wrote it and how they spoke was sometimes hard to understand. and i thought that the book went over and over a bit and spoke to much about tom and master jack and his frineds, there was no suprise really like the book didnt build and supense or anything. i think if there was more characters and more interesting stuff in the book it would have been more un to read.
Hina
this book is good becuz it shows dat u shouldnt give up and be strong and to noe how history. history is great becuz gives u a lot of gud knowledge dats the only reason y i give this book an OK. or else this is really boringg. and yea i like the character of tom becuz he neva gives up and he picks himself up when he is down dats and history only reasons y i like this book. :)
Mariana Campbell
I think that this book was todramatic and the fact that it just keept draging on was soo boring but then agen the book was sad as well because it kinda refects on storys i have herd that where real and that my family have been through so in the end the book was alrite but boring at some parts.
Velma
As an adult, I found this a riveting read. This book provided an insight into early Australian history, including transportation and early settlement.
Jordan Siaosi-Ara
Apr 12, 2010 Jordan Siaosi-Ara added it
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Jordan by: Teachers
What i have learned about this book is that if you stole a loaf of bread back in the 1800's or 1900's you would either sentenced to death or jail for years and years. Tom was a boy and his father died when he was a kid. He died in the stocks for not believing in god.
Kai
Tom Appleby Convict boy was a book I am basically indifferent to. I can't find any complaint with it, like with all Jackie French books. However, It was not gripping enough to keep me racing back to it...
good book, but not gripping.
Gap
Apr 12, 2010 Gap added it
I LEARNED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN BACK THEN IF U STOLE STUFF U WOULD B PUT ON A BOAT AND YEH I THINK THTS WAT HAPPEND BAK THEN U WOULD BE POUR.THTS ALL I KNW FOR NOW BECAUSE I HAVENT FINSH THE BOOK YET
Dina
I really enjoy the way the book is written. especially when tom thought he was going to be hung. But gets sent to Australia with the first fleet. the description Tom is feeling, it so climactic
Lukeeyharlenn.
it is good, i liked reading it, hahaha. i would read it again and again and again. i liked tom i hate people dying in books it terrible thanks for looking at this miss soszynski
MattWerry
I liked the book but it was relly boring to read. They could of made it alot better story line. Tom is an alright caracter and he has alot of balls for what his been through.
Tina&taryn, And
we have learnt, some things from this book, that we haven't finished yet.
its sort of interesting, but so faar it seems kind of boring.
:D
Katy
Brought this book at Port Arthur Tassie. It was a quick and interesting read and I enjoyed reading it. A good story based on Australian history.
Amy
I read it 5 times. I loved it. I really wanted another book afterwards though...Jackie is such an amazing writer.
5 stars(:
Nathan
Apr 11, 2010 Nathan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: i wouldent recommend it to any one
Recommended to Nathan by: the teacher
i think this book is really boring and pointless and i have not learnd any thing at all because its all about cleaning a chimney
Gracie La
I loved this book it is sad at times but you feel as though your really there watching everything happen.
Read this in year 6, so a long, long time ago. But i remember loving it, and i think i might read it again.
Tom Reed
very good book about a boy who was a chimney sweep, who stole and got sent to australia
Oanh
Enjoyable, though perhaps a wee but didactic (what else should I have expected, really?)
Tilli
I really enjoyed this book, and I found it incredibly interesting to read.
Mickey
Really a 1.5 stars out of 5.
Cate Efford
EHSC - TASK 1: B 15 23 Apr 12, 2010 07:23PM
Is "courage" important in this book? 15 21 Apr 12, 2010 07:23PM
EHSC - TASK 1: C 15 19 Apr 12, 2010 07:22PM
Is Tom's life realistic? 18 25 Apr 12, 2010 07:09PM
Jacqueline Anne "Jackie" French, is an award-winning Australian author of children's fiction and books on gardening.

Jackie French was born in Sydney and grew up in Brisbane, but moved to the bush in her early twenties. She is a keen gardener and appeared on the TV series Burke's Backyard. She has written well over a hundred books. Jackie lives in New South Wales, near the small town of Braidwood a...more
More about Jackie French...
Diary of a Wombat Hitler's Daughter A Rose for the ANZAC Boys A Waltz for Matilda They Came on Viking Ships