Start by marking “Dexter: An Omnibus (Dexter, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Dexter: An Omnibus (Dexter, #1-3)

Dexter: An Omnibus (Dexter #1-3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the most original crime writer around, the first three gripping Dexter novels.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter: Dexter Morgan can't stand the sight of blood. Which makes his job as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami PD a little tricky. But it means that he's very tidy when it comes to his hobby: murder. After all, even though Dexter only ever kills bad people, he doesn't wan
Published November 6th 2008 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Dexter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dexter

Gods of The Nowhere by James TipperTales From Dark Places by D.C. RogersThe Raven and other poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Shining by Stephen KingAunt Tilda by Deborah McClatchey
Halloween Reads
102nd out of 298 books — 256 voters
Luna Aeturnus by Simon OkillLuna Sanguis by Simon OkillPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisAbraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith
bloody covers
59th out of 194 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Fantastic trilogy that had me gripping my seat with suspense despite having already seen the TV series, however, it fell flat with the 3rd book and the introduction of the Watcher and Moloch. I really enjoyed that Dexter is just your average guy that has a rather dark and dangerous hobby, he's quirky and demented but really very intriguing and intelligent. The reader feels as though Dexter is a superhero and will prevail in his mad quest to rid the earth of the truly nasty nasties. But then, the ...more
Amanda Wood
I'm a huge fan of the television show "Dexter" and also a huge fan of reading the book(s) of any movie or television show. When I started reading the "Dexter Omnibus", I was expected it to be a facsimile of the television show. After all, the show is fantastic!

The prose itself is stunning - and I'm impressed by how well the Dark Passenger and Harry's code have been carried into the TV show from the words Lindsay wrote. If I was the author, I'd be well stoked with the representation.

The reading
Neal Asher
The language of the first page of this hauled me up, but I persevered and was soon in territory I recognized from the excellent TV series. I was a bit dubious about the somewhat camp depiction of Dexter and the emphasis on his 'Dark Passenger' which only kicked in in the TV series when he was pretending to have a drugs habit, both as an alibi with Rita and a way to put Doakes off the scent. I really enjoyed the first two books of this, noting the differences and being quite happy with them - the ...more
Dilina
ok.. i was honestly a bit disappointed. I'm a HUGE fan of the amazing TV adaptation and as is the case in general, expected something that would blow the TV show right out of the water. But while the first novel "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" was a 4/5 read, the next two were completely off in plot, pacing and characters. Very wooden and even cliched and cheesy. The writing tried its hardest but just couldn't bring out the great concepts that were presented.

Dexter remains an amazing concept and charac
Seawater
I do enjoy the books even though I prefer the show. The third book was really, really bad though...
Lisa
There are brief sections of wonderful prose in these books. There are a lot of repetitions though, I got bored of the words "monster", "moon", "a good copy" (of a human), "chuckle" and various variations of "if it hadn't been for Harry." I understand that these were important features in the book, but to say them once in each book is enough, a couple of times at the most. The whole concept of Dexter is great though, very powerful and funny in places, even though it's horrible. Didn't mind the th ...more
Rob Carr
I had really enjoyed the TV series so reading the book seemed the next logical step. This is an excellent read and very enjoyable. It goes into a lot more detail around the dark passenger than the TV series and sticks to the main plot line more which I liked. Found the books hard to put down particularly as they got closer to the end. There is excellent wit and humour of Lindsay's writing and the books are filled with thrilling events. Highly recommend.
Sandra Nyamu
‘Darkly Dreaming Dexter’ is the first novel in the DEXTER series by Jeff Lindsay and just to get it out of the way, YES it is the one on which the television show is based.

Dexter Morgan is exceedingly average. Just a cheery, clever guy, who works in a lab who happens to kill people sometimes. Inexplicably driven to kill and exhibiting severe antisocial tendencies, Dexter tries to blend in and through the early coaching of his father Harry has even learned to somewhat productively channel his urg
♥Xeni♥
Of the first three books in the series, I'd have to say the second was my favorite. I loved how at the end of the first the series started deviating from the TV show (LaGuerta dies, yay!!!!!)

The third book really bugged me.. marriage, strange kids, and then this weird cult thing, plus Dexter having issues with his Passenger? There the TV Show did a better job, although the show did get rather boring.

In general, I rated these books so highly because they are like nothing that has been written ye
Adele McVay
I came to these books via the TV series. The TV series has managed to closely capture the characters as described in the books, while the books themselves will provide you with brand new Dexter stories (only the first one will seem familiar, but isn't identical to the show). He's witty, sick, twisted - yet I find myself rooting for him time & time again.

Only issue with this particular addition is that it's 3 books in one, so it's a BIG book, not one to slip into your bag, so this slowed dow
Benito
Okay,
I loved the [TV:] series,
so I was happy to borrow this trilogy of the first three books,

and sure, while the first did largely reflect the original series
the 2nd and 3rd books veer so far from the complex, layered plots of the TV series, for very much the worse.

As Samantha, who lent me the books, put it - it makes you realise what a good job the TV adapters did with the material!

On the other hand, if you need to have a stab at writing a pilot featuring an anti-hero, as I do in the next few
Tereza Fuková
The first book was really relaxing, I know the series, so it was really funny to compare. The second book was a bit too brutal I think and the third was bit too spirituous for me. But I really enjoyed the reading and comparing. Because TV Dexter is really positive character, he seems to be real human. But Dexter from books says always, that he isn't real human, that he donť have any feelings or emotion. It's much darker. But I liked it. I especially liked the part with Astor and Cody. Little dar ...more
Teresa
Read the entire Dexter series. My son's friend, Kevin, tried for years to get me to read them, but I was reluctant because I knew they were chopping up bodies and that's not usually my choice of reading. Well, I finally read one and then two and before I knew it Dexter and I were chopping up bad guys together and I was sucked into the maddening world of Dexter. These books will make you go YUCK a few times, but they are also witty. Thanks Kevin!
Zach Jensen
I am a fan of the tv series, so when I learned that it was based on books, I had to read them.
I love the two first books of the series, but the almost supernatural approach Lindsay takes regarding the "Dark Passenger", does (in my opinion) not quite fit with the two earlier works or the universe he created.
Maud
Usually, crime fiction doesn't impress me all that much-- at times it contains more cliches and purple prose than I can handle. I won't say that the Dexter books don't, but the writing here is of pretty good quality. Ideas like the Dark Passenger are impressive and original. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Annette
I am currently on book 3 of this series-- I actually think the TV writers for the series are better than the original author. They give Dexter a much wittier personality with more interesting inner monologues.
Ethan
This book is way way way more hokey than the show. Still, if you like the show, the books can give you some fun alternative plots.
Jen Healey
Loved it! I'm on the hunt for the next one now! So different from the brilliant tv series, but in a very interesting way. Fab!
Claire
Loved it, a great read, a bit different from the tv show, the characters were the same but the plots differed, which was great!!!
Glenn Armstrong
Love the idea of this story. A serial killer that we fall in love with! Nice writing style.
Deidre
One of my favorite from the series...there's only one Dexter!
Tom
Mar 25, 2015 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of dexter
I read part 1, still waiting to read parts 2 and 3
Aimee Burton
Extremely enticing. Had me from page 1.
Murphy
Very good books :)
Alison Hill
brilliant
Lindaloo
Lindaloo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
David Ostrander
David Ostrander marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • Blackburn
  • John Saul: Three Terrifying Bestselling Novels: Suffer the Children; Punish the Sinners; Cry for the Strangers
  • The Rendezvous and Other Stories
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • The Psychology of Dexter
  • Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon
  • Little Bird
  • De held
  • Mirrorscape
  • Lehrerkind: Lebenslänglich Pausenhof
  • 666
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • La condanna del sangue: La primavera del commissario Ricciardi
  • Appel du pied
  • The Will of the Dead
  • The Mob
  • The 351 Books of Irma Arcuri: A Novel
Jeff Lindsay is the pen name of an American crime writer, Jeffry P. Freundlich, who lives in Cape Coral, Florida with his wife, author Hilary Hemingway, daughter of Leicester Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway's brother.

Lindsay is best known for writing the Dexter series of novels. Many of his earlier published works include his wife as a co-author. Time Blender was written with Michael Dorn. He graduat
More about Jeff Lindsay...

Dexter (8 books)
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2)
  • Dexter in the Dark (Dexter, #3)
  • Dexter By Design (Dexter, #4)
  • Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
  • Double Dexter (Dexter, #6)
  • Dexter's Final Cut (Dexter, #7)
  • Dexter Is Dead (Dexter, #8)
Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2) Dexter in the Dark (Dexter, #3) Dexter By Design (Dexter, #4) Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)