Start by marking “The Red and the Green (Vintage Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Red and the Green (Vintage Classics)

The Red and the Green (Vintage Classics)

As the Easter Rebellion looms, tension mounts in the rain-soaked streets of Dublin. Tension is also ratcheting up at home. Pat Dumay is a Catholic and an Irish patriot. His relentlessly pious mother pursues her own private war with his stepfather, a man sunk in religious speculation and drink. Meanwhile Pat's Protestant soldier cousin, Andrew Chase-White, puzzles out his c ...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Vintage (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Red and the Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red and the Green

David
Sep 01, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Easter 1916 as a comic opera with an occasional death. How does Iris get away with it? At one point she had all of the characters turning to each other and saying "This is ridiculous." But it's such good fun and the people in Murdoch's universe are so witty, pretty and/or rich, that I just can't get enough. Pat was an additional treat here, firmly from Mishima Country.

"'I think being a woman is like being Irish,' said Frances, … 'Everyone says you're important and nice, but you take second plac
Esdaile
Dec 22, 2013 Esdaile rated it liked it
Shelves: irish, post-war-novel
My feeling about Irish Murdoch is a little bit like that for take away pizzas-enjoyable while consumed but somehow not entirely satisfying. She annoys me for having said, concurring with Angus Wilson, in answer to a survey conducted I think by "The Observor" about forty years ago, that she considered the most overrated English language novelist of the twentieth century to be EM Forster. In my opinion at the time, precisely my two candidates for that "honour" were Angus Wilson and..Iris Murdoch! ...more
Betsy
Aug 11, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
This is a marvelous book. I love the way Murdoch explores character and feeling. She describes Dublin and Ireland exquisitely, especially the phenomenon of rain. This story details the week leading up to the Easter Rising, in 1916. Through Murdoch's ensemble of characters, the intricate web of politics and cultural sentiment is detailed with great care. I really loved this novel, and returned to page one to read it through a second time the moment I had completed the first.
Melissa
This was a nice book. I'm impressed by Murdoch's compassion and the way it coexists with her razor-sharp insight. She never seems to condemn human frailty, but she sees it very clearly. Although she deflates the concept of soldierly heroism in warfare/revolution and the idea of romantic love, her women characters are all heroic in their own ways, and she shows filial and familial love to be deep and inexhaustible wells.

cato
Apr 07, 2017 cato rated it really liked it
Pat dumay what a man
Liza
Feb 08, 2009 Liza rated it liked it
Bryan Bunch
Jul 13, 2013 Bryan Bunch rated it liked it
The story wavers about for half the book and we lose sight of who the main characters are--some may be totally unnecessary. About 2/3 of the way in, suspense develops and it is hard to stop reading, but all in all, not one of her best efforts. Still, Iris is better than most, even when off her game.
Lucy
Apr 04, 2011 Lucy rated it liked it
I loved the character of Barney, he mad the whole book for me, he was so funny and so pathetic.
Betty
Jul 08, 2017 Betty rated it it was ok
All the male characters in this book spent pages upon pages in maudlin, self-centered reflection, especially about how much they are maligned/loved/hated/manipulated/controlled by the women in their lives. None of the female characters do any self -reflection. Worse, they are, each & every one, horrible, guilt-inducing, needy, cantankerous, whiny, & wildly unpredictable creatures without any redeeming qualities. And worst of all is the horrible, incestuous spider of an Aunt Millie. Most ...more
Kathleen Flynn
May 12, 2017 Kathleen Flynn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Signature Iris Murdoch with a small, connected group of people being attracted to/ involved with each other in strange and surprising ways, plus the comic clash between how people see themselves vs how others see them. Add to this the dramatic backdrop of Dublin, Easter 1916, and you have a winner.
Christopher Johnson
Jul 27, 2010 Christopher Johnson rated it really liked it
This book turned out to be educational for me, mainly because my grasp of Irish history has always been fuzzy. Not that Murdoch spells anything out, she assumes the reader understands the historical context already. During the opening chapters, her characters drop references to quite a few historical figures and events, so I found myself putting the book down to search the internet for the details that I didn't know. People such as Parnell, Wolfe Tone, Connelly, and events such as the Act of Uni ...more
Robbie Govus
May 03, 2013 Robbie Govus rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading it of course ... I have a bias I have to admit .. however, I wouldn't say that it is her best novels, not even one of her best. I liked it because I'm a big fan but I would certainly not recommend it to someone who never read Murdoch before. That would be something like the Bell or The Italian Girl .... still, I came across genius in terms of the complexity of human nature, yet once again !!!
Corto
Sep 09, 2012 Corto rated it really liked it
I read this a very long time ago. From what I can remember it was a take on the Easter Rising from a feminist perspective. All the men seem to be inwardly foppish or immature, and the women possessed of independent minded, stern inner stuff- or at least struggling against the chauvinistic constraints of the era.

It was compelling and very well written. A great edition to the canon of Irish fiction.
Jeane
Feb 28, 2009 Jeane rated it really liked it
This was such a very interesting book. A fiction story mixed with important history that took place in Dublin in 1916. You get a good view of dublin, Ireland and England in that time and how people thought about the english being in Ireland. Even more interesting to read now that you know how the future of then, is now.
Christa
Jun 28, 2012 Christa rated it it was ok
Ordered this - next book club book. Never read Murdoch. Everyone liked it but me. Seemed like it was written in the 40s or 50s, not 1965. Didn't much like the characters, or characterization, and didn't learn much about Ireland. Oh well. It was a quick read.
Susan
May 12, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Interesting to have read this right after Frank McCourt. A friend gave me this and I have to admit I knew nothing about Iris Murdoch. While this was a challenging story (complex characters, convoluted families, confused country) I really liked her writing.
Neal
Sep 17, 2011 Neal rated it it was ok
Half Jane Austen/ half Irish rebellion. Didn't quite click for me.
Syd
Jul 07, 2007 Syd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the Irish Easter uprising turned into a soap opera...and yet still managed to be fairly boring.
Maureen
Feb 03, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it
This was one of the first Iris Murdoch novels I read. Enjoyed them all.
Pat
Jan 10, 2013 Pat rated it liked it
Lots of wordy description of characters thoughts and feelings and a good history lesson on the Irish rebellion in 1917.
John
Apr 07, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
A family story in an historical setting involving differences between branches of the family tree.
Claire
Mar 23, 2007 Claire rated it did not like it
She's one of my mom's favourites, so I thought I'd give her a try. I may have chosen hte wrong one randomly of the shelf...didn't love it. Plan to try again sometime.
Liz De Coster
Jul 16, 2008 Liz De Coster rated it it was amazing
I do so love this book. I read it for a Critical Social Though class with Pleshakov, and I loved it then, and I love it now. It's heart-wrenching.
Rebecca A. Robinson
Rebecca A. Robinson rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Justine Ellis
Justine Ellis rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Shennety
Shennety rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Ajeno Diablo
Ajeno Diablo rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2012
Cam
Cam rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2008
Raymond
Raymond rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Vanessa Castagnino
Vanessa Castagnino rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
  • Medea
  • General Prologue To The Canterbury Tales
  • Ten Stories about Smoking
  • In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis
  • The Woman Reader
  • Elizabeth: Renaissance Prince
  • The Blessing
  • The Twelfth Day of July (Kevin and Sadie, #1)
  • Sarah's Story
  • The Shadow Guests
  • They Were Divided
  • The Story of Spain: The Dramatic History of Europe's Most Fascinating Country
Dame Jean Iris Murdoch

Irish-born British writer, university lecturer and prolific and highly professional novelist, Iris Murdoch dealt with everyday ethical or moral issues, sometimes in the light of myths. As a writer, she was a perfectionist who did not allow editors to change her text. Murdoch produced 26 novels in 40 years, the last written while she was suffering from Alzheimer disease.

"She w
More about Iris Murdoch...

“The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.” 36 likes