Start by marking “Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy” as Want to Read:
Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy

Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews
One of the most enduring and influential of all human institutions, the papacy has also been amongst the most controversial. No one who seeks to make sense of modern issues within Christendom—or, indeed, world history—can neglect the vital shaping role of the popes.In Keepers of the Keys of Heaven, eminent religion scholar Roger Collins offers a masterful account of the en ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Basic Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Keepers of the Keys of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keepers of the Keys of Heaven

Curmudgeon66
I found this an informative overview of 2000 years in 600 pages, so obviously some popes get a lot more ink than others. And surely some deserve a lot more, while some could do with very much less.

I suspect that anyone who reads this or is interested in the papacy, will bring their own preconceptions of the papacy to the reading. I certainly did. As a convert to the Catholic Church from a Lutheran tradition, I'm sure I still have some left over views of Medieval and Renaissance popes.

This book
Rindis
Roger Collins is a name I've known for many years through his Early Medieval Europe 300–1000, so when I realized that a book I was considering getting was by him, it became an instant first choice.

Covering nearly 2000 years of history in about 500 pages, even if restricted to a single institution (the papacy), is no mean feat, but Collins does it quite well here. There are places where names and titles go by at a dizzying pace, but mostly he picks an issue or a pope, and does a subchapter on it.
Kiri
Nov 06, 2013 Kiri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: art history students
This was a very good overview of the papacy; however it reads like a textbook so it is a bit weighty to get through. It also assumes that you have a thorough foundation in European History from about 300 AD through the 20th century. As such, it can be difficult to follow at times and I found myself having to resort to Wikipedia often to gain a better understanding of the discussion. It also includes a thorough chrolonlogical listing of all the popes and anti-popes and the selected bibilography i ...more
John
A dizzying, but fair, history of the papacy. The author tried to cover about 100 years per chapter. In the 11th-13th centuries, each chapter was chock full of Popes and controversies and was sometimes hard to keep going. I finally understood (I think) the Investiture Controversy and the suppression of the Jesuits, and the book contained many amusing anecdotes; for example, the tradition of looting the possessions of the newly-elected Pope.
Steve
Excellent books and it really does focus on the institution of the Papacy, not just the characters of the individual Bishops of Rome. My reading of it was broken up by travel so it took longer to finish that it should have. Very well written with much good information and analysis.
Carrie
not able to finish, i was disappointed in the dry writing.
Joshua
Informative and long
Nathan
Thought it would be a bit more informative, especially about the times right after the death of Christ and the apostles but found it to be quite vague. However, I understand the intent of the author and purpose of the book and therefore give it a higher rating. I must say I don't particularly like the title of the book as I fundamentally believe all authority was lost and not passed down as the Catholic Church believes. Other than that it is a very well researched and well written book!
LenZ
LenZ marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Kaele
Kaele added it
Mar 28, 2015
Bill
Bill added it
Mar 22, 2015
Judah
Judah marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Sharon Bloch
Sharon Bloch is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
David Donnelly
David Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Roderigo
Roderigo marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Book Junkie
Book Junkie marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Javier
Javier marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Adelaide
Adelaide marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Cythraul
Cythraul marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Adam Smith
Adam Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Erwin
Erwin marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Roger J. H. Collins (born 1949) is an English medievalist, currently an honorary fellow in history at the University of Edinburgh.
More about Roger Collins...
Early Medieval Europe, 300-1000, Second Edition (History of Europe (St. Martins)) The Arab Conquest of Spain: 710-797 Visigothic Spain 409-711 Early Medieval Spain The Basques