Start by marking “Psychology” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Psychology

David G. Myers

Psychology

Available now, Sixth Edition combines Myers' genuine love of communicating the field's major ideas to an uninitiated audience with new pedagogical tools including cutting edge technology for teaching and learning.
Published July 20th 2000 by Worth Publishers (first published February 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychology

Dylan
Apr 24, 2012 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this is a text book. I am counting this toward my 100 books because I really have read the whole thing over the course of the past couple months! This text book and I have become best friends (with our share of fights along the way). I really enjoyed reading this text book-because it was interesting or had lots of cartoons in it, I don't know. (Probably a combination of both) I thought this was a really well written text book because it got all the information across but in understandable t ...more
M
Jun 02, 2014 M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my teacher told me this book would be my best friend, I though she was kidding.

She wasn't.

It's true.

Some select quotes:

'If you lose the ability to recall your old memories then you have no life,' suggested memory researcher James McGaugh. 'You might as well be a rutabaga or a cabbage.'

___________________________________

Generally, though, consonant phonemes carry more information than do vowel phonemes. The treth ef thes stetement shed be evedent frem thes bref demenstretien.

____________
Renée
well this book was almost the death of me because i had the bright idea of signing up for BOTH first year psychology classes at the same time, but at the end of this semester i will be able to say that i have honestly read EVERY single page of this book. this being said, i found this book to be extremely informative and nicely put together. the format is user friendly.
Jan 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I friggin love this textbook.
Star Jennings
Apr 26, 2012 Star Jennings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I am a psych nerd and some chapters I have read and reread just for fun.
Annie
Aug 23, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-psych
Myers is not only a renowned scientist but a phenomenal writer. His writing is catchy, witty, and interesting. Even those that are not interested in a particular module will find something fascinating on every topic in the way Myers presents how research in that specific area is working towards improving the lives of everyday people. Having modules instead of chapters is a good way to organize the material and makes the reading go faster. This was assigned for my introduction to psychology cours ...more
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Confession time: I never read the readings my prof/teacher assign. I just can't sit there for 2-hours reading a textbook when I can be reading much more fascinating stories. This is, however, not the case with this special purple-with-lime-green-spine textbook. (Carrying it was like having an accessory with you).

It was humorous, had excellent examples and read like a story. While I was reading a chapter on human emotions, I saw on the margins, where the definitions should have been, a side note
Aiyaruk
Nov 07, 2007 Aiyaruk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psych students.
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I actually had the tenth edition of this book, but I couldn't find that pictured anywhere. Oh. My. God. This book has SO much information. The information was indeed clear and easy to read, and I agree with Myers' point of view on a lot of subjects. However, the biggest downside is that this textbook is MASSIVE. It covers far more information than I thought was necessary for Psych 101. At the same time, I appreciated all the funnies, comics, and pictures strewn on every page. The only problem wa ...more
Christopher Luna
I found many statements and claims - or at least the wording of them - to be biased to a degree that made me uncomfortable reading and trusting information or trends presented in a number of chapters of this textbook. The neuroscience and biology aspects were presented excellently in the scope of psychology, but I wish there were more evidence or studies cited for other portions.
Jerica
Oct 03, 2014 Jerica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, by far, the best textbook I have ever read. Everything about it is fantastic, from the content, to the pictures and graphs, to paragraphs ending perfectly at the bottom of the page. Everything is visually pleasing, and the information is presented in a valuable, easy-to-learn way. I am endlessly impressed!
Samantha
At first it was quite hard for me to get into, but the read got more and more interesting as the chapters went on. The textbook humor was a bit silly but a good change of pace from typically dry information. Overall, for a textbook, it could have been much worse.
Jyotika Varmani
Aug 16, 2014 Jyotika Varmani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that makes me want to learn psychology. This book and the one by Atkinson and Hilgard are the gold standards for the Introductory Psychology course. I loved the illustrations and examples throughout the book. I forgot this is a textbook as I studied it. Absolutely brilliant!
Rabeea
Mar 27, 2016 Rabeea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for people who want a thorough, well rounded introduction to psychology and its branches.
Morgan
Dec 17, 2012 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook
I've had a lot of psych textbooks. So far this one presents the material quite well.
Paula
Dec 17, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school, american, 2016
I don't typically review textbooks because... well, they're textbooks; school books; informational books; not terribly interesting books. But this one gets to be the exception. Especially in contrast with the actual Psychology course I took, this book was fantastic. The words flow, difficult concepts are made easy, and amusing, relatable, real-life examples are present in every page—Myers even describes some personal anecdotes of his from time to time. And I loved the cartoons (most are from Th ...more
Emily
Dec 17, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informative
This book covers a lot of the topics concerning Psychology. This textbook is really great at explaining all of the concepts. There are learning objectives and practice questions at the end of the chapters which really help to check whether you have retained what you read.
Barrette
Dec 08, 2016 Barrette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this cover to cover. Therefore, it is one of the books I read this year!
Jason Dias
There are problems with this text and they stem from epistemology. It is difficult to overcome some of the sexism and racism inherent in this field of study based on the fact that the founders of the field were relatively affluent, white males. It is also difficult to overcome the fact that textbook selection is done by people, often, who do not have advanced degrees in the field; one must cater to antiquated demands for descriptions of punishment, which is not a viable means of behavior modific ...more
Nathan
I mass crammed the last week reading this book, in preparation for the AP Exam. I did not take a Psychology class, but this book has nearly everything I needed to pass.
I took the exam only yesterday. My yestermorning began when I awoke from my recursive REM sleep cycle at 6 am and immediately went to work with my retinal rods and cones on the review section for the book. Whenever I felt as if I didn't understand one of the section review questions, I went back to the corresponding chapter and re
Richard
May 15, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading and studying this for a freshman level course at Brigham Young University. The book was very good, and pretty well written. There were some things that I more or less disagreed with, but I did enjoy going through the various topics. I found that my interests in psychology were more into the social psychology. Psychological disorders was intriguing and insightful, including other topics, like personality. I had a difficult time with the biological approach, but I think I unders ...more
Stephanie
A very good textbook for Psychology. Being in an AP course, I had the privilage to read this book over the duration of an entire school year to really milk the significant details out and apply them to pass tests and understand life in general. Some of the points brought up in the text enabled me to better understand my own mental health as well as the mental health of those around me. Thanks to the common associations and realistic examples, this course was an easy A. I would only choose this t ...more
Colshy
Jan 20, 2008 Colshy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My AP Psychology textbook is on here! Ha.
Well, as far as college textbooks go, and I have read way too many, this one was good. It had good cartoons and a couple funny parts.
You're probably wondering, "What's a Module?" Well it's basically a chapter. And there are 58 of them in this book. I think my kids read, on average, about 10. At least I know they took an interest to the ones on psychoactive drugs and sex. I'm sure their favorite module was "Adolescence." I know it was my favorite to teach
Fan Liu
Jan 03, 2014 Fan Liu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a high school student studying psychology, I'm usually forced to read 50 or so pages of this online textbook per week... which can be pretty annoying. Despite that, Myers writes psychology in an easy to understand approach, although sometimes he can be pretty digressive. When his language becomes too flowery or philosophical (I remember reading a whole entire page on his genius but utterly boring interpretation of consciousness or something like that), you know it's time to stop. Other than t ...more
Myra Sullivan
This book was okay. It was very well-written for a textbook. I could almost read it like a novel and the author put several real-life anecdotes that kept me interested. Unfortunately though, psychology is not something I find particularly amazing. :/ It's one of those things that I could read a brief paper about online and think, "Ohhh wow!" and then be done with. It's not something I want to study for hours and hours and take exams about. Relatively painless class, glad it's over though!
Stef
Apr 24, 2012 Stef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
This was by far the most interesting textbook I have read. I actually enjoyed reading it for the most part. The information was well presented and relevant. My only complaint was that some topics weren't covered as well and were lumped together with others, making it difficult to distinguish between them. Otherwise, its a great textbook.
Jia Yue
Currently taking AP Psych. Although the tone is hand-holdy at times (presumes our lack of knowledge), it is very insightful and has some truly funny moments (you had me at "psychoceramics"). Looking forward to finishing it.
Ali
Apr 29, 2013 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best text book I have read! I actually enjoyed reading it! it is also the best written text book I have read! it is not just long pages of words after words. there are plenty of pictures and captions that make the content intresting and help you learn in a fun way!
This book was for my AP Psychology class, and it made vocabulary really simple. The only thing is.....if you're taking AP? Please just sit down every night and read the book. Just read it. It'll help, I swear.
Ella
I've literally read every single page of this book. Every. single. word. page. chapter. Every diagram, footnote, quote and vocabulary word. Hours of my life have been spent reading this blasted text book so you better believe I'm adding it to my list.
Ania
Nov 23, 2012 Ania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. I especially enjoyed all the cartoons and illustrations. It breaks up the text and information and yeah... it helps! :)

Also: just now realised that there's a face on this cover! I must have been really into the content not to notice the cover for so many years lol.
  • Social Psychology
  • The Story of Psychology
  • Biology
  • Calculus With Analytic Geometry
  • Social Psychology
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Dancing on Our Turtle's Back: Stories of Nishnaabeg Re-Creation, Resurgence, and a New Emergence
  • Psychology in Action
  • Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach [with CD-ROM and InfoTrac]
  • The Basic Practice of Statistics
  • Calculus [With CDROM]
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Simple Heuristics That Make Us Smart
David G. Myers is a professor of Psychology at Hope College in Michigan, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and several general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology.

More about David G. Myers...