Start by marking “How to Live on Mars: A Trusty Guidebook to Surviving and Thriving on the Red Planet” as Want to Read:

Thinking about moving to Mars?

Well, why not? Mars, after all, is the planet that holds the greatest promise for human colonization. But why speculate about the possibilities when you can get the real scientific scoop from someone who’s been happily living and working there for years? Straight from the not-so-distant future, this intrepid pioneer’s tips for physical, financ
Published December 2nd 2008 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How to Live on Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Live on Mars

David
Jul 27, 2011 David rated it liked it
Good science and an interesting format, but the tone....zeesh. It was reviewed on the cover as "irreverent", I found it more to be snide. It presumes a Martian libertarian "paradise" combined with the corruption endemic to a 3rd world banana republic. Pretty depressing, if that is indeed the future.
Robyn
Dec 09, 2011 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Humor Fans, Science Fans, Astronomy Fans
How to Live on Mars is a hilarious guidebook catering to anyone interested in the scientific side of things who also harbors a sense of humor. Quirky and entertaining this fascinating book by Robert Zubrin gives a step-by-step explanation of how to move to, and survive on Mars. A book that caters both to the Scientifically inclined and the common folk this book is a great read for any I.Q. level.

In the book Zubrin thoroughly and humorously explains exactly what it would take to survive and thr
James
A great read, and more than I expected in a couple of ways. First, it's often very funny - as noted in "About the Author", it's supposedly written by "a man born in New Plymouth (on Mars) in 2071" who is "no (proven) relation whatsoever to his twentieth-century namesake, a humorless astronautical engineer" - and second, it covers a broad range of social, economic, and philosophical subjects beyond what an individual would need to know to live in a colony on Mars.

The tone is light and often snark
Karel Baloun
Dec 18, 2016 Karel Baloun rated it it was ok
After the first 30 pages, I was excited to give this 5 stars, for delivering physics and chemistry in an adventurous fictional format (like the far superior book The Martian) and I was impressed by the author's scientific credentials.

Gradually, I clearly discovered why Mars Direct and the Mars Society have failed to create any successes: he misunderstands so many practical human topics, and doesn't realize it. Global warming would be good from the Earth (too). Getting rich is the most important
Templehurst
Oct 27, 2009 Templehurst rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, library
Mildly entertaining, as far as it went. Alas, the 'science' quotient was pretty much nonexistent. Definite nods to Heinlen in the writing style and predictions of the future, which help explain, if not justify, some of the sexist/reactionary remarks others noted. Certainly the hard-bitten, enterprising, and scarcely legit colonist narrator could have come straight out of Farmer in the Sky or Have Space Suit-Will Travel--except that there might have been more hard science worked in. However, I st ...more
Adam  McPhee
May 06, 2014 Adam McPhee rated it it was ok
Shelves: space, science
Loved the science and speculation about Mars, but ruined by the author's libertarian schtick and his backfiring sense of humour. (Though I laughed at his suggestion that the Johnson Space Center was renamed the Bush ibn Saud Space Center sometime after 2008.)

The last two chapters about the social life on Mars were a bit much: he 'humorously' suggests that the institution of marriage ended on Earth because of too many domestic violence laws, and then has two pages full of lame Martian pick-up lin
Matthew
This is a truly amusing little book that provides much of the science for getting to Mars and for terraforming it as well as riffing on Frederick Jackson Turner’s Frontier Thesis and the writings of Science Fiction author Robert Heinlein. The author is a former NASA engineer and founder of the Mars Society who put forward a comprehensive plan for getting to Mars with technology we have now. While the author’s libertarianism can get to be a bit much, it was worth the read for the information it g ...more
Sam
Jul 29, 2009 Sam rated it did not like it
Depressing and awful. Basically a tiny fraction of the interesting science from The Case For Mars bundled up with pages and pages of Zubrin's terrible humor and creepily reactionary political invective. Message to Zubrin: I don't read your books for this bullshit. Your ideas on space colonization are smart and visionary; writing crap like this makes you look like a crank, and damages your cause. Ugh.
Bourbonface
Apr 11, 2014 Bourbonface rated it did not like it
He's a brilliant scientist, and I highly respect his objectives, but his bitterness in this book is palpable. His attempts at humor come across as sneering rather than jest. He has contempt for NASA and humanity at large-- which doesn't make for compelling reading. After about half the book, I was so put off by his negativity I just put it down and forgot about it.
Ashley Renfrew
Feb 16, 2017 Ashley Renfrew rated it it was amazing
Lots of giggles.
Wyatt Cooper
May 15, 2015 Wyatt Cooper rated it really liked it
By: Robert Zubrin
Published in 2008
Have you ever thought about what will happen when the human race reaches the carrying capacity of Earth? Will we just have a dieback and then rebuild back up and repeat the process? Well if you're one for not wanting to have to watch your friends and family die then maybe this book is the one for you to read.
Robert Zubrin makes a magnificent guidebook on how to survive on mars, w
Robert Spillman
Jul 14, 2013 Robert Spillman rated it it was amazing
This book was written by a Martian. He was considerate in pointing out that he has no relationship with an individual with the same name living on Earth, and who happens to work at NASA. The book was written with a dry sense of humor but filled with actual facts and points about living on Mars. I have a science background and found the information factual and fascinating. It is presented in such a humorous manner that it blends in and you find yourself learning about the true challenges of a MAR ...more
Steve
May 15, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
This was a very different take on what would ordinarily be a very dry subject rife with scientific jargon. He discusses viable means of traveling to, surviving, and prospering on Mars, along with the myriad of ways that a Martian colony could benefit mankind. The book is written in the guise of a primer for a future Martian immigrant in order to allow them to better integrate into the dangerous but lucrative society that they're about to enter.

For anyone who takes issue with the viewpoints of st
Lyndon
Feb 07, 2009 Lyndon rated it liked it
The writing is workable and the humor is mostly of the "look how stupid people are" sort (which according to research is the most common in American humor, but here it's a blunt instrument) in this scientific, pragmatic, and playful look at the reality of colonizing and terraforming Mars. If you warm up to the author's quirks, you'll find him very knowledgable and the scenarios wonderful to imagine, and you may laugh in a blue moon--or often, if you're getting jokes I missed. However, I'd say th ...more
Clinton Hopper
Jul 13, 2011 Clinton Hopper rated it liked it
If you’ve read Zubrin’s The Case for Mars, you’re aware of his rigorous science and compelling arguments for how and why we should pursue a Mars mission, followed by colonization. This book is meant, I assume, as an attempt at a slightly more popular, narrative means of presenting much of the same information. I just didn’t find the book that interesting and I’m concerned the disdainful, laze-faire attitude of the narrator makes Zubrin’s arguments and information seems untrustworthy (one needs o ...more
Chris White
Apr 10, 2013 Chris White rated it really liked it
How To Live On Mars is a handy little guidebook detailing everything you might need to know about your new home. Set one hundred odd years in the future, Zubrin adopts a LonelyPlanet-style voice for his guidebook, with topics ranging from How to Find a Partner to How to Get a Job. It's light and casual style makes it an easy read, and the heavy science sections are marked out at he end of each chapter. Fast and funny, coming from one of the pioneers and loudest voices arguing for the colonisatio ...more
Matthew
Aug 20, 2009 Matthew rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny, scientastic
Conceived as a satire written as a guidebook to future settlers, this book is interesting but frustrating. Probably because Zubrin is so wacked that I can't tell the difference between his tongue-in-cheek jabs at modern American society and his earnest blueprint for the Martian future. Which, as far as I can tell, seems to be a radical libertarian free-for-all zone filled with rampant corruption, government by graft and croneyism, and rule by crime syndicate, all for a disgustingly value-free--a ...more
Frederick Gault
Dec 09, 2014 Frederick Gault rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, fiction
First let me say Zubrin's science is first rate. But Jesus is Mars really going to be settled by crooks, con-men, swindlers and odor-challenged losers? Okay, it's tongue firmly in cheek, I get that. But I feel Zubrin's true opinions lurk beneath the surface. NASA is populated by blithering morons who can't find their asses with both hands? Except for, you know, the putting men on the moon, the Hubble and exploring the solar system thing. I frankly got tired and then finally a little pissed off w ...more
Patty Jansen
Dec 23, 2010 Patty Jansen rated it really liked it
I chuckled my way through most of this. While it's meant to be non-fiction, and there is certainly a very large non-fictional basis for this book, a lot of the commentary is akin to fiction. The author's (assumed) opinions come through loud and clear, although I half-suspect he's taking the mickey a lot of the time.
I cannot help but wonder how Zubrin would do as a fiction writer.
Anyway, this is a fairly detailed account of what settlement on Mars might look like, based on solid science, with soc
D.tabor
Apr 03, 2011 D.tabor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly interesting. I like the science aspect and how it discusses several different ways, in comparison to the most economical and/or most effective method of doing something (Obtaining metals from ore for example). Additionally I like how it maintains a very human aspect throughout the book regarding things like dress, housing, employment, and social activities.
Trey Nowell
Apr 17, 2013 Trey Nowell rated it it was amazing
Made me laugh, but has some realistic ways that may become a reality living on Mars. I personally feel we will land there in about 20 years, probably and independent mission funded by a multi-millionaire. A lot of $ to be made mining sources here such as iron. I advise this for more advanced readers that know science, the ultimate book for geeks :)
Cris
I'm ready to start my life on Mars!

*sheepish grin* I was disappointed each time I had to put the book down for some reason and remembered that Mars isn't actually in the process of being colonized right now. Zubrin did an *excellent* job of making the idea of colonizing Mars seem realistic and very reasonable. (The occasional humor poked at today's science was just some subtle icing.)
R.K. MacPherson
Oct 31, 2011 R.K. MacPherson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Not only is this book packed with facts, figures, and technologies needed to build a bright new future on Mars, but it is one of the funniest reads I've ever had. If you love science, Mars, or just good writing, this book won't disappoint.
Anne
Jun 03, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
Evidently the best way to live on Mars will be as something of a criminal, or at least a scofflaw. Funny, but also a bit depressing for those of us with sneaking noble dreams about humanity's future.
Beth
Oct 24, 2008 Beth rated it did not like it
I didn't get into this book. I started reading it, got bored, started flipping through it, got bored, and gave up. It's too Sci-Fi, which I don't enjoy. If someone likes Sci-Fi, they'll probably really enjoy it.
Patrick Ritchie
Mar 04, 2014 Patrick Ritchie rated it really liked it
A humorous voyage to the mars of the future as told by a martian. It's not my favorite of Zubrin's books, but it was an entertaining look at how some of the ideas in Mars Direct might play out on Mars.
Benjamin
Sep 14, 2011 Benjamin rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Written as a humorous guidebook from the future, the book examines some of the science and issues of colonizing Mars. On the downside, I think author often got a little too silly, especially when offering suggestions that fall in the more illicit category.
Katrina
Aug 30, 2009 Katrina rated it it was ok
I know this is supposed to be a satirical guidebook, but the style was too rough for my taste. If the narrator was a real person giving me advice about Mars, I would not listen to him simply because he is a jerk.
Heather
Jun 03, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Cute & comical, but a lot of the wording/math/chemistry was over my head--I wish the author would've broken the wording down for the more complex parts for "normal folk" like me, who don't inherently understand full-throttle chemistry and NASA-based ideas as much as he (the author) does...
Kris Roadruck
Sep 28, 2012 Kris Roadruck rated it really liked it
Cheeky hard sci-fi guide to life on mars. If you like hard science fiction, you will like this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mining the Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • The Problem of the Media: U.S. Communication Politics in the Twenty-First Century
  • Social Darwinism in American Thought
  • Dragonfly: NASA and the Crisis Aboard Mir
  • Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games
  • 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • The Weather of the Future
  • Poisons: From Hemlock to Botox to the Killer Bean of Calabar
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space (Apogee Books Space)
  • Almost a Psychopath: Do I (or Does Someone I Know) Have a Problem with Manipulation and Lack of Empathy?
  • The Ecotechnic Future: Envisioning a Post-Peak World
  • The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change

“...[C]ontrary to your Earth experience and its derived cynicism, on Mars, such things are possible. Yes, fully possible, even for you, a person who obviously was a complete social failure on Earth--otherwise you wouldn't be here.” 3 likes