Start by marking “Katie Loves the Kittens” as Want to Read:
Katie Loves the Kittens

Katie Loves the Kittens

The acclaimed author and illustrator of Chickens to the Rescue has created a sweet, funny, and entirely irresistible new character—a little dog just bursting with good intentions.

Katie is so excited when Sara Ann brings home three little kittens that she can’t stop herself from howling “AROOOOO!” and trying to run after them. She loves them so much!

But Katie’s enthusias
Published September 16th 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Katie Loves the Kittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie Loves the Kittens

Miriam
Feb 07, 2013 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Katie doesn't mean to scare the kittens -- she LOVES them. She loves them soooo much that she cannot control her excitement, which she naturally expresses by barking and howling and leaping all over, sending the tiny newcomers flying in terror. Then Katie gets scolded and sent out of the room. Poor, sad Katie!

Himmelman's illustrations are perfect. Katie's face and body language are so expressive.

I also like it because it reminds me of the little dog who lives next door and how she SO BADLY want
Betsy
Aug 11, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing
The secret to author popularity lies in building a faithful fan base. If you’ve written/illustrated something particularly good in the past then odds are that if you continue to create high-quality books you will garner a lot of fans in the process. Now John Himmelman is an interesting case. At first he does all these nature-based books with titles like Pill Bug’s Life and Discovering Moths. That’s nice and all, but then one year he suddenly breaks out of the nature-based mold and creates somet ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 13, 2013 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all dog and cat lovers ages 2-112
I’m trying to cut back on picture books, but I find myself making many exceptions, and it’s books such as this that have me glad of that. This is a really special book and it’s one of my favorites of the picture books I’ve recently read.

Katie reminds me so much of my old dog Jenny and the meeting of the kittens reminded me very much of Jenny’s introduction to my neighbor friend’s two cats, though she was on a leash and didn’t make any sounds.

This author-illustrator definitely knows both dogs and
Natalie
Aug 12, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Katie the dog, comes off like a bull in a china shop when new kittens are brought home. But Katie is just sooo excited to play with the new little furry mewing things, she just can't help herself.
Marjorie Ingall
Jan 15, 2009 Marjorie Ingall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-3-6
Maxine (age 4) howled with laughter at this. Even too-cool-for-school Josie kept looking over at the pages and giggling. The illustrations are divine --what an expressive pooch! In her clamped-down determination to control herself, Katie looks like she's going to vibrate right off the page. The way the kittens are tossed aloft by her overenthusiastic lovin' is perfectly rendered too. You have to be a dramatic reader (and a noise-tolerant human) to read this one aloud -- it involves lots of drama ...more
Luann
Dec 19, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2011
From the outside I didn't think this looked like anything special. But once I started reading, Katie won me over! You probably know a dog just like Katie who really wants to behave but just can't always do it. Katie loves the kittens and doesn't want to scare them, but she gets too excited and just can't control herself: "Aroooooo!" And then afterwards she is sorry and apologizes to her owner by licking her face. This is a great one for both dog lovers and cat lovers.
Jill
Sep 30, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Sweet, sweet book. It brought tears to my eyes when Katie was finally able to control her excitement around the kittens.
Kimberly
Freaking ADORABLE, especially Katie's facial expressions. Kids will love it and relate to REALLY REALLY wanting to do something even though they shouldn't!
Amanda Coppedge
Oct 06, 2016 Amanda Coppedge rated it really liked it
Do yourself a favor and watch the movie of this story--it is hysterically funny.
Liz
Feb 19, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing
Week 5
Katie is super excited when her owner Sara Ann brings home three kittens. Katie can't contain herself. "Aroooooo," and the kittens scatter. Katie's attempt to get close to the kittens only scares them away and gets her in trouble. Feeling worse than ever, Katie hides in her bed all day. When she wakes up she finds that she is not alone, the kittens are all sleeping in Katie's bed. Trying super hard to contain herself, Katie finally gets what she wanted, and Sara Ann praises her for it.

"Ka
Sarah Sammis
Feb 24, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Sara Ann has a trio of new kitten and a very enthusiastic dog named Katie. Katie Loves the Kittens by John Himmelman portrays with humor what it can be like to introduce a kitten to a dog.

Sara Ann tries to follow all the steps to keep Katie and the kittens separated while the two get used to each other. Unfortunately Katie is so excited by the kittens that she does everything she can to see it. And when she does, she lets out a happy "AROOO!" which scares the kittens and sends them spiraling off
Sally
Summary
This story is about Katie, a dog who loves the 3 kittens her owner brings home, but despite her best intentions something happens to hurt or scare the kittens when Katie tries to play with them or show how much she loves them. The pictures are simple and there are a lot of movement in them. An enjoyable story.
Recommended for families with young kids and pets and are trying to explain to the children about how dogs and cats could play together.

By extension, it can also be used as a parall
Roben
Sep 06, 2016 Roben rated it really liked it
There once was a dog named Katie. And when Katie was excited she would bark, very loudly. AROOO! AROOOO! Three new kittens have come to live with her - and Katie is VERY excited. Unfortunately, her loud AROOOS! frighten the kittens. Katie loves the new kittens soooo much! What's an excited dog to do? Read this story to find out!
Heidi-Marie
I love the pictures in this book--they made me smile so much! And the dog reminded me of the female dog my landlords own. Interesting from the dog's perspective, but a cute story. I think the preschoolers would get the pictures.

10/10/12 & 10/11/12: This book was all right in preschool storytime. I think I did better with the smaller Thu. group as they could see the pictures better. The larger group on Wed. did well in responding to my "call for action" (show me sad faces, show me excited fac
Jenna
Sep 04, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Katie is a small dog who has an owner named Sara Ann. One day Sara Ann brings home three kittens that Katie is determined to play with. The only problem is Katie is loud and scares the new housemates. Katie is sad that the kittens don't want to play with her. She gets excited when extra food is set out for her, but becomes sad again when Sara Ann tells her she has eaten the kittens' food. In the end Katie does make some new friends when she learns to quiet herself a little and Sara Ann is very p ...more
Brandy Locchetta
Katie is an enthusiastic dog who happens to love KITTENS! This is a great story to share with young children as most of them can identify with family pets. This book is also good for discussing friendship and emotion as the children learn about how Katie felt when the new kittens come home, how she felt when they ran away from her and how they feel when their friends don't want to play with them. When discussing family pets or friends this book could add several words to a classroom word wall, b ...more
Dolly
Mar 18, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
This is a cute story that helps to teach young children to be quiet, gentle and kind with small animals. While Katie is a dog, her behavior around the new kittens (being loud, overly excited and chasing them) is similar to how younger children behave. Poor Katie, the kittens are shy and she gets in trouble when she's just trying to be nice. In the end, however, she discovers how loving they can be when she is quiet. Our youngest brought this home from her school library and read the whole book a ...more
Corby Lancaster
Feb 05, 2009 Corby Lancaster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lled-402-catalog
Genre- Picture Book

Reading Level- K-3

Topic and Themes- Katie the dog is excited to have new kittens in the home. Her excitement scares the kittens. Eagerness in making friends

Curricula Use- Read Aloud

Social- How some emotions can be misunderstood.

Literary element- Katie the dog is excited to have kittens at her house, but her excitement is scary to the kittens.

Text and Pictures- Text and pictures go together to tell the story.

Summary- Katie the dog is excited to have the kittens at her house, b
babyhippoface
Mar 09, 2010 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
When Katie gets excited, she howls. It's what dogs do! And when her owner brings home three little kittens, Katie could not be more excited. She howls with glee--and promptly sends the frightened kitties scattering. Katie wants so badly to play with the kittens, but every time she's with them she gets too excited and her howling scares them away. Katie is so sad. Will she ever get to play with those cute and cuddly kitties?

Cute little book, and especially funny if you have dogs and cats as pets.
Sarah Best
Aug 23, 2014 Sarah Best rated it really liked it
I like this book because of the humor that is expressed throughout the entire story. Children can laugh along while reading this book, which can make it enjoyable. This story is about a dog, Katie, who loves three little kittens that her owner just brought home. All Katie wants is to play with the kittens, but instead she scares them away. Finally, at the end of the story the kittens are laying with Katie in her bed when Katie wakes up. This book would be good for an animal theme and for all chi ...more
Rachel
Jan 10, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
My girls have really enjoyed this book about a misunderstood, excitable Jack Russell. A sweet story about unconditional love and using self-control.

Katie Loves the Kittens also has an added appeal since Scholastic turned it into a book-on-video. Afterwards, the video had an interview with the author and illustrator who seemed to really have a sense of the natural world (especially animals) and also what it takes to be a writer and illustrator. Hearing from him, made me appreciate the book all th
Rachael
Sep 09, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
This is an adorable picture book about a dog unable to control her excitement when three new kittens come to live with her family. Much like A Day in the Life of Murphy, Katie is a very realistic dog character who reacts to things exactly as I have seen dogs react. The kittens are expressive and fun to watch in the illustrations. Plus, the ending is a pretty good lesson about patience and compromise - but only if you make sure to look at the very last page, not stop with the text. I liked this e ...more
Mickey
Feb 14, 2012 Mickey rated it it was amazing
This was a charming little book. Poor Katie dog was trying to show her fondness for the kittens her human brought home, but wound up scaring them half to death. They eventually sorted things out, and everyone was happy. Simple story, but the illustrations are what made this book for me. Katie's sad, guilty face as she would retreat to her corner reminded me of every dog I've ever had. The kittens- especially the little orange one shown belly up, cuddling up to Katie once things settled down- rem ...more
Linda
Mar 12, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
This is a cute book, one that I thought my granddaughters would like, and wow, they did! I've read it about three times each now, laughing at this dog's antics over his owner Sara Ann's new pets, three kittens. Katie the dog is so excited about the new members of the household that she keeps jumping and running around them, howling too. They are terrified and Katie keeps getting into a lot of trouble. It does all work out, with a bit of self-control and new ways to act learned. The expressions a ...more
Kari
Aug 01, 2010 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This reminds me of my dog, Ruby. The dog in the story, Katie, really wants to make friends with the new kittens in the household. Her enthusiasm scares the kittens, and she must learn that sometimes it’s better to let the other side take the lead when making friends. This could be included on a unit about making friends and making them feel comfortable. Themes include friendship and acceptance. This was a Virginia’s Reader’s Choice.
Rcltigger
Jul 10, 2012 Rcltigger rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Haven't we all known or owned a dog like Katie, who loves so passionately that she can freak other poeple/animals out with the outpouring of her love? Poor Katie. She just loves those three new kittens so much that she can't help but exclaim with a loud "Arooo" and wag her tail anytime she is around them. But never fear--after a few false starts, Katie will learn her lesson and have three new friends.
Bethany
Jan 13, 2011 Bethany rated it liked it
This was quite a funny book! Katie the dog is so excited by the presence of the new kittens that she howls with joy. But this scares the kittens and makes Katie's owner scold her. After much trial and error, Katie finds that she can quietly snuggle with the kittens.

This book reminds me of my own dog who loves our cats and always wants to sniff them and play with them, but the cats don't really like her back, but Roxy keeps trying!
Purl Scout
Oct 20, 2010 Purl Scout rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-reads
Hooray for Katie, the overzealous pup, whose excitement over the addition of her three new kitten-siblings keeps getting her into trouble. Katie Loves the Kittens is a perfect read-aloud story. The illustrations are hilarious, especially the facial expressions worn by alternately excited and ashamed Katie and the anxious, terrorized kittens. And the make the book even better, we got our beloved copy from a Scholastic Book Fair for just $4.99.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Dex (3 y.o.) LOVED this book and would have me read it to him ad nauseum if I'd let him. It's a simple story of Katie, an excitable dog, who just loves the new kittens her owner has brought home. She loves them so much and gets so worked up when she sees them that she ends up howling with delight and frightening the kittens. In the end, Katie learns how to control herself so she can finally play with the kittens.

Good illustrations.
Gwen the Librarian
Oct 10, 2008 Gwen the Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This picture book is soooooo cute and hilarious! I was laughing out loud. But it is also a little sad. Poor Katie.

Katie the dog is sooooo excited when new kittens come to live at her house, but her way of showing excitement and love scares the kittens, so she doesn't get to play with them. Poor Katie! Will the kittens ever be ready to play with Katie?
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • The Perfect Nest
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Dog in Charge
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • RRRalph
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Oh No, George!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Dogs
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Move Over, Rover!
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college (S
More about John Himmelman...