Start by marking “S.E. Hinton: the Collection: The Outsiders / Rumble Fish / That Was Then, This Is Now” as Want to Read:

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  447 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
As popular today as they were when first published more than thirty years ago, The Outsiders and That Was Then, This Is Now are finally available in one handy edition Both titles incorporate universal themes of loyalty, independence, and alienation in a realistic voice that speaks directly to young adult readers. The Outsiders: Growing up in a rough city surrounded by viol ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about S.E. Hinton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S.E. Hinton

Lana Mnajjed
Nov 01, 2011 Lana Mnajjed rated it it was amazing
This is the BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean i like almost every book i read but this one is seriously amazing. It has so much things that keep pulling you in to read. It has adventure, mystery, love and some comedy here and there. It is a very heart touching story that I will never forget in my life. It is a book for everyone who likes to read so i would recommend it to anyone older than 10. Again, its the best book in the world even though it started out as a school assignment so I'm ...more
Pablo
Apr 14, 2008 Pablo rated it really liked it
The main character of this book is Rusty James he is a rude guy that likes to play pool with his friends, and love to fiht with other groups. He always want to be like his big brother Motorcycle Boy. The theme of this is try to enjoy the live be cool but be responsible dont be like Rusty James to get in problems and maked that his big brother solved.I appreciate the author because on pg 11 Rusty James act very rude,"Whats the matter with you?Give me a cigarrete. And when I was reading I like can ...more
Jon
Jan 14, 2009 Jon rated it liked it
i rember reading them in 8th grade.. i could relate to the fokes in the book and i think that helped me setul in to my new live from the big city to small town living..lol some day i should dig them up again and see if i still like them as i did then..
Shell
Jan 03, 2016 Shell rated it really liked it
loved The Outsiders, liked Tex, the other were ok. The Outsiders is still my favourite book. has been 25 years since i first read it! makes me feel old!
Story Revolution
Published four years after her phenomenally successful first novel, The Outsiders, That Was Then, This Is Now confirmed S. E. Hinton's place in the canon of young adult literature. Returning to the same working-class landscape, Hinton paints a deeply-felt portrait of best friends Bryon and Mark, as they grow up and grow apart. Puffin is proud to publish this award-winning classic for a new generation of readers. A mature, disciplined novel which excites a response in the readerhard to forget. -- ...more
Krait
Jun 23, 2012 Krait rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Outsiders explores concerns all teens experience. Violence, alcohol, social class differences, what it means to stand up for your mates, death, brotherhood, heroism and cowardliness, and more.

The language is harsh and realistic, but I sometimes struggle with the fact that at 14 years of age, Ponyboy is portrayed as so cynical, yet innocent and dreamy too.

The story is the classic coming of age theme that sees Ponyboy grasp the reality of life, while also realising that he can follow his dream
Yulisa Olvera
Dec 26, 2014 Chloe rated it it was amazing
best books ever!
Omar
Dec 04, 2012 Omar rated it it was amazing
This book is by far the best book I have ever read in my 13 year old life and I am sure that it is the best book S.E. Hinton wrote. It gives you a mixture of genres which are:
Action
Thriller
Murder
This book shows you the life of teenagers as rough as it could get, killing, hiding and fighting.
I would recommend this book to 13-17 year old teenagers.
Shayn
Mar 15, 2011 Shayn rated it it was amazing
it was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy
Jul 20, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
I REALLY liked these books as a teenager. They are about teenaged boys who have rough beginnings but learn about life in that stage that we all hope to learn, our teens. They are very rugged and solitary. I always found it fascinating that they were written by a woman.
Andrea
Feb 27, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
this books , teach you alot . The reality of life , what truly is and means for other people . I love this books because it has good lessons and sad stories . they're good for teens , not show them what can be some result of being in those kinds of life .
Jlacyfraz
Feb 20, 2013 Jlacyfraz rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I taught in my role as 8th grade Honors English teachers where the cool kids were black and the white kids were bussed in. We all feel like outsiders at some time-- especially as adolescents.
Isaac
Nov 17, 2011 Isaac rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book and I am excited to read the other books she has written. I recommend this book to all my friends because it teaches life lessons that everybody shoudl know.
Theresa
May 03, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
Hinton, S.E.
a growing up story in rural america
Louisakra
Jan 08, 2012 Louisakra rated it did not like it
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddd IT! Thanx Mrs.Lowry
Kayla
Nov 10, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
greatest dam book evaaarrr !!!!!! it is soo realistic lol if you are ever bored you should just read it honestly :)
Tracey
Oct 27, 2013 Tracey rated it really liked it
This review concerns 'That Was Then, This Is Now ' only - it's a short read but one I enjoyed, a coming of age tale.
Thom Riddle
Apr 26, 2013 Thom Riddle rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite collection of books from the Secondary English curriculum.
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah added it
who hasn't read this one? It was ok, but i read it in school cos i had to...
Makenna
May 14, 2013 Makenna marked it as to-read
I've read the outsiders. But now I want to read the next 2 books. So excited.
Gemma
May 10, 2012 Gemma rated it it was amazing
adored these books as a kid. still love them when i re-read them as an adult
Cole
Sep 07, 2012 Cole rated it really liked it
pretty much the books i read oer and over agan n junior high.
Becki
Jul 30, 2011 Becki rated it really liked it
read for another hs english class. love it to this day.
Elizabeth
THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW by S.E. HINTON (1974)
XANAXUSER07
Aug 20, 2008 XANAXUSER07 rated it really liked it
I REALLY LIKED READING THESE BOOKS
Jessica
Aug 26, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Robin
Dec 29, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
These stories changed my life when I read them as a young, impressionable adolescent.
Natalie
AMAZING
  • The Territorial Imperative: A Personal Inquiry Into the Animal Origins of Property and Nations
  • Sarah Dessen set
  • The Highs and Lows of Being Mia (The Princess Diaries, #3-4)
  • House of Israel, Vol. 1: The Return
  • Spirited Away Picture Book
  • The Distance from the Heart of Things
  • If You Loved Me (Hamilton High, #7)
  • Ballywhinney Girl
  • Amy and Laura
  • The Writer's Desk
  • A Kiss Goodbye  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #3)
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • Babies in the Bayou
  • Success Journal: Meet Your Goals One Page at a Time
  • Letting Go of Bobby James: Or How I Found My Self of Steam
  • The Third Twin / Paper Money
  • A Moment Like Forever
  • Paper Dreams: The Art & Artists of Disney Storyboards
S.E. Hinton, was and still is, one of the most popular and best known writers of young adult fiction. Her books have been taught in some schools, and banned from others. Her novels changed the way people look at young adult literature.

Susan Eloise Hinton was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has always enjoyed reading but wasn't satisfied with the literature that was being written for young adults, wh
More about S.E. Hinton...