Start by marking “Rumble Fish” as Want to Read:
Rumble Fish

Rumble Fish

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Published September 1st 2000 by Dramatic Pub Co (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Rumble Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumble Fish

Patrick O'Neil
Recently, having been somewhat forced into YA literature (see my review of The Last Summer Of The Death Warriors ) - a genre I've never really explored - I made some disparaging remarks of the genre, which a friend took offense to. She said, "not all YA is like that damn book you read. Try S.E. Hinton's Rumble Fish, it's tough as shit - sorta like the O.G. of YAs." With a pitch like that how could I resist? I'd seen the movie, I had no idea it was a book. But then, at a scant hundred and twenty ...more
Mickey
By far, Rumblefish was my favorite S.E. Hinton book when I was a young teenager. I know that The Outsiders is generally considered the best of her young adult work, but I think that Rumblefish is a better book on several levels:

1.It is more honest about the lives of young adults. The Outsiders would mention some things: drinking (although no drugs), cheating in relationships, dysfunctional families, random violence, but they wouldn't show it. Also, the consequences of those actions were more sta
Cwn_annwn_13
The first time I read this book I didn't like it as much because I didn't have quite the dark surreal vision of it that Coppola had from the film he made based on this book in my head. I re-read it after watching the movie (which is one of my all time favorites) again recently and had a different view of it. I actually even had the great soundtrack playing in my head most of the time while I was reading it.

Rumble Fish differs from other S.E Hinton books in that most of her books are mainly based
Brendan
Nov 07, 2014 Brendan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adult
Recommended to Brendan by: Starbucks
While I know the novel was set ~70's ish - it has definitely has this timeless quality that I appreciated. It's definitely written with a YA audience in mind, and the wording is simple, however there is a directness to the prose I was drawn to. The character's thoughts, feelings, words, are often 'explained' with though provoking statements. Short things that, more then once, gave me a pause. The real depth of the novel, the reason I'm 4 staring this when, from the outside, it seems like it shou ...more
Leot
I think it is good book depending whats your favorite genre of a book this genre would be action. Its no a long book you can read it very quickly but pay attention to the details it makes you seem like your right their watching every thing thats happening. It's theme is old gang viollence like rumbles and other type of fights. To sum it up I say its a good book in my opinion since I like action books. This is not everybody's opinion just mine.
David S
Nov 03, 2014 David S is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
In S.E. Hinton’s novel, Rumblefish, the author’s main theme is to be true to yourself. The story takes place in the 1970’s in a southwestern city. Rusty-James is the typical fourteen-year old bad boy who gets into trouble as a teenager. His only goal in life is to be like his brother, the Motorcycle Boy. Whatever the Motorcycle Boy does, Rusty-James copies and follows. There is no parental support at home. His mom left the family to move to California, and his dad is drunk all the time. He does ...more
Jen Mays
Fourteen year old Rusty-James seems much older; in fact, it's hard to think of him as fourteen except he when he mentions it. Abandoned as a toddler by his mother, he's grown up with a mostly-drunk father and an older brother who was once president of the neighborhood gang. As a result, Rusty-James has been nursed on a nectar of violence and rebellion, leaving him at odds with himself and those around him when his brother mysteriously disappears.

Trying to fill his brother's shoes proves to be a
Dave Archer
Just read this yesterday, only 100 pages. It's an easy read about a tough kid and his older brother, and a close friend who is nothing like him. He's a simple mind and yearns for the gangs to come back to his city, as he felt those were the glory days. He talks a big game about fighting and cutting class but one can see how much he wants to be loved. I enjoyed the writing of S.E. Hinton and have already added a few more titles to my library. Check it out!
Steven Palmer
I am reading Rumble Fish right now but what i have gotten so far is that Rusty-James is the main character of the novel. Rusty-James is 14 and he has already started drinking, smoking, gang-fighting and playing pool for money. Rusty-James has a older brother The Motorcycle Boy.Rusty James has a problem fitting into society. His problems are solved with fighting since he is not smart and he looks to his older brother Motorcycle Boy for guidance. When his brother flees his own criminal charges Rus ...more
Ry Ry:) :)
Amazing book its very awosme
Deirdre
I read Rumble Fish and That Was Then, This is Now in middle school, after reading and loving The Outsiders for class. I remember being really disappointed in Rumble Fish and That Was Then, This is Now, and I remember being pretty depressed by both stories. That said, I don't remember many details of the books, so I might have a different perspective if I re-read them now. However, considering the current length of my to-read list, that might not happen anytime soon.
Jeremy
I don't know how I never got around to reading Hinton's Rumblefish, since I remember enjoying The Outsiders quite a lot. This one explores similar territory, and while it's dated, and the central conceit of fourteen-year olds who sound and act more like people four or five years older isn't completely convincing, it's a powerfully economical book that's hard to put down. I loved it.
Zachary Zakora
I thought the book RumbleFish was a pretty good book. It had some stuff in it that i didn't expect and suprised me and then there was some stuff that i could guess would happen. This book was similar to The Outsiders,which is also by S.E.Hinton. The time that the two books were placed were close to eachother. If you liked The Outsiders then you will probably enjoy this book also
Brad
While the book of The Outsiders is far better than the film, the film of Rumble Fish is better than the book, in my opinion. (Both films are by Francis Ford Coppola and star both Matt Dillon and Diane Lane. They are shot in completely different styles, though, which explains why one works and the other doesn't.) Rumble FIsh is a five star film, but not book.
Cathy DuPont
I saw the movie many years ago, and when I saw the book, picked it up not fully recalling the story or subject.

Finding oneself (or not), coming of age in a tough inner city, or becoming a man through learning life's lessons; they;re stories that never really change.

Paperback above was originally published in 1968.
Jude Brigley
I really like this book with the hero's brother having hair the colour of a Hershey bar wrapper. This is a rite of passage novel which I think people should read while still in their teens. It came as a surprise that the writer is female as the book captures male posturing so well. Great narrative voice created.
Christina-Rose
The book itself overall was pretty good, I remember liking it, nothing too extraordinary (that I can remember). It was sad though... about a boy and how his life, and everything he built up to believe about himself and the regard and respect others had toward him, slowly start to fall apart in front of him.
Grace
Short, vivid, and really packs a punch. Mostly just made me sad. It reminded me of short stories we read for book club last time ("The Dead," "The Swimmer") where finding any redemption in the story might really depend on the reader's own life experience, or even mood that day.
Jillian
This is my first Hinton--which is surprising because everyone on the planet seems to have read The Outsiders .

I enjoyed this novel--definitely an easy read. Thinking it might be a great book to teach in summer school this year??
Phyllis
Dark, dreamlike novella about misguided hero worship and idealizing the past. Probably my favorite Hinton novel yet. Black leather melodrama that reads like an amazing literary collaboration between the Shangri Las and Kenneth Anger.
Jeff
Best quote about California "California..is like a beautiful wild kid on heroin, high as a kite & thinking she's on top of the world, not knowing she's dying, not believing it even if you show her the marks."
Damon Isherwood
S.E. Hinton is so empathetic of boys growing up that I was amazed to find out she was a boy. Each word is perfect and motorcycle boy is one of the great anti-heroes of western literature.
Dizzyk
Jul 02, 2008 Dizzyk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I thought this book(and movie) was WAY better than The Outsiders. I would like to have a hard cover edition because I reread it constantly.
MidnightRose
Jul 25, 2008 MidnightRose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Loved the book! Hated the movie. The character Rusty-James is a very exciting character. S.E. Hinton is one of the best authors.
Joy Rathman
Good story, but I didn't really see the point in it. It covered one incident and didn't have a very clear ending.
Maysa
I liked The Outsiders so much I read all of her other books, but none of them were as good.
Chris Thompson
Amazing book if you liked the outsiders worth a read for any young man struggling
Karla
This is a classic. Great story and sad too.
Gsandoval2 sandoval
Classic America, broken family scene.
Leah Madsen
Not as good as her other stuff.
  • Tex
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon
  • Chasing Dogma
  • The Essential Hemingway
  • One More Sunday
  • The Wind Blows Backward
  • The Mastermind of Mars and A Fighting Man of Mars (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • The Pigman's Legacy
  • Behold the Many
  • Three Lives & Tender Buttons
  • The Confessions of Nat Turner
  • Human Is?: A Philip K. Dick Reader (Gollancz S.F.)
  • Eva
  • The Bumblebee Flies Anyway
  • The Rendezvous and Other Stories
  • What Daddy Did
  • A Gift of Magic
Taken Without Consent/ Out of Their Heads Young Blood: Five Plays for Young Performers