Start by marking “Eyes of a Stranger (Autumn Rain, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Eyes of a Stranger (Autumn Rain, #0.5)

Eyes of a Stranger (Autumn Rain 0.5)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  104 reviews
On the first day of her new life, Tawnia McKnight finds herself in Oregon, her fifth state in ten years. Another new job, new friends, a heartache left far behind. Maybe in Portland she can at last find what she is looking for. Maybe she can even forget Bret Winn. But when a tragic bridge collapse rocks the city, Tawnia is thrust back into the life of the man she thought s...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of a Stranger

Hollie Robb
Heidi
I read this book for book group and I'm glad I did. It was a fun little mystery.

The book starts out with a tragic bridge collapse. Many people are killed or injured. Several are missing. Bret, an expert on bridges, is called in to figure out what happened. He agrees to come because it gives him an excuse to see Tawnia again. He and Tawnia had broken up a few months before but he still kinda likes her. While there, he sees Autumn. Autumn had been on the bridge when it collapsed. She got out, her...more
Beth Pearson
I was annoyed at this story starting out...it seemed very predictable and I thought I'd have to wait for the ending for the characters to figure out what was obvious. Happily they were smarter than I hoped and the "obvious" things got settled and I was able to enjoy the story....both romance and who dunnit. I see on GR this is part of a series...I'd read the next one.
Darla
(Genre:fiction/mystery) I feel bad that I am only giving this 2 stars, but for me it was a lukewarm read. The story deals with twin sisters and the supposed connection that they have despite not knowing about the others existence until they meet when grown-up. It has several story lines going on at the same time. A bridge mysteriously collapses, killing many people and so one of the main characters is actively trying to pinpoint the cause of the bridge failure. Then you have the twins trying to...more
Kelli
When I started reading this book I didn't realize it was actually the prequel to Imprints, which I have already read. I didn't like it as much as Imprints- it was definitely a lot less action and a LOT more character development. I also wasn't a huge fan of her date being the bad guy in the end because the author made him out to be this big fireman hero and then he ends up being involved in a terrorist plot? It just felt like a weird way to get him out of the picture so that her and Bret could e...more
Jodie
From the beginning, this book had me hooked. The plot was awesome and had me guessing the whole time. It was a mystery as to what was going to happen next. The only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars was because it is hard for me to believe that the FBI would miss such a clues in real life. I also cannot believe that the FBI would not be able to get the story from the main guy, whom I can't say without giving the story away. Also, I don't think that Bret would have gotten off, seeing how he kn...more
Not the most exciting book, but better than the one about Bret's sister Liana. I definately prefer Nunes LDS novels BY FAR! I probably would give it a 2 1/2 star rating if that were possible. I feel bad rating it so low because I adore Rachel Ann Nunes. She has written some of my most favorite LDS novels. But I guess I just don't enjoy her style when she's writing for the masses instead of the LDS audiences. It's pretty slow moving and somewhat predictable, and I didn't fall in love with a singl...more
Rachel
I might get some flack for this, but I find a lot of mainstream LDS authors are kind of fluffy, repetitive and I usually don't read all their books. That said, Rachel Nunes writes good books that peak my interest and take me into her world for a day. This book was an easy read but enjoyable, it's the kind of book to read when you are sick and have to stay down because it takes your mind off things but will not change your life or cause you in be in deep thought. BUT-good book, good read, good au...more
Robyn
I had read another book about Summer Rain and was hoping that this first book would give me a little more insight into how she got her special talent. There was a decent love story and mystery involved but nothing amazing. I will probably try one more in this series and then that will be enough for me. No sex, some kissing. Plenty of violence with the bridge collapsing and people dying, also shooting and potential kidnapping, and they describe a body that has been decomposing in the water for qu...more
Casey
So, this woman moves to a new town on the same day there's this massive bridge collapse which claims several lives. She soon meets this stranger and discovers a secret that's been kept from her since she was born and her and this stranger then set out to reveal all the details of this "secret" Meanwhile an old friend of the main character tries to solve the mystery behind the bridge collapse.
Not really a suspenseful read and kinda slow, but the person behind the bridge collapse is quite shocking...more
Susan
Although this book is by an LDS author, it has no religion in it at all, which kind of disappointed me. It's a fast read, and I really enjoyed it, although some parts of it were very predictable. I've liked all of Nunes' books I've read so far.

It's about a young woman who was adopted and has felt kind of lost and alone all of her life. When she moves to Portland, she meets another young woman who looks very much like her. It's also about a bridge blowing up and has a little romance thrown in, to...more
Ashleigh
I really enjoyed reading this one! Its by an LDS author so it's clean, but it isn't a LDS based story. I thought this book did a pretty good job of capturing my attention and I finished it pretty quick. It was a fun mystery story with quite a surprise at the end! I did think that the whole "mystery" between the two sisters wasn't so much a mystery and at the big "ah-ha!" moment in the book I was kinda like, "well, of course we already knew that!" But all in all, I really enjoyed it!
Carol
I have read several of Nunes' novels. This was one of the ones that I liked best. It had mystery, love and a surprise (for me) ending, all rolled into one. However, I wondered why she added some of the characters in the book. It kind of left me hanging on what happened to them. I liked it wasn't all "Molly Mormon" and that the church was not mentioned in this novel. I like Mormon fiction, but sometimes it is good to have a novel with no mention of religion.
Ruth
Rachel Ann Nunes has a great knack for creating an interesting story. I was hooked by chapter 6 and blew through this book quickly. This book made me realize how much I love mysteries--the puzzle factor. I LOVE puzzles. There were two mysteries in this and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this book. Great character development. Great story development, great reveal action at the end. I look forward to reading the rest of her many, many books!
Lacey
This was a different book then what Rachel Ann Nunes normally writes. It was more of a mystery then a love story. She did very well and brought some great twists to the story that I didn't see coming, she also brought up twists that I did see coming. For her first "mystery" she did a pretty good job, there were of course still some unaswered questions in my mind by that's the way it goes sometimes.
Kathryn
great book. Kept you guessing till the end if tawnie and brett were going to end up together and what and who were the real cause for the collapse of the portland bridge. That was going on at the same time that Tawnie meets one of the survivors of the collapse. A girl who looks just like her and who was also adopted. Great balance for suspense and romance to keep the reader's interest peaked.
Angie
I think it would be totally wierd to find someone that is my identical. I read another book last year (Identical Twins??) where twins who didn't know they had a twin found each other, though not in this way. I could actually guess the bad guys early on and was glad to find out I was right. I'm not usually one who figures it out in this kind of book. Also a very quick read. I read it in two days.
Amanda Caswell
While ok as a novel, it's currently my least favorite of hers because I didn't find it that well-written at all. The plot was fine, but the flow was off and events either happened too quickly or too slowly. And Nunes may have got the idea later for her Autumn Rain novels (she's a main character here), but it's weird not to have anything of her gift for impressions mentioned here.
Susan
A very unusual meeting of adopted twins! I thought about Jane Seymour's eyes as I read this story. Tawnia and Autumn are really likeable. With the devistations we experience these days, the story was very realistic, and how awful to lose a loved one in such a tragic way. I really liked how Tawnia finally came to terms with her upbringing, and that her parents really did love her.
Susan
Good adventure story possibilities. A woman, Tawna, makes another move, five in ten years, to Portland, OR. A bridge crossing a river there in destroyed, killing thirty+ people, when a boat runs into the bridge. Her old boyfriend, Bret, an engineer, is called in to examine the bridge to look for why it collapsed. He meets a girl there on the riverbank who looks like Tawna.
Diane Bell
This is one of those books where the first few pages were interesting, and then it all went downhill from there. By the end of the book, I was wondering why I was still reading it, and only finished out out of the smallest amount of curiousity possible. The characters were OK, but the romance was ho-hum, and the story line was mediocre. Nunes has done better.
Tracy
Heather
I've read Rachel Ann Nunes Arianna series and LOVED every book. This book caught my eye and it was a good read. I caught on to how the end was going to be towards the beginning and was getting tired of waiting for everything to pan out. It ended how I thought and it was a good ending, but I wanted there to be more. Good read, but I wouldn't read again.
Misty
I very much enjoyed this. But I'm a sucker for LDS fiction, especially when it's set outside of UT. lol. This was set close to home (Portland) and actually didn't have the church in it at all. It was somewhat predictable, but I thought she did a great job portraying the sister relationship. I'm sure I'll hang on to this one and read it again.
E.A.
I have never read anything by Rachel Ann Nunes. This book had my attention. I liked the characters, for the most part. I did have a little issue with what Autumn and Tawnia were doing for a bit but otherwise I thought the story was interesting. I didn't guess the end and I will be reading the next ones in the series.
Alysia
This book was great. I always love reading a good book without language and sex. This goes to show that you don't need those things...even in a book that isn't religously-based to make a good story. There were even some twists that I didn't expect in the book, and it even turned out happy in the end.
Shannon
Mar 01, 2009 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everything
Tawnia moves to Portland, Oregon leaving behind all the problems of her relationship with Bret. Because of a tragedy Bret soon follows her to Oregon and runs in another young women that looks exactly like Tawnia. Are these two women twins that has been seperated at birth? or is there another possiblity.
Peg
Tripped into this one on goodreads. Thanks to whoever pointed out that it is a prequel to the Autumn Rain imprints series. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as a stand-alone, but going back in time and gaining the background on some of these characters has been a lot of fun.
Swhe641200
LeDene's Book. I like Rachel Ann Nune. This one is about a girl who is in Oregon just moves from Nevada and a bridge collapes and her old boyfiend is sent to come help investigate. He meets this girl that look like and has same eyes come to find out they are sisters.
Kallie Hollingshead
This book was good. At parts it was a bit slow, but the overall development of the characters and the story was good. I thought the end could have used a little work. It just ended, all the sudden everything was fine. Other than that though, it was a good book.
  • The Sound of Rain
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Hometown Girl (Butterfly Box, #2)
  • Her Good Name
  • Journey Home
  • Don't Cry Wolf
  • The Bishop's Bride
21980
Rachel Ann Nunes (pronounced noon-esh) learned to read when she was four and by seventh grade knew she was going to be an author. Now as a stay-at-home mother of seven, it isn't easy to find time to write, but she will trade washing dishes or weeding the garden for an hour at the computer any day! Her only rule about writing is to never eat chocolate at the computer. "Since I love chocolate and wr...more
More about Rachel Ann Nunes...
Ariana: The Making of a Queen (Ariana, #1) Daughter of a King Ariana: A Gift Most Precious (Ariana, #2) Ariana: A New Beginning (Ariana, #3) Winter Fire