Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery, #7)

Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery #7)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,344 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Siblings couldn't be more opposite than Anne George's hilarious southern sisters. Flamboyant, much-married Mary Alice, with her empress-sized figure and matching libido, is always on the lookout for her next rich husband, while prim, proper, pint-sized former-schoolteacher Patricia Anne is perfectly happy with her one and only, good old Fred. Yet with the sisters' penchant...more
Published July 3rd 2000 by William Morrow (first published 2000)

Animal Farm by George Orwell1984 by George OrwellOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckCurious George by H.A. ReyThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
By George!
113th out of 194 books — 33 voters
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best Siblings Book
387th out of 415 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

Luann
I recently read an old interview with Anne George where she gives a great summary of Murder Carries a Torch: "Patricia Anne and Mary Alice's cousin, Pukey Lukey, is in trouble. His wife has run away with a snake handling preacher from Chandler Mountain who has been been found dead. The girls to the rescue."

This would be in my top two or three favorite of the Southern Sisters mysteries. I found myself bursting out with laughter quite a few times while reading this. Patricia Anne and Mary Alice we...more
Jane
I am very sad that this author has passed away. This is the last one that I get to read - and probably the best. There are snake handling religious folks, a wife that leaves her husband to go to a dance competition with and Internet acquaintance and another love interest for Aunt Sister. Both sisters are so interesting and the family is so warm and close. I'll miss reading about them.
Terri
This series is so good. Great story and the 2 southern sisters just make me laugh out loud. Unfortunately there is only one left in the series and the author, Ann George,has passed away. Will miss these ladies.
Linda
I really enjoy the Southern Sisters mysteries and wish there were more of them. This one has the sisters getting mixed up with some murders up on Chandler Mountain and of course mayhem ensues.
Barb
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m...more
Lorna
I usually don't care for silly mysteries but in this case I do. I get a kick out of these two Southern sisters.
☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes
Easy 3.5 book. Delightful cozy about two 60ish sisters who live in Birmingham, AL. Their cousin's wife has disappeared and he asks them for help to track her down. That leads to a discovery of a murder in a small Alabama church. I thought the two sisters, who are polar opposites, were hilarious in their relationship with each other and with others in their family. The author of this series died in March 2001, so many of the other books in this series are getting hard to find. I hope to find a fe...more
Diana
A light murder mystery. Two sixtyish sisters, Patricia Anne and Mary Alice become involved in the murder of two people. It starts when their cousin, Pukey Lukey, wife runs off with a painter who is painting their home. This man is not only a house painter, but a snake handling snake handler.
Story takes place in a "mountain" area of Alabama. Everyone in the story is a little flaky.
Ends up there are 2 murders. This is a story you can read when you are weary from stories that are so heavy that yo...more
Janice
I continue to love this series; in this one, sisters Mary Alice (Sister) and Patricia Ann (Mouse) are trying to help their cousin Pukey Lukey track down his wife, who has run off with a house-painter/snake-handling preacher. Now the preacher (Monk) is dead, and the wife (Virginia) is missing. The bantering between these two sisters, ages 61 and 65, sometimes sounds like the sibling spats I had with my sisters when we were kids--these two continue their love/irritation for each other even as they...more
Wendy
Another enjoyable read in the Southern Sisters Mystery series. While this one is not as good as the books in the beginning of the series, it is still a lot of fun to ride along with Mouse and Sister as they bumble their way through murder mystery after murder mystery. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with the family in the next book since I know that it is the last in the series. Gonna miss these two characters and their families when I am done.
Jan
Mouse and her husband, oh and Sister, have barely gotten back from Poland, when cousin Pukey Lukey enlists their help in finding his wife who has run off with a snake handling, house painting minister. Fighting jet lag, the sisters search for the missing wife turns up a couple of dead bodies and (cring) snakes.

I hope you will try this series. It is less about the mystery and more about the wonderfully fun and a bit crazy family. Enjoy
Susan
Cousin Luke begs sisters Mary Alice and Patricia Anne to find his missing wife, who seems to have run off with a part-time preacher/house painter. They do locate his church, but there's a strange woman dead in one of the pews. Luke's wife Virginia is nowhere to be found--so why should the sisters keep investigating? Well, there's curiosity, of course, and Mary Alice thinks the local sheriff would make an ideal fourth husband.
Crystal
Listened to this one on audio - it was on sale and it was cute. A decent mind candy read, but nothing life changing.
Kristen
I'm down to my final four 2008 crossover books. I'll finish 2 more next week and the last two two weeks from here. Hooray! Then it'll be January books and some February ones, until I can request more real soon. Will let you know. Although this is the second to the last one in the series and I missed ones in between before this, I'll do more later this year. A great read for three days with adventure and drama for this cozy.
Jenny
I love the sisters so these books can't do much wrong. However, the ending came very quickly and some pieces weren't matched up. (Like why was Susan acting suspiciously toward the cameo necklace? Why is the father still pretending he can't walk?)

I thought the emails between Haley and Patricia Anne were unnecessary but it does flesh out the relationship between mother and daughter.
Moon Stumpp
I listened to the entire series of 8 books on audio so the books for me were like one very long book. So I will review the entire series. Listening to them on audio was a joy…I laughed myself silly a couple of times. Mouse and Sister’s adventures will put a smile on your face, no matter what age you are.
Rob
The first of these novels I read. I was hooked. For one thing, I have relatives like Luke. For another

For my review of the series, see Murder on a Girls' Night Out.
Peggy Sinden
Wow, the southern sisters are in for duration of this storyline. Runaway bride, snake handlers, snake handlers dying, rattle snakes in the back seat of the car, Debbie has a healthy baby boy, Haley in in Rome with the Pope and Patricia Anne and Mary Alice are right there in the middle of it all. You got to read it!
Kay
I probably would have given it another star because George's books are fun easy reads. However, this one dealt with religious snake handlers and anything to do with snakes are my downfall. If I had nightmares last night I would have subtracted another star..... but I slept quite well!
Lisa Bork
Whodunnit starring two retired sisters who solve crimes, this time the disappearance of their cousin's wife and the death of a beautiful woman found inside a snakehandling church. Love the relationship draw between the two opposite sisters.
Rachel
Sisters Patricia Anne and Mary Alice agree to help their cousin Luke track down his wife Virginia who ran off with their house painter. This leads them to a snake handling church and a new love interest. A fun mystery.
Lesley
This story got off to a slow start for me, but by the end I liked it. The sisters make a pretty good team, and I liked the Alabama backdrop. The narrator did a good job with the voices and accents.
Vicky
First time I've read Anne George-fun mystery series about a pair of elderly sisters from the South. Good to listen to in the car-don't have to worry about kids hearing anything inappropriate.
Lisa Greer
Jan 10, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers/southerners
Shelves: mystery
If you have ever lived in Birmingham, AL, these will entertain you. The author died a few years ago, but she could write geriatric mysteries and make the foibles of the south quite funny. :)
Diane
I loved this series! Mouse and Mary Alice are hilarious and the conversations between them are spot on! The untimely death of Anne George represents a loss to the cozy mystery world...
Lynn Lipinski
An easy read, written with whimsy and a lot of personality. I did have trouble keeping track of all of the characters, because there were so many introduced in the beginning.
Laura Alden
I've enjoyed all of the Southern Sisters Mysteries, but for some reason I found this one even better than the others. I might just have to read it again to figure out why...
Bernie
Nice fluff, but way too folksy. The ladies are in their sixties, so give up the childhood nicknames -- Mouse, Sister and Pukey-Lukey for goodness sake.
Glenda
7th book in the Southern Sisters mystery series. I love these stories. They are funny. On to the next book "Murder Boogies with Elvis." What a title.
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #21)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #5)
  • Maggody and the Moonbeams (Arly Hanks, #13)
  • Bridesmaids Revisited (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
  • This One and Magic Life: A Novel of a Southern Family
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit...more
More about Anne George...
Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters Mystery, #1) Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2) Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters Mystery, #3) Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4) Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)