Start by marking “Monkey Business” as Want to Read:

Sarah Mlynowski

Monkey Business

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  2,362 ratings  ·  61 reviews
MB is for Masters in Business

Which is what Kimmy, Russ, Jamie, and Layla are supposed to be studying for at the University of Connecticut. Jamie at least has serious academic intent. Well, until the first day of preterm when he develops a not-so-secret crush.

MB is for Marriage Bait

Layla's goal is perfection: perfect marks, perfect six-figure salary, perfect (I.e. rich, gor
392 pages
Published 2004 by Red Dress Ink (Australia)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Business

Tina
Ugh. This was a real stinker. The book was clearly written by a Canadian trying to write an American novel. The phrasing was off and aspects of the story were clearly not researched. I actually checked to author's bio to confirm that she was Canadian. She describes people getting their MBA as going to "B-school" and living in a dorm like 18 year olds. Not in this country, sorry. Most 27 year olds don't stay on campus and play spin the bottle; they're working their actual jobs while going to scho ...more
Cassandra Krenn
Sep 07, 2007 Cassandra Krenn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers.
Still doesn't compare to Milkrun (in my opinion). But I liked it a whole lot more than Fishbowl. It's funny. And when I read it, I felt like I could relate to the main character. I should read it again because it deals with these people in business school and all their experiences. And I'm a marketing major...so ya know. =)
Wendy
I hated the first quarter of this, and didn't finish. I didn't like any of the characters, and an actual plot had yet to develop, so I put it down and shortly after I got rid of it.
Pinky
Yup!

My favorite kind of business. After hedge-fund management and compliance officer.

Can't wait to read this!
Amanda Long
I fell in love with Sarah Mlynowski's writing after picking up a copy of "As Seen On TV." I know over the past few years I have read it 4 or 5 times. It is a great book that I know will pick me up when I have been reading too many books that are serious. It was a great book when you just want something fun to read. I then found her Magic in Manhattan series. Being a teen librarian, I was so happy to find something of hers that I could recommend to my students. When I saw that the ebook version o ...more
Devon
`MONKEY BUSINESS' is the second book by Sarah Mylnowski that I have read, the first being `AS SEEN ON TV', and while I didn't love `AS SEEN ON TV' I did really enjoy her writing style. Now her fourth novel, `MONKEY BUSINESS' brings that same style to the table but with what is in my opinion a better story line and more likeable characters.

In her fourth novel Sarah takes us to the competitive world of a top ten business school with four very distinct and interesting characters:

First you have Kimm
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
digital edition
I read this for a challenge and confess I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. It wasn't bad, it just didn't capture me.
Four twenty-somethings are attending University of Connecticut Business School for different reason and you shift between their points of view so that each gets equal time. These four very different personalities meet and interact (often) on several level and exude normalcy and run of the mill.
Kimmy is there to find a husband and an express lane to
Stephanie
I enjoyed this book. It was a light and easy read. Sometimes you just need to read a book without having to put alot of thought into it. It was written from four different POVs and the author did a good job of relaying the different characters personalities.

Kimmie spent most of the book wallowing in self-pity and low self-esteem. She was selfish and immature. I, at time, had trouble remembering that she was in grad school and not an undergrad. Her lack of knowledge about the classes she is takin
Kale Hummus  Hummus
I was looking for a new chick lit novel to read, and wanted something comparable to Sophie Kinsella. I heard that Sarah Mlynowski had a similar fluffiness to her writing, so I decided to check out Monkey Business. I really liked the book and the writing, but I HATED the characters. I am sure they were written to make me hate them, since they are business students and MBAs are generally the douchiest of the douchiest.

I started off absolutely HATING the character of Kimmy, because she is everythin
Nicholas
A fast moving story that was cute and entertaining to read. One thing that made me dislike the book was the writing. It wasn't really one of my favorites. The story at times was predictable, but I didn't mind. It is one of those summer beach reads, kind of like a cheesy reality show that I just didn't want to put down. There were a lot of twist and turns. At times while reading the book the characters were at time relatable.
Katie
So this book was really interesting in the respect that it was written form the standpoint of 4 different students starting their masters in business school, and follows them through their first year. The stories all become so intertwined that it makes for some interesting interactions, and i think it all rings very true to human character. However, i was really distressed by the part where Russ was cheating on his girlfriend back home, and how easily he kept justifying it to himself. It makes i ...more
Ilse
wat kan je zeggen over dit boek?

het is geen serieus boek, geen roman, misschien een chicklit of eerder een erg lang stationrommanetje,..

het leest erg vlot, maar lijkt soms ook erg snel geschreven te zijn, soms erg vergezocht, soms erg slordig

maar toch heeft het boek iets wat ervoor zorgt dat je blijft doorlezen om te kijken wat er nog gaat gebeuren.
sabrina
Just awful. Didn't finish, irritated at the time I did spend on it.
Claire
I read this book in one day! It was a great story and reading it brought me back to my college years and the types of things college students get into. The only part that I found slightly confusing was that is was 4 different people's stories and they were all written in the first person. The distinction between them was the chapter titles, so sometimes I found myself slightly confused and having to flip back to remind myself who's story I was reading!
Emily
Definetly a beach read. I had a hard time with this book because it seemed unrealistic, but aren't most beach reads? It's about these graduate students who are pursuing their MBAs and they live in a dorm. How many graduate students live in dorms? Then they have a party and play spin the bottle. Hello, how old are you? Besides my annoyance for the 'high school' drama it was a fast read and is entertaining.
Roxanne
I loved this story! I loved the different viewpoints, and all the characters and the justifications and observations they had. It was fun to see how someone's opinion of you is so different from your self-perception. Very cool, and there should be more stories like this! It was a bit feminist for my taste, but the message was good, so I didn't mind the slight preaching at the end so much.
Am Wilkins
Didn't actually finish reading this book. Seems cute but not my cup of tea.
Samantha
I hated every character and thought they were whiney idiots.
Kellie
Oh my gosh, I loved this book!! Interesting characters, and lots of twists and turns. It was so easy to relate to all of the characters in one way or another, because what they dealt with is such common issues for everyone.

I have yet to read a bad Sarah Mlynowski book. She writes the best chick lit, in my opinion!
This had a fast moving story but was not well written. The story was predictable and the characters were stale. And I don't know what grad school the author went to or heard about but this is no school I've ever heard of. This seemed more like a bunch of undergrads then adults looking to get their MBA.
Uthpala
Loved the story!! Specially the story of Kimmy and Russ. I found Layla and Jamie pretty boring for some reason. The hidden guy (Was it Nick?), I wish his character came out more. Liked that it was not the predictable happy ending, but more of a what's-meant-to-happen-in-real-life sort of an ending.
Nikki
Jul 11, 2007 Nikki rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
At first I liked the idea of a book being told by four different characters within the story. However, two of the characters turned out to be totally unlikeable, and the plot lines were not very well-developed. I'm usually into "girly" books, but this one was painful to read (I forced my way through it.)
Sharal Hunter
Average story. I liked the characters for the most part but had a difficult time relating to most of them or having any empathy. The hardest was Russ and Kimmy. I thought their whole relationship was completely inappropriate from the start...
Barbara
I learned that she's better at multiple povs than straight forward ones. And that you need to leave your versimilitude moments at the door and you'll be fine. Better than I anticipated.
Angelina Estrada
Fun to read! This book takes you into the lives of four students who are majoring in business while searching for pretty much what everyone wants in life: love, health, and wealth.
Kara
I read this as a Kindle edition, and it seemed much shorter than the listed 392 pages. Maybe because the story was so bad that I aimlessly turned pages without even realizing it?
Auriella
I felt like this book jumped around a lot to feel more interesting than it already was. I would consider reading another book by this author but we'll see.
Kelly-anne.♥.
Jul 10, 2011 Kelly-anne.♥. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick-lit fans
Recommended to Kelly-anne.♥. by: my boyfriend's sister
Shelves: borrowed-library
This book was an easy read, very interesting and kept me laughing the whole time!! I really enjoyed it, and recommend it to those who love chick-lit! ;)
Suzanne
It was better than I expected. I'm not a big fan of books where the chapters are told by different characters, but I ended up liking the book anyway.
Maria
made me laugh... a really simple read, especially if you miss all the drama from living in the dorms at college. i really enjoyed it
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Tales of a Drama Queen
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • My Fake Wedding
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • Sleeping Over
  • Testing Kate
Sarah is the author of BRAS & BROOMSTICKS, FROGS & FRENCH KISSES, SPELLS & SLEEPING BAGS and PARTIES & POTIONS—all in the YA ‘Magic in Manhattan’ series, as well as GIMME A CALL and the upcoming TEN THINGS WE DID (AND PROBABLY SHOULDN'T HAVE). Along with Lauren Myracle and E. Lockhart, she also wrote HOW TO BE BAD.

Sarah’s five novels for adults, MILKRUN, FISHBOWL, AS SEEN ON TV, MO
More about Sarah Mlynowski...
Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan, #1) Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2) Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #4) Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)