Betraying Our Troops: The Destructive Results of Privatizing War

Betraying Our Troops: The Destructive Results of Privatizing War

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews

In thisshocking exposé, two government fraud experts reveal how private contractors have put the lives of countless American soldiers on the line while damaging our strategic interests and our image abroad. From the shameful war profiteering of companies like Halliburton/KBR to the sinister influence that corporate lobbyists have on American foreign policy, Dina Rasor and...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Betraying Our Troops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betraying Our Troops

Steven Peterson
Jonathan Alter begins this book in his foreword with a statement that summarizes the essence of the book's argument (Page xi): "The key to understanding the staggering level of incompetence [in America's managing the war in Iraq:] is the privatizing of the Iraq War. For the first time in American history, a huge chunk of the personnel involved in a war--nearly half by some accounts--are neither active duty nor reservists but contractors."

Dina Rasor and Robert Bauman use interviews with several...more
Bruce
A well written book exposing the fallacious argument that outsourcing will save money. In the case of the Iraq War started by Bush 43 and initially run by Donald Rumsfeld it enriched the coffers of Halliburton's subsidiary KBR among other bandits. (Remember Chaney was head of Halliburton before becoming VP, also note that the contract for Halliburton to 'provide support' for the troops was sole-source. The book has made me angry, wanting to see people punished at the highest levels. After recent...more
Richard
If this book does not "set your blood to boiling" regarding outsourcing of our military ventures, nothing will. The troops really have been betrayed. Some things should never be "run for profit." Corporations should have been put out of existence and corporate managers should have been sent to prison. I don't support capital punishment, but.... The authors, in their last paragraph say it best:

"If the war service industry is here to stay, how will we feed the contractor beast after Iraq and Afgha...more
James
Sep 26, 2007 James rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: news/politics junkies
Rasor and Bauman quickly reel off many reasons not to privatize combat, though most boil down to the profit motive: if you are paid on a percentage basis, you start doing stupid and immoral things with men and materiel so that you get paid more. They share good stories, but their writing is not only breezy but at times grammatically sub-par, and they have an annoying habit of awkwardly importing their interviewees' personal slang into the main prose passages that stitch the narrative together.

I...more
Holly
There are amazing and disheartening first-hand accounts and information that NEED TO BE READ because of their CONTENT, in spite of the run-on sentences, inane sentence fragments, and occasionally laughable punctuation.

Not as well-written or researched as Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine or even Blackwater, by Jeremy Scahill, but still worth reading.

Okay, I'll just come out with it: DID ANYONE EVEN PROOFREAD THIS BOOK for punctuation and readability prior to publication?! (I sure hope the fact-ch...more
Fredrick Danysh
The authors make the case that privatization of the military and other government functions can and often does lead to abuse and corruption by the contractors and does not necessarily same tax payers money. Examples are provided in relation to the military. A good thoughtful read.
Jim Noyes
A good read, a bit dry, but shockingly sad. Just another example of how horribly screwed up people will act and try to cover themselves under the blanket of patriotism. This will make you mad, but it's necessary to understand
Ssekajja Godfrey
Ssekajja Godfrey marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Maria Mendoza
Maria Mendoza marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Redcatfish4
Redcatfish4 marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Jonas R
Jonas R marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Ksbaxter
Ksbaxter marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Neffham
Neffham marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2012
Diana Gagliardi
Diana Gagliardi marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012
Scott
Scott added it
Jul 03, 2012
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Kurt
Kurt marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2011
Mikko
Mikko marked it as to-read
May 30, 2011
Pentagon Underground Pentagon Solutions: How to Actually Get Control of Defense Spending More Bucks, Less Bang: How The Pentagon Buys Ineffective Weapons FEMA and Disaster: A Look at What Worked and What Didn't From a FEMA Insider (Truthout Reader)