Start by marking “How to Stay Christian in College” as Want to Read:
How to Stay Christian in College

How to Stay Christian in College

How do you stay open about your faith in the face of potential ridicule? A must-read for every college student, "How to Stay Christian in College" will guide you through the maze of campus realities, including dating, sex, honesty, and more.
Published March 29th 2004 by Th1nk Books (first published April 1999)

Ryan Petrie
Jan 27, 2016 Ryan Petrie rated it liked it
I am a fairly well set Christian, and was not expecting to get much out of this book. But when I actually read it, I found myself learning some new things and greatly enjoyed this book. After reading so many new agey Christian books that rely on wishy-washy theology, it was refreshing to read this author's words which were confident and well-grounded.

Budjweski fearlessly states things as they are, and addresses controversial issues such as premarital sex and campus politics in a way that is fir
Jul 26, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
This book was ridiculous. The author took a ton of really terrible arguments (especially when concerning science) to make it seem like Christians' faith is constantly torn down. The arguments were so crafted that they were absolutely unrealistic. All of his science arguments were just wrong to begin with, so there wasn't a point in crafting arguments to his points in the first place.

And secondly, as a person who has now attended a number of different colleges through grad school, the sheer numb
Michael
Apr 05, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
The perfect audience for this book would be high-school graduates going away to a secular university for their freshman year. Sometimes I found the book's language rather blunt, and some of the issues were a bit dumb downed. But I did garner some insights from the book, especially the thought that love is a commitment of the will to the true good of the other person and that there are truths that we can't not know because of how God has made us. Overall, I liked it, but I wish the author had dea ...more
David
Apr 20, 2015 David rated it did not like it
My brother gave me this book my Freshman year of college. I actually read the whole thing, I think, if only because I spent so much time lying on my spine-crushing dorm bed in a depressive haze. I found it supremely confusing. The basic thesis seemed to be that a hypothetical future me, acquiring some sort of education in college, might have his identity defaced by ideas which aren't explicitly Christian. The author seemed to suggest that present me make a preemptive attack on future me's faithl ...more
Johnny
May 11, 2014 Johnny rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
There are a couple of nuances about postmodernism and Christianity that I’d love to discuss with this author, but the overall scope of this book deserves an emphatic recommendation to people thinking about college, people in college, parents of those two groups, and those who guide and counsel those three groups. It’s a much-needed work in today’s world. It clearly addresses the disconnect between the portion of secular culture that thinks it has to destroy faith in order to build with science a ...more
alexandra
Mar 18, 2007 alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad's book!
Jessica Journey
Jun 06, 2012 Jessica Journey rated it it was amazing
July 2011:
How to Stay Christian in College is a terrific read that is just what it sounds like- a book that gives lots of advice on how to handle difficult situations in college.

It was interesting, and a nice refresher course on the technicalities of what I believe. The author being a college professor gave the book a nice angle- he's seen everything.

In a way, I couldn't put it down. I think because it had so much truth, not something you see a lot in many books.

Highly recommended for all my Ch
Eva
Jun 22, 2012 Eva rated it did not like it
"First, That means that [love's] adult expression is not sex but the binding promises of marriage

Second, sex outside of marriage doesn't help you understand sex... it makes your understanding of sex worse.

Third, having sex with another person tells you nothing about whether the two are compatible, and living together tells you nothing about whether a marriage between you would work.

Fourth, sex outside of marriage isn't romantic... it's the opposite.

Fifth, sex outside of marriage doesn't hold rel
Tirzah
Jul 24, 2016 Tirzah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
I read this book 5 years ago - the summer before I started college (good grief, I am old!). Budziszweksi definitely gives a general idea of what young people embarking into the real world will face - Christians, atheists, agnostics, liberals, conservatives - I met them all.

The book discusses worldviews (i.e., Naturalism, Postmodernism), myths about culture (i.e., sex, politics), and how one can cope through it all without losing his or her Christian perspective.

I recommend this to anyone who st
Dec 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I do appreicate Budziszewski's humor and straightfoward approach. He does not pull punches and makes you think about your faith. I felt his arguments and advice were relevant and valid. I thought some of the things he mentioned in this book were a little "obvious" (for me, at least) but some people might not think of them and so it's good to be reminded of these elements. I'd definitely recommend for college-age youth and any person looking for ideas on how to keep their faith while in this type ...more
Dottie Parish
How to Stay Christian in College is beautifully written in an entertaining style. The Author, a college professor, offers practical tips on navigating most every aspect of living on a college campus including dating, sex, and roommate issues. He is a philosopher and skilled at explaining in a logical way how to stand firm in your faith and how to defend your faith in a secular environment where it may be questioned. Though this book is written for young people, parents and grandparents should re ...more
Eric Pruitt
Sep 17, 2016 Eric Pruitt rated it liked it
First book I read as a christian. This book was helpful for breaking down the walls people build when understanding God. I don't agree with everything here but some points are helpful. Read with a careful mind.
Carolyn
Jun 12, 2014 Carolyn rated it liked it
Good book. There were a few things that I didn't agree with, but they were minor. I also found that a lot of what was said was information I already knew. It was just information that I needed to have laid out in front of me so I would actually think it through.
Rhonnie
Dec 31, 2013 Rhonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
The title turned me off initially, but a couple pages in I quickly realized the author is a good writer--the perfect mix of casual but still direct and not condescending or lecture-y. This is not a brainwash book! Ha. At the very least, it helps people to not feel alone as a Christian on campus; it's supportive and it's a guidebook on how to research what you believe, and how to stay connected. It isn't a way to tell you to stop thinking or to be closed-minded, but how you can "stand firm" when ...more
Elzbeth
Aug 13, 2014 Elzbeth rated it really liked it
Some pretty practical advice from a Christian professor at a secular college. He's pretty blunt about his advice and doesn't mind stepping on toes, but it's good, practical advice.
Ariel
Jun 24, 2012 Ariel rated it liked it
I started this book back in the end of 2011, and just recently resumed and finished it. At first I was very confused after having such a large gap, but I quickly got back into it. Each chapter is focused one on aspect of the college experience, and they're filled with examples of situations you could face and how to deal with them. One thing I really didn't like is that the author frequently instilled his own specific beliefs are if they were fact, rather than realizing that even Christians have ...more
Bobby
May 02, 2008 Bobby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps Orwell's 1984 displayed the greatest recipe for maintaining faith in an idea.

Crimestop, Doublethink, Blackwhite.

If you've decided that a Christian you are and a Christian you will stay, maintaining that kind of faith is as simple as denying your mind the freedom to think otherwise.

But what kind of faith is that? An impersonal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Think the unthinkable, challenge your beliefs. No one needs a book to teach themselves how to believe what they already want to beli
Clement Lee
Feb 10, 2016 Clement Lee rated it liked it
A clear and articulate guide for the youth, especially those in open hostile anti-christian environments.
Luke
Jan 19, 2012 Luke rated it it was amazing
Honestly, one of the best-written, beginning apologetics books I've read. I would encourage any and all believers to read this book before they head off to the secular humanist utopia we call college.

It doesn't delve too deeply into any of the topics (and rightly so in an introductory book) but offers practical, real-world situations that people will face in college. Honestly, I wish I would've read this book before I went to college.
Marcus
Aug 07, 2009 Marcus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm just not conservative enough anymore... but I thought this was total bullshit. True, people need to be alerted to what they will encounter in college and how that may/may not impact their faith walk. But I completely denounce the idea of not allowing people to grown and change in their thinking and spirituality at such a critical time in their lives. This is unrealistic and probably more stifling than anything.
Sergio Fesiuk
Sep 14, 2010 Sergio Fesiuk rated it liked it
J. Budzixzewski does a great job in writing this book in a "I'm talking with you" kind of style. It's very practical and has much common sense. If you are dealing with college kids, either teaching them, talking with them, or especially if you are in college - you should have this book handy. It's a how-to for a intellectual thinking, learning person.
Chad
Dec 24, 2008 Chad rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who is going to college or is in college
If you are a Christian and are planning on going to college, you should pick up this book! Each college is different, but it gives you tips on how to handle certain situations that you may encounter at your institution. Remember that the tips may not be applicable at the time, but God has a way of utilizing what we learn in His time.
Kevin
Aug 17, 2012 Kevin rated it it was ok
It is very well written...I thought it was a good book when I read it in high school, but it didn't prevent me from giving up conservative evangelical views on topics like the inerrancy of Scripture and the validity of homosexual relationships while at UNC, so how effective of a volume could it have been in retrospect?
Rachel Leonard
Jan 12, 2014 Rachel Leonard rated it it was amazing
A must read for all Christians in college.
Polly
Jul 20, 2012 Polly rated it liked it
This book had some good advice for young people headed to college. The author is not of my specific faith, but we share many of the same values. The current academic definition of being open-minded somehow often excludes respect for people of faith, so students need to be prepared for that.
Acacia
Sep 03, 2013 Acacia rated it it was amazing
A really, really, really good book. It was thought-provoking, and it really answered a lot of questions I've had for years about how to talk to people about Christ. I really enjoyed this book, and I'm definitely bringing it to school with me for future reference! :)
Dan
Dec 04, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
so far very good it brings out good new perspectives on apologetic's for the christian in college with a lot of factors you will deal with, and a huge encouragement to stand firm in the faith. wish I had read before I went to college!
Jen Hsieh
My sister sent this to me during my first year of college. Looking back I was too self righteous and bigoted to accept what it was saying. Reading it now as a refresher.
Milton Moon Louie
Jan 19, 2012 Milton Moon Louie rated it liked it
Shelves: religious, own
Very honest in his Christian point of view concerning things and thoughts that may affects one's faith while in college.
Tim Sheppard
May 13, 2011 Tim Sheppard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great common sense. We need more of this clear thinking these days. Check out his column on boundless.org!
  • Thriving at College: Make Great Friends, Keep Your Faith, and Get Ready for the Real World!
  • Beyond Belief to Convictions
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • Know Why You Believe
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • The Whole Life Adoption Book: Realistic Advice for Building a Healthy Adoptive Family
  • That's My Girl: How a Father's Love Protects and Empowers His Daughter
  • The Gospel as Center: Renewing Our Faith and Reforming Our Ministry Practices
  • 40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate: Creative Ways to Meet the Love Needs of Husbands and Wives
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
  • Moment Maker: You Can Live Your Life or It Will Live You
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings:  Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • The Questions Christians Hope No One Will Ask: (With Answers)
  • The Case for Christ, Youth Edition: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence of Jesus
J. Budziszewski (born 1952) is professor of government at the University of Texas, Austin, where he has taught since 1981. He specializes in ethics, political philosophy and the interaction of these two fields with religion and theology.

Budziszewski has written widely, in both scholarly and popular venues, about a variety of moral and political issues including abortion, marriage, sexuality, capit
More about J. Budziszewski...

“...a marriage with Christ at the center of it pulls you right out of yourself. It teaches each partner, the husband and the wife, to forget about self for a while in care and sacrifice for the other. We come to ourselves by losing ourselves.” 5 likes
“To be evil at all, Satan needs good things he can abuse, things like intelligence, power and will. Those good things come from God.” 5 likes